IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 1: Here We Go Again

Coconut Flan

Every time we discuss the future of Fundie women (teens), I am reminded of the Rodgers and Hammerstein show "Carousel." If you aren't familiar with the show, Mill worker Julie Jordan and semi-employed carnival barker/grifter Billy Bigelow impulsively marry and things...don't end well for them. Meanwhile, Julie's friend, Carrie Pipperidge marries the enterprising Enoch Snow who takes care of her financially and appears to really love her. Nonetheless, Carrie ends up the mother to 8+ children in a society that ultimately values women as baby makers. Enoch Snow is still a man who wants a meek, mild wife who doesn't want his wife interacting with other men. In this world yes, Carrie is better off with a man who provides but "Carousel" is set in the late 1800s. What's jarring about Fundie women is that they seem to be living out these plot lines in 2018. 

I think Fundie Men like Chad and Kelton remind me of Enoch Snow. They have real jobs, are enterprising, and seem to really care for the women in their lives. But, at the end of the day, they don't value the agency or individuality of any woman (even the ones they claim to love.) 

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t know if I believe that. I think That if the women rebelled, the men would leave the cult. Well. Some of them. I think the women are way more complicit in this than we want to believe.  I think they like it. Some of them might get a dud, like Jill or Anna Duggar, though, and then they’re miserable. 

Or as my grandmother once said... why do you want to go to law school? You’ll always have to work.

Callie just said in the facebook live that "its sad that Josie will not experience being the oldest daughter at home since she will marry before".

1 minute ago, llucie said:

Callie just said in the facebook live that "its sad that Josie will not experience being the oldest daughter at home since she will marry before".

I think she's a little kid so you can't really take what she says seriously. she is parroting what others have said and we even have heard Carlin say Josie will probably marry before her. Now Josie more then likely will get married first but I wouldn't take Callie's word on it. 

Well, fundie tumblr did a bit of searching and basically confirmed that Josie is the one that is engaged. Someone on Instagram, emilyklarerphotography posted some engagement photos around 12 hours ago and tagged Josie and Kelton on them.  They got engaged yesterday. 

(would post a link but idk how to do that) 

6 minutes ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

Well, fundie tumblr did a bit of searching and basically confirmed that Josie is the one that is engaged. Someone on Instagram, emilyklarerphotography posted some engagement photos around 12 hours ago and tagged Josie and Kelton on them.  They got engaged yesterday. 

(would post a link but idk how to do that) 

I looked up the insta... any idea why they were in Utah?

The photo is amazing. This kind of views make me want to visit the US so bad, your nature is incredible guys!

Also, don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of people getting married this early but I am kind of excited for Josie's wedding, because I have a feeling she will make it really pretty. I'm hoping for a simple, classy wedding dress, without any Kendra-like puff 

Dang, she will be another 18 year old bride. Can't imagine how Carlin must feel. Or maybe she is engaged too. If not, Gil did a JB with allowing Josie to get married first. Jessa was already courting Ben when BOOM Jill and Derick get hitched.

11 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Dang, she will be another 18 year old bride. Can't imagine how Carlin must feel. Or maybe she is engaged too. If not, Gil did a JB with allowing Josie to get married first. Jessa was already courting Ben when BOOM Jill and Derick get hitched.

Unless it's less then a two month engagement she'll at least be a nineteen year old bride since her birthday is Aug 4th. I can't believe they didn't make them wait those extra few months. I bet Alyssa is a bit steamed she wasn't even allowed to be in a get to know you stage with John until was 18 and couldn't court until Alyssa was only a few weeks shy of 19  they did have only like a two month engagment but still all the rules seem to be getting bent for Josie and I bet that's causing a lot of upset in the family.

and I bring Alyssa up because during Josie's birthday when Kelly said Josie could now have a boyfriend Alyssa made sure to point out it wasn't fair that she wasn't even allowed to talk to John before she was 18

I’m happy to hear it wasn’t Carlin, but still... another teen bride. I mean, yes Josie has a career but she is absolutely still immature. And I’m not trying to put her down or be snarky because I actually love Josie, there’s just no arguing that a home schooled teenager is ready for marriage. I think she’s a very introverted person and people mistake that for maturity.

As for Kelton, I don’t why but he makes me so uncomfortable. His mannerisms and the way he talks reminds me of a senior in a party frat trying to seduce the new freshman lol. The only time I could stand to listen to him was when he spoke about his mom, he sounded normal and genuine. Idk, maybe he just doesn’t know how to act in front of the cameras yet. For Josie’s sake, I hope that’s the case.

Thoughts:

Carlin is going to cut a bitch. 

Nice engagement photos, and the wedding is going to look AWESOME. 

Buuuuuut she's still essentially a child bride. So there's that.

Buuuuuuut she seems far more mature than Carlin, and certainly more mature than Joy or Kendra (both in demeanor and in that she has marketable skills and an actual job). But still, I think she's too young and that in Fundieland, marriage isn't so much based on love, but on getting kids out of the house and making sure their boot-knocking is Jesus-approved. 

I will say that I don’t have as much as a problem with this constellation as with many others. They have been interested in each other for many years. In the real world they would have been a couple for what 5-3 years? 

A wedding might still be early but not as insane as it could be. Now, people in the real world marrying that young normally have gotten a sufficient education/job training, have probably lived together and made experiences together (physical or just in sharing each other’s life), have been allowed to be alone and can still pursue personal life goals apart from children as women. And most importantly both parties can leave if it doesn’t work out.

So, yes their constellation is bad but in my opinion not as bad as Carlin’s, Tori’s  or the Duggar daughters‘.

Not Josie!!! And to the Joker! :( damn Josie you could have done so much better. She's so young...

Is just me or the engagement photo has been take down? I don't see it anymore 

39 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

Is just me or the engagement photo has been take down? I don't see it anymore 

There’s a screenshot of it on the r/CountingOn subreddit.

(I don’t know if I’m allowed to share a link since the original has been taken down, but if you google the sub should show up and the thread title says “Josies engaged” or something like that)

See it thanks. I'm thinking that Up made the poster take it down, but why? I mean every body now knows that the engagement is the one between Josie and Kelton, so why take down the post? The Big surprise is now knew 

Holy sh*t these pitcures are amazing!! :wow:

Wondering when they'll announce..

And feel little bit sorry for Evan. Now beat that! :my_biggrin:

I know is superficial, but she is the prettiest of the sisters and i dont find him that handsome.

Also, Trump supporter.

Found this on the photographer’s Instagram Stories (public account):

45A5B69D-B2EA-4FB2-96B5-0C9B0095CB44.thumb.png.4287be7f3436ba2bbca9cbee2ee923cb.png

I can’t be sure, but that looks like Josie and Kelton, right? But the pose is much too NIKE! for engagement photos. 

ETA: I wish she wasn’t so young. She won’t be 19 until early August, so she’ll likely be the youngest Bates bride thus far (and one of the youngest Brides between the Bates and Duggar families.) That said, I am glad that Carlin isn’t the one engaged yet. Out of the two couples JoLton come across as more mature and prepared for marriage in some ways. I think extra courting time would greatly benefit CarVan and hopefully help them to set the foundation for a stronger and healthier marriage. 

I think this would make the first time a fundie couple has gotten engaged somewhere I have been before. They are definitely at Double Arch at Arches NP. That is easily one of the most impressive things I’ve ever seen (I went last year) and Double Arch is a fairly short walk from the parking lot.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived