IGNORED

Joy & Austin 23: Still Sticking Around

Jellybean

On 8/29/2018 at 10:35 PM, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Aluminum - can’t say it can’t spell it.  Good old spellcheck!

a LOO min um

In England al you MIN ee  um 

pronounced differently because it's spelled differently.

Think plutonium

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm usually a decent speller...but there are words that I can't spell to save my life. I think I was in my 20's before I got "tomorrow" right. I don't really care much though...that's why there's spellcheck 

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

a LOO min um

Think plutonium

We say it this way at home, just for fun.  Never realized it was spelled differently.

We also say ass-par-AG-us.

Reminder that getting uppity when you see a person’s lists of things you consider simple means that you might be putting down people with mental or physical health conditions. Laundry and dishes aren’t easy for everyone. Or maybe you’re just taking away the joy from anyone who feels good about themselves for getting things done. Life can be rough y’all. 

I have a planner for the simplest things and a positivity planner to remind myself that simple things matter!

I also think that it’s pretty sad to put down Joy for misspelling a word. We all know she was never given the chance to excel within an educational environment and some people are just not good at spelling or have learning disabilities ?‍♀️

10 minutes ago, RubyRei said:

Reminder that getting uppity when you see a person’s lists of things you consider simple means that you might be putting down people with mental or physical health conditions. Laundry and dishes aren’t easy for everyone. Or maybe you’re just taking away the joy from anyone who feels good about themselves for getting things done. Life can be rough y’all. 

I have a planner for the simplest things and a positivity planner to remind myself that simple things matter!

I also think that it’s pretty sad to put down Joy for misspelling a word. We all know she was never given the chance to excel within an educational environment and some people are just not good at spelling or have learning disabilities ?‍♀️

I also think it shows she did what most of us do. Wrote down vaccum and thought, “that doesn’t look right.” Vacuum. 

20 minutes ago, RubyRei said:

Could you describe what a positivity planner is? Sounds like something I could use! 

@Mama Mia Pictures under spoilers! I’m sure there are a million variations of these and I used to see bunches of ways people in the planner community incorporated this into their planners or bullet journals but i just got this from Walmart for $4.44. I have Bipolar anxiety and possibly BPD so this helps to reel me in a bit! And yes, I’m a sticker gal too ?

Spoiler

BD5680B9-F27C-449F-B131-6148B9FC452E.thumb.jpeg.9da302ea0c77890746c3187705b7a636.jpeg994D189D-41CB-45BC-8626-10DAB316D270.thumb.jpeg.51d871c69663f6f7453115536242ab23.jpeg07525662-9746-42C1-A841-98A29E7A2818.thumb.jpeg.62d809924c1b7fbfb67f36a6196e198a.jpeg

1 hour ago, RubyRei said:

I don't often see people seriously use the word "uppity!"

And I honestly haven't seen people here putting Joy down for misspelling a word. Are people maybe being harsher outside FJ? Maybe that's what I'm missing.

21 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I'm usually a decent speller...but there are words that I can't spell to save my life. I think I was in my 20's before I got "tomorrow" right. I don't really care much though...that's why there's spellcheck 

I only get this one because tom or row 

20 hours ago, Elvis Presby said:

We say it this way at home, just for fun.  Never realized it was spelled differently.

We also say ass-par-AG-us.

We say Spartacus lol

I always struggle to spell restaurant and guardian. I also married into a last name that has a "chh" in the middle of it. So now I always want to spell zucchini as zuchhini!

When I've got a big day of chores planned, I definitely write it all down to help me power through it. Day to day I don't write down things like "make supper," but a busy saturday of to-dos? sure. I also post stuff on social media that later I realize was kind of boring and not anything anyone would care about. Then again, I'm not selling a brand!

@Rachel333 No, you’re right. There hasn’t been a ton of criticism about that. Just to be accountable I went back and only saw your post saying you thought it was odd to post it because you’d fix it before posting (which isn’t wrong of you to feel that way, but my interpretation was that it was a little bit ~shamey~) and one other but i don’t want to just drag another person into this. 

I apologize for kind of overreacting with that and feeling like more people were being negative with her spelling than really were so thank you for holding me accountable on that end. I’m sure she got a lot of crap for it on insta but I haven’t looked. 

Still stand by what I said but I’ll step off my high horse that I get on whenever I feel like people are being judged for their mental or physical health conditions and capabilities. 

But really, thank you. I tend to sort of overblow things and I need to not do that. 

26 minutes ago, RubyRei said:

@Rachel333 No, you’re right. There hasn’t been a ton of criticism about that. Just to be accountable I went back and only saw your post saying you thought it was odd to post it because you’d fix it before posting (which isn’t wrong of you to feel that way, but my interpretation was that it was a little bit ~shamey~) and one other but i don’t want to just drag another person into this. 

I apologize for kind of overreacting with that and feeling like more people were being negative with her spelling than really were so thank you for holding me accountable on that end. I’m sure she got a lot of crap for it on insta but I haven’t looked. 

Still stand by what I said but I’ll step off my high horse that I get on whenever I feel like people are being judged for their mental or physical health conditions and capabilities. 

But really, thank you. I tend to sort of overblow things and I need to not do that. 

I agree about not shaming someone for that! I've just been confused about a couple posts since I don't feel like anyone has been particularly harsh.

I feel like there's a pretty big double standard in that people will ruthlessly mock everything Jill posts no matter how benign but apparently Joy is off limits, even though no one said anything worse than that it's a "social media fail?" Like I do get why people mock Jill and I do think critiquing social media strategies is different from direct personal criticism but it's hard to deny that the Jill criticism is usually straight up BEC so I don't really get why that's okay but mild snarking on Joy's social media isn't.

I definitely didn't mean to shame Joy personally by saying I thought it was a weird thing to post. I even said I didn't think there was anything wrong with it, just that I probably wouldn't post it if I had a misspelling I noticed (meaning that I misspell things  too so I wouldn't shame her simply for a misspelling!).

I feel like a lot of stuff about the Duggars gets taken excessively personally in this forum, and I was kind of doing the same thing by saying "it's not something I would do," so I'll try to avoid that in the future.

29 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I agree about not shaming someone for that! I've just been confused about a couple posts since I don't feel like anyone has been particularly harsh.

I feel like there's a pretty big double standard in that people will ruthlessly mock everything Jill posts no matter how benign but apparently Joy is off limits, even though no one said anything worse than that it's a "social media fail?" Like I do get why people mock Jill and I do think critiquing social media strategies is different from direct personal criticism but it's hard to deny that the Jill criticism is usually straight up BEC so I don't really get why that's okay but mild snarking on Joy's social media isn't.

I mean aside from having undisclosed sponsors, grifting, being general hypocrites, showcasing endangering children, there’s not much of a difference  when it comes down to just the boring ‘why the fuck did you post that’ kind of posts other than Jills personality. She seems like she tries really hard or is being fake or trying to be “x” or “y” or “z”. 

Those things I don’t really “”””care”””” about but I may think it in my head. Head snark, if  you will. 

But then when people critique/make fun of/ go after/whatever things that I feel could be related to mental or physical health conditions, I care about that because I know what it’s like to be hurt by it. 

Everyone has biases and people they just like more than others and sometimes Jill as a person can rub people the wrong way ?‍♀️

And Joy and Austin also have horrible beliefs, which they actively try to spread to others even if they seem less abrasive than Derick on social media, and are exploiting their child for a reality show, so I don't think they're much better than Jill (who at least is no longer putting her kids on tv, though I doubt that was her decision).

I get that Jill rubs people the wrong way though, and I don't go and scold people for criticizing her (that picture of her and Derick kissing really was pretty cringey). I think I often am just more bothered by the fundies that people defend more.

But I agree about speaking up about some things. If I thought anyone was actually criticizing Joy personally for a misspelling or saying that meant she was uneducated (I mean, based solely on the misspelling, not in general) then that would have bothered me too.

1 hour ago, RubyRei said:

@Mama Mia Pictures under spoilers! I’m sure there are a million variations of these and I used to see bunches of ways people in the planner community incorporated this into their planners or bullet journals but i just got this from Walmart for $4.44. I have Bipolar anxiety and possibly BPD so this helps to reel me in a bit! And yes, I’m a sticker gal too ?

Hide contents

BD5680B9-F27C-449F-B131-6148B9FC452E.thumb.jpeg.9da302ea0c77890746c3187705b7a636.jpeg994D189D-41CB-45BC-8626-10DAB316D270.thumb.jpeg.51d871c69663f6f7453115536242ab23.jpeg07525662-9746-42C1-A841-98A29E7A2818.thumb.jpeg.62d809924c1b7fbfb67f36a6196e198a.jpeg

I love love love this idea & think it's something that I DEFINITELY need to try for myself. Thank you for sharing!!!!!!

2 hours ago, RubyRei said:

@mollysmom I’m so glad I was able to show you! I hope it’s helpful for you in your life!

I'm going to try it too, thanks from me as well. 

I just saw a Counting On advertisement where Joy was in labor for 19 hours before they realized it was breech?  I’ve never been pregnant so maybe I am wrong, but wouldn’t they realize that much sooner in the labor?

42 minutes ago, itqitc said:

I just saw a Counting On advertisement where Joy was in labor for 19 hours before they realized it was breech?  I’ve never been pregnant so maybe I am wrong, but wouldn’t they realize that much sooner in the labor?

Israel and Gideon were both apparently breech and flipped during labor, so they had no way of knowing before hand. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

Sorry, but I call bullshit on both those instants. Flipping during labor can happen, but Israel and Gideon were both quite large and while Jill and Joy were probably in pain and not aware of everything going on with their bodies, I would think that would be pretty hard to miss.  They had shitty prenatal care and incompetent midwives. Joy's midwife at least had enough sense to send Joy to hospital 20 hours in, rather than waiting for two days like Jill did.

Israel and Gideon were both apparently breech and flipped during labor, so they had no way of knowing before hand. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:
Sorry, but I call bullshit on both those instants. Flipping during labor can happen, but Israel and Gideon were both quite large and while Jill and Joy were probably in pain and not aware of everything going on with their bodies, I would think that would be pretty hard to miss.  They had shitty prenatal care and incompetent midwives. Joy's midwife at least had enough sense to send Joy to hospital 20 hours in, rather than waiting for two days like Jill did.

So they were head down and then flipped into breech in labor? That seems like an unlikely coincidence that two sisters would be experience the same thing within a relatively short space of time. I call shenanigans.

Watching Joys full birth episode... I’m pretty certain Jill was the only midwife at her house. Why would Jill be taking her vitals if the real midwife was there? We’ve met Joys midwife before so I don’t think she would have just not been on camera... and they only referred to the midwife as “the midwife”.

but we only saw maybe 5 minutes of her labor 

I haven't seem Joy's birthing episode yet, but it sounds rough. I hope she opts for a birthing center or a hospital next time, and better prenatal care.

I haven't seen tonight's episode but I thought it sounded like she was laboring at home and when the midwife arrived she ascertained that the baby was breech and immediately sent Joy to the hospital. Did they actually say that the baby turned during labor?

On 8/30/2018 at 9:43 AM, violynn said:

My can't get it right the first time word is recommendation. 

(Yes, I checked twice, not believing I'd spelled it right the first time)

My stumbling block is the word "occasion". I double the wrong letter. I also use the word "occasionally" pretty often. I misspell it often enough that my phone offers my misspelling as often as the correct spelling.  :pb_lol:

I'm a decent speller, but not perfect. When my husband and I were dating, he laughed at me for misspelling "luscious" in a note I had jotted. Awhile later, I laughed at him for thinking that New England is a state. Neither of us meant it in a mean spirit. :)

On 8/31/2018 at 7:06 PM, Bad Wolf said:

a LOO min um

Think plutonium

Thanks for the earworm! :my_biggrin:

Spoiler

On 9/1/2018 at 5:14 PM, RubyRei said:

Reveal hidden contents

That is awesome, thanks for sharing! I think Now I know what I’m getting everyone for Christmas

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived