IGNORED

Josh, Anna, and the M&Ms: Part 17

Jellybean

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

What's the problem in tasting human milk? I do drink cow milk, but have you ever saw real cows? In terms of cleanness* and even ethics, woman milk is far less disgusting than cow's one.

It's just gross, to me - as an adult, to drink something intended for infants and children.

And yes, I have *seen* real cows, and I know how to milk them. I can also milk goats.

I don't drink their milk either. :) 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't drink human milk in part because I know how hard it is to get (I'm sure cows milk is hard on the cows too, I just have less empathy for them).  I would not think it was funny if H used it in his coffee, he would be in serious trouble.  

I don't know that it is inherently gross, but I don't know, it looks different, it is said to taste different.  I get how people could be opposed.

Human milk is very sweet. Or maybe that’s just mine and I have a problem with my sugar intake ... ?

I tried a little on my finger, wouldn’t actually drink it but don’t think it’s gross if someone does. Lucky them if they have that much to spare. I was never able to pump and Miniway never learned to drink from a bottle. Luckily he breastfed just fine and stopped the last night feedings by himself around his first birthday. 

I have a colleague who has no desire to have children whatsoever (and has gone as far as preventative surgery), but she has this dream of making cheese from human breast milk. Two of my other colleagues have had babies in recent years, but neither have been willing to donate to the human cheese cause.

7 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Human milk is very sweet. Or maybe that’s just mine and I have a problem with my sugar intake ... ?

I remember coming across a study that found that breastfed infants had a much higher preference for sugary treats than formula-fed infants once they reached toddler age and childhood.

8 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I tried a little on my finger, wouldn’t actually drink it but don’t think it’s gross if someone does. Lucky them if they have that much to spare. I was never able to pump and Miniway never learned to drink from a bottle. Luckily he breastfed just fine and stopped the last night feedings by himself around his first birthday. 

Mine too unless I get to crazy about the spicy food... then my milk gets a little bit of s kick to it. My son has been eating spicy food since about 8 months though so he never minds 

4 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I have a colleague who has no desire to have children whatsoever (and has gone as far as preventative surgery), but she has this dream of making cheese from human breast milk. Two of my other colleagues have had babies in recent years, but neither have been willing to donate to the human cheese cause.

Can you expand on this vision at all?

@AliceInFundyland my colleague is an odd duck, but so are most of the people I work with (myself included). She loathes babies and children, but is a foodie and is curious about what breastmilk cheese would taste like. I think she was imagining it would turn out like some kind of a brie, and she'd eat it with French bread and a nice white wine.

I guess the flavour of the cheese would depend on what the producer of the milk had been eating. I also imagine one would need a fair bit of milk in order to make cheese out of it. From what I know about pumping breast milk, it's time consuming, and I'm guessing most new moms would want to hold on to that food supply rather than donating it to nutty culinary experiments.

5 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I remember reading about a chef in NY that made icecream from his wifes breastmilk. I think it would be a better idea to donate to a hospital if you have that much. 

5 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

I remember coming across a study that found that breastfed infants had a much higher preference for sugary treats than formula-fed infants once they reached toddler age and childhood.

Well Miniway has two parents with a serious sweet tooth and the apple didn’t fall far out of that three. ?❤️?

6 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

@AliceInFundyland my colleague is an odd duck, but so are most of the people I work with (myself included). She loathes babies and children, but is a foodie and is curious about what breastmilk cheese would taste like. I think she was imagining it would turn out like some kind of a brie, and she'd eat it with French bread and a nice white wine.

IMO that's weird AF lol but if she wanted to pay me for it I'd be all in! It's just a bodily fluid and I have plenty I don't care what she does with it  :pb_lol: 

11 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

It is impossible to make yoghourt, cheese or butter from human milk. It is just not greasy enough.

12 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

I have never bought formula but I imagine formula is sweet, isn't it?

Breastfeed babies are supposed to accept better the solid food than formula-feed babies, because human milk changes its flavour depending on what the mother eats. Milk is always kinda sweet, but it can also be spicy or fruity or whatever. So it is supposed that breastfeed babies become less picky eaters because since day 1 they are in contact with *real food* flavour. I don't know if it really works, but nurses told us that in the prepartum classes.

Anyway, as a mother myself, I know plenty of kids (bottlefeed and breastfeed) and I do not need a study to know that the majority of toddlers love sugar, no matter how they were fed as babies. ?

My son drank formula - first it was some high calorie formula to get him to pack on weight - had to get it at the hospital & had to mix it with a certain percentage of water (he was a preemie) and then it was your standard stuff you could get at the store.

Both of those formulas were just FOUL. I tried them - and I guess if you really have had nothing else in your whole life to compare it to you'd be like "yep! give me that yummy bottle, momma!!" but it was disgusting. And not at all sweet - just... gross. 

(weirdly - the iron drops they had me give him were lemon flavored.... )

My mum once ran out of milk while baking when guests were coming over, so she snuck up to the freezer to get some of her breastmilk. Godfather of my eldest sister really enjoyed the baking and eagerly asked how it was made since it had a sweet aftertaste. Mum answered honestly, and he spat the bun straight into his coffee cup. Apparently it was a hilarious moment and no one felt offended.

Okay, putting body fluids in food and serving it to people without informing them first isn't something I'd be okay with, but to each their own.

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Breastfeed babies are supposed to accept better the solid food than formula-feed babies, because human milk changes its flavour depending on what the mother eats. Milk is always kinda sweet, but it can also be spicy or fruity or whatever. So it is supposed that breastfeed babies become less picky eaters because since day 1 they are in contact with *real food* flavour. I don't know if it really works, but nurses told us that in the prepartum classes.

Eh, I really don't believe it changes it that much. Literally every single child in our extended family who is picky was breastfed. 

My son who was breastfed is a horribly picky eater. My daughter who has a medical condition that required a hydrolyzed formula (though she was BFd for the first 3 months until her diagnosis) will eat absolutely anything you put in front of her. I think it's really tied to personality and the kid regardless of what they consumed in their first months.

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

That sounds like pseudoscience. My Dad and his siblings were all breast fed because in those days formula hadn't been introduced and it was a way of spacing for those big Catholic families. They are some of the pickiest eaters that I have ever met in my life. My Mom's family, same circumstances, also quite picky and prone to the nose wrinkle. Picky eaters come from all walks of life and can be because of food sensitivities, texture issues, having an over active sense of smell, stomach issues, acid reflux issues, so on and so forth. It's all very complicated. 

There is a correlation, and we do know that breast milk changes flavor (as does amniotic fluid) so most children end up liking the foods their mothers eat.  That doesn't mean that individuals will be like that.  Further, if mom eats all one thing kids will likely only like that one thing.  

2 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Okay, putting body fluids in food and serving it to people without informing them first isn't something I'd be okay with, but to each their own.

Agreed - I would be really upset. It would be one thing if they had been givens a head's up beforehand, but to tell them afterwards is really bad form, imo. 

Just now, viii said:

Agreed - I would be really upset. It would be one thing if they had been givens a head's up beforehand, but to tell them afterwards is really bad form, imo. 

I agree.  I wouldn't even serve anyone home made cheese without telling them first.  Anything your serving that is super out of the ordinary needs a heads up.

14 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

There is a correlation, and we do know that breast milk changes flavor (as does amniotic fluid) so most children end up liking the foods their mothers eat.  That doesn't mean that individuals will be like that.  Further, if mom eats all one thing kids will likely only like that one thing.  

The problem is that it's a correlation.

It stands to reason that if Mom eats typical foods when she is pregnant, she will most likely eat most if not all the same foods once she gives birth and breastfeeds. For example, a woman of Indian background would eat Indian food pre- and post-partum and the baby once fed solids would also be fed food with the same flavor profiles. Therefore no conclusion can be made that the child likes or eats the foods because their flavor came through breast milk as opposed to the fact that the child was exposed to those foods consistently from day 1 of weaning to solids.

If you're using an ingredient that common sense would tell you is far out of the ordinary and/or possibly objectionable to people, you really need to disclose it before letting somebody eat it. 

And if someone asks what's in something, you'd better be truthful. People have ethical, religious and medical food restrictions and you could end up making someone really sick (or even killing them) for the sake of your blase attitude or 'hilarious' joke. I wish this were outside the realm of possibility, but I've seen so many instances where people don't take food restrictions seriously and end up letting someone eat something they're allergic to because they don't really believe it or can't grasp the implications. I've experienced this myself: "Will you be eating or cooking with any nuts?" "No! No nuts in this house, I promise! Just almonds and walnuts." ?‍♀️

3 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Spoiler

Ms Graveyard Dirt?

*runs and hides*

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived