IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters: Part 6

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

• Thank You 3

• Coconut Flan pinned this topic

Not sure if this counts , but the other day , which I was taking a stroll down this back road , I came upon what looked to be a booklet on the ground . Here it was a small paperback book of religious songs , written all in German , belonging to an Amish man , whom I take it lost it from his buggy , coming back from a singing . So we're going to use the name and address in the book to try to return it to its owner .  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 7

I got an Instagram account fairly recently, mainly so I can check out fundie accounts without getting the “you need to join Instagram!” pop up when I’m trying to scroll. I don’t have anything on there myself. I was scrolling through the search bit, and a video caught my eye. It was someone getting ready for Mass. They dressed very modestly - not just a below-the-knee dress, but a full-on veil/mantilla. Then she added a fidget toy (or stim toy as she called it) and ear defenders. Turns out she’s autistic and TradCath. Her bio states that her account is a way to document her autistic life with Jesus. Not my thing (I’m autistic too but atheist), but obviously there are millions of believers in the world. The thing that made me double-take was that she’s apparently 21 and getting married this summer, but she legit looks about 10/12. It was so weird. Oh and she’s Canadian, I think. 

It made me think of something I once read about autistic people. Obviously this is a big generalisation and not all autistic people fit this! But autistic people tend to think in a very black-and-white way, and so (as an example) they can either be super-religious or very atheist, if that makes sense. I guess I was just particularly intrigued by the fact that this woman is autistic, plus the noticeable modesty/religious-ness in her profile. 

• Thank You 4

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Then she added a fidget toy (or stim toy as she called it) and ear defenders.

Side question -- what kind of fidget toy was it, please? I would assume it needed to be quiet and not distracting for the other people at her Mass. I'm always keeping an eye out for ones that can work in a classroom. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Side question -- what kind of fidget toy was it, please? I would assume it needed to be quiet and not distracting for the other people at her Mass. I'm always keeping an eye out for ones that can work in a classroom. 

I’m not quite sure, it was something that hung round her neck. Maybe something soft and squishy? The account is catholica.pandam (all lower case) if you wanted to see for yourself.

• Thank You 2

On 3/18/2024 at 5:48 PM, mango_fandango said:

I got an Instagram account fairly recently, mainly so I can check out fundie accounts without getting the “you need to join Instagram!” pop up when I’m trying to scroll. I don’t have anything on there myself. I was scrolling through the search bit, and a video caught my eye. It was someone getting ready for Mass. They dressed very modestly - not just a below-the-knee dress, but a full-on veil/mantilla. Then she added a fidget toy (or stim toy as she called it) and ear defenders. Turns out she’s autistic and TradCath. Her bio states that her account is a way to document her autistic life with Jesus. Not my thing (I’m autistic too but atheist), but obviously there are millions of believers in the world. The thing that made me double-take was that she’s apparently 21 and getting married this summer, but she legit looks about 10/12. It was so weird. Oh and she’s Canadian, I think. 

It made me think of something I once read about autistic people. Obviously this is a big generalisation and not all autistic people fit this! But autistic people tend to think in a very black-and-white way, and so (as an example) they can either be super-religious or very atheist, if that makes sense. I guess I was just particularly intrigued by the fact that this woman is autistic, plus the noticeable modesty/religious-ness in her profile. 

I can personally attest to this- was never diagnosed but I have ADHD and my girlfriend is a Sped teacher and she’s all but certain that I’m on the spectrum.

I very much tend to think in a black and white sort of way and that goes for everything. If someone tells me they’re Catholic and I don’t already know them, I’m always going to assume they’re like, hardcore TradCath until proven otherwise. Hobbies? Either you’re super super hardcore into one thing and have ZERO other interests- or you’re not into it at all.

Like when I was in high school - and I think it’s because I was so burnt out that I straight up started having a negative outlook on it - I started to assume that anyone who swims competitively likely has no interests outside of the pool, doesn’t have a social life, etc.

Not something I’m proud of, but it’s there.

• Upvote 3

I will say that Catholic inspired fashion is a micro trend on tiktok. Religious trends come and go just like so many other trends. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 3/18/2024 at 6:58 PM, mango_fandango said:

I’m not quite sure, it was something that hung round her neck. Maybe something soft and squishy? The account is catholica.pandam (all lower case) if you wanted to see for yourself.

Did you go back and see her health issues?  It was so hard to watch her struggles, but her support system was nice to see.

Her past is so confusing, but I love that she doesn’t seem to expect anyone to act like she does.  Her dressing modest while showing her undergarments makes me laugh.  From what I’ve gathered she was an atheist for a long time and fight several addictions.  If all fundamental influencers were like her, it’d be a great world to live in

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, KWLand said:

Did you go back and see her health issues?  It was so hard to watch her struggles, but her support system was nice to see.

Her past is so confusing, but I love that she doesn’t seem to expect anyone to act like she does.  Her dressing modest while showing her undergarments makes me laugh.  From what I’ve gathered she was an atheist for a long time and fight several addictions.  If all fundamental influencers were like her, it’d be a great world to live in

Yes I saw that. She doesn't say much about it, but she was bullied at school and ended up with mental health issues and (I think) a drug addiction, at least. She calls herself a "Christian/Catholic revert" so I'm guessing she was born into the faith, left it for a while and is now back. I also saw that she's had health issues; an ovarian cyst where doctors fobbed her off by saying she had anxiety. She posted recently saying that she isn't going to take legal action. I can understand why; legal action like that takes a long time and it will be horrible having to relive it all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 3/18/2024 at 5:48 PM, mango_fandango said:

Wow , I am also autistic ! Who would have thought that there would be so many of us here in one place .  As to how those on the autistic spectrum might relate to religion , given our frame of mind , it can differ from the way that others might approach it , both in belief and practice . Something to do with "theory of mind " from what I have read .   

https://www.livescience.com/20654-autism-belief-god.html  ,  https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/psyched/201205/does-autism-lead-to-atheism > ( Two articles on the subject )  

I mean I myself , for what it's worth , am an agnostic scientific pantheist . However I have stumbled on these videos on autism , as it relates to religious practice , made by a Roman Catholic priest whom is himself on the spectrum .   Here are a few of his videos. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

Not a real-life encounter per say, but the first week of the Spring100 is under way, so here are some observations

- a lot of new faces

- always weird seeing fundies wearing gear for pro sports team.

- sometimes I forget that some of these people live relatively near to me lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I accidentally deleted my pic. Does anyone know what skirts-wearing fundie sect wears round, doily-ish head coverings? We saw them at a dinosaur museum. The girls had on white ones (assume single)  and the girl with kids had black, so I assume she's married

18 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

I accidentally deleted my pic. Does anyone know what skirts-wearing fundie sect wears round, doily-ish head coverings? We saw them at a dinosaur museum. The girls had on white ones (assume single)  and the girl with kids had black, so I assume she's married

Some Mennonites wear them. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

Some form of conservative Anabaptist. Like @JermajestyDuggar, I would guess Mennonite because some of the Amish groups reverse the color (black for single, white for marriage) and Amish head coverings tend to be more sturdy and bonnet-like.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

23 minutes ago, noseybutt said:

Some form of conservative Anabaptist. Like @JermajestyDuggar, I would guess Mennonite because some of the Amish groups reverse the color (black for single, white for marriage) and Amish head coverings tend to be more sturdy and bonnet-like.

That's what I thought but I had never seen these - they reminded me of the chapel veils we wore as Catholics, which I think we folded. These were salad plate sized doily-ish.

• Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

That's what I thought but I had never seen these - they reminded me of the chapel veils we wore as Catholics, which I think we folded. These were salad plate sized doily-ish.

I have also seen some Church of the Brethren women with with doily style. 

ETA. Where it gets confusing, there is a trend on social media with some conservative women across Protestant denominations wearing head coverings and some of the coverings are not traditional. More like wide headbands. 

Edited by noseybutt
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I was in the waiting room of a doctor's office a couple of weeks ago; three women came in with their hair back and dark coverings on what was probably a bun.  They all smiled, one stopped to chat briefly; she was looking for slippers and I drew a complete blank.  On my way out two of them were still in the waiting room and I stopped to suggest an outlet mall that was fairly close.  Another person volunteered that there was a Sketcher's outlet there, and she said she needed tennis shoes for Summer.  They were all very pleasant, but this one was outgoing. m

• Upvote 3

Seeing this thread pop up made me realize I never told y'all about my encounter with the Twelve Tribes. 

This happened back in Nov 2019. I was walking along main street in my college town. I had just come from the lovely little mom and pop bookstore I frequent when I have money. I was also sicker than a dog, which is ultimately why I was out to begin with. 

There was a Yellow Deli right on a corner across from the bus station. I had to pass by to get to Rite Aid. A man was milling around outside. He had long hair and fairly simple looking clothes on. Obviously a cult member. He stopped me and introduced himself with his Hebrew name. I only knew it was Hebrew because he told me. He asked me mine and offered me free food. I politely decline and the man was flabbergasted. Flummoxed. Just the most exaggerated shocked expression I had ever seen on a face. It made me so uncomfortable. I joined the group waiting at the crosswalk and sped off. 

I started watching Owen Morgan before that encounter, so I already knew about the Twelve Tribes. It was easily one of the most awkward conversations I have ever had, and I've had plenty as an autistic woman. Just uncanny valley the whole time. My skin is crawling while typing this.

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1

On 3/25/2024 at 12:29 PM, Cults-r-us said:

Those have become rather generic among various head covering wearing Christian sects .  I have come to most commonly associate this style of headwear with the Beachy Amish-Mennonites I had played volleyball with several years ago .  I am still Facebook friends with one of the young women I'd met there , whom has since left the church . For reference,  here is a picture of one of them playing along side me .    

image.png.e921cc84f7965e890d8c2c5e132ddbd2.png

Edited by Marmion
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

And this reminds me to dispose of a couple of things in the drawer in my guest room.  I had a beloved Jewish friend; he was a Holocaust surviver and lived to be 104.  I had gotten a little lacy head covering for myself and a yarmulka for another friend in case we attended his funeral.  I never thought of him being buried in Israel, but he (and more recently his wife) was, so I'll keep my daughter from wondering what in the world I meant by those, when my time comes.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Does anyone know if the term “Easter Triduum” is a TradCath thing?

Guy at my firm who I’m doing a project for was out Thursday/today is out, citing the above as the reason for his absence. Has a very Irish name so wouldn’t be surprised if he’s Irish Catholic but in my limited dealings with him he hasn’t given off really religious vibes (then again, I’ve worked with two guys who went to Pensacola and Bob Jones and they didn’t give off super religious vibes on our calls either so 🤷‍♂️).

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SwimmerBoy29 said:

Easter Triduum” is a TradCath thing?

Easter Triduum refers to the time from Maundy Thursday to Easter Sunday. It is a liturgical thing, so while traditional Catholics observe this time, other Christian groups, especially those who follow a liturgical tradition participate as well. 

Our Church had a service last night that included foot washing. Tonight we have a service to honor Holy Friday (called Good Friday by most Americans).

• Thank You 4

I encountered a fundie family today. It was a mother and eight kids- all the girls plus their mom were wearing long skirts or dresses, and the boys had button down shirts and slacks on. I thought they were Hutterites at first (someone else saw them and told me that Hutterites are like elk- the further away you get from cities in our state, the more you see them 😆), but quickly realized they didn't have head coverings on and that they spoke perfectly English without any accents to each other.

It wasn't until I saw their minibus with a crucifixion sticker on it that I realized they were TradCaths!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, indianabones said:

I encountered a fundie family today. It was a mother and eight kids- all the girls plus their mom were wearing long skirts or dresses, and the boys had button down shirts and slacks on. I thought they were Hutterites at first (someone else saw them and told me that Hutterites are like elk- the further away you get from cities in our state, the more you see them 😆), but quickly realized they didn't have head coverings on and that they spoke perfectly English without any accents to each other.

It wasn't until I saw their minibus with a crucifixion sticker on it that I realized they were TradCaths!

For some reason my club swim team growing up was the one that all of the families at the local Catholic school swam for.

There was a guy in my specific group whose family was pretty Catholic- he had at least four other siblings and was homeschooled and I believe wound up at one of the Big East schools (not Butler or UConn). His mom always stood out like a sore thumb because it would be like 7am on a Saturday and she’d be standing behind the block with a stopwatch taking times in a maxi dress and a cardigan. Very nice family though.

Edited by SwimmerBoy29
  • Upvote 4