IGNORED

Jinjer 35: The Baby Wait

Coconut Flan

I would think after 52 years on the planet, no matter what year you were born in, a person might have had the time and inclination to reflect on some things, questions some things, and revise some things in their life. Jim Bob... nope. He seems to have the same maturity level of Ben Seewald circa 2014. Even Bin is outgrowing Boob. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've always ALWAYS said that those of us born between 1965 and 1969 are neither Boomers nor GenXers. 

You know what’s crazy about that?  I was born in 1980, which is typically GenX, but I never felt we fit in there and then people started lump us in with millenials, which doesn’t work, either.  Recently someone came up with Xennial for people born between like 77 and 83 or something like that.  It’s a micro generation that’s old enough to have had childhoods without constant technology but young enough that our teenage years/college years were shaped by it.  I wonder if there’s something similar for time period in between the boomers and the genxers.

1 minute ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Even Bin is outgrowing Boob.

That's a pretty low bar...

25 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've always ALWAYS said that those of us born between 1965 and 1969 are neither Boomers nor GenXers. 

These birth years epitomize Gen X for me. These guys were old enough to party when Madonna released Like A Virgin. They were in their 20's when the Brat Pack was cool. 

19 minutes ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

You know what’s crazy about that?  I was born in 1980, which is typically GenX, but I never felt we fit in there and then people started lump us in with millenials, which doesn’t work, either.  Recently someone came up with Xennial for people born between like 77 and 83 or something like that.

I always thought there was a Gen Y between Gen X and millennials, but I just looked it up, and supposedly Gen Y and millennials are lumped together.

I feel very Gen Y, or Xennial, but I don't feel young enough to be a millennial. 

I’m a millennial. I’ve seen teenagers classified as millennials. I emphatically do not feel like I’m part of the same generation as people who have no memory of 9/11 (let alone people who weren’t even born yet)!

I’ve always said that if you’re a millennial you were a teenager or younger on 9/11, but old enough to remember it. That probably gives a range of about 1982-1996. Recently I heard another one that I think really works: old enough to remember 9/11, but too young to remember the Challenger disaster.

I'm not sure if I actually remember watching Challenger explode or if I'm remembering what I was told I did. I was right at the age where I may or may not actually remember it. Oddly enough, 9/11 is a bit of a blur for me because I'd had surgery the Friday before so I was loopy from pain pills. I do remember hearing about the Pentagon on IRC about a minute before it came on the news. Now it's common, but to hear about something first on a "social network" type thing was mind-blowing.

I definitely don't feel like I belong to either Gen X or millennials. My parents were early adopters of a lot of tech, so I had access to things earlier than some of my peers. That may have skewed my feelings. I dialed into Usenet message boards. We had AOL when it was hourly rate. Cell calls were charged by the minute, texts weren't unlimited, and roaming charges could destroy you. "Millennials" that I've met just don't seem to understand how far we've come just from that.

4 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

You know what’s crazy about that?  I was born in 1980, which is typically GenX, but I never felt we fit in there and then people started lump us in with millenials, which doesn’t work, either.  Recently someone came up with Xennial for people born between like 77 and 83 or something like that.  It’s a micro generation that’s old enough to have had childhoods without constant technology but young enough that our teenage years/college years were shaped by it.  I wonder if there’s something similar for time period in between the boomers and the genxers.

I agree. In my work place most people are 25-45 (I am 35) and in some aspects I am totally more in line with the "young ones" (I use much more technology than those just 5 years older than me and I am often more in line with the younger ones views about politics and society) but in some aspects I am more like the older ones like I don't tend to like the same type of music or TV-shows as the younger ones and I don't enjoy more modern computer games that much. 

In Sweden there is a clear difference between those of us who grew up in the 80s (very clear up to the mid 80s but even in those who were born in the latter part there is a difference) and those who grew up in the 90s with regards to TV for example. Most of us who grew up in the 80s grew up with 2 state TV channels that almost never showed anything that was worth seeing for our first 8-10 years. Then it got easier and cheaper to get cable and a third free channel was added that was financed by ads so even those who didn't get cable got access to new TV shows through the new channel. In our country I actually think that this was even more important than the internet in creating a divider. We sometimes joke about being old enough to remember "Soviet-Sweden" or not. 

7 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

These guys were old enough to party when Madonna released Like A Virgin. They were in their 20's when the Brat Pack was cool. 

Truly - our little microgeneration is THE best. We had the best music and the best movies!

My microgen friends were all early adopters of technology, and we're just as comfortable (and skilled in) with technology. 

GryffindorDisappointment (1990) feels much the same as @singsingsing regarding the Millennial designation.

(And can I just say it breaks my heart that the Brat Pack "was" cool.)

As a 1984 girl here, I’m an old millennial any way you slice it. I don’t mind being a millennial and think they get a bad rep in general from the older generations because that’s what old people do (if they stereotype me I can stereotype them, right?). I do eat a lot of avocados, don’t own my house, and don’t particularly crave the american dream. I hate talking on the phone and love texting. 

But I definitely think we 1983-1985 folks have our own micro youth defined by spending our coming of age years on aol, and our defining moments we’re all the super bizarre events of the early 90s: OJ chase, Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan scandal, Waco, and the like. We grew up in the dawn of trashy tv and our parents bought us everything. Then when it was time to graduate and get a good job as we were promised, poof, the bottom falls out of the economy and job market. 

I bet most people feel this way, but this little time span has had way different values than those a couple years older and our experiences were light years different from those a few years younger (we were pre helicopter parent). 

I consider myself a millenial, and I was born in 1998. I may not remember 9/11 (weirdly, I do remember a few hours before the plane hit the tower (it was my first day of preschool!) and I remember the day after), but I've always been more into the activities my brothers (1993 and 1995) were doing than what people my age were doing. So when people are like "only millenials played with tamagotchi and nintendo 64!", well I played with them too.  I think 1999-2009 are Gen Z. 

When the show Survivor had Millenials vs Gen X, Gen X was 1965-1982, and Millenials were 1983-1998. 

I've always been offended I've been lumped into the millennial age. Born in the late 80s, I remember being at least 13 before we got a computer, 15 before I saw my friends start to get cell phones (i had a couple who had pagers!), remember 9/11 in detail, and definitely had a childhood playing in bare feet and curfew of "when the streetlights come on".

It's a weird in-between.

I needed to look up a list of World Events to jog my memory, but my first memory of a big event was 1972:

Vaguely remember Nixen visiting Communist China.
Munich Olympic Games and the Munich Massacre, where 11 Israeli athletes, coaches, and a local police officer were taken hostage, shot, and killed by Palestinian terrorists.

Spoiler

1974 - Hearing a lot of talk about Watergate, Nixon resigning, and Ford being sworn in.
* Patricia Hearst kidnapping and her robbing a bank with her kidnappers.  First time I'd heard of Stockholm Syndrome.

1975 - The Fall of Siagon.

1976 - Bicentennial, we wore red, white, and blue all year long.  
* Jimmy Carter became president, his brother Billy regularly made a fool of himself, and his mother Lillian one time said that Billy would be a better president.  Ouch.  Also remember Amy Carter being in the news a lot because she was so young when her dad became president.

1977 - Elvis died, my mom cried, which was disturbing to me since my mom never cried.
* Star Wars was released, everyone was talking about it and I didn't want to see it because I was into The Lord of the Rings.

1978 - Jimmy Carter hosting Anwar Sadat and Menachem Begin at Camp David and getting them to sign a Framework for Peace.  They all shared a Nobel Peace Prize later that year.
* California and Proposition 13.
* Jim Jones and the tragedy at Jonestown.
* Worlds first test tube baby, a girl whose name escapes me - Louise Brown?

1979 - The Shah of Iran flees and Ayatollah Khomeini takes over.
* Margaret Thatcher becomes Prime Minister of Britain, the first woman to do so.
* Three Mile Island.
* Iranian militants seize the U.S. embassy in Tehran, holding hostages, the failed attempt to rescue the hostages, and the debut of Nightline, whose sole purpose at first was to report on the crisis, but as time went on it started to become the general news show we have today.  Eventual release of the hostages (in 1981!).
* U.S. boycotting the Moscow Olympics in response to the Soviet Union invading Afghanistan and holding our own sad version instead.
* Iran invading Iraq, learning more about Saddam Hussein, who was one scary dude.
* Ronald Reagan elected.
* John Lennon shot.
* Wreck of the Titanic found.

We kids ran rampant throughout the neighborhood without a care until my family moved out into the country, where our playground expanded to however far you wanted to walk or ride your bike.  Good times.

I got my first computer at 27 when I went back to college with two kids under my belt.  I got my first cell phone in my early 30's, although I haven't had one in years now.  My kids find it weird that I remember phone numbers.  They are lost if they have to make a call and their cell phone isn't handy.

Jeremy is attending, and speaking at  the G3  theology conference: http://g3conference.com/

"Knowing God 2018: A Biblical Understanding of Discipleship"

Because the cake topper traveled with him, do we assume Jinger did not?

Here's my favorite of today's conference sessions:

TODD FRIEL
Topic: Discipling Your Spouse
Time: 2:15pm

Voddie speaks tonight:

7:45 PM

The Heart of Discipleship

VODDIE BAUCHAM

Jeremy speaks tomorrow:

Breakout Sessions

JEREMY VUOLO
Topic: What Does It Mean to Abide in Christ?
Time: 2:15pm

Born in 1965, I'm perfectly comfortable being called Generation X, but I'd say the main part of it is from 1965-1972, and you can go up to 79 or 80 easily enough. I think the Millennial generation is the muddled one.

Five of my six kids are millennials; the youngest, born in 1998, is definitely more different from the rest than they are from each other (ages 21-30) in terms of pop culture and basic life view. 

I have a friend who is not quite three years older than me, and he wants so badly to be called Gen X; when I remind him the Boomers were formed specifically from demographics more than interests and commonality, he tries to find reasons I'm wrong. But also we really did grow up with different touchstones, like school readers, TV programming, memory and understanding of news events, what our parents were like, and more, it's just that he wants to feel part of something else.

6 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

TODD FRIEL
Topic: Discipling Your Spouse
Time: 2:15pm

I thought this said "Disciplining Your Spouse" at first and was momentarily alarmed. The real subject might not be much better though.

9 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

These birth years epitomize Gen X for me. These guys were old enough to party when Madonna released Like A Virgin. They were in their 20's when the Brat Pack was cool. 

OMG - I just had a vision of the Boob rocking out to Like a Virgin. In his plastered down hair and sensible and modest khaki pants... I know he didn't because music and Madonna and his head would explode - but the image is funny.

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

I thought this said "Disciplining Your Spouse" at first and was momentarily alarmed. The real subject might not be much better though.

Because I have a habit of falling into the bunny hole...https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3479646

some crazy shit lol. Either Domestic discipline is like the biblical 50 shades in a way. But in sure being kinky is of the devil so here's a loop hole OR it's spousal abuse. I can make a case either way lol

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

I thought this said "Disciplining Your Spouse" at first and was momentarily alarmed. The real subject [Discipling Your Spouse] might not be much better though.

I've heard men at a few churches speak of "washing your wife with the Word". :my_sick: What an awful image, on so many levels...

I think the generation designations are just too wide. The difference between my brother and I (1988 and 1994) are staggering. I mean, I'm on the train of I can still remember when we had two tv channels and he can't remember life before cable. I'm pretty sure that the way I remember things is also vastly different then my cousins who are 5 years old then me. 

35 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I think the generation designations are just too wide. The difference between my brother and I (1988 and 1994) are staggering. I mean, I'm on the train of I can still remember when we had two tv channels and he can't remember life before cable. I'm pretty sure that the way I remember things is also vastly different then my cousins who are 5 years old then me. 

I was also born in '88, and I feel like the people I have more in common with/can relate to more (relatively speaking and painting with a really broad brush) are probably people born between like... 1986 and 1992, maybe. My sister was born in 1990 and I definitely feel like we're part of the same generational group. But I feel like my cousin who was born in 1994 is in a totally different category. It's weird!

I was born in 92, I definitely feel like I am a millennial but I also feel like I don't subscribes to a lot of the negative stereotypes some older people sometimes associate with the word. That's the thing about stereotypes, there can be grain of truth in them but at the end of the day that's it. Only a grain. 

I own my own house, I graduated college without any debt because I did most of my college education at community colleges with my parents financial help and I didn't move away right at 18. I've worked at the same company since I was 22. I do realize I have been very lucky so far in life. I know a lot of other people my age who are going through things a little differently. A lot do have a lot of college debt and what not and do subscribe a little more to the millennial identity, it seems. However, I can't describe anyone as lazy. Things are just different then they were when my parents were growing up. Anyone who can't accept that for whatever reason is a little naive. This happens every generation, after all. Things will change as people get older and die and new people are born.

I do feel kind of weird when people lump teenagers in with millennials. Like my youngest brother, or my fiance's(Who is a good five years older then me and things are different for him even.) youngest brother and sister who were all born in 00/01. Like you can't lump in kids who don't remember or weren't even alive yet during the first Bush Jr. election (Here in the USA anyway.) and 9/11 and the changes that brought to society. We had a computer when I was very young and I do remember spending time on AOL but the internet wasn't an every day part of life thing, at least the way it is now, until I was a teenager. For those reasons I relate more to people who were born in the late 80s more than people who were born in the late 90s. I feel like as the people who are now just graduating high school or are still in high school get older, a separate identity will develop.

Also, who is in what generation can be arbitrary at best. 

13 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I looked it up. Jim Bob's birth date is July 18, 1965.

Wow, every man I know that was born in 1965 seems to be far more introspective and worldly. Jim Bob is almost like a walking cartoon. Are there any armchair psychologists who can shed light on this? 

I am in no way even a Certified Internet Psychologist, but my best guess as to why JimBob turned out the way he did? This:

Spoiler

8B66E889-47AA-4D67-A8C9-7E14D8717213.jpeg.826dd809e4a900a359daf8b3677e6f81.jpeg

:pb_lol:

I  am the oldest and was born in 1995. My sister was born in 1999. Then there's a big gap between us and our 2 youngest siblings (born February 2009 and July 2010, youngest sister was a surprise). It's interesting the dynamic between us. My sister is in her first year of college, then there's my brother, a 3rd grader.

Growing up, the first thing I remember is 9/11, mainly because it happened the day after my 6th birthday. I consider myself a millennial, and so does my sister. But even between us, who are only 4 years apart, there's differences. When I was in high school, the go-to social media was still Facebook and Twitter. For her, it's Instagram and Snapchat. Also, Netflix was relatively new and streaming and binging TV weren't common. And this was in 2013! I do think the term millennial is too broad. Things change as time goes on.

2 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

I've heard men at a few churches speak of "washing your wife with the Word". :my_sick: What an awful image, on so many levels...

No worse that all those "washed in the blood of the Lamb" type of hymn lyrics that grossed me out as a kid!!  : )

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived