Jellybean

10 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Am I the only one sensing a little animosity? jealousy? from Kate toward Meghan? Who would wear an off-white/ivory dress to someone else’s wedding? :( 

Yes! Omg my gut told me something was off. Because I am a Kate fan, I rebuked the lies my intuition were telling me! Something was definitely wrong with her, but I hadn't considered her dress color or the rewearing of it as a factor. I just sensed disapproval in every fabric of her body language. But it's hard to say what it pointed to or if specifically at Meghan instead of, say Harry, for wearing a full beard in uniform. I believe I am the only one in the world who thought he looked unkempt. Also a Prince Harry fan, but seriously... 

I also felt the same about Eugenie and her sister. It did not seem like they put thought into their outfits. However, it could have been that they did not like media roasts from the last wedding. It is so hard to tell.

I just know Prince Charles is about this marriage. I believe the royal family as a singular unit welcomes her. There will always be those that have something smart to say.

But yes, I think you're on to something!

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The design sketches of Meghan’s dress have been released. Personally, I feel much of what looks amazing in the sketch was lost in the final outcome. The tailoring wasn’t fitted enough for my tase and the bottom seemed far too heavy. Overall, it’s a lovely dress but it didn’t quite hit it home for me.

0AD06260-F352-4CDF-A850-48F7FDD6C2D0.thumb.jpeg.41f3e3b4fdba2b0ec3797f6bc8bfc370.jpeg

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurasilver/meghan-markles-wedding-dressmaker-has-released-gorgeous

I get that the minister's performance was not at all what the guests were used to, but the sermon itself was extremely vanilla and unobjectionable. It was literally just about the power of love and how much better the world would be if everyone loved each other. The problem is that most of the guests are used to nothing but this:

I would venture a guess that if Kate seemed a bit 'off' at the wedding it was more due to the fact that she just had a baby three weeks ago.

My favorite royal wedding dress recently: Alessandra de Osma who married the Prince of Hanover.

932900678.jpg

I don't think there is any animosity between Catherine and Megan. To me, that's tabloid fodder and I dislike it when two women are pitted against each other. 

I thought the dress was pale yellow, did not upstage Megan, and fit well given that she just gave birth recently.  If she's anything like me you find the outfits that looked dressed up but feel as comfortable as sweats. Of course her interpretation and mine are different.:pb_lol:

If anything, I thought Catherine looked a bit tired. (As would I with three little ones nanny or not).

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

britain-royals-wedding-photographs.jpg

I really wish we could see what they were reacting to in this photo, haha!

I like this interpretation of it:

Spoiler

B6FA5876-AE21-41DD-8793-E45790489726.thumb.jpeg.c7b4a8847a991183dea3f8409693eaf6.jpeg

:my_biggrin:

Does anyone know what the 53 Commonwealth countries reference in Megan's veil floral design?

I read something about a conglomerate charity effort, but not sure if that is correct.

Screenshot_2018-05-20-14-42-17-1.png

3 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Does anyone know what the 53 Commonwealth countries reference in Megan's veil floral design?

I read something about a conglomerate charity effort, but not sure if that is correct.

Screenshot_2018-05-20-14-42-17-1.png

https://commonwealthfoundation.com/where-we-work/

Theres a list of the countries and a bit more about the Commonwealth at that link.

23 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

I don't think there is any animosity between Catherine and Megan. To me, that's tabloid fodder and I dislike it when two women are pitted against each other. 

I thought the dress was pale yellow, did not upstage Megan, and fit well given that she just gave birth recently.  If she's anything like me you find the outfits that looked dressed up but feel as comfortable as sweats. Of course her interpretation and mine are different.:pb_lol:

If anything, I thought Catherine looked a bit tired. (As would I with three little ones nanny or not).

The tabloids say Kate dislikes Meghan? I have heard nothing cross about Kate and Meghan says she welcomed her well.

I think Kate was not happy about something during and right after the wedding. It could be anything. But it definitely seemed to be disapproval. If I had to bet on anything, it would be the minister. But. I am most likely projecting...lol

I think SS was getting that something was off and I got that sense too. She just had a child it really could be anything but first thought is always the bride at a wedding. No harm no foul. I didn't see any pitting.

13 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

She just had a child it really could be anything but first thought is always the bride at a wedding.

The fuck? Or maybe she was still sore from the delivery. Maybe the sky high heels were hurting her feet? Maybe the older kid pulled the I hate you mommy a few minutes before. Who the fuck knows, but the it's most likely the bride is ... reaching to say the least.

FWIW, Kate seemed just fine to me. 

5 minutes ago, Destiny said:

The fuck? Or maybe she was still sore from the delivery. Maybe the sky high heels were hurting her feet? Maybe the older kid pulled the I hate you mommy a few minutes before. Who the fuck knows, but the it's most likely the bride is ... reaching to say the least.

She seemed fine to me too. Maybe she's tired b/c lil' buddy Louis cried all night? Maybe she didn't want to leave the baby for too long? Maybe she's uncomfortable because she's still dealing with anything #postpartum?

Maybe she was already anticipating people interpreting shit into her every move and felt accordingly?

I thought Kate was really well behaved, frankly. She stole the show a bit at her sister Pippa's wedding -- there were as many pictures of her wrangling the kids as there were of the bride, and maybe it was payback for Pippa's butt's star turn at her own wedding? -- but she stayed in the background here at Megan and Harry's event and helped with George and Charlotte without standing out; it was very well done of her. Yes, I wouldn't have worn that light a dress to a wedding, but she's rewearing an outfit and thus making sure the attention stays with the bride.

As for the minister, I thought his sermon was great, but went a bit too long for the venue. As nice as the Jesuit metaphor about fire was, it took too long for him to get to the point and explain how fire and love relate, and he lost his audience. He should have omitted that last few minutes and ended on the MLK quote for more impact.

26 minutes ago, Destiny said:

She also could have had too-full-of-milk breasts which HURT since it had probably been a while since she's nursed little baby Louis.  At this stage postpartum, your milk production hasn't regulated yet.  It's not always easy to run to the loo and express a bit of milk into the sink not to mention fit in an actual pumping session.  I hope that the Duchess of Cambridge was wearing good breast pads.  Leaking is no fun even if you're wearing a t-shirt.

I agree, @Destiny, that Kate seemed just fine.

I guess I'm confused with people's length about Reverend's Curry's sermon, which ended up only being about 13 minutes. My parents are from East Africa and I can't remember what church they married into but it was very British like (colonization) and it ended up being almost 2.5 hours including their preacher's long sermon.  I guess I'm stuck on an already long ceremony but that his sermon was very little of that. 

On 5/19/2018 at 11:47 AM, applejack said:

Beatrice and Eugenie: Make fun of our hats now, bitches. 

I have always thought that Beatrice and Eugenie's hats at Will and Kate's wedding were a big FUCK YOU to them for not inviting their mother.  We are invited, but she isn't?  FINE; we are going to wear the most obnoxious hats we can find!

25 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I thought Kate was really well behaved, frankly. She stole the show a bit at her sister Pippa's wedding -- there were as many pictures of her wrangling the kids as there were of the bride, and maybe it was payback for Pippa's butt's star turn at her own wedding? -- but she stayed in the background here at Megan and Harry's event and helped with George and Charlotte without standing out; it was very well done of her. Yes, I wouldn't have worn that light a dress to a wedding, but she's rewearing an outfit and thus making sure the attention stays with the bride.

What? Just... what? She stole the show by wrangling the kids? I mean, what was she supposed to do, let them run wild? Bribe the photographers to cut her out of every shot? And Pippa stole the show at Kate's wedding by wearing a dress that Kate obviously approved, if not thought of herself? Or by daring to have a nice butt? Kate was 'well behaved'? She's not a toddler, ffs!

Damn, discussions about these people really bring out all the casual sexism, don't they? Holy crap.

2 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

I guess I'm confused with people's length about Reverend's Curry's sermon, which ended up only being about 13 minutes. My parents are from East Africa and I can't remember what church they married into but it was very British like (colonization) and it ended up being almost 2.5 hours including their preacher's long sermon.  I guess I'm stuck on an already long ceremony but that his sermon was very little of that. 

Exactly! I personally think people aren't used to be anything but bored and stoic during church sermons. It was standard length for a wedding and honestly shorter than a lot of other ones. 

If they wanted someone extremely brief and drab they shouldn't have hired Rev. Curry to do the message. He stuck to his normal preaching style and gave them what they expected. I'm glad he didn't change his delivery to make some stuffy rich people comfortable. And I promise y'all that he was being controlled. Trust me when I say he could have gone on for much longer.

I'm still mad that there was no alter call and  nobody busted out in tongues :pb_lol: :pb_lol:

On 5/19/2018 at 1:12 PM, Thorns said:

The dress was underwhelming TBH, but maybe as a divorcee (not that it should matter) maybe that was what she wanted? Love the veil though! She does tend to like structural dresses, so no surprise there, but I could have wished for something more...sculptural? Interesting? Some archietectural details? It also seemed just a tad too big? But if she got what she wanted that is all that matters :)

Now I can't wait to see the second dress! 

Agreeing with the bolded.  It just looked like it could have been a bit more fitted to her body.  That would have solved the saggy issues she was having in the armpit area, too.

Loved, loved, loved the veil and all its symbolism, though!  As a needle crafter, I appreciate all the love and work that went into it.

9 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Have any of the fundies we snark on said anything about the Wedding?

Ha, I was wondering about that too! I can't imagine Alyssa Webster not getting up at 5 am or at least recording it/ looking it up on the internet with the Duchess of Cambridge obsession she seemed to have in the past! Also, I suspect Sierra was watching it too. She made a DoC reference recently and it made me think she'd be secular enough to watch  or at least follow the goings on of a royal wedding. 

44 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

The problem is that this particular service was only supposed to last an hour in total.  Everything was timed to the last second.  Bishop Curry ran 3 minutes over his allotted 10 minutes.  He acknowledged that he talked too long in an interview on NPR.

He made it seem worse by appearing to wind it up when he said he needed to stop because "we need to get y'all married."  Then he launched  into all his "fire" analogies and people thought he was never going to sit down. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

I thought Bishop Curry was wonderful, and apparently the Archbishop of Canterbury recommended him.

32 minutes ago, zeebaneighba said:

Agreeing with the bolded.  It just looked like it could have been a bit more fitted to her body.  That would have solved the saggy issues she was having in the armpit area, too.

Loved, loved, loved the veil and all its symbolism, though!  As a needle crafter, I appreciate all the love and work that went into it.

The Royal School of Needlework does incredible work.

I think Meghan may have dropped a couple of pounds in the week before the wedding.  However, that design with the bateau off the shoulder neckline needs a bit of ease in the tailoring or you can't lift your arms.  The same with the sleeves.  It's not like bonded silk stretches like spandex.

I think the dress was intended to be minimalist and body skimming, not closely fitted.  I get the impression that many of the people complaining that it was badly fitted are stuck on the current "fit like a glove" look.  That all too often makes a bride unable to sit down or move comfortably - and sometimes makes her look like a sausage splitting out of its skin.  I blame the Kartrashians for this mode.

To illustrate my sausage point, Oprah's rush dress really should have been made two sizes larger in the bust.  That was not flattering, I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, candygirl200413 said:

My attention span for speeches is somewhere around The Gettysburg Address. One of the reasons I started wondering if Christianity was for me was  the fact that I HATED going to church on Sunday because sitting still that long was miserable for me. I'm also not one that thinks preaching belongs in a wedding, but that's probably my personal bias against sitting still talking, cos sermons usually make weddings long. 

All that said, the WTF faces still gave me life, and if the bride and groom wanted it, fuck everyone else and their opinion. 

12 hours ago, ScorpiousMalfoy said:

...Kate's own sister Pippa at her wedding? Let's not read too much into that. I think everyone knew well enough who's the bride.

Pippa was part of the wedding party and her dress was specifically designed for her role. 

46 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Have any of the fundies we snark on said anything about the Wedding?

All I could think of with Queen’s outfit was that Michelle would have just loved it. 

I said this already but I will repeat. I am totally impressed with Kate. I think she acted like a Mom at the wedding and not like a scene-stealing princess. Good grief. She did look a tad preoccupied...but I think if I had two small children in a royal wedding and a newborn I might have a few things going on.

Damn. I see we’ve abandoned the “she needs to smile more” realm of sexism and moved right on to “pitting women against each other” realm. Fun times.

3 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

My exact thoughts. It is not anyone's divine right to jam a message down the guests throats at anyone's wedding unless the bride and groom specifically ask for it. I get the sneaking suspicion both Harry and Meghan were as surprised as their guest. Btw, I thought the guest responses were just a rude as the minister's gesture. Yeah he was ooc, but they should have sucked it up for the bride and groom.

Also, people are confusing church services with weddings. I do understand that some request a full sermon at their weddings (always to my dismay) but usually the message is lighthearted and meant to give principles of a strong and lasting marriage foundation.

With all due respect, this minister was out of line in my opinion. I muted him several times while my husband unmuted. lol We played this game for awhile which helped me get through the message. In the end he said the guy was terrible but we needed to support Meghan and Harry (as if they reaaaalllyy needed us). This is coming from a man who swore he would not watch. Smh. lol

Anyway, it happened. And it's not the worse thing that could happen, but I was not fond of this minister to say the least.

The man you’re referring to is Presiding Bishop Michael Curry. He’s not just a simple Minister or Preacher, he literally presides over the Episcopalian Church.

Kensington Palace stated prior to the wedding that Harry and Meghan asked him to give the sermon. If they weren’t happy with what they got then that’s their fault for not doing their research properly. I find that hard to believe though. They appear to have been very involved with the other major decisions and Bishop Curry and his sermon helped further drive home the message that Meghan is a Black American who has been accepted by her in-laws - a polite way of basically saying the racist trolls can go suck it.

ETA: I should add that the decisions honoring Meghan’s roots also indicate that she is loved by her husband for who she is as well and that Harry agreeing to those decisions indicates he likely has a good deal of respect for his wife and who she is. 

Archived