IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 33: In touch with gossip

samurai_sarah

7 minutes ago, JMO said:

That's actually the complete opposite of the truth.  You can only get shingles if you've had chicken pox.  It's the same virus (varicella) and it lies dormant in your body after you've contracted it.  It's from the herpes family of viruses, they all remain dormant after you've contracted them.  

Yep.  I had chicken pox as a kid and several years ago when I was in my mid-40s, I got shingles.  My rash was just over my right eye, covering the forehead.  I figured it was a case of ringworm (fungal infection) but hot damn, the itching, burning PAIN was getting unbearable.  I couldn't understand it.  Finally I insisted I go to urgent care and when the doc said "shingles" I was stunned.   It was a good thing I went in because the doc said since it was so close to my eye, it was definitely an emergency.  Anti-virals took care of it quickly enough.

To this day I have a weird, tingly feeling in that area.

JimBoob so deserves a whopping case of shingles. :twisted:

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bajovane said:

Yep.  I had chicken pox as a kid and several years ago when I was in my mid-40s, I got shingles.  My rash was just over my right eye, covering the forehead.  I figured it was a case of ringworm (fungal infection) but hot damn, the itching, burning PAIN was getting unbearable.  I couldn't understand it.  Finally I insisted I go to urgent care and when the doc said "shingles" I was stunned.   It was a good thing I went in because the doc said since it was so close to my eye, it was definitely an emergency.  Anti-virals took care of it quickly enough.

To this day I have a weird, tingly feeling in that area.

JimBoob so deserves a whopping case of shingles. :twisted:

I did have it in my eye a few months ago. Talk about miserable, it was awful. my eye was weeping and it felt like I had 1000 eyelashes stabbing my eye, it was 2 weeks of hell trying to work and noting being able to see.

It is downright dangerous when you get it in your eye, or even your ear.  I know people who had that happen.  One lady lost her sight in that eye for quite a while and it still isn't quite right years later.  Get it in your ear, you can lose hearing in that ear.

Public Service Announcement for all - if you even suspect shingles and it's on your head - please see a doctor pronto.  It is no joke!

3 hours ago, JMO said:

That's actually the complete opposite of the truth.  You can only get shingles if you've had chicken pox.  It's the same virus (varicella) and it lies dormant in your body after you've contracted it.  It's from the herpes family of viruses, they all remain dormant after you've contracted them.  

Yeah. I was meaning that maybe he was taught that since  I was. 

My husband has had shingles.  Neither him or his mom have any idea of when he could've had chicken pox before. I told him maybe he had pox and since he was an adult, they said it was shingles to make him not feel like a kid lol

Sorry to keep jumping in.  A coworker of mine got chicken pox in her 30s.  As far as she knew, she never had it as a child but oh my - she had it all over the place, even the bottoms of her feet.  Shingles usually only affects one side of the body.  My doc had asked if it was like I drew a line down the center of my face.  Pain on one side, nothing on the other.  Yep.  Bingo.  Shingles.  I recall my chicken pox was all over.  I still have scars from it.

1 hour ago, RainbowSky said:

Yeah. I was meaning that maybe he was taught that since  I was. 

My husband has had shingles.  Neither him or his mom have any idea of when he could've had chicken pox before. I told him maybe he had pox and since he was an adult, they said it was shingles to make him not feel like a kid lol

I had chicken pox as an adult. Chicken pox and shingles present completely differently.

I was 28 when I had them (caught them from GryffindorDisappointment). It was hell. I had lesions all over my body, including in my ears, mouth, and other orifices. After 10 days, I was put into the hospital with pneumonia then a pleural effusion due to the chicken pox (it's rare, but it does happen - I'll link to a medical journal for further reading if you're interested). I was in the hospital for two weeks, and was critically ill. I quite likely could have died (and one woman in the same city did die from complications of the disease), because this illness is supposed to be a CHILDHOOD illness. 

http://thorax.bmj.com/content/thoraxjnl/41/6/491.full.pdf  

I got Shingles while pregnant with Baby Pearl. I had the rash for 6 weeks and nerve pain until I gave birth. I took the anti virals but no pain medication for it. It was pure hell. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

i apologize in advance if this is discussed elsewhere, but i had searched and couldn't find it so i came here because it was the only place i could think of to look, so ... anyway, the other day i was just flipping through random articles and there was one about a hidden video someone had taken of michelle duggar scolding jenni and once she realized there was a camera there she completely flipped a switch like she wasn't just berating/emotional abusing her daughter. anyone else catch that news? or talk about it? if not in this thread, please point me to the right one!

I never had chicken pox or shingles. I dread it if I ever come down with it. One of my Aunt's had shingles a few years back, and it was horrible. 

2 hours ago, browncoatslytherin said:

i apologize in advance if this is discussed elsewhere, but i had searched and couldn't find it so i came here because it was the only place i could think of to look, so ... anyway, the other day i was just flipping through random articles and there was one about a hidden video someone had taken of michelle duggar scolding jenni and once she realized there was a camera there she completely flipped a switch like she wasn't just berating/emotional abusing her daughter. anyone else catch that news? or talk about it? if not in this thread, please point me to the right one!

I believe you're talking about Derick's live instagram video. It was discussed on the Dillard thread. 

1 hour ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I never had chicken pox or shingles. I dread it if I ever come down with it. One of my Aunt's had shingles a few years back, and it was horrible. 

Can you get vaccinated as an adult? I never had chicken pox either since I was vaccinated. 

1 minute ago, TuringMachine said:

I believe you're talking about Derick's live instagram video. It was discussed on the Dillard thread. 

thank you! i couldn't remember who took the video and if i did i likely would have gone to the dillard thread first lol.

4 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I never had chicken pox either since I was vaccinated. 

The vaccine was approved two months after I had them.

The main thing that concerns me about the vaccine is that it's still so relatively "new" that I don't think its long-term efficacy has been fully determined.

6 hours ago, Bajovane said:

It is downright dangerous when you get it in your eye, or even your ear.  I know people who had that happen.  One lady lost her sight in that eye for quite a while and it still isn't quite right years later.  Get it in your ear, you can lose hearing in that ear.

Public Service Announcement for all - if you even suspect shingles and it's on your head - please see a doctor pronto.  It is no joke!

I was lucky that the lesions I had were out side my line of site, but one was right on the peripheral, thankfully when all was healed that one shrank enough that it was just outside of it so it didn't effect my already damaged vision by another illness that I had that affected the other eye a few years earlier.  And yes I waited way to long to see my eye doctor that prolonged my treatment and did permanent damage to my eye. 

6 hours ago, Bajovane said:

I had a shingles vaccine last fall. I recommend that too.

I had chicken pox as a kid as well. When I was five to six over my birthday. Have a couple of scars, too.

My saying maybe my husband had chicken pox instead of shingles and they lied to him was what I told him in an attempt to be funny. Since no one knows when he apparently had chicken pox, I said it was a bit weird and he's lucky! How he he apparently had pox and it wasn't bad enough to even notice from a dude who's been hospitalized from poison ivy is just crazy lol.

Hijacking this thread to put down some random thoughts I had last night:

I started "following" the Duggars before Jill and Jessa started courting. I'll admit that I was more excited for Jill's wedding than I should have been for some random people I know from TV. I also stumbled across FreeJinger some time before that (oh boy, what an eye-opener that has been!). I was so weirdly fascinated by this big, supposedly happy family which really puts an emphasis on spending time as a family and expressing your appreciation for each other  (I'm an only child, come from an unhappy marriage, atheist family etc, so basically the complete opposite).

I also love playing The Sims and naturally, tried playing with big families, too. But I always got tired of taking care of all those Sim kids in the end and just had the oldest kid get married/move out to start a new game or have Grandma take care of all the cooking/repairing/cleaning while Mommy was busy being pregnant... Long story short, this is exactly how I feel about the Duggars by now. I've lost all interest about who is courting whom and all those shenanigans. While that is a good thing because I spend less time on the Internet, I wonder how it might feel being part of their family and just being tired of all those people around you ALL THE TIME and the endless courtships/weddings/gender reveals. But again, that may be me reflecting my experience as an only child on their living situation.

(Sorry for the wall of text, carry on...)

Never had chicken pox or shingles thankfully. 

Unfortunately, I’ve also never been in a relationship, or even on a date. I’m 22...kinda starting to think something’s wrong with me. 

37 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Unfortunately, I’ve also never been in a relationship, or even on a date. I’m 22...kinda starting to think something’s wrong with me. 

I didn't get started until I was 20. I was in relationships, or dating, for years after that and plenty of people were interested in me. I think more people are late starters than you'd think, but many just don't admit to it because there's a narrative where you have your first kiss at a certain age and then have a steady girl/boyfriend in high school. But it doesn't really happen like that for a lot of people. 

4 hours ago, Mavis said:

I didn't get started until I was 20. I was in relationships, or dating, for years after that and plenty of people were interested in me. I think more people are late starters than you'd think, but many just don't admit to it because there's a narrative where you have your first kiss at a certain age and then have a steady girl/boyfriend in high school. But it doesn't really happen like that for a lot of people. 

This. @Jinder Roles, if I had a dollar for every person on the internet I've seen 'admitting' to being a 'late bloomer' in the romance department, I would be rich. It is WAY more common than most people think. And I'm talking people in their late 20s and beyond - 22 is so young! 

There's no set path. There's no trajectory that's the 'right' pattern to follow. I know it sounds a bit shallow and trite, but it really is true that you should just live your life the way you want to live it, be true to yourself and your own wants and needs, and don't worry about what anyone else is doing or thinking. Anyone who's side-eyeing someone else for being [insert age here] and never having [insert whatever here] is frankly pretty weird and maybe needs to get a hobby or something anyway.

Some people only start dating at 25 and then regularly date/have active love lives until they find someone to settle down with. Other people start dating super early and then stop. If you asked the guy in question, my first boyfriend was at the age of 11 - but it was a whirlwind summer romance, he shouted endearments at me every time he saw me riding my bike around the neighbourhood, I gave him my number but he NEVER CALLED, and yet he told all his friends I was his girlfriend - I never saw him after school started again in the Fall. :pb_lol: 

I had one boyfriend and a couple almost-boyfriends in high school, kissed two or three guys, all around the 'normal' age - and then nothing. Since leaving high school I've been on two or three dates, but I just haven't met anyone I'm interested in. When I was in my early 20s this seemed devastating and shameful to me, but the older I get, the less I care - to the point where I very rarely have thoughts now like, "Oh no, I'm X years old and I still haven't had a serious relationship!" even though logically you'd think it'd be weighing on my mind even more. It's not. I'm much more comfortable with my life and who I am as a person.

The people who 'get' you, whether they're potential friends or lovers, will appreciate you for who you are. Anyone judging you for something as personal, complicated, and often random as relationship experience or lack thereof has very strange priorities and is probably not someone you want in your life anyway.

5 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Never had chicken pox or shingles thankfully. 

Please don't feel like there is something wrong with you.

My oldest son is 37,never had the chicken pox,either.He hasn't had much luck with dating,and I think believes he will remain single,he also believes no one would ever want him.I know I sound like The Mother Hen here,but it breaks my heart that he feels that way.He is also very busy with his job,working sometimes 60 hours a week.

My other son is 35,today.He also was in a terrible,dead end relationship...long story,the woman was using him(think walking ATM) and he really loves/loved her,and it took years for him to see through her.She manipulated him with lies and empty promises etc..used her kids to manipulate him.He didn't set proper boundaries.He isn't weak or stupid,but he was blinded by love,hope,trust and his loyalty.And he's gullible and naive.Mother Hen here...but it's hard to see someone hurting your child,not matter what their age is...he is still my child.Men who are in abusive relationships,sometimes don't get much sympathy.There's a stigma to male abuse,unfortunately.

6 hours ago, DillyDally said:

I also love playing The Sims and naturally, tried playing with big families, too. But I always got tired of taking care of all those Sim kids in the end and just had the oldest kid get married/move out to start a new game or have Grandma take care of all the cooking/repairing/cleaning while Mommy was busy being pregnant... 

I played Sims for years as well and when there were too many in a family I usually killed someone off. I wanted to have somewhat broad family trees but not hundreds of households, so I usually planned the family like "okay, I want them to have four kids but then one will just stay at home, never marry and die as an adult, another one will die as a child or teen, and the rest will start their own families..." I also had a lot of second cousin marrying each other as to continue with the households already built rather than start new ones. Oh, I miss those days :pb_lol: 

1 hour ago, melon said:

My other son is 35,today.He also was in a terrible,dead end relationship...long story,the woman was using him(think walking ATM) and he really loves/loved her,and it took years for him to see through her.She manipulated him with lies and empty promises etc..used her kids to manipulate him.He didn't set proper boundaries.He isn't weak or stupid,but he was blinded by love,hope,trust and his loyalty.And he's gullible and naive.Mother Hen here...but it's hard to see someone hurting your child,not matter what their age is...he is still my child.Men who are in abusive relationships,sometimes don't get much sympathy.There's a stigma to male abuse,unfortunately.

One of my brother's friends is in a relationship like that. He had never dated and when he asked women out was always turned down. He didn't think anyone would marry him. So one did come along he jumped at the chance. Ignoring all red flags because he thought this was his only chance. Here was one who wanted to marry him and she had kids. He'd finally have a family of his own. She saw him as an ATM and workhorse who would support her and her kids and take care of her kids so she doesn't have too.  She's a bitch who treats him like crap, blows through his money, and does nothing while he does everything working and raising her kids. She uses her kids to make sure he won't leave who's going to raise her kids if he leaves? Who's going to feed them and get them to school? Which unfortunately is true. If he leaves she won't lift a finger to raise her kids and he can't do that to those kids.   It really sucks.

@Jinder Roles

I absolutely agree with what was said above. Don’t worry. I will soon marry my first (and only) serious partner, and that will be the only person I will have had sex with - that’s ok for me, despite that being somewhat less common these days. We’re all different :)  I have friends who got started at 14 and are in relationship #8 or 9. I have other friends (including one of my best friends) who have never been in a relationship. She is absolutely stunning, intelligent, and everything else positive in the world. She just hasn’t met a guy she’s a good match with, and she’s also in a work environment that’s very female, so it’s hard to meet people that way. While she doubts herself, I always tell her (and would also tell you :)) that there something absolutely someone out there, sometimes in the places where you’d least expect it. And there also absolutely no right way to walk through life romantically. Popular culture is often a misleading picture for what “the average person” does. But averages are literally the middle of millions of quite different life stories, so the average   itself doesn’t actually say much at all. I hope I’m making sense :) TLDR: you’re doing great! 

Also, count me in the Sims camp. Absolutely loved it, and still do. 

The second picture along looks like James and Jason helping lead the little boys in faux-Scouts 

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:38 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jer's hair is different from his brothers. It's curlier, thicker, and it's a color that has the very slightest hint of strawberry blonde. I really don't think his hairline will go as fast as the others. 

In recent pictures and in this last season of Counting On, I noticed that Jer's hair seems to be going the way of Joe and Josiah.   He is already losing the front side hair.  He's going to have that front piece (patch)  and then the thinning sides.  

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived