IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace 3: Rapture Pending

Coconut Flan

@SapphireSlytherin I do this too! I love doing grocery shopping on vacation! We always book appartements or small houses when we are on vacation so grocery shopping is necessary. I love to walk around the aisles and see the differences between countries. I buy things I never saw before (like kiwi juice this time) and I even bought window cleaner (because I love to buy cleaning supplies). 

I can spend hours in grocery stores just with looking at everything!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

@SapphireSlytherin I do this too! I love doing grocery shopping on vacation! We always book appartements or small houses when we are on vacation so grocery shopping is necessary. I love to walk around the aisles and see the differences between countries. I buy things I never saw before (like kiwi juice this time) and I even bought window cleaner (because I love to buy cleaning supplies). 

I can spend hours in grocery stores just with looking at everything!

I look up which stores are close by my holiday appartment and plan to go to the biggest one.

I love looking into products I don't have at home and cooking with them. Our car is also always loaded with products to bring home.

@Scrabblemaster and @CarrotCake - we've already figured that we'll be buying groceries during our Iceland trip because restaurant food is outrageously expensive there. We've narrowed down our AirBnB choices, along with a couple of hotels that have kitchenettes in the rooms. Can't WAIT to try real Icelandic food. And apparently, their hotdogs are the.shit. We shall see. :) 

16 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

@Kittikatz Barometric pressure migraines are totally a thing. And not one many doctors seem familiar with. I always get a look when I tell them. Feel you there.

Yes I as well get migraines triggered by sudden barometric changes. My doctor said to take a decongestant like pseudoephedrine as soon as a migraine is starting and I have noticed it has helped. I have also taken a psuedoephidrine  the night before if i see on the forecast the change will happen early morning. 

Just a thought. 

@Peaches1981 Thanks for passing that along - I'll try anything at this point. The shifts are so bad here I feel like I'm living in a constant migraine.

Also, I did get a daith piercing. They are supposed to help migraines, and while it was far from a cure for me for I think mine has somewhat muted the more aggressive auras and some of the other secondary effects that I used to be swamped with. It may be worth a try for some of the other migraine sufferers out there. 

On 7/29/2018 at 12:23 AM, VanillaBean said:

Confession...I did not what the rapture was until I was about 35.  Never heard of it in my Catholic school or, as an adult, my unchurched social circle. I unwittingly found a copy of "Left Behind" on a plane. And thus began my fundie obsession.

Going back to this (I’m way behind on this thread)...you found a copy of “Left Behind” that was....left behind? 

This endlessly amuses me.

Apologies this joke has already been made. Gotta go back and catch up 

One of my Facebook friends is peddling plexus. Her latest post is about how a supplement has the same amount of Vitamin B as 40 bananas! Wow! I wonder if she knows that the B complex is water soluble so your body is just flushing out what it can’t use on a regular basis. 

On 8/17/2018 at 5:57 AM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I love going grocery shopping alone. In the summer, my kids usually have to come along, and I don't like it much. I know it's good for them, to see how much things cost, and to learn the reasons for buying one product instead of another, but it does make shopping a lot more work. When they go back to school, I'm going to be like a dog let off its leash. I'll be looking up and down every aisle, just to see what's there! :pb_lol:

If I go grocery shopping alone it tends to cost a lot less. It's not because of buying extra junk food or treats for the kids when they're there. It's because I have the time to do a bit of quick maths and planning. So I may have planned on making a certain meal but if the main ingredient for another is on special and I already have the store cupboard basics needed for it then that small change will make a saving. I just cannot concentrate that much when I have everyone with me. 

On the other hand I am adamant that my boys learned a lot of their counting, reading, colour and shape skills in a supermarket trolley. I talked to them constantly while shopping to keep them occupied so it was a constant stream of "can you find a green apple?" " can you tell me what number this aisle is?" "we need 4 tins of beans, can you count them for me?". Scan as you shop was introduced when my youngest was a toddler and he loved watching the numbers add up as we went.

By far the worst age for a grocery shopping buddy is whatever age your husband currently is. My local supermarket could make a fortune if they installed a divorce lawyer just before you reach the till!

I seem to spend a lot more when Mr Melon goes with me to the store.One son,is just like him,the other does much better,and looks for sales,and tries to get the most for his money.

I love grocery shopping too. But I'm shocked at how prices have gone up in the last while. It's pretty bad when every nickel counts for my family. 

Migraines are horrible. My Dad suffers with them and I, of course, have gotten them as well. They're not so bad during the summer, it's the winter that absolutely kills me. Rufus bless everyone suffering with migraines!

I love grocery shopping. The selection, the coupons. I prefer King Soopers because the one near my house has so many selections of almost everything. I love selections. Like yogurt having so many different flavors to chose from. And they make a really good potato soup. Growing up my brother and I always loved when Dad went grocery shopping. He would always come home with cookies, candy, and ice cream. Which is why he rarely was allowed to go. Usually only when Mom was sick or out of town on a business trip.  Until a couple years ago when Mom got sick then he did the shopping himself and still does. He was such a junk food monster my brother and I started buying and hiding our junk food from him. We had no choice when ever Mom brought home cookies or any kind of junk food it would be gone by the next day. The only way to get cookies was to buy them ourselves and hide them in our rooms. Mom knew about because she'd always come every couple weeks looking for cookies or a candy bar.  When I was working at a grocery store she'd call every so often telling me she had a craving and I had to bring home either brownies, cookies or something. I accidentally got my entire family hooked on the cookies in the bakery. We started buying them like crazy. I always had to bring home more when we were out. It went on until the store discontinued them. I can't tell you if that was a good thing or bad thing. We bought a lot of cookies.

On 8/17/2018 at 11:31 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

@Scrabblemaster and @CarrotCake - we've already figured that we'll be buying groceries during our Iceland trip because restaurant food is outrageously expensive there. We've narrowed down our AirBnB choices, along with a couple of hotels that have kitchenettes in the rooms. Can't WAIT to try real Icelandic food. And apparently, their hotdogs are the.shit. We shall see. :) 

I wish my family had thought of that when we were on Honolulu decades ago. We hadn't thought to take in account restaurant prices on Honolulu. We ended up eating at McDonalds for the two days we were there until we got to Maui where everything was much cheaper. That is one good thing about the internet you can look up different restaurants where you plan to travel too and see how cheap or expensive they are. So you can see how much you'd need or try to find alternatives such as buying food at grocery store.  

On 8/15/2018 at 12:16 AM, just_ordinary said:

I suffered from occasional migraines (about 1 per month) and tons of headaches (3-4 days a week) for the longest time. Interestingly I have been migraine and almost completely headache free since I am pregnant (that are nine months now). My grandmother told me it was the same for her and she never had problems again. So hopefully this was it. 

Wouldn’t recommend it as a treatment obviously but I think it is fascinating how bodies sometimes work.

Good luck! I lost my migraines when I was pregnant with Little NQ (just one, and I think that was half sudden caffeine withdrawal when he decided he didn't like my morning coffee), but I still had some tension/sinus/barometric pressure-related ones, if fewer. They came back afterward, alas! Too bad pregnancy all the time isn't a good option...

On 8/15/2018 at 1:08 PM, Ali said:

I am in the first trimester and have not had any headaches. I normally get frequent headaches. I have eaten some food that normally bothers me and not had a headache. 

I'm 12 weeks and very very rarely had migraines before getting pregnant  - like just a few times in my life - but I just had a doozy of a two-dayer. FML! Hoping it was just a coincidence and I won't get any more, rather than another lovely gift of pregnancy.

...or am I inheriting some other pregnant person's migraines?! They don't stop, guys, they just get passed along!

On 8/17/2018 at 1:33 PM, Peaches1981 said:

decongestant like pseudoephedrine 

This also works for me!  Doesn't stop them, or make them go away, but at least I can be somewhat functional :)

I hate grocery shopping but I have to do it because if my husband did it, he would end up spending almost twice as much. I shop sales and use coupons. I also buy in bulk if it’s on major sale. My husband won’t do any of that. He just grabs whatever. 

On 8/17/2018 at 6:35 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

Apologies this joke has already been made. Gotta go back and catch up 

@HarryPotterFan hurry up because you might errrr you know get left behind 

Wonder when and where John and Abbie’s wedding will be? Have the Duggars ever had a Christmastime wedding before? Might be nice. 

The reason I hate grocery shopping is because it isn't just one chore--like vacuuming (which I also happen to hate.) It is many, many chores rolled up into one. 

Vacuuming is pretty much---

• Pull out the vacuum cleaner
  • Vacuum
  • Put the vacuum cleaner away

But grocery shopping is (for me)---

• Check the pantry, refrigerator, and storage closets for staples, paper products, toiletries, etc to see what you need to restock, add to list
  • Make a menu for the week, check what ingredients are needed, add to list
  • Survey family for their various breakfast, lunch and snack requests
  • Check food ads for sales
  • Clip, sort, and pull appropriate coupons (or nowadays, more likely, upload electronic coupons to my store account)
  • Drive to store
  • Start shopping, dealing with other people blocking aisles, etc. (drives me CRAZY!)
  • Comparison shop on many items--value with sale on one item versus using coupon on another item
  • Comparison shop for nutritional information (sugar, fat, and salt content, for example)
  • Try not to become overwhelmed with choices (unlike a previous poster, the yogurt aisle gives me nightmares)
  • Check expiration dates (when I don't, I almost always go home with at least one expired item)
  • Load items onto check-out counter
  • Bag groceries (almost never someone there to help)
  • PAY FOR THEM (never happens while vacuuming)
  • Load them into the car
  • Drive home
  • Unload everything
  • Put it away

And I've done this every. single. week. since I was 18 years old (I'm 50 now.)

So, while I am grateful that I have money to buy food and family to buy it for, I find it endlessly, mindbogglingly, torturous.

I love going to the grocery store. When I got my drivers license the first place I went to was the store. Granted I don't have to buy a lot of stuff (single & I don't have kids).  

@Satan'sFortress I couldnt agree more. And when you skip a lot of the preparation steps it has huge ramifications. Having to go back multiple times throughout the week, missibg ingredients for meals, spending way too much. It is so the bane of my existence. 

2 hours ago, Markie said:

Wonder when and where John and Abbie’s wedding will be? Have the Duggars ever had a Christmastime wedding before? Might be nice. 

well the registry claims Jan 19th in OK but that seems late and the Duggar's are known to fib wedding dates. 

I don't mind the grocery store when it's just me. Take hubby or the kids and it's nothing but a constant stream of "no, put that back". And I'm a night owl so I'm likely to be the one coming in at 11pm when the store closes at midnight or wandering Walmart/Meijers at 2am because I can pretty much do so in peace. 

The most horrible chore st our house? Laundry!! Hubby is a chef and dear lordy do his clothes get gross!! With so many people here (7 at the moment) I have to at least run a load of towels every day, plus my own stuff, Hubby's and Youngest's. Blech!

For me going to the grocery store is: 

Put my shoes on 

Walk to the grocery shop 

Put whatever I'm craving at that moment into the basket 

Pay and wait for it to be bagged

Walk home 

I neither like it nor dislike it. It's just something I do. 

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I also buy in bulk if it’s on major sale. My husband won’t do any of that. He just grabs whatever.

When I first got out of the hospital and ex Mr. C had to go the grocery store by himself he was convinced they didn't sell cream cheese. Couldn't find a thing, so my build back up endurance walking was at the grocery store with him, teaching him the ways of sales and shopping. 

I used to work in a grocery store, so grocery shopping is something I really enjoy. It feels very indulgent to look around at all the new things and produce, get to shift things around without anyone asking me (in or out of uniform) for shopping help. Also really helpful for knowing when expensive things, like meat, seafood and cheese are flipped into extra discount madness. I've watched carefully in the various states and cities I've been in and there's consistency.

The day before your sale paper changes over is when almost everything in meat counters will go down to 50% off quick sale, even if there's still 5 days on the package. They've gotten a shipment that needs the shelf space. It goes quick, but if you've got a lot of mouths to feed shopping in the morning once a week can save a ton.

A few chains like Sprouts offer double ad days, where last week and the current week sales are both in effect. If you shop chain and they price match, you don't have to go to more than one grocer, just bring the sale papers if it's in a 50 mile radius.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived