IGNORED

Lori Alexander 39: Civilization breaks down because...women

samurai_sarah

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why yes, Kittie, yes, you DID explain yourself properly. Lori just likes to argue. And she does NOT like to be disagreed with.

Isn't it funny how Dennis can mock a non-homeschooling mother who disagrees with Lori, when Lori's whole post is about how unfair it is to point out grammatical errors of homeschooling moms? Respect is not given to all who post on her page; in fact, Lori loves it when her vultures swoop in and attack her dissenters. 

I don’t get it. Their homeschooling is an amazing success just because the kids are well behaved in public? So is my public school kid. What does one have to do with the other? Can your kid read & write & do math up to grade level? That is the only measure of success for most kids. Not that they memorized Bible passages or are godly.

Also, I do judge people on their writing skills, unless English is not your first language or you have a diagnosed issue. Poor writing makes you seem uneducated or lazy. Other people will also judge you on how you present yourself in writing.

Newsflash, most husbands & fathers work to support their families. What fundie husbands are doing is expected for all adult men! They praise their men for the bare necessities, not something extraordinary.

My mom was one of those "I will have excelled as a mother if my kids follow Jesus and I will have failed as a mother if they don't" types. It doesn't work well. Like the commenter said, loving Jesus and being well educated aren't mutually exclusive. 

31 minutes ago, EowynW said:

My mom was one of those "I will have excelled as a mother if my kids follow Jesus and I will have failed as a mother if they don't" types. It doesn't work well. Like the commenter said, loving Jesus and being well educated aren't mutually exclusive. 

My mother was like that, though Catholic.  She sent us to public school (mostly, one brother was pulled after the school kept ignoring his IEP and his bullies, and she struggled terribly with homeschooling) but was very clear that education mattered not at all in the big picture.  We needed to get good grades but there would probably be an apocalypse any day now so we shoudn't think or worry about college.   She was really only concerned about our souls to the extent that when I asked her if she would kill me if she heard God telling her to ala Abraham and Isaac, she said "of course."  

ETA now that most of her kids are fallen away from the church she isn't as vocal about it but I know she blames herself and prays for us to return every day.  Our happiness isn't as important as our being in the church following the rules.

36 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

I recall at least one of her kids struggled with math...something is off here.

allgoodat math.PNG

And everyone who can do basic math is obviously equipped to teach themselves calculus!

Lindy Johnson is either gifted in math and does not have the imagination to realize not everyone else is, or her kids have not yet encountered algebra.

I am also tired of the "God is not allowed in publice school!" nonsense.  

My daughter graduated six years ago. During her entire four years in high school, she attended a weekly Bible study before the school day started. The principal opened the doors early that day and the cafeteria staff made breakfast food available for them. 

Many schools also have the Meet Me at the Pole prayer meetings once or twice a year - held on public school property. 

Also, from the very first kindergarten holiday program to the last, they sang standard Christmas songs and also sang songs to commemorate Hanukkah and Kwanzaa. We have a very small school district but it is also very diverse. We loved the diversity and were thrilled our kids were able to grow up with children of different cultures. 

I really think an unspoken reason for these fundies to homeschool is to keep their kids away from the kids they consider riff raff. I suspect, with some, that reason actually trumps the whole religious excuse. 

Therefore, to sink to Lori's snotty levels, if these parents are too lazy and dumb to seek out a proper public school where "God is allowed," well, that is one of their many shortcomings. 

16 minutes ago, refugee said:

And everyone who can do basic math is obviously equipped to teach themselves calculus!

Lindy Johnson is either gifted in math and does not have the imagination to realize not everyone else is, or her kids have not yet encountered algebra.

Yeah, that comment caught my eye, too. I'm moderately good with math; it wasn't my easiest subject, but I did fairly well in advanced math classes through pre-calculus/trigonometry. When I got to calculus, my brain kind of exploded. I had other things going wrong that year, but I think calculus would still have been a struggle, even if my life hadn't been falling apart. If/when my kids get to that level of math, I will be lining up my older sister and my nieces who are good at math as tutors:kitty-wink:

I hate how Lindy has decided already what her girls will be. I am absolutely not knocking women choosing to stay home (although they should be educated IMO), or those that choose to homeschool, etc. What I have issue with is the deciding for. It completely ignores any gifts or talents her daughters may have, completely removes independence, free will, and choice, and promotes a cycle of low education as well as the potential for oppression. And it’s such a complete double standard for boys. 

I can’t imagine telling my smart, feisty, independent daughter that her only choice is to stay home and raise children and submit to her husband. It goes against everything I have worked to cultivate in her and quite frankly it pisses me off. 

I can't wait to read Lindy's reply to Rachelle.

He also learned at the temple. Have you not studied the customs of the time and how young Jewish boys were educated in those times? ...

Jewish boys did not solely study under their parents. Study the culture of the time.

You're Your turn, Lindy. :my_biggrin:

6 minutes ago, Frog99 said:

I hate how Lindy has decided already what her girls will be. I am absolutely not knocking women choosing to stay home (although they should be educated IMO), or those that choose to homeschool, etc. What I have issue with is the deciding for. It completely ignores any gifts or talents her daughters may have, completely removes independence, free will, and choice, and promotes a cycle of low education as well as the potential for oppression. And it’s such a complete double standard for boys. 

I can’t imagine telling my smart, feisty, independent daughter that her only choice is to stay home and raise children and submit to her husband. It goes against everything I have worked to cultivate in her and quite frankly it pisses me off. 

I don't know what makes me madder, this mindset, or believing your kids (usually boys, but sometimes even the girls too!) can be anything they want to be, but then doing NOTHING to help them achieve ANYTHING in life.  "How is your son gojng to earn enough to support a family on his own without a good education?"  is an excellent question for these people.

I agree that the no God in school is inaccurate. 

Our schools also allow meet me at the flag. My kiddos say grace before they eat lunch. A friend’s daughter is very gifted musically and sings in the school concert choir. For midterms, she sang “Oceans” by Hillsong in front of the class. She’s a very popular girl who is very open with her faith. No one has shut her up and I know she has planted so many seeds in her high school career.

Typical response!! The bible is also silent on women bloggers. 

noidea learned at temple.PNG

A woman says her son has disabilities so she takes advantage of the public school resources. Lindy says no excuse, you should still homeschool. 

Good lord she is ignorant. How can you be a bible teacher if you don't care about the culture and customs of biblical times? How can you understand the Bible without this knowledge? 

la22618e.JPG.2c24cceff712200f222c5fca3d285775.JPG

Also...Lori's children all received an education beyond high school. Both of her sons went to college and either received or are receiving graduate education. But all her readers...their sons don't need educated. 

Actually, Holly, they kinda do have educations in the all the subjects they teach. Education programs require elementary teachers to have multiple college courses in English, Mathematics (Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry even), Science (Physics, Biology, and Chemistry), History (World and US and geography), Art, Music, Physical Education and Health, and much more. Elementary teachers do not just read from books and hand out worksheets and tests. That's a huge insult to all elementary school teachers. They work their ass off from dawn to dusk creating curriculum units and projects and handling discipline and needs for 20-30 children every day. THey are awesome people. Don't be disrespecting all the teachers. You, Holly, could never do their job. Guarantee you'd flip your lid and run the first day. You will never be as awesome as those teachers you have dared to dishonor in your own pride. Pride is a sin, Holly. 

To add...Lori's kids were great at teaching themselves because she could not be arsed to bother teaching them. Thankfully, for their sake, they were barely homeschooled and actually got an education from people who could be bothered to actually teach them. 

To conclude...How long will Rebeccah's comment last? 

12 minutes ago, dairyfreelife said:

To add...Lori's kids were great at teaching themselves because she could not be arsed to bother teaching them. Thankfully, for their sake, they were barely homeschooled and actually got an education from people who could be bothered to actually teach them. 

Exactly.  And how much could Lori teach them, even if she did put forth any real effort?  She has proudly announced 'I can’t remember anything that I learned in college. I didn’t like any of my classes. I can’t remember any of my professors.' 

'Always Learning,' my ass.  

Lori: "Most children were taught by their parents throughout all of history." 

Wrong, Lori. Oh, so wrong. Yes, children learned a great deal from their parents. But many, many children were sent to school, even way back in the medieval era and as far back as Greek and Roman times. William Shakespeare went to school. Laura Ingalls went to school, even though--gasp!--her mother was a teacher and could have taught her at home (which of course she did, but she insisted on school for her girls as well; it's probably the main reason Charles Ingalls finally settled down in De Smet after years of wandering around the country). Those schools may have looked different from our schools today, and children didn't attend for as many years as they do now, and they certainly weren't compulsory, but they were still schools, and children left their homes to attend them. And brace yourself for this one--some of what we would today call early elementary schools were taught by WOMEN. :my_biggrin:

You really did waste your father's money, didn't you? I'm sure he's so proud of you. What the hell did you do in college, anyway? You certainly didn't learn anything, and somehow I don't think it was the school's fault. :roll:

In High School I attended some FCA meetings before classes. I also did "see you at the pole." I also took a Bible as Lit class with an outspoken Christian teacher, she did teach the material very well but let students know she was a Christian. My church at the time used the high school gym for large Christian events. Kids also sang worship songs for the talent show.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived