IGNORED

Lina's back!!!!

helloemi

Guest Anonymous

Just looking at him makes me happy :D

I didn't realize he was House, (long story but Hubby didn't watch any current TV, all crime reruns). Now Laurie and Fry and Blackadder and Whooster and Jeeves, were all work of his I thoroughly enjoyed.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the observant Jews that I know (not so much "know," but have encountered) are more well off than Lina & AJ, so... I don't know how plausible this stuff is for them.

You can get an oven with "Sabbath mode," which will turn on to heat food at a preset time. Also, people use timers on lights so they go on and off at preset times.

When I was in Israel I stayed with an Orthodox family. They did not have timers in the guest bedroom, toes were stubbed. Also, they did not pre-rip toilet paper in the guest bathroom, it got a little awkward when the roll ran out. The toddler in the home may have found himself minus some baby wipes.

And, we couldn't use the elevator, because pushing the elevator button = electricity = fire = work. But walking up the stairs to the 14th floor, that's Shabbat leisure activity.

Some apartment buildings with lots of Orthodox Jews put the elevator in "Shabbat mode." The elevator stops at every floor on the way up and every floor on the way down. It takes forever, but it doesn't require pushing any buttons.

Both my oven and my fridge have a Sabbath/Shabbot mode. I have no idea why the fridge does, and I can't find the manual.

Edited because I am not sure of the correct spelling.

So, can you move stuff from the fridge to the oven on Shabbat, or is that considered work, too? Seems that food left in a cold oven overnight and the cooked the next day could be dangerous.

This is a really fascinating thread. I really like learning about other cultures/religions.

What is "davening"? Is that prayer? And do Jews have a prayerbook that they use, like Orthodox and Catholic (and some Protestant) Christians? Are there specific prayers before meals, before sleep, etc? If so, who wrote the prayers - or are they just passed down through the generations? Do they vary by type of practice (Reform, Orthodox, Conservative)?

Finally, when Jewish folks talk about modesty - wearing headcoverings, etc - is that something that is expected at all times, or just when one is in public? I seem to recall that Anna T. talked about having her head uncovered at home in front of her husband. Can you uncover your head or have bare arms/legs at home around your children?

Guest Anonymous
Both my oven and my fridge have a Sabbath/Shabbot mode. I have no idea why the fridge does, and I can't find the manual.

Edited because I am not sure of the correct spelling.

My fridge had it. I think its used to turn on a turbo cool, like when you put stuff directly in from the oven to get the temps dropped quickly to safe levels.

Now it makes me wonder about observant Jews who have propane refrigerators.

So, can you move stuff from the fridge to the oven on Shabbat, or is that considered work, too? Seems that food left in a cold oven overnight and the cooked the next day could be dangerous.

This is a really fascinating thread. I really like learning about other cultures/religions.

What is "davening"? Is that prayer? And do Jews have a prayerbook that they use, like Orthodox and Catholic (and some Protestant) Christians? Are there specific prayers before meals, before sleep, etc? If so, who wrote the prayers - or are they just passed down through the generations? Do they vary by type of practice (Reform, Orthodox, Conservative)?

Finally, when Jewish folks talk about modesty - wearing headcoverings, etc - is that something that is expected at all times, or just when one is in public? I seem to recall that Anna T. talked about having her head uncovered at home in front of her husband. Can you uncover your head or have bare arms/legs at home around your children?

Yep, daven is the Yiddish word for pray.

Yes, Jews have a specific prayerbook called the siddur. There are variations between siddurim, but all the ones I've seen are surprisingly similar. I mean, yes the Reform siddur that I saw opened from left to right (Hebrew is read from right to left) and was chock full of English and skipped many prayers found in other siddurs, but it definitely wasn't totally different, either. Yep, there are specific prayers before meals, after meals, when you wake up in the morning... I'm not sure if there are any that you say specifically before bed. When I was little my parents had me say the shema (the most important Jewish prayer) before I went to bed each night and we also did that when I went to a Jewish sleepaway camp, but you are supposed to say it once in the morning and once in the evening, but I don't think it is specified that it has to be said before bed. Prayers have a variety of origins. Much of it is from the Bible. The ones that aren't are really, really old, anyway. There are a few modern prayers (like a prayer for your country and prayers for Israel), but most have been passed down for generations and generations. Which for me personally, is one of the few uses I have for prayer. That and their universality. It was so nice to go to a synagogue in Argentina and have it feel familiar because the same prayers are used. Prayers do vary by practice, although mostly what they vary in is length, completeness, and non-PC language. For example, the Orthodox version of a prayer known as Aleinu goes on about how non-Jews bow to emptiness and idols, where the conservative version just thanks God for choosing us and not placing our lot with other peoples. Still kind of offensive if you want to think about it that way (and sometimes I do, sometimes I don't), but less offensive than the Orthos.

I don't know that much about modesty, but I do know that Orthodox women (though I don't think all Modern Orthodox women adhere to this) cover their hair in public because only their husbands are supposed to see it.

Yep, learning about other cultures and religions is fascinating. I went to Catholic mass this summer with a Catholic co-intern and it was really interesting to observe as somebody who, despite not being isolated form the world the way in any way, pretty much grew up surrounded only by Jews.

Here's the thing, and I'm not Jewish so I don't know if this is offensive or not (if it is, I would actually want to know) but here's my deal:

If the meaning behind them "practicing" Orthodox Judaism was different, it wouldn't bother me. If they were like "Okay, the O.J. lifestyle is really appeasing to us so we are going to practice it but we in no way claim to be Jews, think the Jews are wrong, or that we are in any way right or superior", I think I would be fine with everything. Except that's not the case.

The case is, "We are right and superior to everyone else, including both Christians and Jews. We *are* Jews, just *super special superior* Jews and we 100% associate with the Jewish faith and are willingly to lie and scheme in order to be accepted into the Jewish faith".

That's my problem.

Someone asked above where Lina could possibly be immersing, since one goes into the mikveh nude but Lina has referred to the body of water she currently uses as a "swimming pool." This is pure speculation, but for what it's worth:

In Austin, where Lina reportedly lives, there is a pool, called Barton Springs, that is basically a natural rock quarry, fed exclusively by natural springs in the rocky bottom - all characteristics which may qualify it as a natural mikveh, though I'm sure Lina has not consulted a Rabbi specifically. Incidentally, topless bathing is allowed at this pool. Obviously, being topless in public is not modest, but if Lina is visiting the pool after dark and undressing under the water, no one would necessarily know what she was doing, and it would be quite easy to immerse quickly and then get dressed before leaving the water.

Considering Lina's comment about a "swimming pool," and the likelihood that she has at least a cursory awareness of the fact that a kosher mikveh requires water from a natural source, my best guess is that she is referring to this Barton Springs pool, which does function as a public pool, just a natural, unchlorinated one. Obviously, in light of the extremely short time she has been married, all of her claims about following the laws of family purity are suspect, but if there is any seed of truth to them, I could see this information being relevant.

Here's the thing, and I'm not Jewish so I don't know if this is offensive or not (if it is, I would actually want to know) but here's my deal:

If the meaning behind them "practicing" Orthodox Judaism was different, it wouldn't bother me. If they were like "Okay, the O.J. lifestyle is really appeasing to us so we are going to practice it but we in no way claim to be Jews, think the Jews are wrong, or that we are in any way right or superior", I think I would be fine with everything. Except that's not the case.

The case is, "We are right and superior to everyone else, including both Christians and Jews. We *are* Jews, just *super special superior* Jews and we 100% associate with the Jewish faith and are willingly to lie and scheme in order to be accepted into the Jewish faith".

That's my problem.

I'm a Jew, obviously, but I pretty much agree. I mean, it would still probably irk me if they were using Jewish ritual objects like toys, but I wouldn't think that were the offensive, douchy, dishonest morons that I think they are now.

I also say the Shema before bed. There's also a pretty bedtime prayer called B'shem Hashem, about being surrounded on all sides by angels and underneath the presence of the Shekhinah--the feminine presence of G-d. Yes, Jews do believe that G-d has male and female attributes.

For example, the Orthodox version of a prayer

There's also the prayer Orthodox men say where they thank G-d for "not making me a woman." Conservative and Reform siddurs cut that line out. I've also used Conservative egalitarian prayer books where the English translations try to be gender neutral. For example, they refer to G-d as a "Sovereign" instead of a "King."

Prayers before meals change depending on what you are eating. When I was in Hebrew school, they would have a contest where the oldest kids quizzed the youngest kids on what blessings ("brachot") are said over different foods. There is a different bracha depending on whether you are eating:

-wine

-bread

-baked goods other than bread

-fruit from trees

-vegetables from the ground

-anything that doesn't fit the above categories

And there are lots of nuances to remember. For example, if you are about to eat potato chips, you say the bracha for vegetables. However, if you are eating Pringles, you say the bracha for foods that don't fit the other categories, because the potato is mashed up beyond recognition.

We should have a series of threads...Ask a Jew, Ask a Catholic Ask an Athiest, etc... This way we can all learn about each other's faiths and customs.

I also say the Shema before bed. There's also a pretty bedtime prayer called B'shem Hashem, about being surrounded on all sides by angels and underneath the presence of the Shekhinah--the feminine presence of G-d. Yes, Jews do believe that G-d has male and female attributes.

There's also the prayer Orthodox men say where they thank G-d for "not making me a woman." Conservative and Reform siddurs cut that line out. I've also used Conservative egalitarian prayer books where the English translations try to be gender neutral. For example, they refer to G-d as a "Sovereign" instead of a "King."

Prayers before meals change depending on what you are eating. When I was in Hebrew school, they would have a contest where the oldest kids quizzed the youngest kids on what blessings ("brachot") are said over different foods. There is a different bracha depending on whether you are eating:

-wine

-bread

-baked goods other than bread

-fruit from trees

-vegetables from the ground

-anything that doesn't fit the above categories

And there are lots of nuances to remember. For example, if you are about to eat potato chips, you say the bracha for vegetables. However, if you are eating Pringles, you say the bracha for foods that don't fit the other categories, because the potato is mashed up beyond recognition.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that shit. There is a lot of weird wording in the Orthodox version of Birkot HaShachar (literally, blessings of the morning for you non-Jews). They thank God for not making them a goy, for not making them a slave, and for not making them a women. At my Conservative Jewish day school we replaced those with (and by replaced I mean we were told to cross out what was in our siddurim and write in the alternative) with thanking God for making us Jews, creating us as free, and for making us the way we are.

And Lizzy, that would be super cool.

My fridge had it. I think its used to turn on a turbo cool, like when you put stuff directly in from the oven to get the temps dropped quickly to safe levels.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. "Sabbath mode" prevents your refrigerator from activating or deactivating things -- like, say, a fan or light -- when you open and close the door.

I curious, if Tony and Lina can't touch for 12-14 days a month, do they sleep in seperate beds?

My partner and I have a queen bed and I don't think we could do a night without accidentally brushing up against one another in our sleep.

I curious, if Tony and Lina can't touch for 12-14 days a month, do they sleep in seperate beds?

My partner and I have a queen bed and I don't think we could do a night without accidentally brushing up against one another in our sleep.

I read recently that some couples have twin beds, they push them together during the safe times, apart the other times. I can't imagine how conducive that would be to conjugal activities, just saying. :o

I, too, am enjoying this thread but I wish I could find a pronunciation guide.

For instance, the way my brain reads "Lashon Hora" makes me think of a transvestite prostitute.

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. "Sabbath mode" prevents your refrigerator from activating or deactivating things -- like, say, a fan or light -- when you open and close the door.

Thanks for the info. I used Sabbath mode on my stove frequently, it was a boon when I was entertaining and other occupied.

I, too, am enjoying this thread but I wish I could find a pronunciation guide.

For instance, the way my brain reads "Lashon Hora" makes me think of a transvestite prostitute.

Hebrew words are written (obviously) in Hebrew. When rendered in the Latin alphabet, they are spelled phonetically. That's why you see lashon hora, lashon hara, etc. You are seeing the way that given person says it. It does sound a bit like a Maury guest now that I think about it. :) Arabic is the same way, which is why you see so many spellings for Muammar Khaddafi.

Wait...Wait..Wait!

Lina wrote this "Every month when I become a niddah, my husband and I separate for a total of 12-14 days (depending on the length of bleeding). We observe the laws of harchakot during this time which means we avoid touching each other, even going so far as to setting items down on a surface rather than passing them directly to each other."

They have only been married a few weeks!!!

Well...I shouldn't be surprised that she acts like a marriage expert after two weeks when she was acting like one before she even had a boyfriend. But every month? They haven't even been married a month.

Awww, and now we have to feel sorry for Lina because people were negative when she claimed to be an Orthodox Jew who believes in Jesus. Those big meanies, throwing reality and thousands of years of history and tradition in her face!

Comments closed - though worth reading. There's some people who really took her to task. Her responses were....well, pitiful. She's like a little girl playing dress-up. Putting on a white coat doesn't make me a doctor, honey, even if I tell people that it does.

Anybody here a screenwriter? Because this is something that needs to happen.

Archived