IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 33: In touch with gossip

samurai_sarah

This may be a bit of a dark subject change, but I was talking to a friend about it today so now I'm curious. I wonder how the Duggar estate will be handled after JB and Michelle pass away? They seem to like shuffling around their properties, so I wonder if they plan on not having much in their name anyway when the time comes.

My poor dear friend only has two siblings and they more or less get along- and they're still facing a tragic amount of drama surrounding this subject. It sounds like so much pressure, and I can't imagine how to even begin with 19 kids.

Does Josh get to be in charge? Or all the boys equally? Or all the boys AND girls equally?

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

This may be a bit of a dark subject change, but I was talking to a friend about it today so now I'm curious. I wonder how the Duggar estate will be handled after JB and Michelle pass away? They seem to like shuffling around their properties, so I wonder if they plan on not having much in their name anyway when the time comes.

My poor dear friend only has two siblings and they more or less get along- and they're still facing a tragic amount of drama surrounding this subject. It sounds like so much pressure, and I can't imagine how to even begin with 19 kids.

Does Josh get to be in charge? Or all the boys equally? Or all the boys AND girls equally?

I also kind of wonder what their plan is. Really, they should leave Jana in charge of the whole mess, since she seems to be mostly in charge of raising the kids these days. I do hope they have a good will and everything planned for as much as possible. It will be interesting someday, if they are still in the news at all, to see what happens after they both pass. Will the kids drift further into fundie-lite? Will all zillion of them still get together for holidays? Which ones will run? Will Josie start her own punk band?

59 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

I'm with you on wondering that- even for siblings who like each other, the process of dealing with stuff after the passing of parents is often hard, even if no one gets particularly grabby. Something I've observed in adult siblings of large families (anecdata, I know) is that there tends to be a few people who cope by being very focused on everyone getting exactly the same size slice of pie, which is always gonna be practically difficult to satisfy. Also, the sheer amount of time that goes into settling estates is gonna lead to some stress for the executors and whoever is feeling invested in the process. That's all multiplied by how many Duggars there are, and how much stuff JB and Michelle own- not just property, but like that huge shed full of old crap that JB showed on 19 Kids. Someone either needs to sift through that or take ownership of it. Yikes.

On a completely separate note, I went to Pickles' page to see what everyone was talking about in the Josiah thread with speculation that she might have the date for J&L's wedding right. In the same post she mentioned one of Michelle's sisters had a stroke and is now living in the TTH. No idea if it's true (it's Pickles, after all), but thoughts? I'd be impressed if it's true, using their resources (space, money, and manpower) to take care of someone outside of their circle.

Didn’t Taylors grandmother have a stroke? And that was the rason she couldn’t take care of him and the reason he came to live with the Duggars?

It would be very nice to both the grandmother and Taylor if they could live together at the Duggars house.  

@Iamtheway Tyler is his name! Yes, his grandmother did have a stroke. Not sure if she is living in the TTH

1 hour ago, pandora said:

I'm with you on wondering that- even for siblings who like each other, the process of dealing with stuff after the passing of parents is often hard, even if no one gets particularly grabby. Something I've observed in adult siblings of large families (anecdata, I know) is that there tends to be a few people who cope by being very focused on everyone getting exactly the same size slice of pie, which is always gonna be practically difficult to satisfy. Also, the sheer amount of time that goes into settling estates is gonna lead to some stress for the executors and whoever is feeling invested in the process. That's all multiplied by how many Duggars there are, and how much stuff JB and Michelle own- not just property, but like that huge shed full of old crap that JB showed on 19 Kids. Someone either needs to sift through that or take ownership of it. Yikes.

I can see the Duggar kids being grabby. Some of them grabbing as much as they can like Josh while the rest grabbing what they can because they have no jobs or means of supporting themselves. Unless that changes and they start getting jobs. If JB has a will and maybe he does. Who would he leave what to who? Like the businesses? He's made sure none of his kids are savvy enough in business not to drive it into the ground. Would he really trust giving it all to Josh? He'll blow through it all and be in ruin in no time. Dividing it among 19 kids? Or just his sons. Given how little he and his wife have prepared their kids to take a care of themselves on their own a lot of them are going to be in for a big shock. Unless they figure it out sooner and get education, skills, something to support their families and themselves.   

I don't know what Jim Bob's preparations will be but, based on what is happening now, Derick will have some EPIC tantrum tweets is he doesn't get as much as he thinks he and Jill deserve.

Whatever it is, I'm sure Jana will get stuck with doling it out to everyone

29 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Whatever it is, I'm sure Jana will get stuck with doling it out to everyone

Idk, that sounds like a position of power to me. Probably the most powerful position she would be allowed to occupy in that family. If it falls to Jana, good for her.

Let’s just hope it doesn’t fall to Joshley. 

2 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Idk, that sounds like a position of power to me. Probably the most powerful position she would be allowed to occupy in that family. If it falls to Jana, good for her.

Let’s just hope it doesn’t fall to Joshley. 

He's the eldest son in a patriarchal cult. I’d be surprised if at least part of the responsibility doesn’t fall to him. I mean, I’m pretty sure that according to that stupid umbrella of authority it’s Josh who is supposed to end up with authority over his mother and unmarried siblings when his father dies. If that’s the case then it’d make sense (by that logic) for him to have control over helping to dole out the estate.

29 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

He's the eldest son in a patriarchal cult. I’d be surprised if at least part of the responsibility doesn’t fall to him. I mean, I’m pretty sure that according to that stupid umbrella of authority it’s Josh who is supposed to end up with authority over his mother and unmarried siblings when his father dies. If that’s the case then it’d make sense (by that logic) for him to have control over helping to dole out the estate.

I know you are probably right, but the injustice of that makes me so sad. He’s been shown to be predatory and untrustworthy but he’s a man so he naturally deserves to be in charge of the women in his life. Disgusting.

Given how JB has treated Josh since "the late disaster," I expect one of the attorney friends will be the executor of their wills or it will all be set out in a trust. 

16 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Given how JB has treated Josh since "the late disaster," I expect one of the attorney friends will be the executor of their wills or it will all be set out in a trust. 

This.  Most of their properties are either part of a business or in their trust.  Their business succession plans and the trust theoretically lay out the disposition of their assets. Hopefully, a third party would be the executor, who would be compensated from the trust.  If they let Josh or JD do it....yikes.

On 4/14/2018 at 8:30 PM, SamiKatz said:

Not everyone has Kim Kardashian's photoshop skills, man.

Well there is only one thing to say to this, THANK GOD!

On 5/8/2018 at 12:04 PM, Snarkasarus Rex said:

This.  Most of their properties are either part of a business or in their trust.  Their business succession plans and the trust theoretically lay out the disposition of their assets. Hopefully, a third party would be the executor, who would be compensated from the trust.  If they let Josh or JD do it....yikes.

The Duggars almost certainly have a trust in place.  A trust, amongst other things, allows the family an extra layer of privacy.  My guess would be the assets would be distributed per stirpes, with an outside executor, probably a trusted family friend (CPA sort).   There could be additional provisions for medical care if one of the children has issues (clearly not for education!).  

Being an executor of an estate, especially as complex as the Duggars (businesses, properties, etc) can be a significant undertaking and given the level of education, or lack thereof, of their children, it is probably best left to either a professional or a friend who works in the financial/legal field.   

On 5/9/2018 at 1:38 AM, Coconut Flan said:

I agree. I also wouldn't be surprised if John-David would be made co-executor, or if he would be the person in liaison with attorneys. While I'd love to assume that maybe Jana would get more input, she's an unmarried woman. So I doubt it. But with Josh having broken the family's trust (or so they say), JD stands a good chance of having that kind of responsibility.

And from what we've seen, he does seem to be calm and sensible enough to ensure it all worked out ethically. I doubt he'd buy into too much drama... but then again I've never met him, so... 

Guessing the way Jim Bob will have the will set up, and knowing that all single women will have to be under an older brother's (probably Josh's) headship, if Jana doesn't marry, I really hope that JD fights to be her headship. He would be much better for her than Josh, who may assign her to another sibling. Ideally, as a grown woman, she wouldn't need a headship, but I know the Duggars and their toxic beliefs.

3 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

if Jana doesn't marry, I really hope that JD fights to be her headship. He would be much better for her than Josh, who may assign her to another sibling. Ideally, as a grown woman, she wouldn't need a headship, but I know the Duggars and their toxic beliefs.

That's crazy - Poor Jana :my_sad:

23 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Guessing the way Jim Bob will have the will set up, and knowing that all single women will have to be under an older brother's (probably Josh's) headship, if Jana doesn't marry, I really hope that JD fights to be her headship. He would be much better for her than Josh, who may assign her to another sibling. Ideally, as a grown woman, she wouldn't need a headship, but I know the Duggars and their toxic beliefs.

This is where I do think it's fair to call Jana "Cinderjana." I think Jana does have hobbies and friends and may be as happy as she knows how to be. However, at the end of the day she isn't free. There is no way JD is saddled with childcare like Jana. His hobbies and job allow him a decent amount of freedom to travel. JDs can park his airplane and walk away to get a bite to eat. Jana obviously can't walk from her nieces, nephews, and siblings. No woman, no matter how maternal, just adores never ending child care. Nor do I believe Jana is "paid nanny" to her nieces and nephews. She gets the privilege of doing it for free. It's shameful. Free Jana. 

On 5/8/2018 at 10:38 AM, Coconut Flan said:

I think this is the most likely.   Back when Josh was still the Golden Child, JB may have been fine with letting Josh be in charge.   Not now.   I can see things being set up in a trust spelling it all out or appointing an attorney to handle it.  

51 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

I can see things being set up in a trust spelling it all out or appointing an attorney to handle it.  

I can see them appointing Austin's dumb-as-fuck brother-in-law... The one who became Josh's attorney when he tried to make money from his sisters' victimhood. The one who didn't know spelling... or words...or the law.... Yep. Good luck with that one, Duggars.

5 minutes ago, ElToro said:

I can see them appointing Austin's dumb-as-fuck brother-in-law... The one who became Josh's attorney when he tried to make money from his sisters' victimhood. The one who didn't know spelling... or words...or the law.... Yep. Good luck with that one, Duggars.

I have no doubt that if an attorney is appointed, it will be someone they know and the choice will be on the basis of that rather than expertise.  

46 minutes ago, ElToro said:

Oh yeah! I nearly forgot about the lawsuit! Whatever happened with that? Was there a thread that followed it that I can catch up with?

23 hours ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

I agree. I also wouldn't be surprised if John-David would be made co-executor, or if he would be the person in liaison with attorneys. While I'd love to assume that maybe Jana would get more input, she's an unmarried woman. So I doubt it. But with Josh having broken the family's trust (or so they say), JD stands a good chance of having that kind of responsibility.

And from what we've seen, he does seem to be calm and sensible enough to ensure it all worked out ethically. I doubt he'd buy into too much drama... but then again I've never met him, so... 

Josh is outside the circle of trust! (Hahahaha "Meet the Parents" Robert Deniro/Ben Stiller) 

5 hours ago, mollysmom said:

Josh is outside the circle of trust! (Hahahaha "Meet the Parents" Robert Deniro/Ben Stiller) 

Too bad his parents didn't "keep their eyes on" him.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived