Jellybean

I read this on DailyKos about the title that the Queen has bestowed on the newlyweds.  The choice of title was something in which Harry and Meghan had input.  They chose the Duke of Sussex -a title which has been vacant since the early 1800s.  The last Duke of Sussex was one of the sons of George III who had no children.  He also fought the slave trade.  I think that is really cool that Harry and Meghan chose that title which was last borne by an abolitionist.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK so I pretty much predicted correctly what Meghan would wear, though in typical fashion I didn't tell anyone else so they won't believe me ha!

I love the style of the dress - don't have a problem with plain dresses at all - but I just don't think it fitted her properly. 

Here's a comparison with Queen Maxima of the Netherlands and Mette-Marit of Norway, who wore similar styles. For me, theirs both fit better than Meghan's dress did, particularly the bodice and sleeves. Admittedly Mette-Marit's dress is in a different fabric, but it can be done with very precise tailoring.

9d3be210df1f930c474eccf339c67315.jpg.9ccc43fb36f3c2a0a847f627010e09f1.jpg

Spoiler

_BestMMFront2.jpg.45fd7d0a8cdd1854deb7a70888ab4379.jpg

Spoiler

meghan-markle-wedding-dress-ftr.jpg.1f3150a911cfab36ff593acebfcbd5cd.jpg

Spoiler

Meghan-markle-wedding-dress-703766.jpg.f9e8ee3f307b684b2326a654d6def945.jpg

33 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I feel like Meghan went with the look she did because she liked it, but also because it sends a message. She didn’t have any bling or embellishments or heavy makeup or anything. She very easily could have, but she purposely chose not to. She looked like herself and that, I think, was important to her after the reaction when their relationship first went public. To me, her simple look is a strong statement that she is enough and she is beautiful for the person she is - a black actress and humanitarian from California. The fact that so many elements honoring her black and American roots were included is also a strong statement in that regard, as is Prince Charles walking her through part of the Church, but it also states her husband and in-laws accept her for the person she is and always has been as well.

I think that’s a powerful and important message to send. There are still people writing racist crap about her and, in my opinion, the choices they made were as much a reflection of their taste as it was a way to say those racist opinions don’t matter.

I agree - it was a beautiful message. 

People are also questioning why Kate recycled an outfit, but I think it was a great way for her to say ‘focus on the bride, not on me, my dress doesn’t matter’. She often rewears her outfits, just the same way we commoners do ;) 

2 minutes ago, adidas said:

I agree - it was a beautiful message. 

People are also questioning why Kate recycled an outfit, but I think it was a great way for her to say ‘focus on the bride, not on me, my dress doesn’t matter’. She often rewears her outfits, just the same way we commoners do ;) 

Kate showing up in an x2 dress with the kiddos was pretty cool.

Oh my god you guys, who told this woman a turkey tail made a good hat?????

2 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Oh my god you guys, who told this woman a turkey tail made a good hat?????

Are you talking about Camilla Parker Bowles? I took one look at her and said "Camilla needs to stop". 

She needs to have a stern talk with her stylist...that person is not her friend.  And her hairdresser needs to learn to control the coif. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes her hair is at a 45 degree angle to her face and that is never okay. 

That's my BEC for today folks. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't keen on the dress.

18 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Are you talking about Camilla Parker Bowles? I took one look at her and said "Camilla needs to stop". 

I am not. I saw a random person with a turkey tail hat in the crowd. I'm still like an hour out from the wedding.

Right now, I'm totally being in love with Abigail Spencer's dress. I feel like this is a good time to remind TPTB that we need another season of Timeless, cos damn she looks good in period dress. (Her dress is not actually period, but it has an awesome 50s vibe.)

Ok, I don't know which is which when it comes to Beatrice and Eugenie, but what were they thinking with that blue headband thing? She looks like Cinderella BEFORE the pretty dress. 

I am SEVERELY disappointed. I was looking forward to their offerings. :(

Kate often re-wears outfits. It makes sense; it’s daft to buy an expensive outfit and only wear it once, even if you could afford to buy a new outfit every day. 

1 hour ago, MarblesMom said:

I might be the only person who sniggered at the vow part of "for richer, for poorer"

Ahem, I did actually mention that in the other thread. Which is 26 pages long so how dare you not have noticed my post. 

I think Meghan looks better in the style she chose, as opposed to the ball gown. I do think the top could have been tailored a bit better, but overall I loved it and I thought she looked great. I do agree that her hair looked a bit messy, and I know that is her style but I think it could have been a bit better. The veil and the tiara were perfect though. I didn't love the reception dress, but she still looked great in it. 

Just now, Blahblah said:

how dare you not have noticed my post

I bow down, to the great @Blahblah.

Gee whiz.  Golly neds. Dang dum bit.

:my_heart:

Should I point out to the Orange Menace that it looks like Harry got a bigger crowd than his inauguration? Naw. 0:-D

Just now, Blahblah said:

I saw it earlier actually. Well fucking played BBC, well FUCKING played. <3

... Why is Camilla wearing an ostrich nest on her head? 

Why has the internet not taught the queen to wear that colour? That said, she looks great, so I'll allow it. :-P

The ostrich nest is seriously distracting y'all. I can't look away. 

I wonder where the happy couple will go on their honeymoon, and when they might be having children.  Imagine the speculation, if/when she becomes pregnant, regarding the child's looks...

This wedding is too long. 15 min is my attention span for weddings, and we've surpassed that. (mine was 14 min from walking to the door to the beer waiting for me. Yes. I did have a person responsible for making sure I had booze. No, I'm not sorry. :-P)

The royal's faces at the Episcopalian friend y'all. Their WTF faces are giving me life. Can we have more of him? that said, he needs to shut up now, because I'm bored. 

Friend. You are fun, but keep to topic. Fire is not relevant. Also, please shut up now. He's reminding me of why I am no longer Christian -- a big part of it was my lack of patience for sermons. LOL

Yeah, I appreciated the gist of the sermon ... but I just go on autopilot. This has happened in every house of worship I remember. All faiths. Conservative. Liberal. I zone out. Sometimes I think I’d like to go to church, but the reality is that I would not be good at it.

I was raised Episcopalian, so Bishop Curry's sermon was right in line with what I grew up with. The length is a THING. It was like settling into a pew at our church back in Sioux Falls. Comfortable and familiar. 

I'm still here for all the black excellence that was all over that service. You GO Black Princess. 

5 minutes ago, applejack said:

I'm still here for all the black excellence that was all over that service. You GO Black Princess. 

Completely agree! It made me happy to see. 

33 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Yeah, I appreciated the gist of the sermon ... but I just go on autopilot. This has happened in every house of worship I remember. All faiths. Conservative. Liberal. I zone out. Sometimes I think I’d like to go to church, but the reality is that I would not be good at it.

Exactly. When I managed to pay attention, I liked what I heard. I just don't have the attention span for people talking at me for long. I lose track. Especially since the captions were way behind, and unfortunately friend speaks in a pitch? key? IDK? that is hard for me to hear. 

That said, the apparent WTF faces gave me life. 

His speech was so long and boring and he was so jumpy and animated it was driving me nuts. I turned over to Me TV and watched five minutes of Petticoat Junction just to cleanse my palate. 

Speaking of the Orange Menace, I ADORE Elton John but that fright wig he has going on has just got to go!

2 hours ago, Destiny said:

... Why is Camilla wearing an ostrich nest on her head? 

Why has the internet not taught the queen to wear that colour? That said, she looks great, so I'll allow it. :-P

The ostrich nest is seriously distracting y'all. I can't look away. 

I thought Camilla's hat looked more oddly-alienish floral, like she was trying to get Charles' attention away from the flowers.

QEII looked great, but the hat-shoe combo could do with an update.  Since she's the queen, I imagine she takes fuck-all from advice such as mine.

Camilla's hat though -- seriously looks like she's trying to attract the attention of an especially flighty bird (pun not intended but still welcome). At a certain point, it's worthwhile to just appreciate the inanity which comprises the hat collections of the British, where the sun appears approximately 0.98% of the time during the year.

ETA: I do adore this hat parade...just to be clear. Truly, I gain tremendous joy from seeing these creations adorning these upper crust heads. More fascinators, please!

Mark me down as one who did not care for Meghan's dress. It was too simple and plain for me, though I think the style could have looked better if it had been a bit more fitted. For that matter, I was also a bit weirded out by the lapels, or whatever they were, down the front of Harry's uniform.

But that veil and tiara! Swoon!

Meghan's reception dress is in a style I like a little better. Harry's tux at the reception makes him look like a dashing red-headed James Bond.

Archived