IGNORED

Jinjer 35: The Baby Wait

Coconut Flan

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

Approving of Jinger being physically active will be good for her health in pregnancy. I really don't know about Jim Bob and Michelle but I would assume that women are treated like they are breakable objects during pregnancy in their old- fashioned patriarchy cult. Am I wrong about that?

The Duggars at least definitely don't seem to treat themselves like they're fragile when they're pregnant. The criticism on FJ tends in the opposite direction, that they're doing too much, being too active, and not being careful enough (I generally disagree). 

54 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

I know Ben encouraged Jessa during pregnancy, but I seem to generally remember, because of the skirt wearing and the gender divisions, the girls stayed away from focusing on fitness or intensive activity.  Michelle also at some point decided to exercise to lose weight but that also seemed like it was for Jim Bob and was very minimal. I feel like really getting into fitness and working out would not be an acceptable female hobby for most of the Duggars, right?

I vaguely remember Michelle using a treadmill in the early days of XX Kids and Counting while pregnant with Jordyn? Josie? (One of the later pregnancies). They said that was on their doctor's orders, so it was not necessarily a hobby. Somehow, that image of a pregnant woman on a treadmill stuck in my mind :my_biggrin:

12 minutes ago, DillyDally said:

I vaguely remember Michelle using a treadmill in the early days of XX Kids and Counting while pregnant with Jordyn? Josie? (One of the later pregnancies). They said that was on their doctor's orders, so it was not necessarily a hobby. Somehow, that image of a pregnant woman on a treadmill stuck in my mind :my_biggrin:

I think that was when she was pregnant with Jubilee, if I remember correctly. I think she was trying to stay healthier after the complications with Josie’s pregnancy and birth, and she talked about working out like 5 days a week. 

So- the skirt wearing - like do you think that's an ALLLLL the time thing? I mean if they go to a women's only gym (or women's only half of a gym) - are they still wearing skirts? Or if they're at home and no one is there (ie camera people) are they still wearing skirts?

45 minutes ago, Meggo said:

So- the skirt wearing - like do you think that's an ALLLLL the time thing? I mean if they go to a women's only gym (or women's only half of a gym) - are they still wearing skirts? Or if they're at home and no one is there (ie camera people) are they still wearing skirts?

I think it's a most-of-the-time thing. The Duggar daughters have always seemed fine with wearing pants for practical reasons (skydiving, snow pants, apparently exercise as Jinger was once photographed wearing track pants at the TTH long before Jeremy was ever in the picture).

So Jeremy is en route to Atlanta to speak at that conference he shared about back in December. Those cake toppers are starting to annoy me! I find them cute for a small photo opp during the wedding pics (my brother and his wife had mr & mrs potato head cake toppers and they took a few pics of them during the wedding) but more than a year after it’s just kinda weird

966C9803-AA7A-4CE8-B073-F33948DB72F8.jpeg

38 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

The Duggar daughters have always seemed fine with wearing pants for practical reasons (skydiving

Ha! Skydiving in skirts, that would be like something out of a Looney Tunes cartoon.

8 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I wonder if he ever reads anything other than theology. 

Of course, since we only see what he chooses to post... I wonder if he takes care that we only see him reading the Bible and theology.

29 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

So Jeremy is en route to Atlanta to speak at that conference he shared about back in December. Those cake toppers are starting to annoy me! I find them cute for a small photo opp during the wedding pics (my brother and his wife had mr & mrs potato head cake toppers and they took a few pics of them during the wedding) but more than a year after it’s just kinda weird

966C9803-AA7A-4CE8-B073-F33948DB72F8.jpeg

I think the cake toppers are pretty cute. I know lots of working parents who travel and take a stuffed animal with them to take pictures of their journey. 

I don't follow Jeremy, so this is the first appearance of the cake topper that I have seen. I think it's a creative spin off of the Little Box Guy. I think his name is Danbo. 

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, flycat said:

I think the cake toppers are pretty cute. I know lots of working parents who travel and take a stuffed animal with them to take pictures of their journey. 

I do that when I'm traveling.  My daughter loves it.  Pictures of the stuffed animal doing things is way more interesting than pictures of mommy.

I think the cake topper pictures are kind of cute.  It doesn't bother me.  In some ways, I'd rather see that than more pictures of Jeremy.

2 minutes ago, KnittingOwl said:

I do that when I'm traveling.  My daughter loves it.  Pictures of the stuffed animal doing things is way more interesting than pictures of mommy.

My husband has done this, our Kookaburra toy (kooky bird) has been all over, had his picture taken at the Washington monument even! 

We have friends who take a stuffed monkey, and others who take a naked Barbie - and post photos of those objects everywhere they go.

4 hours ago, Meggo said:

To be honest though, there are a LOT of cute workout skirts on the market these days.  I wear skirts 99.99% of the time (personal comfort), and I wear skirts to do everything from lift to distance run.  They probably don't wear the same skirts they wear in front of the camera (which is pretty typical, I wear nicer clothes in public than I do if I am just doing chores), but there are a wide variety of comfortable skirt options for any occasion.  

And actually, people don't even notice that I am essentially skirts only unless I mention it, because again, there's a skirt to do just about anything in.  

3 hours ago, flycat said:

I know lots of working parents who travel and take a stuffed animal with them to take pictures of their journey. 

Friends of mine took a Nemo toy all over the world and at one stage he even had his own facebook profile! Last I heard though he stayed back in Ireland as he enjoyed a good drinking session and took to it "like a Fish to water" ha ha.

One of my friends did the same thing with one of my gnomes (I collect them because I'm crazy). A fun game of "traveling gnome" occurred on one of their family vacations. They snapped pics of the gnome doing different, fun vacation things and it was a great time. I do not mind Jeremy's cake topper pictures at all. I think it's nothing but fun.

1 hour ago, frugalitymom said:

Even more of a chance of being born on Jim Bob’s birthday 

That baby would be fawned over and put on a pedestal by Grandpa Duggar it's whole life if it was born on that day. I hope for the sake of that kid, it's born on the opposite half of the month so it's no where near his birthday. 

I looked it up. Jim Bob's birth date is July 18, 1965.

Wow, every man I know that was born in 1965 seems to be far more introspective and worldly. Jim Bob is almost like a walking cartoon. Are there any armchair psychologists who can shed light on this? 

3 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I looked it up. Jim Bob's birth date is July 18, 1965.

Wow, every man I know that was born in 1965 seems to be far more introspective and worldly. Jim Bob is almost like a walking cartoon. Are there any armchair psychologists who can shed light on this? 

Certified Armchair Psychologist here! As one of my family members loves to boast, I also was merely two courses short of a Psychology minor in university, so I believe I can shed some light on this. I do not believe that a person's year of birth in and of itself has any bearing whatsoever on their character or behaviour.

*(At the university we both attended, you needed a grand total of six courses for a Psychology minor, so this has become my favourite ludicrous boast. Said family member would usually make this claim immediately after announcing that he was 'very skeptical of psychology as a science.')

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Certified Armchair Psychologist here! As one of my family members loves to boast, I also was merely two courses short of a Psychology minor in university, so I believe I can shed some light on this. I do not believe that a person's year of birth in and of itself has any bearing whatsoever on their character or behaviour.

Actual psych minor here haha (with some extra psych courses for fun) I wouldn't say that there's evidence that a person's year of birth has any bearing. HOWEVER the culture and events of the time they are growing up could and would (I would imagine you would see similarities between say 65-67. And likely to a higher degree than just the general generational indicators haha. 

Just now, LacyMay said:

I would imagine you would see similarities between say 65-67.

I've always ALWAYS said that those of us born between 1965 and 1969 are neither Boomers nor GenXers. 

Psych major here!  Haha.  I’ve got nothing to add.  (I studied mostly school psychology after I got the basics out the way).

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've always ALWAYS said that those of us born between 1965 and 1969 are neither Boomers nor GenXers. 

I **hate** when people put too much worth on the set generational things as a way to broad paint millions of people. I think it annoys me because I'm *technically* a gen x or millennial, however because the boundary years for the one are so vague and massive. They also don't really take into account the years that tech became commonplace *so* my sister who is  years younger than me and also a millennial had *drastically* different experiences. Access to tech and the internet, watershed moments like 9/11, political shifts etc. These all come into play and in certain generations they are completely ignored. I didn't have access to internet at home until I was ~15 my sister can't remember a time without it, I was in university before I had a smart phone with internet as a really usable function, my sister likely had a smart phone as her first phone. These are things that shape how we interact with each other, learn, live and work. Likewise with events, I can easily remember a time before 9/11, before Columbine, before the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, but there are millenials who (by some definitions) weren't even born when some of those things took place. 

I understand the need for labels but rage against them being used to define huge groups (especially when it's used to malign them) 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived