IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 33: In touch with gossip

samurai_sarah

On 5/30/2018 at 4:43 PM, singsingsing said:
The event description on Facebook has 'dealing with the harshness and criticism of the media' as one of the discussion topics. Hopefully Derick attends. :my_rolleyes:

Tip #1:  Don't sign on to do a reality TV show when you have child-molesting skeletons in the closet.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't gotten to reading the article yet, because...1809253563_ScreenShot2018-06-01at17_52_28.png.7e95b47fdd96bb30cd1d3d13b758497d.png

.... ARE THESE FOUR REALLY THE MAIN TOPICS?! I'm cackling! I have no idea what this magazine even really is apart from seeing screenshots of Duggar stuff, but like... with that line up there they must be Proficient Train Wreck Detectives. :laughing-rofl:

I hate to deviate from the current discussion, but one of my favorite podcasts -- "Good Christian Fun" -- just did an episode on the Duggars! It was like waking up to a present!

Bear in mind, it was more entertaining to get a feel for the hosts' reactions to the Duggars (or the concept of them) rather than to actually get information. They were, by their admission, kind of lost and I don't blame them; they both mention having to cram all this research about the family and came up with conflicting results, so there are some mild inaccuracies throughout the podcast. There is a lot to the saga(s), which might explain why my loved ones seem to glaze over when I try and explain.

(Also a heads-up that their format includes talking with their current guest about their religious/spiritual experiences for about thirty minutes before they get to the actual topic. The 17KAC episode is charming, but their other episodes are a bit more put-together in my opinion.)

That's very believable to me too. Though they left out probably the biggest reason for said shunning: That she's likely a "source" on all these rag stories. 

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

That's very believable to me too. Though they left out probably the biggest reason for said shunning: That she's likely a "source" on all these rag stories. 

Yeah Amy or Dillion have been long speculated to be the the source. It sucks that she's being left out. If they did discover she's the source, that would be hard to rebuild trust. 

It's not just speculation, though, is it? Amy was actually quoted in different magazine articles dishing on the Duggars - or am I remembering wrong? I can definitely understand them being pissed, and worrying what she'll say to the tabloids next. 

8 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

It's not just speculation, though, is it? Amy was actually quoted in different magazine articles dishing on the Duggars - or am I remembering wrong? I can definitely understand them being pissed, and worrying what she'll say to the tabloids next. 

I thought that Amy did say some things and then there was an "inside source" that was also leaking things. I could be misremembering. 

I'm sure they do have a relationship, but off-camera. I'm sure she was invited to Josiah's wedding, but if she's there, she won't be seen in any public photos. Yes, she and Dillon said some things, and I think they've learned their lesson. Last time I watched a "live Instagram" of hers, she kept getting asked, and she finally said "I'm not gonna answer questions about my family". She knows that no matter what she says now, she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. Just waiting for them to privatize their social media, or at least tone it down like Alyssa does.

I looked through that article and I’m really not impressed. Amy being shunned by her Uncle and his family is a claim that’s been going around for years now and I get the feeling they’re just recycling old rumors. Amy has stated in the past that the lack of photos on social media wasn’t from being cut out, but was because she was respecting her family’s request that not much be shared about them following the scandals breaking in 2015. I actually believe her when she said that - it makes sense that they’d want to take a few steps back to regroup in private. Any lack of photos now could easily be attributed to that or to the fact that Amy has her own life, interests, and family to focus on - as do her cousins. 

As for recent interactions: I know Amy and Dillon did the ski trip with some of her family (including JoKen) late last year and I’m almost positive she met Gideon Forsyth at the hospital after his birth. I remember seeing a photo of her holding him in a hospital room. She attended Jill’s baby shower last summer, both weddings last year, and went on a girl’s trip last year with her mom, Grandma, and Aunt Michelle as well. 

As for the claim the article made about the Duggars leaving her wedding reception - I’m positive I read that Amy said she requested that the DJ announce when dancing would begin so her uncle and his family had time to decide if they wanted to leave or not. It wasn’t them shunning her, it was her trying to respect their beliefs.

(I think it’s definitely possible they have or are currently shunning her to a certain extent, but I’m not convinced at all by that article and I don’t think she’s been cut out of their lives in the way the article claimed.)

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I thought that Amy did say some things and then there was an "inside source" that was also leaking things. I could be misremembering. 

Only stuff I remember is that she and Dillon said some stuff after the Josh scandals. Dillon stated that Amy wasn’t one of Josh’s victims at some point. And I think Amy said a few things as well around that time. 2015 was the year they got married and their wedding was only a month after the Ashley Madison scandal broke, so it probably would have been a bit tough to avoid questions at that point.

What I found interesting about that article is the claim that JB still has significant amounts of influence over his married children.

I can understand JB telling the children who rent houses from him that Amy is not allowed on his property (although I'm not sure if it's legal to control your tenants' visitors?). However, Jill, Jinger, and Joy all are married and live off JB's property. Their husbands are their headships (blecch), not JB. So in theory, JB has no say over who they invite to their houses.

But he's still controlling their lives to this extent? Awful.

(I understand Inquisitor is one of the worst of the gossip rags, and it's not a great source, but there's probably some truth there.

8 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

What I found interesting about that article is the claim that JB still has significant amounts of influence over his married children.

I can understand JB telling the children who rent houses from him that Amy is not allowed on his property (although I'm not sure if it's legal to control your tenants' visitors?). However, Jill, Jinger, and Joy all are married and live off JB's property. Their husbands are their headships (blecch), not JB. So in theory, JB has no say over who they invite to their houses.

But he's still controlling their lives to this extent? Awful.

(I understand Inquisitor is one of the worst of the gossip rags, and it's not a great source, but there's probably some truth there.

Jessa isn’t living in one of her father’s properties either. The deed was transferred from Grandma Mary to Jessa and Ben last year when they moved some properties around. So Benessa appear to now own the house they live in.

(During that same flurry of property transfers, the house that Amy and Dillon live in was transferred to them from Grandma Mary as well.)

It sounds like Grandma Mary was doing some pre-estate planning in the event of her death.  Smart actually, this way GM (or really Boob) give assets away put everything into a living trust so if she gets some horrid illness like Alzheimer's they (the government) won't take everything she owns to pay for her care.  At least this is what my idiot father & bitch stepmother are flipping out about. Her mom has Alzheimer's and bitch is taking care of her at home because she doesn't want all the money she has in real estate & the bank to be taxed or taken or what ever to pay for full time care. Because grandma refused to do a living trust after her husband died about 5 years ago. 

The government doesn’t take everything you own to pay for care.  You end up selling it and you have to get assets under a level the state mandates to qualify for Medicaid.  (Something I had to do because my mother has dementia)

3 minutes ago, clueliss said:

The government doesn’t take everything you own to pay for care.  You end up selling it and you have to get assets under a level the state mandates to qualify for Medicaid.  (Something I had to do because my mother has dementia)

Yep, the dreaded "spend down". 

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

Is this what it is? My dad keeps saying "fucking government" takes everything blah blah blah.... but as I said he is an idiot, so I shouldn't be surprised he had no idea what he was talking about. 

On 6/2/2018 at 1:16 PM, Jigsaw3 said:

However, Jill, Jinger, and Joy all are married and live off JB's property.

On 6/2/2018 at 1:28 PM, VelociRapture said:

Jessa isn’t living in one of her father’s properties either.

The only married child living in a home owned by Jim Bob is Joseph. Josh's house is owned by a separate LLC (ALB Investments).

On 6/2/2018 at 4:06 PM, clueliss said:

The government doesn’t take everything you own to pay for care.  You end up selling it and you have to get assets under a level the state mandates to qualify for Medicaid.

Trying to avoid this situation.... aside from incorporating (with a lot of legal whazoo I was not interested in), advisors told me the best way to keep your assets when/if incapacitated was to get long term care insurance.

LTC can be spendy - buy it as young as you can.

On 5/31/2018 at 7:45 PM, BunnyBee said:

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/duggar-reeducation-161010

InTouch deserves the clicks for the article! 

Finally a critical look at the Duggars from a magazine. This deserves more attention than beautiful wedding spreads or baby announcements!!

I'm surprised by this, it might change a few minds about this family, and not for the better. I think this article can only be a good thing. I'd love it if more eyes were open to the hypocrisy and even awfulness of some of what happened in the family.   I hope In Touch, People magazines are starting to take a deeper look at this family.  Maybe the tide is turning? 

I have two LTC policies, which I ported when I left two previous employers. They cost me (total) $10/month. They're good for up to 72 months of care, at a rate of $5,000/month. At least it will help, some, should I need it.

4 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I'm surprised by this, it might change a few minds about this family, and not for the better. I think this article can only be a good thing. I'd love it if more eyes were open to the hypocrisy and even awfulness of some of what happened in the family.   I hope In Touch, People magazines are starting to take a deeper look at this family.  Maybe the tide is turning? 

I doubt it. In Touch has been critical of the Duggars for years now. They were the magazine that broke the molestation scandal, but they have a pretty poor reputation for quality. I don’t think many people take them seriously to be honest.

At this point, the people supporting the entire family are the hardcore fans that likely won’t ever abandon them. The people only supporting Counting On because of the married kids (minus Josh) probably won’t abandon them unless they have scandals of their own - and even then it’s not a given. A good example of that is the support Jill still gets from fans despite the backlash over the Dills’ grifting and Derick’s atrocious social media behavior. 

I do believe Jim Bob has treated Amy a little bit disrespectfully, like she has "cooties" so to speak. We have seen more than ample evidence of how self-righteous and superior they are. I think it's pretty crappy to only allow contact with her at your house, not at her house. She is your sister's daughter for goodness sake. I would be very hurt if I were in Amy's shoes.  

12 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I do believe Jim Bob has treated Amy a little bit disrespectfully, like she has "cooties" so to speak. We have seen more than ample evidence of how self-righteous and superior they are. I think it's pretty crappy to only allow contact with her at your house, not at her house. She is your sister's daughter for goodness sake. I would be very hurt if I were in Amy's shoes.  

I do give Amy props for not out right telling Uncle JB to go fuck himself, Honestly I wish Amy, Deanna, and GM would tell Boob to go fuck himself, he's an asshole and needs to get over himself.  If it weren't for HIS father JB would have NOTHING, it has TLC and dad dying that gave Boob the $$ he so desired. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived