IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace 3: Rapture Pending

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

And I've done this every. single. week. since I was 18 years old (I'm 50 now.)

Ha ha!  This is a great breakdown of the grocery shopping cycle, and I've done it ten more years than you.  When I walk through the grocery store doorway, I go into immediate day-dream/zombie mode.  Afterwards, I am surprised to see my fridge full and my pantry restocked, it is that automatic. 

:zombie:

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/17/2018 at 9:42 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

I love grocery shopping, and my favorite thing to do in a "new" place is to go to the grocery store, even on vacation. :)

If you ever seen a strange lady taking pictures of unusual items in your local grocery's frozen food section, it is probably me.

I used to hate grocery shopping, but ever since I started going to ALDI about 4 years ago, it's much more tolerable. Hardly any decisions for me to make, and prices are so cheap I don't have to spend time searching for coupons anymore. Only downside is when I put off my shopping until the most crowded times (usually Sunday afternoons) and then it gets crazy busy (but that's just like any grocery store).

2 hours ago, beepy13 said:

I used to hate grocery shopping, but ever since I started going to ALDI about 4 years ago, it's much more tolerable. Hardly any decisions for me to make, and prices are so cheap I don't have to spend time searching for coupons anymore. Only downside is when I put off my shopping until the most crowded times (usually Sunday afternoons) and then it gets crazy busy (but that's just like any grocery store).

Same with Trader Joe's for me.  There isn't one close by, but I do actually enjoy grocery shopping anytime I make it up there.

5 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

well the registry claims Jan 19th in OK but that seems late and the Duggar's are known to fib wedding dates. 

At least they didn't pick the birthday as a placeholder this time. Just near the birthday. Unless it's Abbie's birthday. 

2 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

At least they didn't pick the birthday as a placeholder this time. Just near the birthday. Unless it's Abbie's birthday. 

I was thinking the same thing when i first saw the date. and no I just looked at Fundemetlist wiki and it says her birthday is April 16th

My grocery trips are once per week (on Sunday afternoon), and a fill-in trip usually on Wednesday, for more fresh produce.

We keep track of our food stocks by using an app called AnyList, which is a running tally of what we're out of (or almost out of) in our fridge/pantry. I never shop without a specific list. If I did, I'd be in the store for six hours, and I'd spend a gazillion dollars.

We meal-prep every Sunday evening. DH is currently boiling eggs - our standard breakfast, and is getting ready to mash 5 pounds of potatoes for lunches. We also bought a big bag of romaine hearts, some red onion, fresh mushrooms, leeks, parsnips, and carrots to round out our meals. Our fruit this week consists of bananas, apples, cantaloupe, and watermelon. We bought the melons from a roadside truck in rural Missouri and they are DIVINE.

On Friday evenings we freeze whatever's left of that week's meal prep in individual serving sizes. Take one bowl to work, nuke it... there's lunch. Sometimes there's enough leftover that we don't have do to much meal prep, other than fresh veggies.

I tend to shop the sales, but sometimes I don't. I use the sale ads more for inspiration for meal ideas. Our occasional splurge is a frozen gluten-free pizza for me and battered cod for DH. Other than that, we eat clean.

I like to make detailed lists and then leave it on the kitchen counter when I go to the grocery store. Then I have to rely on my memory. I really need to get an app for grocery lists. 

I actually kind of enjoy grocery shopping, though I'm usually not the one making the list. My mom hates it, so I've been happy to take over most of the grocery shopping for our family.

19 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

I really need to get an app for grocery lists. 

Anylist is awesome. You can share lists among family members and it's real-time editing. My phone lets me know when DH edits it. Very handy.

We have a variety of lists for easy reference, including all our travel numbers (passport numbers, frequent flyer numbers, hotel rewards numbers, etc.), bucket lists, random things we need to tell each other, etc.

After reading this thread drift about housework and grocery shopping, I almost hesitated to say this: I REALLY like housework, and enjoy grocery shopping alone (one word- Wegmans!), but I LOVE to cook!

Walmart Grocery Pick Up has changed my life.....

I also venture to Trader Joe's and Aldi on occassion but now, I mostly get everything from Walmart unless I'm looking for something specific like manuka honey.

18 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I've been wanting to try this. Have you had good success with their pickers' produce selections? Like - good bananas, non-brown lettuce, etc?

23 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've been wanting to try this. Have you had good success with their pickers' produce selections? Like - good bananas, non-brown lettuce, etc?

Yes! I have. 

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

I also venture to Trader Joe's and Aldi on occassion but now, I mostly get everything from Walmart unless I'm looking for something specific like manuka honey.

I sure wish my local Walmart had that option. Someday soon, I hope it will be. 

16 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I sure wish my local Walmart had that option. Someday soon, I hope it will be. 

not sure if our walmart has this but our Meijers does and it seems to be really popular. the other day I was in front of one of the workers going through the line and the cashier said  was the fourth one in his eight hour shift and the woman was talking about how she had more after she delivered those. 

Grocery shopping is one of my favorite things.  I love to go on Sunday mornings before the church crowd,  when it’s quiet.  I shop Whole Foods because it’s close and the other grocery stores in my area kind of suck.  The good Kroger is just too far away to shop at weekly.  However, my all time favorite grocery store is Central Market. The produce section is absolutely gorgeous. 

My family tried the online shopping and delivery with King Soopers but ended up quitting because they constantly were out of stuff and substituting it with stuff. Even when we put down no substitutes because I have a specific diet I have to follow, my dad had certain restrictions because of medication he takes, and at the time my mom had stuff she couldn't eat. They would always substitute it with things we couldn't eat so Dad would always have to take it back to the store. After a couple months we quit and Dad went back to grocery shopping.  Its too bad we hoped it would take one thing off so much he already had to do. We've seen the advertisements for Walmart but our experience with King Soopers soured us on it. But its not too bad now for him to go. He shops at the grocery store where I used to work and most people of the employees worked there when I worked there. They know my whole family and have been really supportive especially since my health problems popped up and my mom's did too. They sent flowers and a bunch of food when my mom passed away. They are a really great group of people and I really can't imagine ever not shopping there.  

8 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

My family tried the online shopping and delivery with King Soopers but ended up quitting because they constantly were out of stuff and substituting it with stuff. Even when we put down no substitutes because I have a specific diet I have to follow, my dad had certain restrictions because of medication he takes, and at the time my mom had stuff she couldn't eat. They would always substitute it with things we couldn't eat so Dad would always have to take it back to the store. After a couple months we quit and Dad went back to grocery shopping.  Its too bad we hoped it would take one thing off so much he already had to do. We've seen the advertisements for Walmart but our experience with King Soopers soured us on it. But its not too bad now for him to go. He shops at the grocery store where I used to work and most people of the employees worked there when I worked there. They know my whole family and have been really supportive especially since my health problems popped up and my mom's did too. They sent flowers and a bunch of food when my mom passed away. They are a really great group of people and I really can't imagine ever not shopping there.  

Our order on line grocery lets you know when you pick up about the subs. And you can either accept or decline. If I had to go back - I'd be mad. 

We have a small grocery in town but they're SO expensive and their produce is questionable. So I prefer to rely on them for the "oh crap - I ran out of milk" things and do a big shop on line at the grocery store 25 minutes away... My husband thinks I'm nuts - but I can twice as many groceries for the same price ... it's worth it to me. And it's just a bit more time.

11 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Casually popped into this thread only to realize I left cold groceries in my car, oh, seven hours ago.

Story from YEARS ago, when I lived in Germany - so no air conditioning.

I went to the grocery store, put my groceries away, sat down to watch tv or read a book or do something while GryffindorDisappointment napped. When she woke up, I thought I'd give her a little dish of the Neapolitan ice cream that I'd just purchased. I'd bought a carton of it (the paper box, not the plastic tub) as a treat because it was SO hot that summer. Went to the kitchen and saw a giant brown sludge down the side of the fridge and across the floor.

Realized I'd set the ice cream on top of the fridge while putting everything else in the freezer and forgot it. Nasty, nasty mess.

I love walmart grocery pickup.  I do my shopping in the comfort of my own home.  I stick pretty close to what I need and am NOT enticed by "OMG that smells so good."  The only bad thing in produce has been avacados.  They are never ripe enuff.  

18 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Casually popped into this thread only to realize I left cold groceries in my car, oh, seven hours ago.

I accidentally left a Costco-sized box of frozen battered fish in the back of our van several years ago. I'd put the box in one of the big blue Trader Joe's cooler bags to keep cold, but it was the only thing in the bag so it didn't look full and I then stood the slightly squashed bag up against the side of the trunk space to make room for other things.

Everything else got taken out, but that bag got overlooked. It took several days for us to realize that there was something causing a rather unfortunate stench in the car since the smell grew fairly slowly. Thankfully it was not the dead of summer, so it wasn't in the '90s out when it happened, but that was certainly a learning experience!

I like grocery shopping more now then I did in my early 20s. Which reminds me of the day that I went grocery shopping before a tropical storm. It's a frigging tropical storm! What's it going to do? Well it knocked out the power because of high winds, not a big deal. That happens. Except the power company was pretty shitty and sort of forgot streets and yeah, I lived on one of the forgotten streets. I had to throw away all the frozen things that I had just bought and eat pizza for a while. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived