IGNORED

Maxwell 19: Life is Still Boring

Coconut Flan

Top to tip because it's easier that way.

Must be a horrible life to have everything scheduled and just go through the motions, even with food. I usually just think the night before or in the mornings what I'm craving and cook whatever I want to eat, sometimes I do cook something quick or just grab yogurt, fruit, granola... But dinner time is me time (and if i'm tired i order a pizza or chinese). 

What a sad life when you can't even enjoy food.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/17/2018 at 4:20 AM, SueEllenMishke said:

I do that with herbs from my garden. Chop a bunch, pack it in ice cube trays, fill with olive oil and freeze. Then pop them out and put them in a bag. Perfect for soups, sauces, etc. But that's probably too much thought and taste for Maxhell :my_rolleyes:

Herbs? HERBS?!? Surely you jest.

8 hours ago, catlady said:

I don’t peel my carrots. Or potatoes. Or cucumbers or anything else.  Am I a bad person?

No. We are not vegetable fundamentalists here. Peel, don't peel, cook, don't cook. Fresh, frozen, canned, whatever floats your boat.  Speaking of which, I hope those FJers who don't cook, or who cook but don't enjoy it, don't feel slighted when some of us talk about roasting peppers or other above-and-beyond-the-quotidian kitchen techniques.  We don't judge each other, just our fundies.

Obligatory judgy comment: I got to thinking how I would handle 4 pounds of ground beef. Assuming it arrived in my kitchen in a not-frozen state, if I didn't have time just then to make something with it I would have just divided it up into meal-sized portions before freezing. If I had time to cook right then,or if I had to defrost it and use it all at once, I would have made several different meals--maybe a meatloaf, some lasagna or spaghetti sauce, a batch of chili, a curry--and then frozen whatever we wouldn't be eating in the next couple of days. THAT still would not be multi-tasking, unless I wiped down the cabinets at the same time. It would be a nice cooking binge, though.

I don't get how they can be so disorganized when it comes to meal planning. Why are they finding themselves in these situations where they have to refreeze three-day-old cooked meat, or thaw ground beef so they can chop up half an onion to add to it and then refreeze it? What happened to their meticulous scheduling?

I'm especially confused about the onion. Why not just use the onion for something you're cooking that day? Add it to an omelette. Make some hashbrowns. Sautee it with a bunch of vegetables. Add it to a salad. It's an onion, it's pretty versatile, and half an onion is nothing. 

You could just put half an onion in a bag and put it in the crisper for next use, but I guess that’s too complicated for Teri...

23 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I don't get how they can be so disorganized when it comes to meal planning. Why are they finding themselves in these situations where they have to refreeze three-day-old cooked meat, or thaw ground beef so they can chop up half an onion to add to it and then refreeze it? What happened to their meticulous scheduling?

I'm especially confused about the onion. Why not just use the onion for something you're cooking that day? Add it to an omelette. Make some hashbrowns. Sautee it with a bunch of vegetables. Add it to a salad. It's an onion, it's pretty versatile, and half an onion is nothing. 

You're counting on them to improvise their recipes and be a tiny bit creative (!!!!). If the eggs are normally cooked without onion, they will never ever have onion. 

47 minutes ago, freethemall said:

You're counting on them to improvise their recipes and be a tiny bit creative (!!!!). If the eggs are normally cooked without onion, they will never ever have onion. 

Improvise?  They only do "energize,"  lol.  How they'd energize an onion has escaped them so far.

3 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

No. We are not vegetable fundamentalists here. Peel, don't peel, cook, don't cook. Fresh, frozen, canned, whatever floats your boat.  Speaking of which, I hope those FJers who don't cook, or who cook but don't enjoy it, don't feel slighted when some of us talk about roasting peppers or other above-and-beyond-the-quotidian kitchen techniques.  We don't judge each other, just our fundies.

Obligatory judgy comment: I got to thinking how I would handle 4 pounds of ground beef. Assuming it arrived in my kitchen in a not-frozen state, if I didn't have time just then to make something with it I would have just divided it up into meal-sized portions before freezing. If I had time to cook right then,or if I had to defrost it and use it all at once, I would have made several different meals--maybe a meatloaf, some lasagna or spaghetti sauce, a batch of chili, a curry--and then frozen whatever we wouldn't be eating in the next couple of days. THAT still would not be multi-tasking, unless I wiped down the cabinets at the same time. It would be a nice cooking binge, though.

Agreed. FJers that don't cook or don't like it, cooking is not for everybody... Just enjoy your food! Eating is the best!!

3 hours ago, Coconutwater said:

You could just put half an onion in a bag and put it in the crisper for next use, but I guess that’s too complicated for Teri...

I'm such a heathen, that's what I did with my onion today. I will add it later to whatever dish I so choose. No food schedule for me.

4 hours ago, Coconutwater said:

Here's how I recently used one medium yellow onion :  1/4 was finely chopped and sauteed along with some ground beef for a cabbage /ground beef dish, 1/8 was used in a tuna pie, 1/4 chopped up for taco night, and the rest may have ended up in the compost bin.

I use my mandolin and slice the onions into thin slices. Throw them into a sauce pan with some olive oil and butter and let them cook down (30-40 minutes). Then I add 1T of brown sugar and 1T of balsamic vinegar. Onion jam. If I'm really getting into it, I'll cook 1/2 lb of bacon and chop it and throw it in with the onions and just cook it until it all is brown and yummy. A wonderful condiment. 

I learned to cook when I was a kid and I love to do it. I'm mentally going through my list for Easter, but I don't think it'll be a big dinner. Mom's in heaven, daughter is going to be in WI and my niece is a vegetarian...she'll eat the vegetables.

Tip for anyone who's a lazy cook, or who camps, or what have you:

When we freeze ground meat, we freeze whatever portion size we need in zippy bags... and we smoosh it down so it's a flat, thin package, rather than a big lump. It stacks easier in a cooler or small freezer, and it also thaws more quickly when time comes to cook it..

I don't peel many veg, either.. so glad I'm in with like minded people.

I put half an onion in a bag in the crisper all the time. I just assumed that was what the Maxwells had done, and they were trying to use the onion right before its fridge life had ended. If not, that makes it even weirder. Half an onion will last a pretty long time in the fridge, and there are a multitude of different dishes you can use it in,

New post up this morning of the aunties taking Anna + Christopher's kids on a walk. Nothing else to say, it's as boring as it sounds.

8 minutes ago, freethemall said:

New post up this morning of the aunties taking Anna + Christopher's kids on a walk. Nothing else to say, it's as boring as it sounds.

Seriously how full is Goofy Anna's schedule where she can only walk the kids as time permits?  Good to see Ellie.  Last night I had a dream Scary Mary got married.  At the reception the guests questioned why she got married before Poor Sarah and Anna.  Coward Steve got pissed and ordered everyone out of the room.

16 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

Here's how I recently used one medium yellow onion :  ..., 1/8 was used in a tuna pie,

would you be willing to share your recipe for tuna pie?  

everyone's food usage/storage ideas are far more interesting than the Maxwells.

i used a whole small onion in chicken soup yesterday.  we had a rotisserie chicken on saturday, so yesterday morning i boiled the carcass, deboned it, added potatoes, carrots, celery, The Whole Onion, and a bunch of random spices that were almost empty anyway.  it turned out well.

i'm currently hooked on Penzey's Spices, and i buy a lot of the little jars, so they tend to run out fairly quickly.  i prefer the little ones because they don't go stale on me.

53 minutes ago, catlady said:

would you be willing to share your recipe for tuna pie? 

Absolutely - but it's at home and I'm at work, so I'll PM it to you later.  It is simple and quick, and I make a cucumber sauce to go with it.

25 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

When we freeze ground meat, we freeze whatever portion size we need in zippy bags... and we smoosh it down so it's a flat, thin package, rather than a big lump. It stacks easier in a cooler or small freezer, and it also thaws more quickly when time comes to cook it..

I don't peel many veg, either.. so glad I'm in with like minded people.

This is a more useful tip than anything I've ever gotten from five years of reading the Maxwell blog...

And yeah, not peeling veggies is actually pretty good for you. The majority of vitamins and fiber are typically in the skin. 

Taking children for a walk isn't even facebook status worthy.  It's what adults should be doing.  Children need fresh air and exercise, and it's a parent or caregiver's responsibility to see that they have it.  The Maxwells post about things that everyone does, like it's an event. 

20 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

Taking children for a walk isn't even facebook status worthy.  It's what adults should be doing.  Children need fresh air and exercise, and it's a parent or caregiver's responsibility to see that they have it.  The Maxwells post about things that everyone does, like it's an event. 

In their world I guess it is an event.

I did have to laugh how Sarah made sure to write that Reversal  Anna takes the kids for walks as her schedule permits.  C'mon, what is Anna so busy with that she can't take her nieces and nephews for walks any time?

I remember they did A Day in the Life of each of the sisters, but even then their work (whatever it was) took only a few hours a day.  They couldn't even make stuff up to fill an entire day.

It's the homeschooling moms (and Elissa with a toddler and a newborn ) who have no time.

Over the last couple weeks, a few commenters have touched on something that has been on my mind, regarding the fact that the Maxwell daughters will likely remain UNMARRIED. 

I am really starting to believe that one reason Steve will not allow them to marry is to keep them available as help to their brothers. The ever important sons cannot be robbed of their "staff" for whatever businesses they own. They can't be robbed of the free childcare, housecleaning and cooking help. What would they do when blessing number eleventy is on the way and all the sisters are busy tending to their own NON-Mxwellian husbands and offspring?? 

Other reasons Steve is preventing marriage for his daughters (in my opinion):

Teri cannot handle the household without them. The schedule has been made with all three daughters included.  It will not be changed. 

Teri could not handle the stress of planning a wedding. 

Steve could not survive with only Teri to wait on him hand and foot. 

Steve does not want to pay for a wedding for some undeserving male who does not have the Maxwell name. 

The obvious: Steve will not give up control of his daughters and let them move away from the compound. 

Seriously, do Anna and Mary do anything other than clean and look after their brothers' kids?!?

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

In their world I guess it is an event.

I did have to laugh how Sarah made sure to write that Reversal  Anna takes the kids for walks as her schedule permits.  C'mon, what is Anna so busy with that she can't take her nieces and nephews for walks any time?

I remember they did A Day in the Life of each of the sisters, but even then their work (whatever it was) took only a few hours a day.  They couldn't even make stuff up to fill an entire day.

It's the homeschooling moms (and Elissa with a toddler and a newborn ) who have no time.

my question is why is it even Anna's job to take the kids for a walk. and yes the way it was written sounded like it was her duty to do so.  not just an aunt wanting to spend time with her nieces and nephews. 

2 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Over the last couple weeks, a few commenters have touched on something that has been on my mind, regarding the fact that the Maxwell daughters will likely remain UNMARRIED. 

I am really starting to believe that one reason Steve will not allow them to marry is to keep them available as help to their brothers. The ever important sons cannot be robbed of their "staff" for whatever businesses they own. They can't be robbed of the free childcare, housecleaning and cooking help. What would they do when blessing number eleventy is on the way and all the sisters are busy tending to their own NON-Mxwellian husbands and offspring?? 

Other reasons Steve is preventing marriage for his daughters (in my opinion):

Teri cannot handle the household without them. The schedule has been made with all three daughters included.  It will not be changed. 

Teri could not handle the stress of planning a wedding. 

Steve could not survive with only Teri to wait on him hand and foot. 

Steve does not want to pay for a wedding for some undeserving male who does not have the Maxwell name. 

The obvious: Steve will not give up control of his daughters and let them move away from the compound. 

I don't disagree with any of this, but I think there's a big factor FOR marriage.

Simply put, the job of a fundie patriarch is to raise arrows who will in turn produce their own arrows for God -- hence Steve's vasectomy reversal, to produce more children. Nathan and Christopher are on it, but if he doesn't marry Sarah or Mary or Anna, then their increase is lost to Christ.

Therefore, the DUTY of a father of daughters is to find them husbands, servant-leaders who will join with them on their walk with Christ and father all those many arrows. By keeping his girlchildren at home, Steve is failing his last and most important responsibility towards his daughters.

It gets a little more complicated here. Steve's failure is public. If we are pointing it out and gossiping about it, don't you think that his fundie friends are questioning it as well? I often find FJ can be nitpicky, but this is no nit: it's a big, obvious thing. Don't you think that his peers are discussing it behind his back? Steve HATES failure and he hates public failure even more (see: the failed courtships being wiped from the blog.)

Given this, do you think he's still preventing marriage? Or do you think he might be subconsciously preventing marriage for all the reasons you listed above, while publicly considering suitors? It's a dilemma.

I do think that there's a big chunk of Stevego (read as Steve ego) that won't allow him to think that any other human male could provide the incredible umbrella of protection that he, Steve(go)Hova provides.... therefore, no other human male is good enough.

He could also be having thoughts about "giving" his tender daughters' flesh to other men, and now I need the brain bleach...

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived