IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 6: Two Left Limping Along

Coconut Flan

On 5/1/2018 at 7:01 AM, MomKB said:

I'm a Christian, and my experience of God is not at ALL that he "dumps buckets of cold water" on my head. What kind of God are they following?

Sounds like the Drowned God from Game of Thrones, if I'm being honest.  

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, catlady said:

thanks, Kariina; that was fun!

ok, her retweet above has been bothering me all day; it's the bit about white privilege not existing.  so here's a tutorial to help our dear Charlotte/ModdyApple get her head out of her ass:  

Okay guys--what's the over/under on the longest conversation Charlotte has ever had with a person who is black? Ten minutes? 

Would you say there's a 50% chance she's never even had a conversation that consisted of more than pleasantries with any POC?

I'm sure glad a home schooled 18 year old with zero secondary education, no career, and probably a curfew could educate me about the essential, binary truths about gender, race in society, police brutality, fetal development, and the permeability of national borders. Silly little me thought they were complex issues with a lot of nuance.

Must be nice to be 18 and utterly convinced that you know the ultimate truth of everything in the world, and gosh darnit it is 100% black and white, right or wrong.  "Nuance"?  "Grey"?  Don't talk your hippy words at me, snowflake!  Also "nuance" sounds like it might be French, get out.

1 hour ago, dramallama said:

Must be nice to be 18 and utterly convinced that you know the ultimate truth of everything in the world, and gosh darnit it is 100% black and white, right or wrong.  "Nuance"?  "Grey"?  Don't talk your hippy words at me, snowflake!  Also "nuance" sounds like it might be French, get out.

I remember being 18 or 20 and so desperately wanting an ultimate answer to everything in the world, for everything to be black and white, right or wrong. The truly unfortunate thing is that Charlotte and her sisters have been raised to be poorly educated, to value ignorance, and to fear anything outside their little box. They have no motivation and no support from their family, community or culture to expand their horizons, to think critically, and to grow as people. They have no reason to ever grow out of their childish black-and-white ideology and into more well-rounded, compassionate, considerate, rational, and informed human beings. That's not to say it's impossible, but why change when it's so scary and everyone around you is reinforcing your prior beliefs anyway?

6 hours ago, catlady said:

ok, her retweet above has been bothering me all day; it's the bit about white privilege not existing.  ....snip....and that, Miss Boyer, is white privilege.  now take that knowledge and get yourself a fucking clue.

Sea Colt(13)  knows about both white and male privilege. As do the Sea Fillies (20 &16). Mr Wrangler never understood how much we as a family gained by being

1) white

2) highly educated ( he had a PhD)

3)married

when we went for landed immigrant and later for Canadian citizenship. We never had to prove we could understand French even though we live in Quebec.  A Haitian immigrant who worked at the same company had to prove he could speak , read and write in both official languages before he was granted LI status.

The part of that retweet that's really baffling me is the idea that you may care about either veterans or the children of immigrants but never both! You must choose one and cast the other aside forever!!

14 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

The part of that retweet that's really baffling me is the idea that you may care about either veterans or the children of immigrants but never both! You must choose one and cast the other aside forever!!

It's the same conundrum I feel with our fundies militant opposition to abortion and birth control. If you truly believe abortion is evil ( and I can say that with the empathy of formerly being pro-life.) Then wouldn't you recognize something like birth control being a necessary evil??? 

8 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

And some immigrants are vets!  WHAT THEN, CHARLOTTE?!  

C’mon, Charlotte may not need to worry about having a higher chance of getting shot by police or assumed to be a criminal because of her skin colour but she suffers just as much. She isn’t married! She had skinny jean angst! Priorities people.

Also immigrants and children of those who fled to another country? That Jesus dude was both at one stage. Leviticus 19 33-34. Malachi 3:5. I could go on. Stop crying Christian when you have such disregard for other people.

4 hours ago, jozina said:

C’mon, Charlotte may not need to worry about having a higher chance of getting shot by police or assumed to be a criminal because of her skin colour but she suffers just as much. She isn’t married! She had skinny jean angst! Priorities people.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Longtime lurker (5? 6 years? made an account for the Nauglers) but I feel like someone should point out that in her latest post Charlotte compares her curly hair "journey" to the Naural Hair Movement (granted she doesn't call it that). She doesn't acknowledge the complicated history of white-centered standards of beauty and centuries of discrimination that accompanies afro-textured natural hair. I don't even know most of it nor do I feel like I'm the person to talk about it at length. 

Look, Charlotte, I get it. I have white girl curly hair that nobody can cut well and I can't do anything with no matter what products I use. Partly because I don't have the time or money as I'm a full-time student with fieldwork and a job going on in my life. Thank God for updos and hair dryers on most days but that is an inconvenience for me. Nobody discriminates against my hair. Nobody discriminates against your hair. Talk about white privilege. 

5aeb28f8248dd_ScreenShot2018-05-03at8_11_39AM.png.1e335235d620148a69ba9cc63e3dfa0d.png

Am I way off base here? 

@mswhatsit, welcome!  We’re happy to have you here!  No, you are most certainly not way off base in pointing out Charlotte’s latest Post Of Obtuseness. So she thinks African American women have been changing their hair as a fashion statement?  Oh sweet Rufus.  Yesterday, @nausicaa guessed 50/50 odds that Charlotte has never had a real conversation with an African American woman; those odds just plummeted to about 10/90.  

This after she tweets that white privilege isn't real? Fuck you, Charlotte, you ignorant, bigoted, trollish little nitwit. And if you're reading this, I know this sounds harsh. And I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I also don't care. Because you have a CHOICE. You don't have to be an ignorant, bigoted, trollish little nitwit. Get over yourself, grow up, and wake up. You've been fed a steady diet of bullshit your entire life. If you don't understand why the things you're posting are so offensive, ignorant and wrong-headed, start educating yourself now. If you refuse to even begin to question or honestly reflect on these things, you are truly hopeless.

And guess what, dearie? It ain't gonna get any better from here. You're not going to get any younger or cuter. You're either going to end up married with a few kids and become one of those obnoxious moms on Facebook hawking MLM crap that everyone secretly despises, raising children who are just as ignorant and uneducated and foolish as you are, who will repeat the same meaningless cycle in their own lives and do nothing to benefit society or improve their own minds, just like Mom, or you will stay single and be pitied by the rest of your nice Christian friends, and become more and more ignored and overlooked as you leave your youth behind and become nothing but another third rate charlatan dreaming of her lost glory days and wondering what went wrong.

Have fun.

Holy shit. I just made the mistake of going through her Twitter. 

Did she seriously blog about her curly hair co-opting the Natural Hair Movement?!?!!

Also wtf is that tweet about her love language being brand identities. I have a screenshot but my mobile browser isn't letting me attach it.

I used to try to be nice. I'm done. "Aunty Lotta" really is an insufferable little nitwit.

Charlotte's like

fccbf3dd2669b315c00655186caaa817--sesame

Given that she apparently doesn't believe that white privilege exists, I doubt she understands what's at stake in the Natural Hair Movement at all...

There is so much humble bragging on the twitter I can't even begin...:5624798e9d94f_No-clue-man-no-clue-shurg:

Not surprised she doesn't believe in white privilege. The whole family seems to be on the intentionally clueless side. Gabe struggled with the idea that the history he loved might be white washed. 

8 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Gabe struggled with the idea that the history he loved might be white washed. 

True. He seemed to think that great costumes made up for any deficiencies in his knowledge of history.

The Boyer sisters' parents deserve the lion's share of responsibility for this situation. So far, the parents are 1 for 3 -- not a good advertisement for their Christianist approach to parenting.

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

The Boyer sisters' parents deserve the lion's share of responsibility for this situation. So far, the parents are 1 for 3 -- not a good advertisement for their Christianist approach to parenting.

One look at their father's Twitter shows the moddyapple hasn't fallen far from the tree.

I'm afraid I don't understand the hair issue, possibly because I have fine, thin, straight hair that I pretty much ignore.  I was in my 20's before I found out that afro-textured hair isn't cared for in the same way as caucasian hair.  I guess I assumed that all hair was pretty much wash and wear unless you started putting chemicals on it to color it, curl it, straighten it, or you had a fussy hairdo that had to be kept up.  

Like some people love to grow their nails long and have to put a lot of effort into growing them out, painting them, etc, and others just clip them off when they get too long.  

I assumed that hair was hair and although I knew that afro-textured hair was curlier or kinkier than caucasian hair, I figured that some people like to fuss more with their hair than others.

24 minutes ago, Flossie said:

I'm afraid I don't understand the hair issue, possibly because I have fine, thin, straight hair that I pretty much ignore.  I was in my 20's before I found out that afro-textured hair isn't cared for in the saxxxme way as caucasian hair.  I guess I assumed that all hair was pretty much wash and wear unless you started putting chemicals on it to color it, curl it, straighten it, or you had a fussy hairdo that had to be kept up.  

Like some people love to grow their nails long and have to put a lot of effort into growing them out, painting them, etc, and others just clip them off when they get too long.  

I assumed that hair was hair and although I knew that afro-textured hair was curlier or kinkier than caucasian hair, I figured that some people like to fuss more with their hair than others.

I learned about hair culture in the African-American community by watching the movie Good Hair. Chris goes in a lot of different directions but I still learned something. 

Black women have been told for generations that the natural state of their well-cared for and clean hair is dirty, unprofessional, and unkempt. This still occurs. They are practically forced into damaging, costly, and time consuming treatments to alter the texture of their hair to make it more palatable to the white gaze. The fact that many have turned this into an art and have gorgeously styled hair is a testament to ingenuity in the face of oppression.  Charlotte can go fuck herself with that white privilege. And frankly her hair looked better before.

16 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I'm afraid I don't understand the hair issue,

What @ladyamylynnsaid.

It is an intensely politicised issue.  It grew out of the concept that beauty was based on Eurocentric ideals.  And that natural African-American hair was intrinsically ugly and needed to be straightened by any means possible.  So Black Power activists controversally rocked their Afros.  Think Angela Davis.

ETA. Found an interesting article about how it is playing out today. http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/30536/1/the-problems-with-the-natural-hair-movement

And Charlotte, the gloves are off, you silly ignorant uneducated little twit.  

You need shaking out of your privileged white cocoon.

Charlotte has no idea the amount of work African American women have to put into their hair. We aren't talking about 30-45 minutes with a straightener, that would be a small amount of time. 

White Privilege does exist, Charlotte. Stop being so small minded and obtuse! It exists because of people like you, who want to keep other people down because of the colour of their skin. 

I agree that her hair looked better before. I have wavy/curly hair and I would much rather fight with a straightener every second day or braid my hair than deal with the waves. Wind guys, it makes knots! :P 

24 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

What @ladyamylynnsaid.

It is an intensely politicised issue.  It grew out of the concept that beauty was based on Eurocentric ideals.  And that natural African-American hair was intrinsically ugly and needed to be straightened by any means possible.  So Black Power activists controversally rocked their Afros.  Think Angela Davis.

ETA. Found an interesting article about how it is playing out today. http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/30536/1/the-problems-with-the-natural-hair-movement

And Charlotte, the gloves are off, you silly ignorant uneducated little twit.  

You need shaking out of your privileged white cocoon.

I learned in Good Hair how intensely painful relaxers are, every single time. They can cause chemical burns. They are used in young children, I'm spite of the risk. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived