IGNORED

Maxwell 19: Life is Still Boring

Coconut Flan

2 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Given this, do you think he's still preventing marriage? Or do you think he might be subconsciously preventing marriage for all the reasons you listed above, while publicly considering suitors? It's a dilemma.

Or is it their lifestyle that is preventing marriage?

It seems like there such a small amount of eligible fundie men out there.  And the females have to sit and wait for one of them to take notice of them.  Most of the time their doing this waiting at home.  If somehow an eligible guy does take notice of them he has to go through whatever courtship hoops the father has set up.  In Steve's case I imagine he wouldn't give his blessing unless the guy could buy a house debt free.  That shrinks the pool of eligible men even further.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, catlady said:

i'm currently hooked on Penzey's Spices, and i buy a lot of the little jars, so they tend to run out fairly quickly.  i prefer the little ones because they don't go stale on me.

I love Penzey's (and I especially like that Bill Penzey is not shy about speaking out on things that are important to him). I've discovered a lot of interesting blends from his free offerings. (Sunny Paris, mmmm!)

I buy the 4 oz bags to refill my small jars and to share with the adult offspring. With three of us cooks nothing has a chance to go stale.

Quote from the blog:  "After a run with Nathan Friday, Mary and I joined them"

Who, Sarah, is Nathan Friday, and how do you Maxwells know the Friday Family?  

P.S.  i am eating cheese, drinking wine, reading FJ, and talking to my dog right now.  Do i qualify for some kind of multitasking award?  (my only regret is that none of the cats are involved too, but they don't care.)

Why would some fundie guy who owns a house and financially secure want to marry any of the Maxwell girls?  

While Sarah is pretty, they present rather backwards and plain.  None have any sort of career or show any ambition (Meredith).  They are not famous (Jana).  They aren’t out in the public doing anything (Bible Bee/Singing/Journey).  They don’t have a church with an active youth group (Dillards/Botrangers).  They don’t attend College (Crown).  And to top it off they appear to be crappy cooks.  

So, please explain why any fundie guy who owns a house, financially successful and level headed want to join the Maxwell clan and marry one of the sprinters?

This is what I do about onions:  Purchase, remove ends and skin, dice, put into a food storage container in the fridge, then use as needed until gone.  Then back to step 1.  They seem to keep for a long time in my very cold fridge.  If I were to find myself repeatedly dealing with onions past their prime I'd dice up less of them.  Live and learn, Maxwells.

Even after spending the last three plus years reading FJ, I find it difficult to believe that Steve is deliberately keeping his daughters at home, for whatever reason.  Does he not love his daughters?  Does he love them too much to let them go?  Does he love or value his sons more?  It is nonsensical that a man wouldn’t want his daughters to be fulfilled and happy. Instead of writing the most incredibly boring blog entries, Sarah, tell us how you feel about your life. That would actually be interesting. 

52 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Given this, do you think he's still preventing marriage? Or do you think he might be subconsciously preventing marriage for all the reasons you listed above, while publicly considering suitors? It's a dilemma.

Of course, this is only my opinion; but I think he is deliberately preventing marriage while publicly lamenting "God has not sent the right man yet."  

They spent all those years traveling for their conferences. Their circle of acquaintances is quite large from that. A courtship could have easily begun with a young man from any of these families, in my opinion. In fact, I think many families would have loved to have their sons associated with the Maxwell name during the height of their conferences. 

As far as it being his duty to marry off his daughters; I agree. This is what makes him a huge hypocrite, in my book. He has not raised his daughters to become what they were destined to become, according to his own belief and teachings. He has not only failed miserably but has actually refused to allow his daughters to do what God commands; again, according to his own belief system. 

I have always found it disgusting that he expects other fathers to send their daughters off to live on his compound in another state; but he clearly has not intention of letting hos daughters do the same. I ak also disgusted at the fathers who sent their daughters into that cult that is the Maxwell family. 

Finally, I have always believed that Steve hates the world more than he loves his children. His daughters are getting the worst of his distorted thinking. 

3 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Seriously, do Anna and Mary do anything other than clean and look after their brothers' kids?!?

No

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

Of course, this is only my opinion; but I think he is deliberately preventing marriage while publicly lamenting "God has not sent the right man yet."  

They spent all those years traveling for their conferences. Their circle of acquaintances is quite large from that. A courtship could have easily begun with a young man from any of these families, in my opinion. In fact, I think many families would have loved to have their sons associated with the Maxwell name during the height of their conferences. 

As far as it being his duty to marry off his daughters; I agree. This is what makes him a huge hypocrite, in my book. He has not raised his daughters to become what they were destined to become, according to his own belief and teachings. He has not only failed miserably but has actually refused to allow his daughters to do what God commands; again, according to his own belief system. 

I have always found it disgusting that he expects other fathers to send their daughters off to live on his compound in another state; but he clearly has not intention of letting hos daughters do the same. I ak also disgusted at the fathers who sent their daughters into that cult that is the Maxwell family. 

Finally, I have always believed that Steve hates the world more than he loves his children. His daughters are getting the worst of his distorted thinking. 

it's an interesting and believable theory to me especially reading the way Sarah's bio on the website reads. she'd love to be a wife and mother but she's waiting on the lord for the right guy. 

I hereby declare that Nathan shall be henceforth and forevermore known as Nathan Friday.  :my_biggrin:

My personal (most likely unpopular theory) is that the girls haven't attracted suitors because they're just plain odd. Even in fundie terms, their baby voices and extreme naivety is off-putting, and they seem to have relatively few interests outside of cooking and taking care of their brother's children. Even a man looking for a traditional wife wants someone with hobbies and personality.  

5 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Seriously, do Anna and Mary do anything other than clean and look after their brothers' kids?!?

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

No

Yes, they read the Bible. ;) 

32 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

My personal (most likely unpopular theory) is that the girls haven't attracted suitors because they're just plain odd. Even in fundie terms, their baby voices and extreme naivety is off-putting, and they seem to have relatively few interests outside of cooking and taking care of their brother's children. Even a man looking for a traditional wife wants someone with hobbies and personality.  

don't they also hike. it seems they talk about hiking a lot on their blog. anyway I guess they need to find someone like David Waller to marry them. Priscilla didn't have anything to recommend her well besides being in laws with a Duggar I guess. 

I still don’t know if Steve will get one daughter married, just to prove our doubts wrong. I just wonder whether it’ll be Anna or Mary. Because it sure as hell won’t be Sarah.

I’ve noticed that Americans often tend to drop words like “on” and “at” etc, I’ve read so many sentences like “I went to the mall Saturday” (ok, maybe it’s mostly days of the week). Every time I say to myself “you went to the mall ON Saturday!”

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I’ve noticed that Americans often tend to drop words like “on” and “at” etc, I’ve read so many sentences like “I went to the mall Saturday” (ok, maybe it’s mostly days of the week). Every time I say to myself “you went to the mall ON Saturday!”

I’ve noticed that, too. But while speaking, one’s tone or inflection can make up for dropped prepositions and still convey the meaning (mostly) accurately. That doesn’t necessarily make it right, but people in general tend to do that when speaking casually. 

Writing is another matter, as exemplified here by FJers frequently talking about the Sarcasm Font.  Without tone, Sarah’s blogs and captions often appear incoherent.  I admit I give Sarah and Steve a hard time about grammar; for a family whose livelihood involves so many (self-) published books, Sarah’s skills are crap. Steve and Teri failed her as teachers, and they haven’t encouraged her to grow as a writer. That’s a major fail on your part, Stevie.  

I think at least one of the Maxwell girls/women will marry.  Most likely it will be the youngest and arguably most attractive.  It looks terrible for the brand for all of them to remain unmarried and how could Stevehovah resist being able to totally control and sermonize at a wedding/dirge.  They could hold the ceremony out to be the approved solution for a Christian wedding and shill accordingly.  I see dollar signs for some scheduling or planning tie-ins.    "Managers of the Wedding" with of course ensuring that your photographer is equally as holy, i.e. a Maxwell.  

13 hours ago, catlady said:

P.S.  i am eating cheese, drinking wine, reading FJ, and talking to my dog right now.  Do i qualify for some kind of multitasking award?  (my only regret is that none of the cats are involved too, but they don't care.)

I think if all of started listing our multitasking examples they would go far beyond anything Terri has done.

For instance, this morning I plucked my eyebrows and did my makeup while I breastfed my child on my lap. Last night I folded laundry while watching TV (ebil!). On a previous day I brushed my teeth while taking a dump. Now THAT is multitasking!

I sometimes wonder if Steve has made the girls so frightened of anything non-Maxwellian that they are now the ones who don't want to leave Steve's umbrella.

Yesterday I drank a Bailey's shake while playing a Facebook game and letting my toenail polish dry. That's still more multi-tasking than cooking on more than one burner is. 

Regarding multitasking.  Geeze Terri, it isn't that complicated.  I've managed to do multiple major projects in the house at the same time AND managed to cook a full meal or two in the meantime. 

I laugh when I see them make such a huge deal out of nothing.

As for Anna, walking the kids as her "schedule allows" give me a freaking break.   They act like their lives are SUPER BUSY.  I guess all that Bible time leaves only so much time to dust ceiling fans.

I don't think the Maxwell daughters are really any weirder than your average fundie girl. Weirder than the Duggars or the Bateses or their Instagram-ready friends? Definitely. But most fundies aren't like that. They're weird and awkward and have the same hobbies (or lack thereof) as the Maxwells. And the Maxwell daughters are pretty, healthy young women. I'm sure plenty of men have been interested in them. I don't see any reason why they couldn't get married (including Sarah - I know I've said this before, but we've seen other fundie women get married in their mid-late 30s and older), unless they and/or Steve reject all of their suitors. And if Steve is the one doing the rejecting, I hope he realizes how bad this makes him look. To have all* your sons married off, and none of your daughters? Those precious eggs that could be turning into arrows for Christ just being wasted? Major fundie fail, Steve!

*I know Jesse isn't married yet, but give it like two years, tops, and I'm sure he'll have his very own debt-free house down the street and around the corner with his very own Chelissa.

It is indeed glaringly apparent that the Maxwell's switch to mostly A Beka textbooks happened AFTER Sarah was nearly done with school.  I am not an A Beka fan, but their grammar books are known in the homeschooling world as being really rigorous and very good; a lot of non-fundies use them.  

Sarah can't coherently write her way out of a wet paper bag.  

1 hour ago, Bajovane said:

As for Anna, walking the kids as her "schedule allows" give me a freaking break.   They act like their lives are SUPER BUSY.  I guess all that Bible time leaves only so much time to dust ceiling fans.

Right? Especially considering the fact that they get up at stupid a.m. in order to HAVE all that extra time.  To do what? Sit in the living room and say, "My, how clean it is in here.  Let's have a prayer thanking the Lord."

14 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I agree with you.  Even PP expects his wife to run all aspects of the household without bothering him about it.  If I was a good Christian man looking for a good Christian woman, I would skip right over the Maxwell daughters.  They're always with their family.  They can't function on their own.  How are they going to run households and raise children when they are always in pairs or more?  Blog about things they do by themselves, or things they organize by themselves without help from family members.  Allison Bontrager is organizing and running a women's retreat.  That's the kind of thing that men want to see.  Helping renovate a house or taking care of kids is nice, but they're always doing these things with their family members.  A man is going to say that they can't function on their own.  Sarah's airport post didn't help any.  It just showed that she has trouble functioning on her own. 

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:40 PM, catlady said:

would you be willing to share your recipe for tuna pie?  

everyone's food usage/storage ideas are far more interesting than the Maxwells.

i used a whole small onion in chicken soup yesterday.  we had a rotisserie chicken on saturday, so yesterday morning i boiled the carcass, deboned it, added potatoes, carrots, celery, The Whole Onion, and a bunch of random spices that were almost empty anyway.  it turned out well.

i'm currently hooked on Penzey's Spices, and i buy a lot of the little jars, so they tend to run out fairly quickly.  i prefer the little ones because they don't go stale on me.

I love Penzey's.  I save up some $$ and hit the Hartford store.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived