IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 9: Garrett David Has Arrived

Jellybean

18 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

working for other people

Working for The Man will never make you rich, until you take over from The Man. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

College is not for everyone. And not completing a college degree doesn’t mean you can’t be successful.  My husband and I both make the same salary. He is an iron worker who took a few classes at a community college and I’m a teacher with a masters degree. Some people are just not academic. My husband can fix a car engine and  install carpet but cringes at the thought of writing an essay. 

As a middle school teacher, I have many students who remind me of my husband. (I teach American History to 7th and 8th graders.) They hate school and are not academic. They would benefit from a vocational program in high school to help them gain skills they can use in the real world. Instead, all my students are being told that they should go to college. I think this is unrealistic. Many of my students end up dropping out of high school, frustrated because it’s too difficult. 

13 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

We had two toddlers and an infant at our’s. I gave the toddlers crayons and coloring books that were themed around their interests. The baby got a stuffed Mickey Mouse toy and I gave his mom full access to the Bridal Suite if she needed a quiet place to feed him, change him, or just relax with him. All three behaved really well and we have some fantastic photos of my little cousin dancing with my brother and an uncle. 

So, anyone out there who is ok with kids at weddings - keep in mind that kids are tiny people and try to prepare ahead of time. 

Israel David Dillard: Derick’s brother is Daniel David Dillard. So Israel gets his middle name from two uncles (Dan Dillard and John Duggar.)

Samuel Scott Dillard: His first name for one of his maternal Uncles (Justin Samuel Duggar) and his middle name is for Sue Scott Dillard, Derick’s paternal grandmother.

As for the rest of the cousins...

- McKynzie Renee Duggar: Her first name was apparently for one of her parents’ cousins. She shares her middle name with her mother, Anna Renee Keller Duggar.

- Michael James Duggar: he shares his first name with his maternal Grandfather (Mike Keller). His first name is also the middle name of Jason Duggar. His middle name is the first name of his paternal grandfather and one of his paternal Uncles. 

- Marcus Anthony Duggar: No family connection I can think of off the top of my head. 

- Meredith Grace Duggar: Her middle name is part of her Aunt’s name (Jordyn-Grace Makiya Duggar.)

- Mason Garrett Duggar: He shares a middle name with his Uncle (Joseph Garrett Duggar.) His middle name was/is also the first name of two other relatives (Garrett Ruark, Michelle’s Dad, and Garrett David Duggar, his newest cousin.)

- Spurgeon Elliot Seewald: No family connection I can think of off the top of my head. 

- Henry Wilberforce Seewald: No family connection I can think of off the top of my head. 

- Gideon Martyn Forsyth: He shares a middle name with his father (Austin Martyn Forsyth.)

Just to add that James is also the middle name of the Turd.

*Mackynzie. They said that Josh had a cousin with the same name and they really liked it but decided to spell it a little differently. Since they tend to pronounce ‘e’ like ‘i’ that would make sense - Mackenzie and Mackynzie would sound the same to them

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I really don't like this idea that all young people should be going to college.  Most people do not go to/finish college, and still manage to have decent lives. College is not for everyone and saying that a young family would be better off hanging out in a dorm just strikes me as pretty classist. 

It is sad that they're so poorly educated, but you can get a reasonably good education without going to college. 

No, college isn't for everyone. Some its trade school or are happy getting a job without going to college. The problem is the Duggar kids aren't allowed any of these options. Had they all had the options and chose not to go to college. That would be fine. Because its their choice.     

22 minutes ago, Jessesgirl said:

College is not for everyone. And not completing a college degree doesn’t mean you can’t be successful.  My husband and I both make the same salary. He is an iron worker who took a few classes at a community college and I’m a teacher with a masters degree. Some people are just not academic. My husband can fix a car engine and  install carpet but cringes at the thought of writing an essay. 

As a middle school teacher, I have many students who remind me of my husband. (I teach American History to 7th and 8th graders.) They hate school and are not academic. They would benefit from a vocational program in high school to help them gain skills they can use in the real world. Instead, all my students are being told that they should go to college. I think this is unrealistic. Many of my students end up dropping out of high school, frustrated because it’s too difficult. 

In Finland, you can choose between doing upper secondary (high school equivalent), vocational school or a combo of the both (which takes 4 years instead of the regular 3 that vocational and upper secondary take). I just think it's a brilliant system. In vocational school kids still have mandatory lessons in languages, maths and such, but it's much less than in upper secondary which has a clear academic emphasis. My sister who loves writing essays and such chose vocational school though as she wanted to get into media, and her degree they learnt about video editing, building websites, photography... She almost went into hairdressing, but loved media more. Some folk from there do continue up to higher education, but then again, it's free for us.

My friend is a practical nurse (vocational level) and she makes 2500-3000 euros a month. That's more than I'll make with my line of work after I graduate, the starter pay is around 2100€/mo. And I know guys and gals that have become car mechanics that make a good living running their own business or working for a small company.

12 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

*Mackynzie. They said that Josh had a cousin with the same name and they really liked it but decided to spell it a little differently. Since they tend to pronounce ‘e’ like ‘i’ that would make sense - Mackenzie and Mackynzie would sound the same to them

... I swear I know how to spell her name correctly... :pb_lol:

23 minutes ago, DutchGirl said:

Just to add that James is also the middle name of the Turd.

Yeah, but I like to pretend he doesn’t exist and Anna just magically becomes pregnant somehow. :pb_lol:

Other topics:

- I have one first cousin on my dad’s side and none on my mom’s. We all live in the same state within 40 minutes of each other, but my siblings and I rarely see our cousin. She’s a nice person and we love her, but we just aren’t close.

- College conversation: You can make a good living no matter what educational level you have, but it’s easier to do so if you have some level of higher education - whether that’s technical school, community college, a 4 year university program, etc. My FIL only has a High School diploma and he has done very well in his career, but he’s the first to admit that he is the exception not the rule. 

That said, my mom has bitterly complained recently that Universities are just big businesses now and all they care about is money. I tend to agree with her. If a teenager isn’t sure what they want to pursue in college then they shouldn’t be pushed towards it right out of High School like I was. They should be offered other options that allow them time to figure out if college is right for them - like doing a year at a community college while working part-time or enlisting in the military or something. 

When I was finishing high school (20 years ago) I didn't know what I wanted to major in at college. I'm from an area where college was expected. I wish I could talk to my 17 year old self and say "stay local don't go away to school". 

42 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

No, college isn't for everyone. Some its trade school or are happy getting a job without going to college. The problem is the Duggar kids aren't allowed any of these options. Had they all had the options and chose not to go to college. That would be fine. Because its their choice.     

So much this. They were never given an option. 

8 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

When I was finishing high school (20 years ago) I didn't know what I wanted to major in at college. I'm from an area where college was expected. I wish I could talk to my 17 year old self and say "stay local don't go away to school". 

So much this. They were never given an option. 

I did stay local and graduated with a pretty modest amount of student loans (between 20,000 and 25,000 - I paid those off a few months before we got married.) I still wish I had been given more time to figure things out though. I majored in English with a minor in Journalism because it was the only thing I felt I was good at. If I had been given some extra time I may have opted to go into Nursing instead. That’s not happening now though since we need to prioritize other things, like saving for our daughter’s education (whatever she ends up choosing to do will require money), moving to a single family home, and hopefully adding another tiny tyrant to the family. 

(And if anyone has any clue how I can use my writing skills as a SAHM that doesn’t include selling my child's privacy and childhood via blogging, hit me up! :pb_lol:)

Going away to a four year state school can often be too expensive for even solidly middle class families. So one option that I wish more middle class families would look into is going the first two years to a nearby community college in order to fulfill your core classes at a fraction of the cost and then transfer to a state college for the last two years. Your overall amount of loans will be much smaller and less overwhelming to pay off when you graduate. Plus if you find you do not want to finish college, you are out less money after a year of classes. 

13 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Never fails. I stop watching fj topics, and somebody gets married, courts or gives birth.

With Garrett being so common in this family, and the trend of using family names being popular with second gen Duggars, I really hope Spurgeon or Wilberforce don't get reused.

I wonder if Joken will have all G named children? As much as alliterative naming is cheesy, it makes the guessing process more fun. Come to think of it, maybe Joystin will do a G theme.

I'm guessing the Siren wedding will be tomorrow.

My parents-in-law both have G names, so they gave both kids G names. SiL's is not a good one. Apparently, they could only think of two girl names starting with G and the notion of acquiring a baby name book did not occur to them. She hates her name and I don't blame her. Mr. 05's is not bad at all, though. 

Garrett was my boy name forever and would have satisfied their G thing as well. But we never had kids. 

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Going away to a four year state school can often be too expensive for even solidly middle class families. So one option that I wish more middle class families would look into is going the first two years to a nearby community college in order to fulfill your core classes at a fraction of the cost and then transfer to a state college for the last two years. Your overall amount of loans will be much smaller and less overwhelming to pay off when you graduate. Plus if you find you do not want to finish college, you are out less money after a year of classes. 

My cousin's kids both did this. It is not always a great idea. Their oldest majored in meteorology. Because of courses requiring intensive labs and a very specific sequence, he ended up doing four years at a university in addition to two years at community college for a total of six years of post-secondary education to get only a bachelor's degree. 

His sister decided to go into teaching. Field experiences have a very specific sequence and cannot be collapsed into two years for a traditional education student. So she will be beginning her fourth year at a university in the fall, after two years of community college. Both have said that one year or a summer plus two quarters (so just over half of a year) at community college would have knocked off a lot of core requirements at a lower cost but two full years was a huge mistake for the fields they chose. And both already knew what they wanted to pursue coming out of high school. 

7 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

My parents-in-law both have G names, so they gave both kids G names. SiL's is not a good one. Apparently, they could only think of two girl names starting with G and the notion of acquiring a baby name book did not occur to them. She hates her name and I don't blame her. Mr. 05's is not bad at all, though. 

Garrett was my boy name forever and would have satisfied their G thing as well. But we never had kids. 

My cousin's kids both did this. It is not always a great idea. Their oldest majored in meteorology. Because of courses requiring intensive labs and a very specific sequence, he ended up doing four years at a university in addition to two years at community college for a total of six years of post-secondary education to get only a bachelor's degree. 

His sister decided to go into teaching. Field experiences have a very specific sequence and cannot be collapsed into two years for a traditional education student. So she will be beginning her fourth year at a university in the fall, after two years of community college. Both have said that one year or a summer plus two quarters (so just over half of a year) at community college would have knocked off a lot of core requirements at a lower cost but two full years was a huge mistake for the fields they chose. And both already knew what they wanted to pursue coming out of high school. 

You definitely have to look into how well the classes will transfer. A community college in my city has a great record of transferring credits well to other schools in the city. It’s why you have to do your research. Thankfully the internet is full of information on this topic so you can easily compare cost and rates of classes transferring to 4 year colleges you are interested in. 20 years ago people weren’t aware of all their options when it came to higher education. Now with internet access being fairly easy to come by, people should be able to know and understand their options. 

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That's kinda a thing over there in the U.S., most people I know stayed local... Not me though, but I managed to get a full scholarship with my bachelor's.

Now, here where I live public education is completely free but I still have to buy lots of books and supplies. I work part-time a very good job at a medical regulatory affairs firm and I make good money but I'm still kinda broke:pb_lol:... College is expensive and a sacrifice (worth it), that's why only people who takes it seriously should go.

Technical and trades schools are a fantastic option too, I'm just a big believer on people getting an education in any way possible. 

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You definitely have to look into how well the classes will transfer. A community college in my city has a great record of transferring credits well to other schools in the city. It’s why you have to do your research. Thankfully the internet is full of information on this topic so you can easily compare cost and rates of classes transferring to 4 year colleges you are interested in. 20 years ago people weren’t aware of all their options when it came to higher education. Now with internet access being fairly easy to come by, people should be able to know and understand their options. 

The problem for both was not that their coursework did not transfer. It was that a traditional ed student cannot do observation practicums and methods practicums in the same semester. And a high level science student cannot get the lab courses necessary at a community college. And he could not take say atmospheric science 1 and 2 at the same time once he got the the university. They both went to a state community college then on to a state university--the system guarantees transfer credits between community colleges and state universities or colleges.  But the sequence of coursework for their majors did not allow them to complete their majors in the shorter time frame of two years. So it is not only about transferring credits, it is about if the major the student intends can be collapsed into two years on the university/4 year college campus. Some cannot. Both could have knocked off some basic credits at community college in a year or less and shortened the time they needed at a four year campus, but doing a full two years did not work for their choices of majors. 

4 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Somehow Kendra looks younger than normally. She looks really happy and healthy, like they just transported the baby out of her, not like she was in labor and delivered him. Joe actually looks more tired than the new mom. 

I like the way they stay somewhat out of social media. No IG account or FB, and it was actually the Duggar family who announced the birth of Garrett. Keep living a private life, kiddos!!

actually that last part isn't true. US Magazine got the exclusive scoop on the newest Duggar being born. it wasn't until after that article was posted that the Duggar family posted. 

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/joseph-duggar-and-kendra-duggar-welcome-first-child-photo/

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I personally think the more well off fundies who send their kids to places like PCC and Crown are setting a high bar for most fundies with huge families who can’t make ends meet. 

If Gil and Kelly had never obtained their TV shows, would they have been able to offer to pay for one year of Crown for every single child? Hell no! I get the impression that fundies think it’s either a bible college like Crown or PCC or nothing. I imagine for most fundies it’s nothing. When in reality, their parents could have possibly been able to afford a local community college but didn’t even consider it because it’s too liberal and Worldly. 

Even without the show I think Gil and Kelly would have pushed Crown because they themselves went on to College. it would just have been the kids borrowing the money from Lawson the way Erin did. 

30 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

The problem for both was not that their coursework did not transfer. It was that a traditional ed student cannot do observation practicums and methods practicums in the same semester. And a high level science student cannot get the lab courses necessary at a community college. And he could not take say atmospheric science 1 and 2 at the same time once he got the the university. They both went to a state community college then on to a state university--the system guarantees transfer credits between community colleges and state universities or colleges.  But the sequence of coursework for their majors did not allow them to complete their majors in the shorter time frame of two years. So it is not only about transferring credits, it is about if the major the student intends can be collapsed into two years on the university/4 year college campus. Some cannot. Both could have knocked off some basic credits at community college in a year or less and shortened the time they needed at a four year campus, but doing a full two years did not work for their choices of majors. 

It’s too bad no one told them that. You would think that if they had it all mapped out someone would have told them at some point. 

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

We had two toddlers and an infant at our’s. I gave the toddlers crayons and coloring books that were themed around their interests. The baby got a stuffed Mickey Mouse toy and I gave his mom full access to the Bridal Suite if she needed a quiet place to feed him, change him, or just relax with him. All three behaved really well and we have some fantastic photos of my little cousin dancing with my brother and an uncle. 

So, anyone out there who is ok with kids at weddings - keep in mind that kids are tiny people and try to prepare ahead of time. 

Israel David Dillard: Derick’s brother is Daniel David Dillard. So Israel gets his middle name from two uncles (Dan Dillard and John Duggar.)

Samuel Scott Dillard: His first name for one of his maternal Uncles (Justin Samuel Duggar) and his middle name is for Sue Scott Dillard, Derick’s paternal grandmother.

As for the rest of the cousins...

- McKynzie Renee Duggar: Her first name was apparently for one of her parents’ cousins. She shares her middle name with her mother, Anna Renee Keller Duggar.

- Michael James Duggar: he shares his first name with his maternal Grandfather (Mike Keller). His first name is also the middle name of Jason Duggar. His middle name is the first name of his paternal grandfather and one of his paternal Uncles. 

- Marcus Anthony Duggar: No family connection I can think of off the top of my head. 

- Meredith Grace Duggar: Her middle name is part of her Aunt’s name (Jordyn-Grace Makiya Duggar.)

- Mason Garrett Duggar: He shares a middle name with his Uncle (Joseph Garrett Duggar.) His middle name was/is also the first name of two other relatives (Garrett Ruark, Michelle’s Dad, and Garrett David Duggar, his newest cousin.)

- Spurgeon Elliot Seewald: No family connection I can think of off the top of my head. 

- Henry Wilberforce Seewald: No family connection I can think of off the top of my head. 

- Gideon Martyn Forsyth: He shares a middle name with his father (Austin Martyn Forsyth.)

I was going through Cathy's feed because we are discussing her husband over on the Dillard thread and here is a picture of her three favorite david's her brother her son and Izzy. 

Oh, so David could have been a shout-out to Dan as well (for Jill and Derick, I mean - I doubt Joe and Kendra named their kid after Dan Dillard, haha).

David is also a major character in the Old Testament, and one fundies seem to greatly admire (probably because he does all kinds of shady and fucked up stuff and is still God's favourite).

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s too bad no one told them that. You would think that if they had it all mapped out someone would have told them at some point. 

There are extenuating circumstances involving a mother who cannot let them go. And I don't think either of them as high school seniors understood enough to do that research themselves. And that's a little bit on high school counselors and the parents. 

Nevertheless, the academic transfer option is good for some kids and not so much for others. As a high school teacher of many, many years, I think it is a very good option for students who don't have any idea what they want to major in or pursue. A taste of core coursework can help them decide without spending a ton of money. 

8 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

And I don't think either of them as high school seniors understood enough to do that research themselves. And that's a little bit on high school counselors and the parents

That’s what I meant. You would think someone would have said something to them in those two years. 

Sometimes too taking community college courses in high school can mean that you no longer qualify for some scholarships to 4-year colleges because you would be considered a transfer student, not a new freshman.

It's just important to plan these things out, but it's a shame it can be so complicated sometimes.

The university system here is so different to the US one. We have GCSEs at 16 and A-Levels/IB at 18, and the grades we get affect what university we get into, so when it comes to choosing what subjects we do it’s important to consider the ones you’re good at.

I know it may sound unbelievable to some, but I didn’t study any history beyond the age of 14, as I was no good at the exams and would’ve found the GCSE difficult to get a good grade in. And with A-Levels, it’s a similar story; by the end of secondary I was only studying French, German and Philosophy/Ethics, because they were my best subjects by far and my university admission depended on the grades I got. I did do a year of biology, but my brain is just not scientifically wired and I got a terrible grade in the AS exam (half a full A-Level) so I was able to drop it and focus on the subjects I was good at. If I’d been doing the IB, and having to do it for two years (as well as English and math), I would’ve hated it, and not achieved a good grade and possibly not have gotten into the university I wanted to. You need good grades in high school in the US, sure, but those grades don’t determine what college you go to as far as I know. 

You also choose your degree subject immediately, no year or two of taking a mixture of classes. Again, I would’ve done badly in that system: my degree is in my two best subjects, French and German. Degrees are three years, unless you do languages and spend the third year abroad, or your degree has an integrated Masters. Medicine, dentistry and vet science are five years, unless you’re at Oxford or Cambridge, when medicine lasts six years (neither offer dentistry, and only Cambridge offers a vet degree). 

On the subject of fees, it’s poor students who are screwed over the most. Everyone is entitled to a tuition fee loan. “Maintenance grants” are only available to those where the total household income is lower than a specified amount; the lower the income, the higher the loan. The result, therefore, is that the poorest students have the biggest debts upon graduation. I did not qualify for a maintenance grant, and my student debt is “only” £27,000. Students from poorer families can have debts of around £50,000. It’s fucking crazy. Even though you only start paying off the debt if you’re earning over £21,000, and the whole lot gets wiped after 30 years, it’s a crazy system. 

Phew, apologies for the essay. I find different countries’ education systems so interesting. There’s no one-size-fits-all. 

Ok, that’s fine. Let’s just all not encourage college for our youth and instead, encourage teenage marriage and celebrate teen pregnancy! 

IF I gave birth as a teenager, I’d want better for our youth instead of encouraging others to do it my way. I wouldn’t be poo-pooing others who simply want better for today’s teens.

Why do we teach kids about safe sex? TO prevent STIs and teen pregnancy. Is teen pregnancy something we should glorify? No, it is something to prevent. You are more likely to live a life of poverty and struggle as a teen parent. Teen parents are not something we should be celebrating here. Can you honestly tell me you would want your daughter to be a teen mother since “I popped out a kid in my teens too”? Really??? Let’s selflessly want better for today’s youth.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

And if anyone has any clue how I can use my writing skills as a SAHM that doesn’t include selling my child's privacy and childhood via blogging, hit me up

My sister worked as a reporter and in PR before she had kids, then stayed home after they were born. She picked up random assignments, she started out by offering to write PR for local nonprofits and charities. She picked up paying gigs once she got the exposure.

Resume and cover letter writing are also in high demand.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived