IGNORED

Dillards 47: Tweeting Twit

samurai_sarah

Honest question: I was under the impression that Arab was a bit of a pejorative. Not a terrible one, but not the correct nomenclature. Is this accurate?

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Honest question: I was under the impression that Arab was a bit of a pejorative. Not a terrible one, but not the correct nomenclature. Is this accurate?

No, Arab is the correct term. I was like 90% sure that it was, but your question made me google it and this was the first result and made me laugh.  "Is there a term other than Mexican you use? Something less offensive?" was one of the cringiest Michael Scott lines IMO. (COME AT ME, SCOTT'S TOTS) 

No, Arab is the correct term. I was like 90% sure that it was, but your question made me google it and this was the first result and made me laugh.  "Is there a term other than Mexican you use? Something less offensive?" was one of the cringiest Michael Scott lines IMO. (COME AT ME, SCOTT'S TOTS) 

Maybe it’s because of how I often heard it used from my trumper relatives that made me think that. My father in particular was fond of saying it A-rab and usually included some other gross epithet like towelhead.

I honestly was not sure. Thanks. [emoji4]

I’m not trusting in Jill’s ability to  differentiate between a burqa, a niqab or a hijab 

15 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Already well answered, but no!  "Arab" may be used as a pejorative in the US these days, but it is a proud term.  It describes a specific ethnic group with a common language (Arabic).  There are 22 nation states within the Arab League.  Arabs are also not all Muslim.  Or terrorists.  The POTUS's views are wrong.  Arab should never be used as a pejorative.

1 minute ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

I’m not trusting in Jill’s ability to  differentiate between a burqa, a niqab or a hijab 

I would put good money on the bet that she can't differentiate between them!

8 hours ago, Pete Pickles said:

You’re right! He was in the OSU marching band at some point, I guess his freshman year when he wasn’t Pistol Pete. (Maybe he could be both at the same time. I know there are several different mascot actors each year.)

As far as WE the television viewers know, Jill may well have been talking to Derick even before Jessa was getting to know Ben, or definitely very soon after. I’m still convinced the “official” title of being in a courtship second and having “officially” met her man in person after Jessa did played into some jealousy. After all, it would seem that Jill had sacrificed being popular among her siblings (Jessa and Jinger’s bond can certainly seem enviable!) to ensure she did everything according to the rules...and yet she wasn’t first to court. Where’s the justice?! And she made it a point to discuss in a TH about how “we won’t all court and get married in birth order just because there are so many of us.” In my mind, I imagine she continued that thought with, “...and ONLY because there are so many of us! Not because Jessa is more worthy of the first courtship than I am!”  Jill also just seems like a jealous type of person to me. Maybe I’m wrong. 

Congrats. You’re one of my fave posters here. And so are you, @singsingsing!

Yes, it’s absolutely possible. We still don’t know very much about their courtship other than the following:

- Derick’s first apparent Duggar contact was when he went to the TTH with a group of carolers around Christmas 2011. At some point after that he asked JB to be a prayer partner while he was in Nepal (I believe he was there between January 2012 and January 2014.)

- Sometime between the fall of 2012 and May 19, 2013, Ben convinces his parents to make contact with the Duggars’ home church after he developed a crush on Jessa*. They meet the Duggars and Ben strikes up a friendship with some of the sons.  

- Over the course of a year JB got to know Derick a bit. He states he’s the one who thought Jill might be interested and he had her listen in on a few conversations in early 2013. Jill first spoke to Derick, briefly, that March after JB invited her to join a conversation he thought she’d enjoy.

- Sometime before May 19 (Ben’s birthday), Ben and Jessa began getting to know each other. I believe JB actually suggested he speak with Jessa because the topic Ben was discussing with him was theological and he knew Jessa was interested in that too. I’m going off memory here, but I think this is when they first really started getting to know each other. 

- That August, Derick asked and received permission to get to know Jill better. I’m assuming Derick experienced the standard Fundie crisis of, “I asked God to show me the way forward and he pointed towards the hot girl I had a crush on already.”

- September 16th, Benessa’s courtship was outed by someone Ben knows, possibly his Aunt as @JordynDarby5mentioned.

- Erin Bates Paine was married on November 2 in Tennessee. I remember this date because it was Gothard’s birthday and they had a cake for him at the reception (later dubbed a “Groom’s cake” on the family blog after Gothard was publicly revealed to be a sexual predator. The internet is forever though and we have a photo of it on the Bates Family Summary thread.) Jill attended this wedding and Thanksgiving was on November 28th that year. At some point during this time, Jill and JB traveled to Nepal to meet Derick in person. I read an US Magazune article saying it was a two week trip, but I have no clue how true that is. Regardless, this is when their courtship became official.

- Ben accompanies the Duggars on a mission trip to SCA around Christmastime. The general public starts to take note that Benessa are a super hot couple. 

- Derick returns to the states in January 2014. They were so happy to see each other that they accidentally front hugged and Michelle looked like she was barely managing to not clutch her Fundie pearls in public.  

- Late March 2014, Derick proposes. Jill excitedly answers with a, “Totally.” Their courtship was announced around this time.

- Early April, their engagement is publicly announced. 

- Around Mother’s Day, JB broaches the idea of having Ben move to the TTH to be closer to Jessa. He moved shortly after.

- A week or two before the wedding, Derick’s Mom is airlifted to the hospital in extremely serious condition. Doctors aren’t sure if she’d make it or not, but she miraculously** recovers and is well enough to be able to attend their wedding on June 21.

So, basically, JB knew Derick for a longer period of time than he knew Ben. Benessa started the relationship process first, but the Dills aren’t really that far behind them.

And aw shucks. You’re making me blush! :pb_lol:

*I’m pretty sure that’s what the story is. 

**No snark. It really is a miracle Cathy survived. 

6 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

- Sometime between the fall of 2012 and May 19, 2013, Ben convinces his parents to make contact with the Duggars’ home church after he developed a crush on Jessa*. They meet the Duggars and Ben strikes up a friendship with some of the sons.  

no way!!! That kind of adds in a whole new dynamic in my Derrick theory! So... My dad had a crush on my moms sister first. They held hands once. She then dated a different guy instead and he and my mom dated and got married. They've been married nearly 30 years, and I kid you not my mom still resents her sister. And my dad hates her with a passion. 

So I guess take what you will from that story. Eek.

okay so I accidentally read that as Derrick had a crush on Jessa first. Sorry! I got ahead of myself. I wonder if that was a possibility though? That sure would add some dynamics..

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'm the sort of person who is uber-polite, even when it's to my own detriment. About five years ago, a pair of LDS missionaries rang my doorbell and, like a fool, I answered it. A full-on half hour conversation about the LDS faith ensued, 

I just tell them I already have one religion I don't practice and am not looking for a second. Usually they leave right away.

It seems super weird to me to approach someone who clearly *has* a religion (eg is wearing hijab) and offer them some of yours. Like I get that this is what evangelising is all about, but why waste your time on someone who is fine for God right now? Surely it's easier to start from 0 with a shaky agnostic rather than put all that effort into persuading someone to renounce their current religion?

(I also think it's horribly disrespectful and in bad taste, but the DIllards won't get that.)

46 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Yes, it’s absolutely possible. We still don’t know very much about their courtship other than the following:

- Derick’s first apparent Duggar contact was when he went to the TTH with a group of carolers around Christmas 2011. At some point after that he asked JB to be a prayer partner while he was in Nepal (I believe he was there between January 2012 and January 2014.)

- Over the course of a year JB got to know Derick a bit. He states he’s the one who thought Jill might be interested and he had her listen in on a few conversations in early 2013. Jill first spoke to Derick, briefly, that March after JB invited her to join a conversation he thought she’d enjoy.

- Sometime before May 19 (Ben’s birthday), Ben and Jessa began getting to know each other. I believe JB actually suggested he speak with Jessa because the topic Ben was discussing with him was theological and he knew Jessa was interested in that too. I’m going off memory here, but I think this is when they first really started getting to know each other. 

- That August, Derick asked and received permission to get to know Jill better. I’m assuming Derick experienced the standard Fundie crisis of, “I asked God to show me the way forward and he pointed towards the hot girl I had a crush on already.”

- September 16th, Benessa’s courtship was outed by someone Ben knows, possibly his Aunt as @JordynDarby5mentioned.

- Erin Bates Paine was married on November 2 in Tennessee. I remember this date because it was Gothard’s birthday and they had a cake for him at the reception (later dubbed a “Groom’s cake” on the family blog after Gothard was publicly revealed to be a sexual predator. The internet is forever though and we have a photo of it on the Bates Family Summary thread.) Jill attended this wedding and Thanksgiving was on November 28th that year. At some point during this time, Jill and JB traveled to Nepal to meet Derick in person. I read an US Magazune article saying it was a two week trip, but I have no clue how true that is. Regardless, this is when their courtship became official.

- Ben accompanies the Duggars on a mission trip to SCA around Christmastime. The general public starts to take note that Benessa are a super hot couple. 

- Derick returns to the states in January 2014. They were so happy to see each other that they accidentally front hugged and Michelle looked like she was barely managing to not clutch her Fundie pearls in public.  

- Late March 2014, Derick proposes. Jill excitedly answers with a, “Totally.” Their courtship was announced around this time.

well done VR :) I remember the photo Benessa posted when they one route.... it was a cute one :)

and Jill went for two weeks - that I did not know 

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

The answer to that is probably $$$.  TLC didn't want to cancel a money-making show until the molestations were plastered all over the news.

If you look at the Cynthia Jeub thread (I posted the link earlier) she also talks about Reality TV producers turning a blind eye to abuse in her family.  

It makes you sick.   

I'm not surprised. Like I've said in another Duggar thread, the producers at MTV don't give a fuck about the lives of the "cast." CPS investigated Jenelle Evans when her daughter was born with pot in her system and MTV hovered it up. She and her husband treat her youngest son horribly and there are rampant rumors about abuse. I had to stop watching because there was an episode where that little boy, only 3, was wailing "Feed me!!" It was this heartbreaking, desperate wail...and Jenelle ignored it to do her engagement photoshoot. 

Can't have people with hearts who care about the well-being of others producing reality shows. It gets in the way of $$$$

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

Maybe it’s because of how I often heard it used from my trumper relatives that made me think that. My father in particular was fond of saying it A-rab and usually included some other gross epithet like towelhead.

I honestly was not sure. Thanks. emoji4.png

I feel like while Arab isn't offensive, saying "A-rab" is because the people who pronounce it that way tend to be racist, Islamophobic Trump supporters. Like my dad's cousin, who says that and also says/types "Moslem" instead of "Muslim." Someone let me know if I'm wrong.

So, these ladies are learning English and getting a bible story? KJV  I'm guessing. How much sense does that make? I'm tutoring some kids from Afghanistan. Just because they can read the words, it doesn't mean they understand. And as someone else said, it's arrogant to think that there is only one (fundie) way to salvation.

I also doubt that the women were in burqas. Why would they talk to complete strangers and go to eat with them.

These two morons realize that Muslims worship "one God" which is the same God that Christians worship right? Not sure why the Dullards are trying to "save souls" who already pray to the same God they do? Oh right it's cause they're racist missionaries who have to save all the "poor nonwhite heathens".

Ugh

FFS. Us Muslims already have a relationship with Jesus. Leave us the hell alone, Derick. I'm a convert from the WELS, which is just as wacky as what Derick is peddling. I hope he finds a brother or sister who will give dawah to him (especially one who is familiar with the Bible) and see how he likes it. I'm guessing he doesn't know the first thing about Islam and his ideas consist of every terrible stereotype out there. 

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I feel like while Arab isn't offensive, saying "A-rab" is because the people who pronounce it that way tend to be racist, Islamophobic Trump supporters. Like my dad's cousin, who says that and also says/types "Moslem" instead of "Muslim." Someone let me know if I'm wrong.

I think it's a regional dialect. (Is 'data' date-uh or dat-ah,etc)  I've heard muslims refer to themselves phonetically as 'moslems'.

i just googled, and the consensus is they are used interchangeably. 'Muslim' seems to be considered more modern though. 

49 minutes ago, PecanThief said:

These two morons realize that Muslims worship "one God" which is the same God that Christians worship right? Not sure why the Dullards are trying to "save souls" who already pray to the same God they do? Oh right it's cause they're racist missionaries who have to save all the "poor nonwhite heathens".

Ugh

Don't take this the wrong way, but your avatar looks like something from a horror film. 

1 hour ago, AprilQuilt said:

It seems super weird to me to approach someone who clearly *has* a religion (eg is wearing hijab) and offer them some of yours. Like I get that this is what evangelising is all about, but why waste your time on someone who is fine for God right now? Surely it's easier to start from 0 with a shaky agnostic rather than put all that effort into persuading someone to renounce their current religion?

(I also think it's horribly disrespectful and in bad taste, but the DIllards won't get that.)

Goes to show how pushy and insensitive D and J are, IMO.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

So, these ladies are learning English and getting a bible story? KJV  I'm guessing. How much sense does that make? I'm tutoring some kids from Afghanistan. Just because they can read the words, it doesn't mean they understand. And as someone else said, it's arrogant to think that there is only one (fundie) way to salvation.

I also doubt that the women were in burqas. Why would they talk to complete strangers and go to eat with them.

I can't imagine the Dullards considering/respecting certain dietary restrictions, like eating halal meat.

Kinda weird how all their evangelism seems to center less around Christianity and more around teaching people to cultivate Americanness: American food, American language, American Jesus.

(Anyway, what is up with their obsession with feeding people "American food"... in America???)

1 hour ago, AprilQuilt said:

I actually think it’s a lot easier to convert someone who is already religious then an atheist. The closer someone is to your religion, the less stuff you have to convince them to change. 

A religious muslim already believe in one true god and that the way you live on earth has effects in the afterlife. I on the other hand is almost convinced we’re all just here by weird chance and that we become nothing but wormfood no matter what we do, eat, wear or say. Sometimes I’m more open to other options but I don’t think they could convert me all the way to their crazy fundie cult. 

Sorry, I see now that you wrote agnostic, and a shaky one even, and that’s obviously easier then the atheist. 

A poster on Jill's feed asked how they'd feel if someone tried to evangelicize the Muslim faith to them. Derick chimed in (on JILL's wall) to mention that they have a copy of the Quran. Now, whether or not it's been opened is another story...

Or the old standby, "Pics or it didn't happen!" may apply here. 

5 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Kinda weird how all their evangelism seems to center less around Christianity and more around teaching people to cultivate Americanness: American food, American language, American Jesus.

(Anyway, what is up with their obsession with feeding people "American food"... in America???)

I can understand getting excited about introducing foreigners to typically American dishes/delicacies (my parents used to occasionally host "holiday orphan" international students from my sister's boarding school who were too far away from home to be with their families for the holidays, and would always be very eager to make Thanksgiving/Christmukkah extra special for them and really amp up the traditions and menu because it was a way to exchange/share our culture with them), but I do get the sense that Cross Church's aim is to make these international students act in a "Western"/American way that they deem acceptable, and abandon their own traditions or beliefs. 

25 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Fundies in a nutshell. They don't worship Jesus Christ, they don't worship God, they worship their own cult and American exceptionalism.

Agreed @nastyhobbitses. I'm hoping that this is more just curiousity on the part of the International students, rather than any need to convert to Christianity, despite what the Dullards may think of them. 

They believe that Jesus is the only way to get to Heaven. From John 14:6, "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." It doesn't matter that Muslims believe in God or that Jesus was a prophet because they have to actually accept Jesus as a savior in order to be saved. It's disturbing theology but not necessarily inconsistent.

I wonder if they'll host a student. A lot of students like homes with kids because kids can be easy to get to know and talk to when your English isn't perfect.

• samurai_sarah pinned, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived