IGNORED

Lina's back!!!!

helloemi

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do all Jews speak Yiddish?

No, only those who have family origins in Eastern Europe. And nowadays, fewer and fewer of those speak it.

No, not at all! It is a language that developed in Europe, so many Ashkenazi Jews speak it. I know some Yiddish, but my family is Mizrachi Jewish (from Asia) and there are also the Sephardim.

Among modern Jews, Yiddish is often seen as a less classy language. I don't know how else to put it. Hebrew is preferred in most circles and it is the language of prayers and services pretty much universally. I like Yiddish because it is very colorful and easier to learn and pronounce than Hebrew.

No, only those who have family origins in Eastern Europe. And nowadays, fewer and fewer of those speak it.

So, adding Yiddish phrases to blog posts is not really a great idea if you're a Texan of Mexican descent?

And emmie what I know about Yiddish is that it is truly a "living" language.... seems exciting to me!

In the comments to the Mrs Lina D's most recent blog post, TT tries to convince yet another knowledgable Jew that he's wrong about them. TT states, "You would be rather hard pressed to find even one instance throughout Paulina's blog where we literally describe ourselves as being Jewish . . . What is it that my wife and I practice? Judaism! Judaism according its proper Halachah. We understand the fact that we are Gentile, which has its implications in Halachah, but we acknowledge these factors and just Take Care of Business!" Seems Azaria/TT is singing a different song today.

DenverYid:

Lina, I feel for you, it hurts being attacked privately, let alone in the public forum of the internet.

But I understand those who have voiced strong criticism, myself among them, animated to stand up for kavod shamayim when we feel it is being very seriously assaulted (even if unintentionally).

I'm trying to be kind in offering the following. What "pushes our buttons", so to speak, is your insistence in calling yourself Jewish. Imagine from our perspective for a second: How brazen and condescending for an outsider to our faith to come and proclaim loyalty to our faith while simultaneously embracing a doctrine that is utterly contrary to everything our faith believes and hold sacred. If it weren't so downright offensive to our sensibilities, it would border on the comically absurd.

I think you'll find that if you call yourself "believers in Yeshua", "Messianic Christians", or something along these lines, you will not encounter this hostility.

I know several Christians who love the Jewish people and try to incorporate some of our traditions into their faith. They love the faith and culture of Jesus. Understandable. They're good people, a few among them personal friends, and we have no problem with them, because they call themselves what they are... Christians. You seem disenfranchised from mainstream Christianity. Fine, so don't call yourself Christian. But PLEASE, PLEASE don't call yourself Jewish, either. Yes, it's a free country, but that doesn't make it right, ethical, or accurate.

I hope this has been helpful, sincerely, wishing you and your husband only the best

Azaria a.k.a. TT:

Shalom Mr. Denver,

I am Paulina's husband. I just wanted to say that I appreciate the fact that you chose to take a more reasonable and "Discussion Friendly" approach to your second comment :) Thank you for being reasonable! I respect that a lot.

I would like to point out, however, that you would be rather hard pressed to find even one instance throughout Paulina's blog where we literally describe ourselves as being Jewish. You may find one potential instance where we got a little crazy or rushed and failed to clarify who we are, but we do NOT make a habit of telling people that we are Jewish.

To be sure, I actually do have some Jewish ancestry both on my Father's side and my Mother's side of our family; however, it is not enough to render my siblings and I as Jewish according to Halachah. I'm sure you are familiar with these types of intricacies.

So... what is it that my family practices? What is it that my wife and I practice? Judaism! Judaism according its proper Halachah. We understand the fact that we are Gentile, which has its implications in Halachah, but we acknowledge these factors and just Take Care of Business! The Holy One, Blessed is He, has blessed us incredibly for seeking him with all of our strength, and I have never seen a happier, more united family in my entire life.

Allow me to state a question. What about believing in Mashiack is SO strictly against everything that Judaism stands for? Perhaps the reason that you wrote this in your first post, in reference to Ye'shua, is because you do not apply yourself to understand what our beliefs actually entail. If that is indeed the case then permit me to describe them for you here in brevity:

HaShem is One. Judaism is the Truth. Rabbi Mosheh ben Maimon's 13 principals of faith. Torah Shebe'al Peh. Anything beyond this is simply the tradition of our sect of Judaism. One of these traditions within our sect is that Ye'shua is the Mashiack.

...There is much more to be said, sir, but I hope that the things I have written are comprehensible and clear. If they are not it is because I am at work and trying to write this as fast as possible :)

Have an easy fast, V'Shalom Aleichem

Frum is the Yiddish term for religiously observant. Basically the polar opposite of secularized Jews. I guess Lina is trying to be frum, but that sounds so strange.

Can I just go off topic for a minute?

Because Lina and Frum have been on my mind since she reappeared. Whenever I think about Lina and Frum, all I can think of is John Frum cargo cults ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Frum )

These are basically a Pacific island religion type things centered around recreating the look of WWII US or British Army airstrips--from a distance it probably mostly looks the same but the materials are different and the reasons for doing the same things are not the same at all, and so in they kind of look like actual airbases but they aren't at all. Kind of like looking Jewish and doing traditional Jewish things, but...

So, in my goofy mind anyway, sure, Lina's Frum--John Frum that is...

Though he's still an ass, I think that comment might be the least obnoxious TT has ever been. At least he's trying to engage in conversation and asks questions.

Can I just go off topic for a minute?

Because Lina and Frum have been on my mind since she reappeared. Whenever I think about Lina and Frum, all I can think of is John Frum cargo cults ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Frum )

These are basically a Pacific island religion type things centered around recreating the look of WWII US or British Army airstrips--from a distance it probably mostly looks the same but the materials are different and the reasons for doing the same things are not the same at all, and so in they kind of look like actual airbases but they aren't at all. Kind of like looking Jewish and doing traditional Jewish things, but...

So, in my goofy mind anyway, sure, Lina's Frum--John Frum that is...

Continuing OT: I have been fascinated with the Cargo Cults for a very long time. I want somebody to make a movie about the movement.

So, adding Yiddish phrases to blog posts is not really a great idea if you're a Texan of Mexican descent?

And emmie what I know about Yiddish is that it is truly a "living" language.... seems exciting to me!

I think Yiddish is a really fun language! My stepfather is Ashkenazi Jew, so I know a lot of it. I love the creative cursing. There are so many plays on words and such.

But Lina, if she were Jewish, would be Sephardic Jew. They sometimes speak a language called Ladino (sp?) which is basically a Yiddish that evolved in Latin countries instead of Eastern European ones.

TT states in the comments ".....hard pressed to find even one instance throughout Paulina's blog where we literally describe ourselves as being Jewish"

But here is the thing: Lina titles the Oct 4 post "our JEWISH faith"

I love this. I hope she does not flounce.

I think Yiddish is a really fun language! My stepfather is Ashkenazi Jew, so I know a lot of it. I love the creative cursing. There are so many plays on words and such.

But Lina, if she were Jewish, would be Sephardic Jew. They sometimes speak a language called Ladino (sp?) which is basically a Yiddish that evolved in Latin countries instead of Eastern European ones.

Ladino is basically medieval Spanish with some Hebrew thrown in. There are also a handful of other Hebrew hybrids like Ladino and Yiddish that have unfortunately died out. Some way way way before the Holocaust. I'm talking, like medieval days. :( There was a Judeo Portugese, a Jewish Italian blend, and a Jewish French hybrid.

Languages fascinate me. My personal favorite of all the ones i've dabbled in (and I will freely admit, I am a language dabbler!) is Yiddish. What I love about it is, that if you speak German yes you can understand the words but its VERY colloquial. "Nischt getoygan un nischt gefloygan" literally means "it didn't jump up and it didn't fly", basically the Yiddish equal to "BULLSHIT". But there's also a hidden blasphemy in there. It didn't jump up and it didn't fly is also a reference to the supposed resurrection of Jesus. The books Born to Kvetch and its companion "Just say Nu" are an awesome starting point to the how shall we say, culture of the Yiddish language. In it the author calls Yiddish "German to spite the Germans" or something like that. :D

Edited because of grammar fail. I hate having the flu.

TT states in the comments ".....hard pressed to find even one instance throughout Paulina's blog where we literally describe ourselves as being Jewish"

Just because the club is hard to enter does not mean you can't have the same beliefs...

Just because the club is hard to enter does not mean you can't have the same beliefs...

That got me too at first. But then he might be technically right... it doesn't say THEY are Jewish. It says their FAITH is Jewish. Or to put it another way, they aren't "Jewish" but they do "practice Judaism". On the other hand I still wonder if it's true, or if they indeed have accidentally called themselves "Jewish" at some point in the blog.

I love languages. It took me forever too realise that frum is related to from which in Danish (another Germanic language and my native language) means devout. I couldn't really connect the dots, but now I see links from Yiddish to other Germanic languages all the time.

Considering they'd blocked they blog from search engines and it is no longer being cached anywhere, we'll just have to take his word for it that she never claimed to be Jewish.

However, I think the comment from Denver Yid applies equally to their repeated statements that they are pursuing (now they say "might pursue) conversion. I find it still equally offensive to hold onto Jesus until that last possible second, just in case.

That got me too at first. But then he might be technically right... it doesn't say THEY are Jewish. It says their FAITH is Jewish. Or to put it another way, they aren't "Jewish" but they do "practice Judaism". On the other hand I still wonder if it's true, or if they indeed have accidentally called themselves "Jewish" at some point in the blog.

My response that probably will not be approved: Lina says "We are converts" on the About page, but I've seen it stated elsewhere that "we are Jewish." Using the phrase "literally describe" sounds like purposefully avoiding calling yourselves that, but getting just close enough to not get in trouble. There are many ways to say things in the English language, and the meaning is often clear here. There's a difference between being honest and being well-trained in PR.

I love Ladino. Even though I'm Ashkenazi, I find Ladino much more meaningful than Yiddish. But that's because I speak Spanish. I've come to feel more connected to Yiddish since I learned (an incredibly minimal amount of) German.

I love languages. It took me forever too realise that frum is related to from which in Danish (another Germanic language and my native language) means devout. I couldn't really connect the dots, but now I see links from Yiddish to other Germanic languages all the time.

I love this comment, because languages are the best and connecting dots between languages is my most favorite hobby ever. I remember in my German class and we learned that "Die Wand" meant wall and I suddenly realized that I already knew that because when I told my grandparents I was bored they would always reply, "Gai shlog dein kup en vant!" which means "Go hit your head on the wall!" in Yiddish.

But, from what I understand, they don't have the same beliefs...isn't that what this whole kerfluffle is about?

Lina's spineless. She gets "insulted" on her blog and shuts down the post because it isn't all rainbows and butterflies when she states contradictory information and gets called on it. And they DO call themselves Jewish. TT is a moron. I would love to post a comment on that blog stating "AJ, I think you're an idiot"; not to be a troll but because all words fail me when it comes to them.

They both sound like broken records, spitting back information to try to back up the asinine things they say. Just because I know every song by the Who, can play a mean guitar and do "Love Reign O'er Me" in the shower doesn't make me Pete Townshend. Just sayin'.

Skylar (crazyjewishconvert) has replied to questions about why it even matters that Lina and TT would try to go through with a Jewish conversion while hiding their Christianity. Excellent and really well-thought-out post on why and how people like Lina and TT can and do affect what all converts have to go through in order to convert to Judaism.

crazyjewishconvert.blogspot.com/2011/10/why-insincere-conversion-candidates.html

(edited for riffles and incomplete thoughts)

In general I don't care what anyone believes and don't think there have to be rules applied to belief. I don't practice any religion or believe in any god and I get pretty irritated with people who tell me I'm doing it wrong, whether my not believing is wrong or the way I don't believe is wrong doesn't matter.

What bothers me about Lina and people like her is that they can't just say 'this is what we believe' and leave it at that. They have to claim to 'be' something, and in doing so, they bastardize elements of faith and culture that are crucial to a large population. If they want to believe as Jews believe and practice some Jewish traditions, fine, have at it, whatever works. But don't claim you are an Orthodox Jew when you aren't; when you haven't studied or converted or taken on the rest of Jewish faith & life.

I know nothing about Judaism. I do know that my friend's daughter converted. It took a couple of years. She lived in Israel for a year at seminary. I'm not sure what that was other than further study. She married her boyfriend there. She had to come back to the US this summer for some reason or another in order to complete the process of not only converting but of becoming an Israeli citizen, which just became official last week. She started this process in October of 2009 when she & her boyfriend decided to get married. THEY waited until they were in the conversion process and studied. In June of 2010 they moved to Israel and got married in November 2010. They didn't hurry their wedding for the sex. They were sexually active before deciding to convert so they cut it all off through the process and survived. Because it was what they sincerely wanted and worked for.

I see people like Lina who don't take a damn thing seriously other than their own ideas and it irritates me. Whatever you are going to do in life, do it right, not half assed. And for god's sake, don't offend others and make ridiculous claims in the process.

The thing with Lina is that she actually seems to be SHOCKED that anyone might find her calling herself Jewish offensive. TT seems a little more aware - maybe because he's been raised some strain of Messianic? Who the hell knows. But this girl has had to be SERIOUSLY sheltered from the big wide world if she thinks putting on a headscarf and adopting some traditions without really understanding them is the same as converting to a religion....and that everyone is going to be just A-okay with that.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Lina has ever met an actual Jewish person in real life.

Guest Anonymous
Skylar (crazyjewishconvert) has replied to questions about why it even matters that Lina and TT would try to go through with a Jewish conversion while hiding their Christianity. Excellent and really well-thought-out post on why and how people like Lina and TT can and do affect what all converts have to go through in order to convert to Judaism.

crazyjewishconvert.blogspot.com/2011/10/why-insincere-conversion-candidates.html

(edited for riffles and incomplete thoughts)

I have been fascinated by this thread and am very grateful for the education about Judaism.

I enjoyed reading Skylar's earlier posts, but have to say that I am somewhat lost reading this one... it reads to me like a lot of confused and almost paranoid rambling. Statistically significant conclusions from anecdotal evidence - what's that about?

Archived