IGNORED

Maxwell 19: Life is Still Boring

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

So...is this photo for Easter or is it just a random updated, family pic?? Dang, I didn't realize Chris has 5 children. Where have I been? We know Steve is proud of this bunch. The Maxwell name will gone on!

Oh, Tangy Bee, Tangy Bee, Tangy Bee.  It's Resurrection Sunday, not Easter!

We'll let you go with a warning this time because, frankly, the prayer closet is full to bursting with this crowd, but next time...

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Not all fundies are like the Duggar and Bates families.  Steve Maxwell is like a cult leader.  He preys on the vulnerable for money and power.  He attracts people who are afraid for whatever reasons.   You could see that from the Dad's Corner posts.  His niche is the "afraid of the outside world" group.  And they see it's working for the Maxwells.  Sons who live right near him and obedient daughters who stay close to their parents.  

Not all fundies are like the Duggars and Bateses, but  there are far more like them, or desiring to be like them, than there are people hoping to still be supporting unmarried daughters in their thirties. It's pretty clear that Steve's weirdness and inflexibility is affecting the Maxwell business's bottom line. They don't go on the book tours like they used to, there are far fewer comments on the blog, and it seems sales have really dropped off for their books. 

I do think he has a lot in common with a cult leader, but I think that cult is limited to his immediate family. There are some outside families who might like bits and pieces of the Maxwell message, but the Maxwells don't have near the clout or following of the Bateses, who managed to charm many conservative Christians with their wholesome positivity, stylish outfits, and sense of fun and have harnessed the power of TV and social media to get that message out there. 

I mean, I'm glad that Steve's inflexibility is his undoing. I shudder at the thought of him having a following of thousands. 

Griselda Hero's latest Mom's Corner is disgusting.  Homemaker's bosses are their husbands and are subject to performance reviews.

5 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Griselda Hero's latest Mom's Corner is disgusting.  Homemaker's bosses are their husbands and are subject to performance reviews.

I remember some blogger saying she submitted her day's to-do list to her husband each morning to be sure he approved. He could add, delete, reprioritize....

oh, that just makes me sick.....

so if Teri is subject to annual performance reviews, what does she get in return? A salary?  Paid vacation?  An employee-of-the-year award/bonus?  And is she encouraged to give feedback on “management”?  

And here’s a hearty “Fuck you” for Steve for encouraging her to think that way in the first place. And one more—Fuck you, Steve. 

Honestly, I sometimes think it is better in the fundy world to just not marry. I would rather stay home, take care of siblings then parents when they get old. At least you may have a few years where there are no siblings or nieces and nephews to take care of. I just couldn’t deal with having to stomp on my own kids’ dreams, be subservient to a man even when I know he is batshit wrong and now have to put up with a performance review of whether I was meek enough. I decline to volunteer for the position of fundy wife and mother. I know some people have said, well, at least they get to have sex, but I would bet that a lot of fundy sex is only enjoyable to the man. It’s obvious a fundy woman’s needs are not important. 

4 hours ago, kpmom said:

Oh, Tangy Bee, Tangy Bee, Tangy Bee.  It's Resurrection Sunday, not Easter!

We'll let you go with a warning this time because, frankly, the prayer closet is full to bursting with this crowd, but next time...

Oh, c'mon, the prayer closet is the place to "Bee!"

13 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Honestly, I sometimes think it is better in the fundy world to just not marry. I would rather stay home, take care of siblings then parents when they get old. At least you may have a few years where there are no siblings or nieces and nephews to take care of. I just couldn’t deal with having to stomp on my own kids’ dreams, be subservient to a man even when I know he is batshit wrong and now have to put up with a performance review of whether I was meek enough. I decline to volunteer for the position of fundy wife and mother. I know some people have said, well, at least they get to have sex, but I would bet that a lot of fundy sex is only enjoyable to the man. It’s obvious a fundy woman’s needs are not important. 

It really depends on the fundie family in my opinion. I would get the fuck out of Maxhell at my first opportunity. Same with Zoo and Pp's house. And the shitstead. And the Rod RV.

4 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I remember some blogger saying she submitted her day's to-do list to her husband each morning to be sure he approved. He could add, delete, reprioritize....

If my husband felt the need to approve my daily schedule, I would delete or reprioritize... the relationship! ;) 

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It really depends on the fundie family in my opinion. I would get the fuck out of Maxhell at my first opportunity. Same with Zoo and Pp's house. And the shitstead. And the Rod RV.

Exactly. If you're unhappy, want to leave and your only way out (and, realistically, if you're raised in the SOTDRT and not acquainted with people in the outside world, I'd imagine it would seem that way) is through marriage, I'd imagine it would seem like the best option. Or at least worth the gamble. 

21 minutes ago, December said:

34 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Exactly. If you're unhappy, want to leave and your only way out (and, realistically, if you're raised in the SOTDRT and not acquainted with people in the outside world, I'd imagine it would seem that way) is through marriage, I'd imagine it would seem like the best option. Or at least worth the gamble. 

But if you are Anna, Mary or Sarah, only Daddy has the wisdom to select your husband. You would feel like a sinner for even thinking a guy was handsome, let alone hot.  I think I asked before, but do the Maxwell "girls" even drive?  They've been brought up in fear of everything outside the family so I wonder. I really do hope at least one of these three gets to marry.

I don't follow these threads closely, but come and go, so I apologize if this has been mentioned about the Maxwell girls women. How would Steve react if one of them approached him saying they felt called by God to explore a relationship? Do these women have any contact with men they are not related to that are in the same age range? Do women solely have to wait until their dad brings it up?

What about the Arndt men? If they felt called, how could their parents argue against a calling? 

38 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

But if you are Anna, Mary or Sarah, only Daddy has the wisdom to select your husband. You would feel like a sinner for even thinking a guy was handsome, let alone hot.  I think I asked before, but do the Maxwell "girls" even drive?  They've been brought up in fear of everything outside the family so I wonder. I really do hope at least one of these three gets to marry.

I don't know about Anna or Mary, but Sarah learned to drive at age 19. She had to tell her parents where she was going and she also had to take a sibling with her for protection/accountability. I don't know if this is still true.

45 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I don't follow these threads closely, but come and go, so I apologize if this has been mentioned about the Maxwell girls women. How would Steve react if one of them approached him saying they felt called by God to explore a relationship? Do these women have any contact with men they are not related to that are in the same age range? Do women solely have to wait until their dad brings it up?

What about the Arndt men? If they felt called, how could their parents argue against a calling? 

I don't know how much contact Sarah has with men.  Did you read her post regarding airport safety?  It was a sad and disturbing post.  Her father made her terrified of men.  On another note, I do think the Maxwells get away with a little bit of freedom by going with the "being called" approach.  The aunties park and John's mission trip are two examples that come to mind.  If they say that they prayed on it and feel led to do it, Steve doesn't have much recourse.  I think a lot of fundies use the being called approach because they know it has the best chance of working in their favor. 

50 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I don't know about Anna or Mary, but Sarah learned to drive at age 19. She had to tell her parents where she was going and she also had to take a sibling with her for protection/accountability. I don't know if this is still true.

When they posted about the surprise party for the last Moody book, there are pictures of Sarah pulling up to the house in a car alone. So who knows how strict they are about the accountability buddies these days. 

Didn't she also take a short day trip to a nearby town for some writing inspiration and it was implied she was by herself? 

I think Sarah gets a tiny bit more freedom than Anna or Mary. That's just my opinion. I can't really back it up. 

2 hours ago, theologygeek said:

I don't know how much contact Sarah has with men.  Did you read her post regarding airport safety?  It was a sad and disturbing post.  Her father made her terrified of men.  On another note, I do think the Maxwells get away with a little bit of freedom by going with the "being called" approach.  The aunties park and John's mission trip are two examples that come to mind.  If they say that they prayed on it and feel led to do it, Steve doesn't have much recourse.  I think a lot of fundies use the being called approach because they know it has the best chance of working in their favor. 

I misssed the airport safety one. I tried searching their blog for airport and couldn’t find it. Was it recent?

6 minutes ago, jakesykora said:

searching their blog is always useless to me

Same here. I suspect Stevehova limits the search results, which is kinda stupid; but let's face it - most of their "fans" are us.

35 minutes ago, jakesykora said:

Last summer she posted it (searching their blog is always useless to me...I always google site search it!):

https://blog.titus2.com/2017/07/17/safety-tips-for-single-women-flying-alone/

Thanks for the search hint!

That blog post was full of WTF to me.  Wow.  Like not everyone is trying to get in your pants. Some people are just fucking friendly. 

11 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I believe that was Crystal of Money Saving Mom before her website really took off. Asking for performance reviews also sounds like something that would have been up her alley!

2 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

That blog post was full of WTF to me.  Wow.  Like not everyone is trying to get in your pants. Some people are just fucking friendly. 

True, but given Sarah's limited contact with the outside world she really wouldn't know the difference and it's probably best for her to be extra cautious. Based on her accounts of her childhood, she never wanted to go to public school or play with the neighborhood kids. She has negative memories of the few occasions where she was allowed to play with other kids. I see this in the Moody books as well-- Molly Moody is perfectly content to play with her brothers and sisters and shows no interest in making friends with other girls her own age. If you take a kid who is already predisposed to be that way and isolate them for 30 years, they're never going to feel at ease in the larger world.

3 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

True, but given Sarah's limited contact with the outside world she really wouldn't know the difference and it's probably best for her to be extra cautious. Based on her accounts of her childhood, she never wanted to go to public school or play with the neighborhood kids. She has negative memories of the few occasions where she was allowed to play with other kids. I see this in the Moody books as well-- Molly Moody is perfectly content to play with her brothers and sisters and shows no interest in making friends with other girls her own age. If you take a kid who is already predisposed to be that way and isolate them for 30 years, they're never going to feel at ease in the larger world.

Oh yeah, I totally get why. It’s still eye opening to me. My comment was more directed at her parents than her.  They were not that sheltered but chose to raise their kids thinking these weird things.

I have major snark on their last post.

Why cook beef without a specific meal plan in mind? How do you know how to season the beef if you don't know how you'll cook it? I wouldn't question it from someone normal, but these are people who live by the almighty schedule, why on earth do they buy groceries without a meal plan, let alone cook them? How long does it take to think, hmm, beef, what shall I do with it, and then cook it with a specific dish in mind?

And un-cooked meat freezes just fine. Cooked meat, on the other hand? Bleargh. That beef will be dry.

As for "multitasking", I know absolutely no one who focusses single-mindedly on chopping an onion. No one.

10 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Thanks for the search hint!

This made me laugh so so hard, because even the thought of Sarah in pants is unimagineable for me.

To be fair (not that I necessarily agree with her, just saying) - Teri is pretty clearly saying in that corner that God is the boss in the scenario, not the husband.  

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived