IGNORED

Maxwell 19: Life is Still Boring

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, daisyjane1234 said:

As a mother who lived something similar I would suggest only Melanie gets to tell this particular story of grief.  

First of all: I am sorry you had (and have) to go through all this.

In regards to Sarah's post: I read it a little different, I see her describing what she observed in her brother an d his wife when Susannah was born and died. I don't feel she is taking ownership of other people's feelings. This is a very close knit family, they spend a lot of time together and I assume she saw and heard how Nathan and Melanie were trying to cope. I give her a pass on this one, I think it is beautifully written!

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, daisyjane1234 said:

What would one have to do to become a certified homeschool?  How would they demonstrate their school meets any kind of standards that would compare it to more traditional/public schooling? (which we know it doesn't). I don't get it.

Here you go:  http://www.ksde.org/Agency/Division-of-Learning-Services/Career-Standards-and-Assessment-Services/CSAS-Home/Graduation-and-Schools-of-Choice/Non-Accredited-Private-Schools

All you ever wanted to know about lax standards for homeschooling in Kansas.  And it is probably better than a few other states.

The School of Living Waters (dry river bed, more like) was indeed registered as an unaccredited private school.  The fancy-pants diplomas that the Maxwells handed out are not worth the paper they are printed on.

However, there is nothing to stop a motivated Maxwell taking online classes, if necessary, and passing a GED.  They would just have to register and pay for the test.  I expect that is what John did if he needed one for his real estate licence. 

As far as the Maxwell education goes, the younger kidults writing is as bad as, if not worse than, Sarah's.  Anna's attempts at writing are particularly bad, IMO.

The Maxwell who got really screwed about graduating was Mary.  She didn't graduate until she was 19, IIRC.  At one point, per Sarah, Mary was supposed to be well ahead of schedule and expected to graduate at 17.  Two years later she finally gets handed her worthless diploma.  They deliberately delayed her graduation until they could say Teri had completed 30 years of homeschooling. 

15 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Here you go:  http://www.ksde.org/Agency/Division-of-Learning-Services/Career-Standards-and-Assessment-Services/CSAS-Home/Graduation-and-Schools-of-Choice/Non-Accredited-Private-Schools

All you ever wanted to know about lax standards for homeschooling in Kansas.  And it is probably better than a few other states.

The School of Living Waters (dry river bed, more like) was indeed registered as an unaccredited private school.  The fancy-pants diplomas that the Maxwells handed out are not worth the paper they are printed on.

However, there is nothing to stop a motivated Maxwell taking online classes, if necessary, and passing a GED.  They would just have to register and pay for the test.  I expect that is what John did if he needed one for his real estate licence. 

As far as the Maxwell education goes, the younger kidults writing is as bad as, if not worse than, Sarah's.  Anna's attempts at writing are particularly bad, IMO.

The Maxwell who got really screwed about graduating was Mary.  She didn't graduate until she was 19, IIRC.  At one point, per Sarah, Mary was supposed to be well ahead of schedule and expected to graduate at 17.  Two years later she finally gets handed her worthless diploma.  They deliberately delayed her graduation until they could say Teri had completed 30 years of homeschooling. 

WTH are you serious? I mean I knew they were horrible people and bad parents but holding your child back for that just takes it to a whole new level. 

On 3/19/2018 at 7:51 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

don't they also hike. it seems they talk about hiking a lot on their blog. 

They do hike, which would make either Anna or Mary an ideal helpmeet for whichever son of DPIAT it was who thru-hiked the PCT. His mother hiked with him for a couple days, so he must not consider the activity to be strictly for manly men.

5 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

They do hike, which would make either Anna or Mary an ideal helpmeet for whichever son of DPIAT it was who thru-hiked the PCT.

That would be young Justice.  He seems to have thoroughly shaken the Tool's dust off his feet.  He was commercial fishing in the NW last time I looked. He barely visits the family these days, according to Beall.  Go Justice! 

The thought of Steve accepting any of those loose livin', drinkin', smokin' VFers as a son in law is rather funny.  Especially as Justice's disgraced Dad is now cavorting around Europe with scantily clad burlesque dancers.

4 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

They are a certified homeschool - Flowing Rivers, Twin Branches, some nonsense like that - so there is not reason for the kids to take a GED any more so than a kid in a private school should have to take it.

That doesn't really mean much though.  The Turpin parents named their homeschool too, and those children had no education, and lived in a house of horrors. 

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

WTH are you serious? I mean I knew they were horrible people and bad parents but holding your child back for that just takes it to a whole new level. 

It's something you'd joke about doing, not something you'd actually do (Hey, Mary! We'll have to hold you back two years so we can say we homeschooled for thirty years! Har har har!). But leave it to the Maxwells to do it. 

I don't want to get into a debate, but I am going to pick a nit.

If the state says a private school (homeschooling falls under this umbrella in many states) can print their own diplomas, then they can do so and the diploma is not worthless per se.  If they followed the law, they followed the law.  

The high school records that most colleges want is the *transcript*, not the diploma.   

If it is someone's OPINION that it is worthless, that is their prerogative and another ball of wax altogether.

The anniversary of Susannah's death is the one time every year that the Maxwells appear human IMO. Nathan and Melanie may find it too difficult to write the posts, so they let Sarah do it. 

The school name was Flowing Streams Christian School... or Stagnant Pond Christian Prison as I tend to think of it. 

@danvillebelle, I was trying to say the same thing but wasn’t doing very well. I would think that if the Maxwells had to register the kids’ grades with a state agency and that agency recognizes them as a private school that met particular standards, then they are high school diplomas. The quality of said institution is another issue (kind of like how Public School A is better or worse than PS B).  My high school, back in the Dark Ages, had someone hand-write all the names in calligraphy on the diplomas, then put a fancy gold sticker on the ones for National Honor Society members; it’s nothing more than a presentation piece, because all grads’ records were registered with the state. 

1 hour ago, danvillebelle said:

If the state says a private school (homeschooling falls under this umbrella in many states) can print their own diplomas, then they can do so and the diploma is not worthless per se.  If they followed the law, they followed the law.  

I agree.  They followed the law.  And they have their fancy diplomas.  Cool.  

States vary greatly as to whether they even test or evaluate homeschoolers at all.

But as far as employment or (not Fundie) accredited higher education goes, a home made (albeit legal) unaccredited homeschool diploma doesn't prove anything much.   

Bottom line:  Unaccredited homeschool graduates should try to get that damn GED if they can!

Now I'm just imagining a dirt and dog hair covered piece of paper the Nog kids receive on "graduation day." 

I could have sworn we found it registered with the state at some point, giving lie to that.  Am I crazy?
The little boys can't help their bad hair cuts and mini me grown up suits. The older boy did look like Charlie Brown for a while because he had no hair.

Chris needs to find his back bone, man up and fo his own thing. Wear blue jeans. Let the girls wear cute modern modest outfits with bright colors. Give the boys some board shorts and cargo shorts with godly graphic t shirts.

Teri and Steve should be ashamed of themselves for isolating his kids and under educating them.

I don't think Susannah's birthday posts have ever been written by Nathan or Melanie, always by a main family member. Since they've apparently never objected or taken it on themselves, it must be okay with them. 

About Flowing Streams Whatever, it may be unaccredited but the kids were administered standardized tests, FWIW.

https://blog.titus2.com/2017/03/16/the-generations-advance/

Whether or not those scores have to be submitted to the state (I assume they do if they're using the tests) or if Maxwells just do it for their own assessment purposes, I don't know. But if they meet whatever the Kansas state guidelines are for homeschooling—however strict or lax those guidelines may be and regardless of what WE might think—then I can't see why they wouldn't be considered legitimate graduates for purposes of employment, etc. Their diplomas, lettered by happy hands at home, are really no different than any other. I've created diplomas for number of schools (from hand calligraphy for the names only to full graphic), but in the end, they're all just mass-produced certificates that have ceremonial value only.

And honestly, I'm not defending the quality of the Maxwell's home schooling—my issue is more about the content and textbooks-only method—but it's sadly no better or worse than what comes out of a lot of public schools. I had a friend who taught remedial English grammar and composition to community college students who couldn't string together a coherent sentence, despite "graduating" high school, just as there are many who slide through despite being functionally illiterate.

16 minutes ago, sparkles said:

I don't think Susannah's birthday posts have ever been written by Nathan or Melanie, always by a main family member. Since they've apparently never objected or taken it on themselves, it must be okay with them. 

About Flowing Streams Whatever, it may be unaccredited but the kids were administered standardized tests, FWIW.

https://blog.titus2.com/2017/03/16/the-generations-advance/

Whether or not those scores have to be submitted to the state (I assume they do if they're using the tests) or if Maxwells just do it for their own assessment purposes, I don't know. But if they meet whatever the Kansas state guidelines are for homeschooling—however strict or lax those guidelines may be and regardless of what WE might think—then I can't see why they wouldn't be considered legitimate graduates for purposes of employment, etc. Their diplomas, lettered by happy hands at home, are really no different than any other. I've created diplomas for number of schools (from hand calligraphy for the names only to full graphic), but in the end, they're all just mass-produced certificates that have ceremonial value only.

And honestly, I'm not defending the quality of the Maxwell's home schooling—my issue is more about the content and textbooks-only method—but it's sadly no better or worse than what comes out of a lot of public schools. I had a friend who taught remedial English grammar and composition to community college students who couldn't string together a coherent sentence, despite "graduating" high school, just as there are many who slide through despite being functionally illiterate.

they might have legally graduated but from what I'm understanding many jobs won't consider you with a diploma like they have since it's non accredited. people keep talking about which ever son works real estate needing a GED and I can't really find the real estate laws for their state so I'm not sure. 

22 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

they might have legally graduated but from what I'm understanding many jobs won't consider you with a diploma like they have since it's non accredited. people keep talking about which ever son works real estate needing a GED and I can't really find the real estate laws for their state so I'm not sure. 

Here’s what the HSLDA says (note the typo :my_biggrin:): 

Does My Child Need a GED?

In most cases, no. Homeschool students who have successfully completed their home education curriculum do not need a GED. General Eduacational Development (GEDs) still carry the stigma associated with high school drop-outs, which both undermines the equivalency of a homeschool diploma and can cause confusion regarding whether the student actually completed high school. If a college, employer, or military recruitment officer tells your child that he or she needs a GED, please contact HSLDA.

41 minutes ago, sparkles said:

I think you're right about the birthday posts.

I do recall Melanie writing a very heartfelt post maybe a couple of months after their daughter's death.  She was grateful for all the prayers and sympathy from the blog readers and asked for the prayers to continue.

So, yes, I think they're probably o.k. with Sarah writing these posts.  I certainly hope Sarah would stop if they had any objections.

2 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I’m from Missouri and my older brother graduated, a year early, from home schooling. I don’t think he ever got a GED but he did go to community college. There are jobs out there that don’t require a degree but they usually don’t pay well. 

8 hours ago, SamuraiKatz said:

Chris needs to find his back bone, man up and fo his own thing. Wear blue jeans. Let the girls wear cute modern modest outfits with bright colors. Give the boys some board shorts and cargo shorts with godly graphic t shirts.

I think Chris and Anna DO do their own thing when it comes to clothing. They’re the only ones who dress “differently”. I mean, even Steve wears jeans. 

I think Chris and Anna DO do their own thing when it comes to clothing. They’re the only ones who dress “differently”. I mean, even Steve wears jeans. 
Chris continues to dress like he did when they werecrolling around the lower 48 in Uraiah. Security blanket or rote habit?

2 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Someone care to decipher Steve's latest Dad's post? :huh:

How often do you read something or here a message

Fix this, Stevie.  Eschew homophonia.   :my_biggrin:

I also think it was pretty awful to hold Mary back just so Teri could have bragging rights, but my guess is that it didn't make one bit of difference to Mary. I mean, it wasn't like she actually needed her diploma for anything. She isn't going to college. She doesn't have a job outside the family. A delayed diploma didn't delay her life or interfere with her in any way. To me, the fact that it didn't make a bit of difference is worse than the fact that her diploma was delayed.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived