IGNORED

Maxwell 19: Life is Still Boring

Coconut Flan

21 hours ago, freejugar said:
  •  
  Hide contents

Delicious!

I think my dog has pooped out better looking meals...

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, SPHASH said:

You may think this is weird but I will grill a chicken breast, chop it up like fajita strips, then mix it  with corn and white rice, add some seasoning and VIOLA! my supper.  Looks bland but I like it.

That's downright carnival-esque, compared to a meal my husband once served: halibut, white rice, and steamed cauliflower on white plates. My kid remarked drily that "we should have invited the Whites (our neighbors) over for dinner tonight".

Just jumping in here to comment that doing two stages of food prep at a time isn’t “multitasking”—it’s fucking COOKING. 

Did anyone else catch the Ebil Employed Woman in the Comments section? She casts some deluxe major-league shade by listing all the household stuff she does on top of holding down an outside job!

They could use the frozen cooked ground beef in spaghetti sauce or a hamburger helper kind of meal. I usually buy frozen pre-chopped onions personally because Mr Bertnee doesn't care for onions so I usually only use them in dishes where you can't tell.

I have been thinking about the leftover hot dogs and wonder if they just mean whatever uncooked hot dogs left in the package. Now, after seeing that pork monstrosity casserole I  am sure they would use leftover hot dogs but I can’t see them making too many hot dogs at a time. You know it’s probably, at most, one hot dog for the women and two hot dogs for the men. Therefore, there are always a few left in the package. You know they are probably just using the package with 10 hot dogs. I don’t see them using a Costco size package. 

How flipping long did it take to cook 4 pounds of frozen ground beef just to use half an onion? That is a waste of time. So she is going to thaw and cook the beef so she can use the onion, then re-freeze the beef with the onion only to thaw it out and cook it again. Brilliant. 

.....Putting frozen cut onion on a grocery list since learning they are a thing.....

Half an onion (even a jumbo one), for four pounds of meat, why bother. I doubt they could taste it at all. I can use one onion with one pound of ground beef in some dishes...and I use other seasonings.  But in Maxhell that much flavor would be the equivalent of f*n, and that is forbidden.

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

I....

How flipping long did it take to cook 4 pounds of frozen ground beef just to use half an onion? That is a waste of time. So she is going to thaw and cook the beef so she can use the onion, then re-freeze the beef with the onion only to thaw it out and cook it again. Brilliant. 

.....Putting frozen cut onion on a grocery list since learning they are a thing.....

And once the beef and itty-bit of onion was browned, she froze it again for later use?  Are there any data on how freezing and thawing and cooking and re-freezing foods of any sorts affect taste and texture?

What a freakin’ maroon!  

I’ve never felt Terifying was a victim. Seeing/hearing her perform at a Maxwell infomercial cemented my belief. 

Reading her blogpost, however, make me think she is downright stupid about a great many things in life. Multi-freezing meat is not multitasking.

She may have had the brains for college-level chemistry but she certainly has not enough common sense to check the meaning of a word before describing it and vilifying the concept it describes. 

She just needed to demonize something so she chose multitasking. And used a completely erroneous example.

And she thawed and cooked and refroze meat. When she could’ve chopped the onion and saved it in a glass jar in the fridge for the next burrito festival or - if used promptly - on a salad. 

Maroon. 

6 hours ago, socalrules said:

<snip>

Some places even sell it in sort of mini ice cube shapes so you can just pop out however many you want at a time, which makes it even nicer!

My favorite is the sweeter glazed onion that's done like that (I think it's maybe 14 of the little 'cubes' in each).  We love, love, love that stuff! And with the sweeter onion I can get away with putting it in even more because it's flavor is even less 'sharp' for the fussy family members!

And they do a bunch of herbs in those little cubes now too.

One pic I found on a blog of one of the 'pop and cook' kinds. Pop-Cook-at-Walmart.jpg

1 hour ago, jakesykora said:

Some places even sell it in sort of mini ice cube shapes so you can just pop out however many you want at a time, which makes it even nicer!

My favorite is the sweeter glazed onion that's done like that (I think it's maybe 14 of the little 'cubes' in each).  We love, love, love that stuff! And with the sweeter onion I can get away with putting it in even more because it's flavor is even less 'sharp' for the fussy family members!

And they do a bunch of herbs in those little cubes now too.

One pic I found on a blog of one of the 'pop and cook' kinds. Pop-Cook-at-Walmart.jpg

I do that with herbs from my garden. Chop a bunch, pack it in ice cube trays, fill with olive oil and freeze. Then pop them out and put them in a bag. Perfect for soups, sauces, etc. But that's probably too much thought and taste for Maxhell :my_rolleyes:

I realize the Maxwells cook mostly in beige with regard to colour and taste but I also believe the lack of flavourings has more to do with cost. If they break down the cost of an onion and the seasonings that most of us would add, then each meal would cost more. 

I hope Chelsy puts in a big garden this spring. Entire onions for the whole clan!

BEC moment, but why is Teri peeling that carrot from tip to top?  Or is that just me?  I peel from top to tip, that way I just chop the top off and toss it without having wasted time peeling it.

How do you peel your carrots?  All willy nilly any end doesn't matter, top to tip, or tip to top? 

I need a nap. :)

My mom bought the frozen garlic cubes once, and I was like "whhhhy?" She said it was because cutting a bulb is too much work  and she doesn't use real garlic enough before it goes bad - which is true, since they usually come in 3s and she doesn't even go through 1, and when I would come to her place weeks later, the package was still in there and barely used up.

I love my mom though. Her not liking cooking just means it's something I can do for her, or at least would be able to do if I didn't live too far to visit (at least I can send her yummy Haribo you can only buy in Germany)

2 hours ago, jiggleromp said:

How do you peel your carrots?  All willy nilly any end doesn't matter, top to tip, or tip to top? 

Top to tip. Sometimes there's a tiny bit that doesn't come off, and it's easier to shave it off the other way, but that's the exception. I cut off the tippy-tips though. I don't like wasting food, but I never thought of either end of the carrot as being actual food.

My grandfather always cooked bland and beige. Even salt and pepper were considered too spicy sometimes or unnecessary. Meat was cooked to death, and most vegetables were canned and then cooked until chewing was no longer a requirement. Though sugar was an idol and put  in everything, even mashed potatoes. Any food is improved by white sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, corn syrup or molasses, according to my grandfather. “It takes the edge off.”  I don’t even know what that means. Whenever we ate at my grandparents’ the food always tasted candied. My mom says it is no wonder that they all had cavities growing up. 

I buy minced garlic in a jar bcause... well it's quicker. I usually have onions on hand, but also have frozen chopped onion for those days when I'm running late and just want to do something marginally quicker. 

Also I've never thought about carrot peeling direction before but it is top to tip. I tend to chop off both ends too, although I try to only chop a tiny bit of the tip off to get maximum nutrients.

Those pics are awful!  I also hate this caption: I guess we told them to look at the baby. The boys got the memo but the girls did not.  Just another slam on girls.
DSC_6145.jpg.09667e1a62a0de528a87038bb0701698.jpg
The kids are adorable. I love the little girls dresses. Anna is a talented seamstress. She could support herself and the children if necessary.

Does anyone else think that they haven’t updated johns picture to include Chelsy because they don’t like her?

C8B9935D-5651-42DE-AA37-28F5424A7F91.png

Either they don't like her, or they haven't found time in The Almighty Schedule to change the picture.

17 hours ago, jiggleromp said:

I don’t peel my carrots. Or potatoes. Or cucumbers or anything else.  Am I a bad person?

4 hours ago, catlady said:

I don’t peel my carrots. Or potatoes. Or cucumbers or anything else.  Am I a bad person?

Only in Maxhell.

4 hours ago, catlady said:

Not at all.  I peel potatoes because I put them through the ricer, and cukes if they are waxed.

The littlest boy looks  like he just farted, the older boy looks like he just smelled it (or is wondering what the heck the baby is), the girl holding the baby looks like she is angry about something, and the girl standing up only looks happy because she is too far away to smell little boy's gross smelling fart. 

Those dresses kinda remind me of what I wore growing up in the lat 80s/early 90s. 

5 hours ago, nomoxian said:

Either they don't like her, or they haven't found time in The Almighty Schedule to change the picture.

Its bad enough that they have to fit a time in to plan a meal around the frozen ground beef + half an onion; they won't be able schedule a time to do a picture swap  for months.

Guys, I'm typing this while waiting the clothes dryer to finish, my toenail polish to dry + I'm talking to the cat. Multi-multi-tasking!!!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived