IGNORED

Lina's back!!!!

helloemi

Do we know for a fact that AJ and LIna are affiliated with Beit Shalom? I was going through some of her older entries last night and I think I saw one where she mentions meeting with a "rabbi" in his home. I wondered if it was AJ's boss at the e-book place.

I'm the one who mentioned Beit Shalom. Lina's liked several of their updates on Facebook, and the administrator shared a Breslev link that Lina had posted, so it seems reasonable to assume some sort of affiliation.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What Lina is doing would be like me saying, "You know, I just love the Amish lifestyle. I think I'm going to be all Amish up in here and start dressing plain, making shoo-fly pie and driving a buggy. I'm, like, totally Amish! Except I love TV, and my cell phone. So I'm going to keep on using those. But I still get to be Amish, right." Um, no.

Excellent analogy. "But I know LOTS of Amish people who own a Wii and a laptop! And their bishops are totes cool with that!" Yeah. No.

"But I know LOTS of Amish people who own a Wii and a laptop! And their bishops are totes cool with that!" Yeah. No.

:lol: Thanks for that, I needed the laugh. Between that, the LOLLinas and the, "I hope she steps on a Lego," this thread is turning into a gold mine.

Though in fairness, we should probably thank Lina, seeing as how every thread about her stretches on for pages and pages. If nothing else, she gives us plenty to discuss.

I'm not Pomology, but I'll take a crack at this one. Christianity is kind of in a weird place, theologically speaking, when looked at through the lens of Jewish spirituality. The rabbis did actually discuss whether Christianity is a violation of the Noachide Laws/prohibition of polytheism, and the conclusion they drew is that for people who are born and raised Christian, it is not, because they believe that they worship one god, not three. The attitude they seem to take is, "Well, it makes no sense to us, but they believe it, and most wouldn't know any different, so G-d isn't going to punish them for that." However, a Jewish person who decides to chuck Judaism and become a Christian is in violation and would be considereed a heretic, an idolater, et cetera, the idea being that they've been taught the "truth" and are knowingly ignoring it. Whether the rabbis adoped the position they did regarding Christians out of a sense of survival and political expediency, I'll leave up to the reader.

and how about the animal thing? If I eat oysters (that are alive when I eat them) are they considered animals? Is it related to any meat that has been cut and then packaged (no way to know if it was truly dead when it was cut unfortunately)?

I'm the one who mentioned Beit Shalom. Lina's liked several of their updates on Facebook, and the administrator shared a Breslev link that Lina had posted, so it seems reasonable to assume some sort of affiliation.

Sounds reasonable. I also noticed that she put the quote about lashon hora, which she said on her blog is from a book her "Orthodox friend" loaned her, on Facebook. And a woman with the same last name as AJ's boss commented "Yay! You're reading it". So the "Orthodox" friend is most likely another fauxJew.

What Lina is doing would be like me saying, "You know, I just love the Amish lifestyle. I think I'm going to be all Amish up in here and start dressing plain, making shoo-fly pie and driving a buggy. I'm, like, totally Amish! Except I love TV, and my cell phone. So I'm going to keep on using those. But I still get to be Amish, right." Um, no.

What's funny/scary is that there are some people who totally do that.

And also try to do the Amish/Messianic Jew combination. Which becomes...interesting.

What's funny/scary is that there are some people who totally do that.

And also try to do the Amish/Messianic Jew combination. Which becomes...interesting.

Wasn't there one episode on TLC featuring a family like that? They dressed "plain" and named their kids after Fiddler on the Roof but were really not amish or jewish.

My husband and I are acquainted with many believers in Yeshua who have successfully undergone Orthodox conversion with a non-Messianic beit din.

If she means she knows people who, while maintaining a belief that Jesus was moshiach, converted under Orthodox auspices that is repugnant.

I guess she could mean she knows people who converted under Orthodox auspices, and then decided to believe that Jesus was moshiach? That seems less obnoxious to me (and certainly less deceitful).

and how about the animal thing? If I eat oysters (that are alive when I eat them) are they considered animals? Is it related to any meat that has been cut and then packaged (no way to know if it was truly dead when it was cut unfortunately)?

I'm pretty sure that the oyster issue would mean that you are not following the Noahide laws and therefore will not, according to traditional Jewish theology, be rewarded in the world to come. But since you don't believe in traditional Jewish theology, that's not really a big deal. I think it only refers to eating things while they are still alive, so unless you bite into something that is living, it doesn't matter if it was alive when it was packaged or was alive when you started cooking it as long as it is dead when you put it in your mouth.

So, I've skipped a few pages of this thread, but when I read Lina's most recent post I was screaming in my head:

IF YOU BELIEVE THERE HAS BEEN A MESSIAH YOU ARE NOT JEWISH!!!

Touch your husband, don't touch your husband, say all the Hebrew buzzwords you want to, but YOU. ARE. NOT. A. JEW.

If you want to convert, more power to you. I don't care if you want to be ultra-Orthodox, I don't care if you want to be Reformed and only go to temple on Yom Kippur. But if you believe that Jesus is the Messiah...

YOU ARE NOT JEWISH!!!

I wonder what a "nighttime kippa" looks like, and how it differs from a day time one? I'm picturing an old-timey night cap with stars of David all over it and edged with tzitzit.

I was thinking that now she's trying to mix Judaism with A Visit From St. Nicholas!

sprangfrommybed.jpg

Modern technology has given us delay cycles on dishwashers and washing machines. No need to turn the power on or off. My oven (GE) has a sabbath mode. I can slap food in there set the time and voila it takes care of business without me lighting an evil electric spark.

In my parents day, sabbath goys would turn lights on and off for Jews, now we have electric timers. Actually observing the sabbath today is a lot less problematic , than it was before electric power and Jews were banking fires for cooking and heat. I know affluent Jews who have two ovens, two stoves, and two dishwashers, and timers set on everything.

Last Saturday afternoon I was coming home from the store and drove by the local Chabad synagouge and down the street there was a man and boy wearing a kippah, a woman in long sleeves and a scarf and a hispanic nanny pushing the pram so the wife didn't have to work on Sabbath. I would imagine she does all the cooking on Saturday so the wife doesn't have to break shabbas.

I can't take credit for it, though I wish I was that clever. It's a common form of ill-wishing on another forum I frequent.

Good post, bro.

I'd like to 2nd whoever said thank you to all the Jewish (and non Jewish!) people who have contributed info to this thread. Most interesting and enlightening.

Guest Anonymous

Good post, bro.

Clearly someone needs to take a little trip to knowyourmeme. Sadly you must not be aware of all internet traditions, as this is an inappropriate usage.

Clearly someone needs to take a little trip to knowyourmeme. Sadly you must not be aware of all internet traditions, as this is an inappropriate usage.

Strange, since I'm supposed to know everything about everything. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I'll try to do better next time bro.

Flora, who or what is your avatar? I have to say, it gives me the creeps.

Looks like Hugh Laurie in drag...

Just looking at him makes me happy :D

So, I've skipped a few pages of this thread, but when I read Lina's most recent post I was screaming in my head:

And this, Lina writes on her blog:

Every month when I become a niddah, my husband and I separate for a total of 12-14 days (depending on the length of bleeding). We observe the laws of harchakot during this time which means we avoid touching each other, even going so far as to setting items down on a surface rather than passing them directly to each other. At the end of the 12-14 days, I immerse in a natural body of water followed by a recitation of the tevilah brachah.

Didn't she just get married, like on 9/20? So she hasn't even had a full cycle yet. Jeeze, depending on when her period was she may not even have had sex yet.

I sent her an email a few weeks ago and asked her how you can be Jewish and Christian, and which was she. She replied she was Jewish. She's not, in my book anyway.

And this, Lina writes on her blog:

Didn't she just get married, like on 9/20? So she hasn't even had a full cycle yet. Jeeze, depending on when her period was she may not even have had sex yet.

I sent her an email a few weeks ago and asked her how you can be Jewish and Christian, and which was she. She replied she was Jewish. She's not, in my book anyway.

Don't you have to be completely nude for the mikveh to be valid, even if it's in a natural body of water? I would love to know where Lina is going skinny dipping.

Does anyone know how other messianic Jews reconcile this? I am so curious.

The Messianic Jew that I know is a real Jew who went Messianic. He believes that Jesus is not God, but rather the Messiah by Jewish definition, and that the Messianic Age will come with the second coming. He does not believe that we have been released from our obligation to abide by Torah law, but maybe this is because the second coming is not here?

I'm not sure how he reconciles the fact that Jesus does not fit the Messianic prophesies. I am friends more with his wife, and he is a typical haredi Jew in that he minimizes contact with unrelated women like me. I might ask her; I am a little bit curious.

They no longer attend an Orthodox temple because of their beliefs, but they don't go to a Messianic temple, maybe because of the trinity issue. That is just my speculation.

Last Saturday afternoon I was coming home from the store and drove by the local Chabad synagouge and down the street there was a man and boy wearing a kippah, a woman in long sleeves and a scarf and a hispanic nanny pushing the pram so the wife didn't have to work on Sabbath. I would imagine she does all the cooking on Saturday so the wife doesn't have to break shabbas.

That is what we call a Sabbath goy. Wealthy Jews who did not want to be inconvenienced by Sabbath law used to hire non-Jews to work for them at these times. Non-Jews are not bound by the law, so I don't see it as a big deal although it rubs me the wrong way a bit. My stepfather was raised this way. His family's maids worked Tues-Sat.

Archived