IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 33: In touch with gossip

samurai_sarah

Every picture my mother has ever taken of me past the age of twelve is horrible. I am tall, she is short. I'm talking like a Dorothy and Sophia in the Golden Girls height difference.

Maybe they aren't really bad selfies. Maybe an extra short person is taking their picture. Everyone over the age of 35 is secretly enlisting a shorter person to take their selfie.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

We won't even get into the actual content of the profiles. 

Like, hey, maybe opening with a three paragraph screed about your skank of an ex-wife and how she cheated on you with your cousin and you walked in on them in your bed together and now you are being drained of every penny you earn by your divorce lawyers isn't the best foot forward?**

I don't know, just a tip. 

**I have seen this on more than one profile. 

Yeah, a good general, basic tip is to not write about how frustrated you are with women, how they're all the same, how you've had bad luck/been betrayed, and how you're different, special, and a good guy, and we (women) should be grateful for your decency. I saw this over and over and over again. One guy went on for several paragraphs about how he's different, he doesn't expect sex right away, and he treats women with respect and then literally said, "And you should be grateful to me for this." Hard pass.

I do think there's something to be said for generations and selfie skills, but I would never consider 35 a hard cutoff. My gen X/Y boyfriend is 100x better at taking selfies than I, a millenial, am. But I did come of age during the era of Myspace Angles and duck lips, haha.

Kids these days are so good at selfies though. It sort of blows my mind.

I'm nearly 50 and I thought the selfie comment was funny.

I can take a halfway-decent selfie if it's just me.  Once I try to add more people I usually give up and hand the phone to my daughter (especially if the point is to get both people and the scenery behind us in view).

I don't do selfies. I can't stand looking at myself so the LAST thing I would do is take a selfie. There aren't many pictures of me in existence beyond the obligatory school pictures for precisely that reason. My FB profile pic is my hand on my cat. 

I can't take a decent picture to save my life. To be fair, I've been running from the camera since I was 5 years old because I've always disliked  the way I look. And like many others in my family, I'm severely unphotogenic. I suspect my body type and too round face is the culprit, not to mention some weird hyper-pigmentation/acne (yay me :/) 

But honestly, Snapchat filters from the neck up after about 50 tries is the only way I can get a half-way okay picture. Most of my friends slay their Instagrams. I have one friend that goes to fashion school and her instagram looks like that of a professional model. And while most people use some help to take better pictures  (like Facetune, ring lights, filters), there is a science and practice to taking good selfies. And some people are just naturally really photogenic. 

I'm 22 but  I'm just kind of hopeless when it comes on to pictures/physical appearance. 

I'm 34 1/2 which must be why I can (still) take pretty good selfies. 

However, I'm extremely unphotogenic when other people are taking the photos.

I like the way selfies give me some element of control (although I don't use filters because it feels like cheating). If I didn't have some selfies that looked halfway decent, I'm sure I'd believe myself to be absolutely hideous, based on photos taken by others. I think it's not entirely down to just my perception or pure vanity, as I've had other people laugh at bad photos of me or tell me, unprompted, that my passport doesn't even look like me. 

18 minutes ago, Mavis said:

or tell me, unprompted, that my passport doesn't even look like me. 

My passport photo is a joke. Every single immigration control/TSA agent looks at me, looks at my passport, looks at me, squints at my passport, squints at me, asks me what I've done to my hair, etc... Yeah. It's that bad. lol

It's so bad that I got the triple-whammy security check in Paris in November. At the check-in counter, at immigration, and again at boarding the plane. I'm hopeful my passport will fill up before it expires so I have a good excuse to get a new one. haha

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My passport photo is a joke. Every single immigration control/TSA agent looks at me, looks at my passport, looks at me, squints at my passport, squints at me, asks me what I've done to my hair, etc... Yeah. It's that bad. lol

It's so bad that I got the triple-whammy security check in Paris in November. At the check-in counter, at immigration, and again at boarding the plane. I'm hopeful my passport will fill up before it expires so I have a good excuse to get a new one. haha

One of my childhood passports, the photo was taken before I had braces. By the time I had went somewhere international again I had already had them removed and my hair dyed a lighter color. So many security checks and double takes. omg 

Thanks, whack teeth. 

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I'm hopeful my passport will fill up before it expires so I have a good excuse to get a new one. haha

You just get to put extra pages in if that happens, they don't let you get a new one.  Sorry. 

Not that I'm officially recommending this, but your best bet might be to 'lose' it.  Then you can get a new one. Although if you lose it multiple times I've heard that they start giving you ones that don't last as long. 

19 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I don't do selfies. I can't stand looking at myself so the LAST thing I would do is take a selfie. There aren't many pictures of me in existence beyond the obligatory school pictures for precisely that reason. My FB profile pic is my hand on my cat. 

Are you me?  Right down to the cat profile pic.  ;)  

I'm going to bet it was Anna's suggestion they take the kids to the Children's Museum. She used to take her children to the library story time and I think tries to do educational, age appropriate and fun activities and crafts with her kids. Michelle taught a unit on bankruptcy to 5-16 year olds...

53 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

You just get to put extra pages in if that happens, they don't let you get a new one.  Sorry. 

Not that I'm officially recommending this, but your best bet might be to 'lose' it.  Then you can get a new one. Although if you lose it multiple times I've heard that they start giving you ones that don't last as long. 

Actually - you can request a new passport if your photo is horrible (per the State Department's website). You do have to pay the full fee, though. (Yes, I've looked into this, but I hate flying with a "virgin" passport...) hahaha

My drivers' license photo is so bad that I take it out to make my kids laugh if they are in a bad mood.

44 minutes ago, Markie said:

I'm going to bet it was Anna's suggestion they take the kids to the Children's Museum. She used to take her children to the library story time and I think tries to do educational, age appropriate and fun activities and crafts with her kids. Michelle taught a unit on bankruptcy to 5-16 year olds...

true but I wonder what Michelle did when she had only five kids. did they do fun things like Anna does with the M's. when we saw that Michelle had what 15 kids. by the time Anna gets a few more she'll probably be more like Michelle also. 

7 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

The US government will no longer add pages to passports. You can get a double book but when it’s full you now have to renew it.

I’m still annoyed about this. I had to have pages added multiple times to my last passport. With all of the full and double page tourist visas they issue on this continent I’m going to have to renew my new 52 page passport after two years. 

3 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

more pictures from the children's museum

30739761_1259746147492365_12465546622746

Hide contents

30741893_1259746137492366_46012883324522

I feel like Josie is looking more and more like Joy as she grows up.

For the selfie thing,I hate having my picture taken.I feel like I am not photogenic.I did take one a few months ago,as a joke.You took a selfie,and your selfie was matched with some work of art picture.I couldn't do it with my out-dated phone...lol.So,all I got was the hideous selfie...lol.

As for the ageism,I hate it.I'm 57,but most of the time I feel the same way I did when I was younger.The first time I was called "old" I was 54.Another worker said "Who's that old lady?".Rude,if you ask me.Now that I think about it,I used to go to chatrooms for fun,and once was called "old" at 41.I just laughed.

If you are on Tinder and are ever in the Denver, Colorado, area, I suggest you swipe right on this dapper gentleman...Screenshot_20180312-174150.thumb.png.dd76ebfbaf45533c6b9a11f85d8211df.png

IMG_20180312_180423_940.jpg

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived