IGNORED

Jinjer 35: The Baby Wait

Coconut Flan

I think the issue with 'millennial' is that it's the term that Baby Boomers invented to apply to 'the kids and teens who are starting to come of age now'. But 'now' back then was 'the turn of the millennium'. The problem is, they still think of 'millennial' as applying to 'the kids and teens', but the teens now are people born after the year 2000 who have, for the most part, had a wildly different coming of age experience than those of us who were in the 8-18 age range on 9/11. I didn't even know what the internet was when I was a little kid. I still remember my mum trying to explain it to me. I vividly remember what life was like before 9/11. I can't relate to growing up with tablets and smart phones anymore than I can relate to growing up during the Cold War.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

You know what’s crazy about that?  I was born in 1980, which is typically GenX, but I never felt we fit in there and then people started lump us in with millenials, which doesn’t work, either.  Recently someone came up with Xennial for people born between like 77 and 83 or something like that.  It’s a micro generation that’s old enough to have had childhoods without constant technology but young enough that our teenage years/college years were shaped by it.  I wonder if there’s something similar for time period in between the boomers and the genxers.

I was born in 1981 and totally agree. I’ve seen it termed the “Oregon Trail Generation,” which I particularly like. 

https://socialmediaweek.org/blog/2015/04/oregon-trail-generation/

I read this book on Gen X back in the 90's.  it had an interesting analysis of the generation and of generational trends/cycles in general.  The author actually uses socio-economic-political-economic factors to define generations.  He starts Gen X in 1960 or so and cuts it off around 1979/80 (if your parents had a baby on board sign on the card you are not a gen x).  (oh and before Gen X they tried to call it the baby bust and/or the new lost generation - neither stuck.  

I was born the same month the Beatles came to America (and Sarah Palin in a few week older than I am).  I do not identify with the Baby Boom.  I identify more with Gen x.  My sister is 2 years younger than I am and clearly in Gen x.  

https://www.amazon.com/13th-Gen-Abort-Retry-Ignore/dp/0679743650

My first memory of a historical event was the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. Beat that anyone? :laughing-rolling:

The only woman presenting at Jeremy's conference has a panel called "How by God’s Grace to Develop the Godly Character Needed to Disciple Other Women." NATURALLY.

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

I read this book on Gen X back in the 90's.  it had an interesting analysis of the generation and of generational trends/cycles in general.  The author actually uses socio-economic-political-economic factors to define generations.  He starts Gen X in 1960 or so and cuts it off around 1979/80 (if your parents had a baby on board sign on the card you are not a gen x).  (oh and before Gen X they tried to call it the baby bust and/or the new lost generation - neither stuck.  

I was born the same month the Beatles came to America (and Sarah Palin in a few week older than I am).  I do not identify with the Baby Boom.  I identify more with Gen x.  My sister is 2 years younger than I am and clearly in Gen x.  

https://www.amazon.com/13th-Gen-Abort-Retry-Ignore/dp/0679743650

I was born in 1962.  Technically that is Baby Boom, which officially includes people born through 1964.  However, most people my age seem to identify with Gen X more (which kind of makes sense, because people want to be a part of the upcoming and current trends, to a large extent).

So for me, the weirdo who identifies 100% as Baby Boom, I always (since adulthood/college) tended to have friends who were 15-20 years older than me.  I just never related to the Xers...  

I wouldn't mind if Jinger had a girl baby. Even though the Vuolos are still regressive on Women's Rights, I'd rather them have a girl than any of the other duggar children (just saying"

10 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

I thought this said "Disciplining Your Spouse" at first and was momentarily alarmed. The real subject might not be much better though.

I also read it this way, and the gutter brained part of me imagined leather, whips, and chains. Fifty Shades of Fundie.

1 hour ago, Kendra Ackerman said:

I wouldn't mind if Jinger had a girl baby. Even though the Vuolos are still regressive on Women's Rights, I'd rather them have a girl than any of the other duggar children (just saying"

I think I agree? However I also thought derek would be good for Jill sooooo :popcorn: let's pass the popcorn and watch this train wreck. As much as I wish We could help all the kids one day they are just going to continue the cycle and there's not much we can do. *im apparently feeling apathic today*

I'm very much a millennial (born in 91). I've heard millennial defined as "younger than adult on 9/11, but old enough to remember it" (so born between mid-80s and 93ish), which I tend to agree with. 

2 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm very much a millennial (born in 91). I've heard millennial defined as "younger than adult on 9/11, but old enough to remember it" (so born between mid-80s and 93ish), which I tend to agree with. 

Agreed. I was born in 95 and was a kindergartener at the time, though most of the kids my age my age were in 1st grade, so I would probably push it to about '95ish, but then again I don't feel like I fully fit into the entirety of the millennial generation.  

Also, as someone else mentioned, when I was an early teen facebook was what was popular and me and friends still emailed each other.  One of my college professors said that the span of generational years seems to be getting shorter due to our modern rampantly speeding technology and the fast growing up culture we live in at least here in the US.  He also (with evidence from others of course) mentioned to us that the age range from those born between 90 and 96ish are kind of a sub section of a generation where we struggle with the speed of technological advances, etc more than those younger than us and even those older than us who have now become a part of the tech world because of the fact that we have seen SO many changes since we were born and we remember just enough what it was like to not have all of the things we and those younger than us have now.  and its probably not true for everyone, but I know for me and some that I am closest to around my age have talked about the weird struggles/tension we live in because of the changes.  

On 1/6/2018 at 11:13 PM, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Jessa didn't seem overly maternal with her buddies as a sistermom, but she seems to enjoy motherhood.

I agree with you, but I never viewed Jessa as maternal in general. Jill, in comparison, when interacting with Israel, seems to outwardly enjoy being a mom a bit more. 

I think Jessa loves being a mom, but she has a more calculated approach toward how she presents her children on social media, which makes me feel like she’s focused more on the image of “happy mom and babies” than fostering an emotional connection. It’s all about “look how cute my kids are”. 

Jill, despite not being as tech-savvy, seems to be more organic and maternal when dealing with her children. 

Im also not saying that Jessa is a bad mother who doesn’t care about her kids—just a different kind of mother. 

Idk, that’s just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Kendra Ackerman said:

Meh. The amount of times Jeremy has basically said how much he prayed for a wife who was "meek" and that's part of the reason why he married Jinger, I'm not too keen on seeing them with a girl. The only one of them I could MAYBE see not shoving the "keep sweet" mentality down a daughter's throat is Jessa, just because she's so assertive herself. And even that is questionable.

6 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Meh. The amount of times Jeremy has basically said how much he prayed for a wife who was "meek" and that's part of the reason why he married Jinger, I'm not too keen on seeing them with a girl. The only one of them I could MAYBE see not shoving the "keep sweet" mentality down a daughter's throat is Jessa, just because she's so assertive herself. And even that is questionable.

On that note, I hate when people try to excuse him for wanting a 'meek' wife by saying that being 'meek' is a virtue in their religion. Well yeah, and their religion sucks! They're fundamentalists! They're not egalitarians reclaiming the word 'meek' or using it in a nuanced, intricate way. They have a long established history of demanding that women be modest, humble, sweet and submissive, which is what 'meek' means. When is a fundie man ever complimented by being called 'meek'?

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

They have a long established history of demanding that women be modest, humble, sweet and submissive, which is what 'meek' means. When is a fundie man ever complimented by being called 'meek'?

The whole “meek” thing really turns me off. I really hope none of them have any girl babies for awhile.

And Jeremy has said he'd love to have a daughter "just like" Jinger. That's what worried me. Look like her, absolutely. Be meek and all that? God's I hope not!

14 hours ago, clueliss said:

(oh and before Gen X they tried to call it the baby bust and/or the new lost generation - neither stuck.)

The first place I heard the term "Generation X" was in a newspaper article. It also used the phrase "twenty-nothings", comparing us unfavorably with the old tv show "Thirtysomething". That article left me with a permanent bad taste in my mouth for the title "Gen X". 

14 hours ago, clueliss said:

I was born the same month the Beatles came to America.

My older brother was born the day the Beatles landed in the US, I believe. My mom cut out an article for his baby book, not realizing that the Beatles would be a big deal. She just wanted an article to show something that was happening in the news that day. :D

ETA--Wikipedia says it was the day before he was born. That makes sense. Newspapers tell news from the day before. 

6 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

And Jeremy has said he'd love to have a daughter "just like" Jinger. That's what worried me. Look like her, absolutely. Be meek and all that? God's I hope not!

Granted, my husband has said that he hopes our daughter will be "just like" me. So if we give Jeremy the benefit of the doubt, maybe he just loves Jinger so much, thinks she is perfect, and wants their potential daughter to be exactly like her mother. In that case, it would be a very sweet sentiment that many parents share.

But I agree - taking into account Jeremy's stance on family matters it sounds a lot more menacing.

14 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

My first memory of a historical event was the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. Beat that anyone? :laughing-rolling:

I am Gen x girl 

my first historical memory - being afraid of Reagan in Canada 

Jeremy also said he was thinking it would be a boy, but he would also love to have a daughter so that he could have that 'little princess'. So yes, I'm sure Jeremy is hoping for a meek, diminutive little princess who will worship the ground he walks on, just like his wife.

I guess it's time for Jeremy to review his many sermons about Raising Kids God's Way, from a guy with zero kids. :P

This is the old one where he talks about how breakfast cereal is destroying the sanctity of the family hierarchy or whatever. While also talking harshly about people who have kids "too young" (I wonder what he thinks about the influx of Duggar teen pregnancies?) and parents of trans children.

To whoever said Jill is a "more organic" mother, I don't see that at all. She TRIES to look organic and boho, but she is just playing a part. I don't see her engaged with her kids. She is still vying for attention for herself.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived