Jellybean

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm re-watching it since my parents missed it from my brother's graduation. I'm picking up with little things people were talking about (ie: Harry saying she looked amazing, stroking her hand, etc.). I think this wedding was just something many of us needed as a short refreshing break from all that is happening specifically in America. 

I also loved how multiracial it was, it was such a beautiful ceremony! I'm still figuring out my feelings for her dress but I'm loving her reception dress

UD8LEwukRpyhyrgR9Ovv_18440345-1.jpg

3 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

A side by side is the two recent royal dresses. Forgive me if this was already posted.

4A3F237D-7093-46A7-90A7-4926BCCD538A.jpeg

I like Meaghan's dress more. I'm surprised how simple it was, relatively speaking.

Meghan's gown reminded me a bit of Claudette Colbert's wedding gown in It Happened One Night -simple and unembellished with a fabulous long train.  It was very Givenchy.  I'm glad, though, that Meghan didn't do what Claudette did in IHON.  She ran off with Clark Gable in the middle of the ceremony.  A simple dress might have been more in keeping with the Queen Mary's bandeau, too, since it dates from 1932.

The Most Reverend Michael Curry's address seemed shorter the second time I heard it.  Some of the younger Royals -Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie and Zara Phillips- as well as David Beckham had smiles on their faces when the bishop was preaching.  (IOW, they seemed to like it.)

The little black boy is the choir is freakin' adorable!

I watched it on our state PBS affiliate which carried the BBC feed.  It was better than watching it on BBC America because there were no commericials.  After coverage was over at 9AM EDT, they started replaying it again.  Yep, I watched it again and I might watch it again tomorrow afternoon when SCETV will show it once more.

Finally here's an article from The New Yorker about the wedding:

An American Energy at the Wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

An article that captures some of the royal expressions during the sermon - and Beatrice did have a big smile at one point: 

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a20754695/royal-family-reaction-reverend-curry-sermon-royal-wedding/

Elton John made a face like Eeyore during it.  Bad Elton.

I thought Bishop Curry rocked.  Social justice sermon at a royal wedding for the win - Martin Luther King to Teihard de Chardin.  I sat up straight and actually listened to a sermon for once.  I still think he went on a bit too long though.

@Beermeet - it was a fantastic, sunny, breezy day full of an awesome sense of community and shared joy! We were surrounded by people from USA, UK, Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, Italy, and Brazil—and those are only the people closest to us. :)

Her reception dress is also stunning! And that E-Type Jag is electric!!!

edit:  the temperature in the Chapel was probably comfortable with all the people. We toured Canterbury Carhedral yesterday, where ithe weather was similarly warm and sunny, but the Cathedral itself was quite chilly inside. 

I liked both dresses.  I'd rather wear Kate's dress, BUT I wish I could look like Meghan did in her dress!

Prince Charles looked really nice.  I think he actually looks better now than he did as a younger man.

Meghan's mom is so beautiful.  I hadn't ever seen her before.

I hadn't even planned on watching the wedding. Now, I am rewatching it on BBC America.  :|

It was also the FA Cup final today (soccer thing between all the English/Welsh clubs). Chelsea v Man United, Chelsea won 1-0. All the news is about the wedding or the soccer. I’m not a soccer fan. Prince William usually gives out the trophy but obviously was otherwise occupied today :pb_lol:

I actually fell asleep for a couple of hours at around 4ish, I don’t usually get up at ten :pb_lol::pb_lol:

You know, considering Meghan's normal style, I'd like to think she purposely went "plain" to say write what ya want on this dress, I am undefined. She knew she'd be judge by her dress more than anything. She knew everyone was waiting for it and expected it. She controlled the moment (in my opinion) and I like that. The dress is not terrible. It really is just cloth over a body. Not much style at all. What a brave move. I think that dress says more about Meghan than anything else. But I guess that's how is usually goes...

Meh, I’m underwhelmed by th me reception dressas well. Not that she doesn’t look stunning, I just wanted more. She still looked lovely today. I get the look she was going for. That veil saved her dress IMO 

Priyanka Chopra looks stunning in her evening gown dress btw. 

A8CF4E15-E34E-4635-AFDF-1C52AFCF0007.png

10 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

It was also the FA Cup final today (soccer thing between all the English/Welsh clubs). Chelsea v Man United, Chelsea won 1-0. All the news is about the wedding or the soccer. I’m not a soccer fan. Prince William usually gives out the trophy but obviously was otherwise occupied today :pb_lol:

I actually fell asleep for a couple of hours at around 4ish, I don’t usually get up at ten :pb_lol::pb_lol:

BBC are going to have great ratings today they broadcast the wedding, The Scottish Cup final then The English Cup final. I watched all 3. The man u and Chelsea game was a boring game. William had a lucky escape from having to watch it. 

Yes! Priyanka looks gorgeous!

I think I like Meghan's chapel gown best.

@VelociRapture

I think that's so sweet your daughter was able to enjoy the royal wedding, too!

Afa, as the simply stated dress, I agree that it ends up making a bold statement about the bride herself. Instead of staring at the gown, everyone is now looking at her face, her gestures and all else that is going on. It's awesome you chose such a dress. I think it's all beautiful in the end. Whatever makes the bride feel comfortable is what is going to have her at her best.

10 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Yes! Priyanka looks gorgeous!

I think I like Meghan's chapel gown best.

@VelociRapture

I think that's so sweet your daughter was able to enjoy the royal wedding, too!

Afa, as the simply stated dress, I agree that it ends up making a bold statement about the bride herself. Instead of staring at the gown, everyone is now looking at her face, her gestures and all else that is going on. It's awesome you chose such a dress. I think it's all beautiful in the end. Whatever makes the bride feel comfortable is what is going to have her at her best.

Lol! She’s 17 months and had no clue what was happening. It was fun seeing her react and sharing that moment with her though. Explaining that they love each other and are now (legally) a family was a nice way to start the morning.

This was by far one of my favorite weddings I’ve witnessed - on tv or in person. I know there were protocol and rules they had to follow, but I think they did a pretty fabulous job at working within those confines to create a day that was still very them. I’m glad they were able to make that happen and that whoever in the Palace is in charge of protocol for events like this allowed it. It was worth it just for the reactions to Bishop Curry (I’m still laughing at the Royal family’s faces, but I give them credit for going with the flow on this. I’m guessing having Bishop Curry there meant a lot to the newlyweds and his sermon was a really nice one. He’s a beautiful orator.) 

The York sisters were disappointingly subdued this time, but they both looked very lovely. I’m curious what sort of dress Eugenie will choose for her wedding in October now. I’m guessing it’ll be another gown with sleeves, but otherwise I don’t know enough about her style to make a guess.

We made it back to London in time to catch the ManU/Chelsea game... definitely not very exciting. Lol

I think both of Meghan's dresses are totally her style, with concessions for the occasion. I feel like the ceremony was like that for them as a couple, too.

I read somewhere that Meghan said her dream wedding dress would be Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's super simple slip dress, so I wasn't expecting lace or embroidery or much of anything besides an interesting cut.  I LOVE her veil, but I think it either needed to be a bit shorter or she needed Pippa behind her to help manage it.  

I was shocked Philip was walking so well -- didn't he just have a hip replaced? And I loved the Queen's outfit, save for the black shoes.  

10 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m curious what sort of dress Eugenie will choose for her wedding in October now. I’m guessing it’ll be another gown with sleeves, but otherwise I don’t know enough about her style to make a guess.

For Eugenie, almost certainly sleeves, the York tiara, and I'm hoping for a Vivienne Westwood dress.  She designs for curves.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!  :occasion-cake:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/thomas-markle-royal-wedding_us_5b0041f3e4b07309e058b45b

Meghan’s dad was able to watch on tv. He wishes he could have been there, but said his baby looked beautiful and wished them all the happiness in the world. I also saw in another article that he was thankful Prince Charles was able and willing to walk partway with Meghan since he couldn’t.

29 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

For Eugenie, almost certainly sleeves, the York tiara, and I'm hoping for a Vivienne Westwood dress.  She designs for curves.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!  :occasion-cake:

Thanks! :) 

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

An article that captures some of the royal expressions during the sermon - and Beatrice did have a big smile at one point: 

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a20754695/royal-family-reaction-reverend-curry-sermon-royal-wedding/

Elton John made a face like Eeyore during it.  Bad Elton.

I thought Bishop Curry rocked.  Social justice sermon at a royal wedding for the win - Martin Luther King to Teihard de Chardin.  I sat up straight and actually listened to a sermon for once.  I still think he went on a bit too long though.

Yeah, Bishop Curry did a great job today.  I chose denominations well when I said enough with the Roman church. 

That's one thing with Episcopal priests in general - some of them can go on a bit too long with their sermons.  I wonder if it's something in the training of the priests by seminaries that encouraged long sermons.  The previous rector at the church I go to, as much as I liked her she could go on for quite a while too.  With our new rector services are about 20 minutes shorter than what they were before he arrived. 

And, oh, by the way, I'm ready for all the reich wing butt hurt about Bishop Curry...

LargePopcorn.png.6dbc2f0594de5b6c7c34146d17ad43cd.png

Wow, I definitely didn't expect this, but I absolutely HATE the dress. I don't like satin wedding dresses, and then it doesn't even fit well. Ugh.

Of course Meghan looked absolutely stunning nonetheless; she would look beautiful in a burlap sack. I love her tiara and the minimal make-up, although I'm again not a fan of the veil. I do love the reception dress, so there's that.

Either way, the two of them look ridiculouly happy and that is of course the only thing that really matters. :)

Meghan looked radiant and like herself. My favorite royal wedding dress is still Princess Madeleine of Sweden's Valentino gown

61f65590c4670a5f32b3ea8dcae943a0.jpg

14 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Wow, I definitely didn't expect this, but I absolutely HATE the dress. I don't like satin wedding dresses, and then it doesn't even fit well. Ugh.

Of course Meghan looked absolutely stunning nonetheless; she would look beautiful in a burlap sack. I love her tiara and the minimal make-up, although I'm again not a fan of the veil. I do love the reception dress, so there's that.

Either way, the two of them look ridiculouly happy and that is of course the only thing that really matters. :)

It was silk, not satin. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.elle.com/fashion/celebrity-style/amp20754879/everything-to-know-about-meghan-markles-givenchy-royal-wedding-gown/

Archived