IGNORED

Lori Alexander 49: Immodest, Indiscreet, and Downright Inappropriate

Curious
Message added by Curious

Hi Folks,

New member @Jessesgirl25 got off to a bit of a rough start here, but things have settled down so if you are reading the beginning of her posts please read the rest of the thread before deciding to respond.   I know people will be catching up for a couple days and I am as guilty as anyone of replying as you read (which I did tonight and should know better than to do by now), but if you could try to keep in mind there was some miscommunication and not fully understanding forum etiquette at the beginning and hold your responses until you are caught up that should save us more fighting that is probably unnecessary.

Thanks,
~C

18 minutes ago, Jessesgirl25 said:

That reminds me of a “documentary” I watched once called The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. If you have not watched it, I recommend it. At least once. Lol

I wonder if that's anything like "Inbred Families of North Carolina". Sometimes you just want to shake your head and wonder what planet these people are from. I also survived 7 years in SW Indiana. Here's a riddle for you...what has 10 arms, 10 legs and 5 teeth? The starting line up of the local high school basketball team. That one works in WV, NC, IN, KY and parts of VA. 

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Jessesgirl25 said:

According to 1 Peter 3:1, it has the possibility of helping. I don’t always do my best at being a good example of believing in God or following what the Bible says. Therefore I probably don’t make it look so appealing. That applies to more than just marriages though as well. 

If this is too personal feel free to ignore it.  Is your husband an atheist? Agnostic? Something else?

I think it would maybe make a difference in both how much chance you have to bring him to Christ. 

I am a very lapsed Catholic who is somewhere between agnostic and atheist (leaning more atheist since my brief death if I'm honest with myself).  I believe there may be more than just us turning to dust, but I don't think I believe in one higher power.  FTR, I did not leave the church over disbelief but over things the church believes/professes like no birth control, anti choice and things like that.  I refused to be confirmed because I felt it was hypocritical to do so when I disagreed with major church policies.   The older I've gotten the more I've veered from belief as well.

Anyway, if your husband is an atheist I think it would be very hard to bring him to someone he does not believe exists and I could see you trying to move him that way possibly becoming a big wedge issue over time.   That s just my opinion, obviously I don't really know you yet and your husband even less.

If it were me, I tink I would try to make peace with his nonbelief and try to be happy in my own faith. I would still pray for him, but I wouldn't try to force him into patrichary.  If he doesn't want to always lead that ok.  If he wants you  wear things you don't feel comfortable in explain why you don't want to wear them and wear what makes YOU comfortable.   Maybe wear what he likes when you are home or to give him a nice treat when he comes home from work a couple times a month or something.

As adults you should be able to work out compromises that keep you both happy the majority of the time :)

3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I usually stick to swearing in my head, or sometimes in another language out loud. (To keep my kids from learning words that would get them in trouble, especially at school.) I also enjoy swearing "in character" sometimes, using the made-up swear words from Farscape, the sci-fi series with John Crichton that inspired my user name.

I also find myself swearing in Farscape words and sometimes Cybertronian ones also. 

And come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever heard Lori say anything about praying for people either. Spending hours and hours deleting comments, yes. Praying? Not so much. 

22 hours ago, Jessesgirl25 said:

In my experience so far and sometimes I take the meat of what she is saying and spit out the bones, it has helped me. I used to get upset about stupid little things and nag and just be plain out miserable but once I let go of what I thought marriage should be and trusted that I married a good man and I treated him like I wanted to be treated.

Hi!

Someone quoted this further on in the thread and I just wanted to say something.   I had the same thing in my marriage after we had kids.  Before that, not at all.  Kids put a joy and a strain on any marriage.  Add parents who were no kind of example  ( me too hun, not the hitting.  Hitting happened twice. Still messes with me tho.  Mine were more the ignoring me type.  In The Breakfast Club, I'd be the basket case chick when they all discuss parents, minus the look.) and things got tough for a while.  I had no good example to fall back on.  I did what you did initially and also stopped it and yes, that was me taking charge of my part to play in this like you did.  I'm a firm believer that we can always improve ourselves.  I learned to speak to my husband and use my words carefully to let him know what I need from him and to apologize.  Yay us!

What I'm getting to is, that was almost 10 years ago.  We've been together for a total of 20.  Things are so much easier now.  When we learned to communicate, compromise and stop thinking every little fight could lead to divorce, we became a team again. A real family who won't break up.  I'm so happy we got through it and I didn't try to win him without a word.  I did chill out and give more, not sweat the small stuff too much ( still not letting my husband off the hook on sharing housework!  I work less so, yes I do more) and worked to become an unbreakable team in life.  An unbreakable family for our children.  It's so rewarding to be confident in that.  I always hated that saying that marriage is work.  It kind of is though.  But, not always.  Keep it up with healthy communication, commitment, trust and love for each other.  Your seeking to figure it out and that is good!  Your not desperate or stupid, obviously you disagree with Lori on many issues.  Keep learning and making positive changes.  Same goes for our husbands.  

I've said it before, I play a game with myself " when I am very old and on my deathbed, what would I wish I did/didn't do or say?"  " What would I re-do?".  It really helps me with perspective since I don't have a foundation that included a good example of family.  

*Unless there is abuse in your home.  I don't know this so I have to say it.  Because my advice and sharing does not include any abuse.  It's why I hate Lori.  She tells abused women and children to pray and keep submitting like it's God's will.  That is not helping a sister, that is horrible.

1 hour ago, Lgirlrocks said:

So after working a 12 hour shift today, my third one in a row, I made fried chicken strips that I fried myself and made from scratch mashed potatoes. What did you make Lori? 

Whats everyone else having?

Lori is probably having week old salad.  

I made chicken salad from leftover chicken (we had lemon pepper chicken last night, yum)  I put grapes, red onion, celery, walnuts and Dukes mayonaise.  Very yummy!  I don't work though, not right now.  Usually my husband would cook but he smokes meat all day and comes home not wanting to cook.  I used the crock pot A LOT!

Scratch mashed potatoes are the only way to go.  And I hate peeling potatoes!

Oh, and I made the call!  Yay me!  It took me 3 tries but I did it!! :)

47 minutes ago, Frog99 said:

I had to work late- had a meeting to facilitate. DH also had to work late. Kids went with my parents and had dinner with them. DH and I are having taco bowl leftovers from Friday night (leftovers here are often discarded- I have weird food hang ups so I’m feeling especially proud of myself). 

Oh- and I’m having a beer (and just might have a second)- Fat Tire is tonight’s choice. 

Color me jealous.  I would LOVE a beer.  Guinness preferably.  I am going to have to go out and buy some tomorrow.

We had taco salad. Pretty ambitious for me all things considered. I was exhausted by the time we ate. But there are enough leftovers for tomorrow. 

I stopped peeling potatoes.  I'm done.  I use a sharp knife and slice off the skin.  So much easier!  

1 hour ago, polecat said:

When we moved ~6 years ago, we got voter's registration cards in the mail, unrequested, with our new addies on them. I expected to have to go to the DMV or at least get online and change the address, but nope. It was ... disconcerting? 

@Lgirlrocks, I hate to say it, but we had, sigh, big salads. lol. 

I used to love saying I was having a big salad.  It always reminded me of the Seinfeld big salad episode.   Now that has all been ruined, but my big salads are made fresh a few moments before I eat them and they have lots of veggies and other goodies on them.  I also use fresh (bottled) dressing (usually green goddess).   No 3-week old slimy lettuce with salmonella dressing for this girl!

Just now, Beermeet said:

I stopped peeling potatoes.  I'm done. 

I cut them up with the skin on and boil them that way.... then when they are in the collander, the skins come right off.

3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

"Schiesse" has escaped my lips a few times this week. :my_biggrin: I just have to avoid swearing in Spanish, because there are many kids fluent in Spanish at my kids' school.

I've learned to swear in some not widely spoken languages.  LIke Gaelic, Welsh, a spanish dialect (From El Salvador, thanks to my cousins!)  I have told my brother to "Pog mo thoin" (Kiss my ass) many times.  He still doesn't know what it means!  It's very satisfying!

46 minutes ago, Frog99 said:

I’m open to anything but naturally trend to true crime or mysteries, comedy, and documentaries. I like suspense and well developed characters- I can’t do mindless. 

We just finished Evil Genius and really liked it. I’ve watched one episode of “Dear White People”- it was funny- just not sure if I want to commit. 

I need to stick with “Handmaid’s Tale”. 

The first season of Marcella was good. Also Safe. Both on Netflix.

On 6/24/2018 at 1:32 PM, Jessesgirl25 said:

Put that in your bong and smoke it.

That was my part in this conversation  :obscene-smokingweed: Glad you’ve settled in.

I also recommend Bro Gary. Ease on in.

@Curious I also hate Lori for ruining that bit of classic Seinfeld. Devil woman!

14 minutes ago, CelticGoddess said:

Oh, and I made the call!  Yay me!  It took me 3 tries but I did it!! :)

YAY you!  Make sure you give yourself a cookie or some other special treat to celebrate your accomplishment:) 

11 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

I stopped peeling potatoes.  I'm done.  I use a sharp knife and slice off the skin.  So much easier!  

ok I will ask.  How is that different from peeling?  Do you mean you cut them off square like they do on some restaurant shows?

You all talking about tunnels...I have the opposite problem. I have a serious phobia of bridges. I'm petrified of heights and bridges give me a panic. 

But DFL, didn't you grew up in a river valley and lived in Pittsburgh for a couple years? Yes, yes, I did. Your point? 

We went to Delaware and crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (not the tunnel one) and I had a serious panic attack when crossing it, screaming at my boyfriend to hurry up and GTFO the bridge. He drove us across the New River Gorge Bridge once and I panicked. Even after I had panic attacks out of nowhere that I would have to accidentally cross it while traveling since the drive from Pennsylvania to North Carolina would take you over it.  

Yes, I know, I'm a mess.  

57 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I wonder if that's anything like "Inbred Families of North Carolina". Sometimes you just want to shake your head and wonder what planet these people are from. I also survived 7 years in SW Indiana. Here's a riddle for you...what has 10 arms, 10 legs and 5 teeth? The starting line up of the local high school basketball team. That one works in WV, NC, IN, KY and parts of VA. 

I'd venture to say that they are probably very similar, lol! 

9 minutes ago, polecat said:

The first season of Marcella was good. Also Safe. Both on Netflix.

Safe!  That is the one I was trying to think of.  I really enjoyed that one.  I binged it in one sitting.  There is another one in a similar vein that I really liked.  I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but it had the actor from Jekyll (another British show, also a great watch, but disappointing that it only lasted one season) in it.  Something like Missing or Disappeared.  I'll see if I can find it on Netflix.   I'll have to go through my watched list because I have been binging a ton recently since I've been crocheting a lot and I'm drawing a blank on everything except Slasher (2 seasons, both good.  Horror series but well done and not super gory, but does have some bloody scenes).  I actually liked season 2 just slightly better than season 1, I think.   It's an anthology type deal like American Horror Story.

16 minutes ago, Curious said:

I used to love saying I was having a big salad.  It always reminded me of the Seinfeld big salad episode.   Now that has all been ruined, but my big salads are made fresh a few moments before I eat them and they have lots of veggies and other goodies on them.  I also use fresh (bottled) dressing (usually green goddess).   No 3-week old slimy lettuce with salmonella dressing for this girl!

Okay, now I feel grossed out that I said we're having leftover salad tomorrow. Let me assure you all we will finish it tomorrow. We absolutely won't be eating it next week. And when I do taco salad, I put the meat, cheese and chips on the table separate from the salad--it's a build your own taco salad kind of thing so that it is easy to have the rest the next day. But ONLY the next day. 

1 hour ago, Jessesgirl25 said:

I don’t always do my best at being a good example of believing in God or following what the Bible says.

All believers fall short. Much of biblical contents is subject to thousands of interpretations. If you stick to doing your best to live by the two great commandments as spoken by Jesus himself, you are good. So-called Christians like Lori who actually follow Paul make it all so complicated, when what it's really about is love. In no case though, can you "save" anybody, only God has the power to do that.

Tunnels, bridges, none of it bothers me driving. 

The series "Rain" on Netflix is pretty good, but I like that kind of thing.

Baked pork chops and macaroni salad tonight, not our usual combination but it worked and was easy.

19 minutes ago, CelticGoddess said:

I've learned to swear in some not widely spoken languages.  LIke Gaelic, Welsh, a spanish dialect (From El Salvador, thanks to my cousins!)  I have told my brother to "Pog mo thoin" (Kiss my ass) many times.  He still doesn't know what it means!  It's very satisfying!

Your comment made me remember my HS Latin teacher- he was from Hungary and would curse at us in what we all assumed was Hungarian. It was hilarious. I don’t know how to spell any of it but I can still hear him saying those words. 

7 hours ago, Jessesgirl25 said:

I believe you! Can we all agree to hit the reset button and be friends? I’m looking forward to being here and hanging out with y’all! 

I'm more than willing and would also like to apologize.  I have been enjoying your posts today.  Welcome.  

8 minutes ago, Jessesgirl25 said:

I'd venture to say that they are probably very similar, lol! 

Hey, hey, hey, that's my home state you mock...and it's kinda true. I got my education and left the state. Only return to visit my family still there. 

33 minutes ago, Curious said:

YAY you!  Make sure you give yourself a cookie or some other special treat to celebrate your accomplishment:) 

ok I will ask.  How is that different from peeling?  Do you mean you cut them off square like they do on some restaurant shows?

Idk.  Seemingly less work and no peeler involved?  They freak me out.  So, I cut the ends off, stand the potato up and slice the skin off in one slice at a time as thin as possible.  With a peeler, I'm scraping for like 1 year per potato.  LOL!

@CelticGoddess  go girl! I know how hard a phone call can be for medical issues!  Ahhhh, feels good huh?!

10 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Tunnels, bridges, none of it bothers me driving. 

I HATE HATE HATE tunnels.  Ever since my (idiot) brother told me that if one of the tiles in the Chesapeake tunnel fell, we would be flooded with water.  I can handle some bridges (but am thankful I never had to drive over hte Grace or Pearman bridges in Charleston every again.  Those scared me~

Just now, dairyfreelife said:

Hey, hey, hey, that's my home state you mock...and it's kinda true. I got my education and left the state. Only return to visit my family still there. 

I grew up in the Hampton Roads area of VA...you know, where a "big vacation" consists of going to Sandbridge or Nags Head for the really adventurous. There's only 3 kinds of jobs there...military, Shipyard, and everything else. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived