IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 9: Garrett David Has Arrived

Jellybean

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have six first cousins. Four of them are on FB. One of those I've blocked because he's a racist, homophobic asshole. I've only spoken to one of these cousins in the past three years. The last time I saw more than one of them at a time was my mom's funeral. The last time I saw all 6 at once was 20 years ago at my grandfather's funeral. We were all pretty close growing up (except the youngest - he was an "oops" and much younger than the rest of us) because we were all born about a year apart.

Here's a handy chart to determine cousin "ranks" if you are curious:

http://www.cousincountry.com/home/180004334/180004334/Cousin Chart Snippet 2.jpg

Somehow Kendra looks younger than normally. She looks really happy and healthy, like they just transported the baby out of her, not like she was in labor and delivered him. Joe actually looks more tired than the new mom. 

I like the way they stay somewhat out of social media. No IG account or FB, and it was actually the Duggar family who announced the birth of Garrett. Keep living a private life, kiddos!!

I only have 2 first cousins. My mother was an only child. I have had so many issues with both of them, that I think if I had more I'd go nuts.  However, if I had a wonderful relationship with them I could want more. 

The picture made me sad.  They should be running around the University of Ark campus sneaking into each other’s rooms, pledging a frat/sorority and, oh yea, going to class.  The on;y reason they should be up all night is cramming for exams or partying not feeding a baby.  

Just pitiful their parents don’t think they can accomplish more in their lives.

I really don't like this idea that all young people should be going to college.  Most people do not go to/finish college, and still manage to have decent lives. College is not for everyone and saying that a young family would be better off hanging out in a dorm just strikes me as pretty classist. 

It is sad that they're so poorly educated, but you can get a reasonably good education without going to college. 

I have no cousins on my dad's side, but on my mom's I have 17. They range in age from 38 to 2 1/2. I think my grandmother is disappointed there aren't more, given that she had 9 kids herself. But none of her children felt having that big of a family was a good thing, so none had more than 3 kids, and two had only children. 

Among my cousins, so far there are 20 great-grandchildren, with two more on the way. And only have of my cousins have children so far, and I'm not sure if all of them are done having kids. There could easily end up being 50 in that generation, though probably not for several decades. 

4 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I really don't like this idea that all young people should be going to college. 

You need to post this in all-caps and in XL font size.

I work in the A/E/C industry and so many of our projects are delayed because the contractors can't find hammer-swingers/drywallers/tape+mudders/electricians/plumbers. It's insane. We had the issue here at our house a few months back where we needed a plumber to clear our main sewer line. We had to wait THREE DAYS due to lack of people to do the job. His rate? $400/hour. Yes, I know not all of that went into his pocket, but that's still damn-good money - for doing a job I couldn't (and wouldn't want to) do.

If some of these kids whose parents force them to go to college (and come out with 6-figure debt) would let them apprentice, they'd be making a very comfortable salary within two years. /soapbox

4 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I really don't like this idea that all young people should be going to college.  Most people do not go to/finish college, and still manage to have decent lives. College is not for everyone and saying that a young family would be better off hanging out in a dorm just strikes me as pretty classist. 

It is sad that they're so poorly educated, but you can get a reasonably good education without going to college. 

Many of my friends went a nearby community college and a technical college. There are lots of different price ranges for college. They still enjoyed college even though they were living at home to save money and didn’t have the dorm experience. I know most people think of just one type of college when they hear “college.” But there are college opportunities to more than just the middle and upper classes. 

I went to college. I didn't graduate. Part of me wishes I had gone to a local school and taken a few courses instead of going away and taken a full load. 

I admit my soap box is when people assume college is always insanely expensive when it doesn’t always have to be. 

Except the Duggars don't even approve trade schools, the problem with these cults is the lack of EDUCATION, whether is a trade or college education is another topic.

I'm 100% on board with the notion of "not everyone is cut out for college" but EVERYONE should be furthering their education and getting a damn job. Kendra is 19, she SHOULD be exploring her options, getting a degree or going to beauty school, culinary school, going into real state or working at a local shop, moving out... Not popping out babies in a cult. Same for Joe.

4 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Except the Duggars don't even approve trade schools, the problem with these cults is the lack of EDUCATION, whether is a trade or college education is another topic.

I'm 100% on board with the notion of "not everyone is cut out for college" but EVERYONE should be furthering their education and getting a damn job. Kendra is 19, she SHOULD be exploring her options, getting a degree or going to beauty school, culinary school, going into real state or working at a local shop, moving out... Not popping out babies in a cult. Same for Joe.

At least the Bateses let Michael go to a community college. I wish the Duggars would allow that. Even just letting Jana taking a horticulture class would be benificial since she seems to enjoy gardening. 

I had my first child just shy of 18. I am married to my high school sweetheart. We opted not to go to college and we make more per year than many of our friends who did go to college. We also live in a house that was built in 2017. You CAN find a great career and make a damn good living without going to college, college is not the be all, end all. 

Just a little PSA for anyone who is reading some of these comments and feeling badly about themselves for choosing not to go to college.

51 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

It is nit whether they go or not - they have had NO opportunities to pursue their passions except for SEX.

3 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

I had my first child just shy of 18. I am married to my high school sweetheart. We opted not to go to college and we make more per year than many of our friends who did go to college. We also live in a house that was built in 2017. You CAN find a great career and make a damn good living without going to college, college is not the be all, end all. 

Just a little PSA for anyone who is reading some of these comments and feeling badly about themselves for choosing not to go to college.

But that’s not the norm. You have to recognize that right? I come from a small midwestern town where people who grew up working class and lower class were able to make a better life for themselves because of education. And I’m not talking 4 year colleges. I’m talking going to a vocational school in high school instead of the regular high school. So when they graduated from high school, they had skills that could get them a decent job. I’ve also had quite a few friends go to the local community college for nursing. They have a two year degree that was not ridiculously expensive and they can live well on a nurse’s pay. Those who did not go to vocational school, technical school, trade school, a community college or a four year college are not all just fine. And many have had to take classes well into adulthood to achieve higher paying jobs. 

Everyone, men and women, should aim be self-reliant (within reason, obviously). I wish the Duggars would learn a trade, both the men and women. 

(Edit: Just wanted to add "of all genders" as to not exclude nonbinary people)

I believe the anti college rhetoric that seems to be so prevalent these days can deter a person from looking into any higher education. When really a community college could have benefited the person greatly. They may just assume it’s too expensive or they can find a job without any skills because their father did. 

I have 45 first cousins! My mom is one of 5 and my dad is one of seven. Everyone procreated! Haha However, I didnt get to grow up with them as they all grew up in Ireland and I was born and raised in NYC. When I was a kid I used to wish I had more family in NY. But my sis and I would write letters back and forth to some of them when we were kids. And some of my cousins ended up moving to Ny when they were adults and I struck up friendships with them. One cousin and I have kids the same age and we do play dates together sometimes. We are close now but it would have been nice to have grown up together. 

I personally think the more well off fundies who send their kids to places like PCC and Crown are setting a high bar for most fundies with huge families who can’t make ends meet. 

If Gil and Kelly had never obtained their TV shows, would they have been able to offer to pay for one year of Crown for every single child? Hell no! I get the impression that fundies think it’s either a bible college like Crown or PCC or nothing. I imagine for most fundies it’s nothing. When in reality, their parents could have possibly been able to afford a local community college but didn’t even consider it because it’s too liberal and Worldly. 

1 hour ago, HermioneSparrow said:

They also don't believe in working for other people, so not only do they have no education, they have low income potential as they have to stick to like minded circles. 

4 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

They also don't believe in working for other people, so not only do they have no education, they have low income potential as they have to stick to like minded circles. 

Which is so hilariously bullshit since they’ve worked for TLC for years. I’m sure they don’t think of it that way though. 

I wish Kendra wasn’t so young and that they both weren’t so forcefully sheltered, but I think they’re pretty happy and I’m happy for them right now.  Give them time, and another baby or two where Kendra isn’t the sister mom but the full time mom and I could see them quietly slow down the baby train. 

9 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

My wedding was pretty non-trad... I knew there would be littles at the reception, and they all got a "busy bag" of goodies to keep them from becoming screaming meanies.  It worked.

None of them were THAT entertaining, but your story of the kid with the shoe in the basket is pretty adorable.

Let's start the PB/kids at weddings feud.  JK!

We had two toddlers and an infant at our’s. I gave the toddlers crayons and coloring books that were themed around their interests. The baby got a stuffed Mickey Mouse toy and I gave his mom full access to the Bridal Suite if she needed a quiet place to feed him, change him, or just relax with him. All three behaved really well and we have some fantastic photos of my little cousin dancing with my brother and an uncle. 

So, anyone out there who is ok with kids at weddings - keep in mind that kids are tiny people and try to prepare ahead of time. 

7 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I don't think it was a Duggar family name just something Jim Bob and Michelle liked. as for Jill and Derick i think Derick may have had an uncle named David. 

Israel David Dillard: Derick’s brother is Daniel David Dillard. So Israel gets his middle name from two uncles (Dan Dillard and John Duggar.)

Samuel Scott Dillard: His first name for one of his maternal Uncles (Justin Samuel Duggar) and his middle name is for Sue Scott Dillard, Derick’s paternal grandmother.

As for the rest of the cousins...

- McKynzie Renee Duggar: Her first name was apparently for one of her parents’ cousins. She shares her middle name with her mother, Anna Renee Keller Duggar.

- Michael James Duggar: he shares his first name with his maternal Grandfather (Mike Keller). His first name is also the middle name of Jason Duggar. His middle name is the first name of his paternal grandfather and one of his paternal Uncles. 

- Marcus Anthony Duggar: No family connection I can think of off the top of my head. 

- Meredith Grace Duggar: Her middle name is part of her Aunt’s name (Jordyn-Grace Makiya Duggar.)

- Mason Garrett Duggar: He shares a middle name with his Uncle (Joseph Garrett Duggar.) His middle name was/is also the first name of two other relatives (Garrett Ruark, Michelle’s Dad, and Garrett David Duggar, his newest cousin.)

- Spurgeon Elliot Seewald: No family connection I can think of off the top of my head. 

- Henry Wilberforce Seewald: No family connection I can think of off the top of my head. 

- Gideon Martyn Forsyth: He shares a middle name with his father (Austin Martyn Forsyth.)

47 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

Did you get a decent basic education, graduate from HS and did/do you work for a living? If the answer is yes, you're not in the Duggars' league.

I am anti uneducated, lazy and entitled.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived