IGNORED

Dillards 47: Tweeting Twit

samurai_sarah

1 minute ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Exactly this. 

I don't condone Derick. I have very little sympathy for him. He has it pretty cushy compared to so many others out there.

My niece and nephew lost their dad two years ago.  They were 14, 17 and 20 at the time.  They have all struggled to deal with the loss.  They are finding their way.  Thankfully, none have turned fundie.  Sometimes in life, we are dealt a shitty hand, but we have to keep on living, move forward best we can.  I ain't giving Derick a pass just because his dad died.  

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

My niece and nephew lost their dad two years ago.  They were 14, 17 and 20 at the time.  They have all struggled to deal with the loss.  They are finding their way.  Thankfully, none have turned fundie.  Sometimes in life, we are dealt a shitty hand, but we have to keep on living, move forward best we can.  I ain't giving Derick a pass just because his dad died.  

:tw_heart: 

So they think their way of life, and only their way of life, is the only way to get to heaven and the other 7 billions of us is going to hell? That’s sounds like a really sad way to live. And what kind of god is that to believe in? One that created man and then gave such shitty instructions on how to live to avoid eternal hell that almost everyone missunderstood them?

Lucky for them that they happened to be born to parents that got it. I was born in a family were no one believed in god at all. Where I was never told about Jesus. So I was pretty much screwed at birth then? Thanks god!

Seeing that they are getting such an easy way in to heaven they should really be nicer to the rest of us. 

29 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

So they think their way of life, and only their way of life, is the only way to get to heaven and the other 7 billions of us is going to hell? That’s sounds like a really sad way to live. And what kind of god is that to believe in? One that created man and then gave such shitty instructions on how to live to avoid eternal hell that almost everyone missunderstood them?

It Is. It's a terrible, sad, shitty way to live and it can really mess with you. I came from a non religious family and joined the church when I was a teenager and I vividly remember *bawling my eyes out* at my first alter call, my poor youth leader thought I was having some super emotional reaction to being saved. 

Nope. I was bawling out of guilt and fear that my family would be going to hell (because I was young and that's what it seemed like everyone believed. Because Heaven was heaven and hell was hell and it wasn't something you were supposed to question). It was a terrible feeling and one that I remember well to this day. And honestly one that I still struggle with because I love parts of the church, I moved across the country about a year ago and the three things I miss most are my best friend, my job and my church family. I still struggle with reconciling my love for my family and my belief that they are GOOD people with my relationship with my religion (thankfully there's some more modern biblical writers and theologians who are bringing forward some different beliefs on the whole heaven and hell thing (Benjamin Corey, Rob Bell). And as an aside if anyone is interested in this topic and has the opportunity I would highly recommend the play The Christians by Lucas Hnath) Bottom line. Religion is complicated, belief is complicated.

I also had a super long reply typed out about Derrick but TBH I think that @singsingsing said pretty much exactly what I was going to but much more succinctly. 

8 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

I have been blocked by Derick on twitter. Can I have a special title for this badge of honor? I never said anything hateful. I just backed up what I had to say with the Bible.

Can I get a special title for this? "Blocked by Dillard for quoiting  scripture"?

Has Derick started taking lessons from Lori Alexander on how to block people who use scripture? No, wait. Lori never teaches men! :pb_lol:

7 hours ago, 0Kidsandnotcounting said:

This is gonna be long and I know I’m probably gonna get downvoted for this, but I think all the speculation of Derek being unhinged and having an anger problem because of his tweets is ridiculous. I get it, most of us don’t agree with his beliefs, and the way he expresses can be off putting, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s automatically a hateful person. It’s not like any of us know him personally, so he could technically be horrible for all we know, but I don’t think his public behavior indicates that.

I’m a feminist, prochoice, atheist, so I’m pretty far from fundie, but I used to be a Christian and had very conservative views, and I live in Arkansas, which is filled with conservatives, so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of why Derek (and the rest of them) do/believe the things they do, so it’s hard for me to jump to the conclusion that they’re all just hateful and have a superiority complex and that’s why their way is the right way.

The Duggars and other fundies/really devout conservative Christians really believe that there is only one right way to live, and the alternative to that is being separated from all things good and burning in hell for all eternity. When thinking of it that way, it makes sense why people like that don’t have a live and let live attitude. I find missionaries pretty annoying, but I’m sure Jill and Derek really think they’re saving souls by trying to convert people. If you really believed that you had the God given truth about life and how to avoid hell, it would seem almost evil to not spread it and ‘save’ other people if you could.

Like I don’t think Derek sat in front of his computer and plotted how he was going to be evil that day and piss off the liberals by saying that being trans isn’t natural. I’m sure he thinks he’s just spreading the truth, and the truth is the truth regardless of whether or not people like it or think it’s hateful. To me, it doesn’t seem like he’s gotten angrier. If anything, it seems like he’s just passionate about his beliefs and doesn’t care how anyone feels about it.

Lots of non fundies have a lot of the same beliefs as the Duggars, and maybe living in Arkansas has desensitized me, but I just don’t find Derek’s or any of their beliefs shocking at all. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t agree with any of the stuff they believe becoming law, and I don’t agree with Derek’s political choices, but that’s part of life. There will always be people fighting for political things you don’t believe in on both sides. I’m sure they think Liberals are basically sending everyone to hell, which is why they have to spread their message and fill their quivers with god arrows or whatever. Tweeting at Derek (or any fundie) calling him hateful isn’t gonna change his beliefs. In their eyes you’re all just brainwashed by the devil and liberal media and unknowingly trying to drag everyone else to hell with you.

I’m not saying everyone should become Duggar fans and applaud them for trying to evangelize everyone or even like them, but it seems like many people use their beliefs as a reason to not view them objectively and I don’t think that helps either. People calling them hateful bigots, insulting their appearance and lifestyle isn’t going to make them suddenly not be fundie. Just like them telling the rest of the world they’re going to hell isn’t going to make people suddenly want to be fundie.

@DarkAnts got blocked for explaining her opinion by quoting scripture. Derrick should at least respect that or counterargue.

Like Derrick, I lost my dad when I was 19. I grieved, definitely wasn't myself for a long time, but grief doesn't make you hateful.

8 hours ago, 0Kidsandnotcounting said:

And I'm not saying what's normal in Arkansas is normal for everywhere, but I know calling someone a bigot usually just makes them block out whatever else you're saying and, if anything, makes them feel like persecuted christians. Not that people should treat them like sensitive babies, but no progress is going to be made if no one tries to see things from others perspective and just throw insults. it confirms their beliefs that the world is evil, and probably intensifies their need to try to convert people and legislate their ridiculous laws. 

Bigots should always be called out on their bigoted behavior. This is a snark site, so of course there's name calling here. We're not trying to convert anyone. In real life when debates strike up, I imagine most don't start with the word "bigot." 

You sound like you want them to be coddled and I just disagree with that stance. The Dillards (and Duggars) have disgusting beliefs and should be called out for them every single time they post. They may clutch their pearls a bit, but they can't ignore that they're getting criticism and deep down it likely does get to them. And I don't need to hate a specific group of people to gain their perspective to know it's wrong. 

4 hours ago, LacyMay said:

It Is. It's a terrible, sad, shitty way to live and it can really mess with you. I came from a non religious family and joined the church when I was a teenager and I vividly remember *bawling my eyes out* at my first alter call, my poor youth leader thought I was having some super emotional reaction to being saved. 

Nope. I was bawling out of guilt and fear that my family would be going to hell (because I was young and that's what it seemed like everyone believed. Because Heaven was heaven and hell was hell and it wasn't something you were supposed to question). It was a terrible feeling and one that I remember well to this day. And honestly one that I still struggle with because I love parts of the church, I moved across the country about a year ago and the three things I miss most are my best friend, my job and my church family. I still struggle with reconciling my love for my family and my belief that they are GOOD people with my relationship with my religion (thankfully there's some more modern biblical writers and theologians who are bringing forward some different beliefs on the whole heaven and hell thing (Benjamin Corey, Rob Bell). And as an aside if anyone is interested in this topic and has the opportunity I would highly recommend the play The Christians by Lucas Hnath) Bottom line. Religion is complicated, belief is complicated.

I had such a similar experience. Never had an altar call, but one of the things - maybe the main thing - I really struggled with when I was trying to embrace orthodox (small o) Christianity was this belief that anyone who is not 'saved' is going to hell. Well, that encompasses most of my family, who are good people and who I love very much. They're going to burn for eternity? Now there are plenty of ways to interpret the Bible differently, but that's still a pretty mainstream Christian belief.

I was involved in Christianity* for quite a few years in my early-mid 20s, and even though the church I wound up in was pretty liberal and awesome in a lot of ways, it also screwed me up in some ways, I think. I miss many things about my church community and have been wishing I could find a new church, or make the old one work for me; but on the flip side, there were some not so great things that I don't really want to revisit. 

And I've grown to absolutely hate Christian culture. Conservative Christian culture is narrow-minded, bigoted and suffocating, and liberal Christian culture is self-important, naval-gazing, and melodramatic (obviously I'm making sweeping generalizations, here). Both sides are full of self-appointed self-help gurus selling their dubious 'expertise', both sides are full of emotional vampirism. Conservative Christians love to talk about how evil and sinful and in need of repentance we are, liberal Christians just soften it by changing the words to 'damaged' and 'broken' and 'healing'. It's exhausting.

*I still have some kind of belief in Jesus Christ. I'm not sure if it's philosophical or spiritual or vaguely both, but I've decided to just roll with it. This is what I believe - okay. That's enough. I don't have to try to twist my brain into a pretzel to believe anything else. I don't have to conform my beliefs to those of any particular church. I don't have to analyze and research and find all the 'right' answers. I'm just letting it be. It's a new and much more relaxed state of mind for me! :) 

Does this thread consistently/repeatedly crash for anyone else whenever someone shares an instagram post? It's only this thread, but it's been happening for months for me.

@Iamtheway

that's exactly what they, and lots of other people who interpret the bible that way, believe. That usually comes along with a very black and white world view. Anything that doesn't come from God or is against what's considered natural, is bad and will lead to hell. Also, it's a common belief that more people will go to hell than heaven (idk why a 'loving' God would create a hell, or send most of his creations there, but that's another topic) that's actually a pretty terrifying belief to live with. 

It's embarrassing now, but I used to have beliefs like that, and like @LacyMay I was scared that my family would go to hell. That combined with the fact that I'm pretty passionate abt my beliefs and views lead to me sometimes preaching at my family members to live the 'right' way, but it was only out love because I didn't want them to go to hell. It wasn't an all the time thing and I wasn't going around trying to evangelize people, but my core beliefs was mostly the same as the Duggars, and that's so cringey to me now to even think about. I was 'raised' in a bit of a chaotic way, so I see why some people who aren't raised fundie would be attracted to that lifestyle and belief system; it seemingly offers order and the answer to everything. Sure there's the belief about possibly burning in hell for eternity, but like I said in my original post, the truth is the truth regardless of whether or not anyone likes it, and to many people that belief system is the truth. 

Now I'm pretty much a heathen by fundie standards and I love it. In my experience, what reduces the number of extreme Christians is exposure to knowledge. Liberals calling them hateful and bigots usually only reaffirms their beliefs because they're expecting the world to be against them because Satan or something. But it's pretty hard to get knowledge to people like this though, because they usually run from it to preserve their worldview. 

On 12/22/2017 at 7:21 PM, llg1234 said:

If we're all god's children, shouldn't his priority be having everyone be happy and healthy? You know, like any normal parent.

Except God isn't human nor a parent, He should not be treated as such. People like Derick need be understand this, they need to stop anamorphizing and humanizing God as a father figure, this kind of talk turns people away from Him.

Also, if god ~works in mysterious ways~ and if we're unable to fully comprehend his power, what makes someone like Derick think he has all the right ideas about religion and who is saved vs. who isn't?

I am Muslim but whenever I hear a Christian says "God works in mysterious ways" , I usually tell them this verse from the Bible: "God is not the author of confusion".

I'm sure I'm way behind on this, but I'm amazed how clearly indifferent to/annoyed by his boys D-Wreck seems in that Instagram video. Like Israel is so cute, and Samuel is absolutely PRECIOUS, and Israel is expressing such sweet affection for his brother, and all D-Wreck can do is snip at him and get flustered that his two-year-old isn't enraptured by his reading of the Bible...? Wtf. And Jill apparently thinks it's normal enough to show the world....????

Did JB interact with the J-kids that way? I remember him as being a relatively warm and patient father, especially next to Michelle.

I just want to adopt Izzy and Samuel and save them from that clearly dysfunctional family. :cry:

On 12/25/2017 at 12:14 AM, rainbowbabycakes said:

The cover looks like a little golden book...With that said, while I read bible story and board books to my son as a toddler, we always read the Christmas story from the Bible

If you scroll through the pictures in that post, you can see he's just reading from a bible. If you hover your mouse over the left of the picture an arrow will appear and you can see the other pictures/video.

I finally watched the video.

Derick: Did you know Jesus was born-

Izzy: Yes

Derick: I wasn't finished with the question.

Izzy doesn't have time for your BS, Derick. Also how does he justify turning away immigrants in need when that's what Jesus' parents were? Also Izzy reaching out to gently touch Sam's cheek while the two of them looked at each other was super adorable.

1 hour ago, 0Kidsandnotcounting said:

Now I'm pretty much a heathen by fundie standards and I love it. In my experience, what reduces the number of extreme Christians is exposure to knowledge. Liberals calling them hateful and bigots usually only reaffirms their beliefs because they're expecting the world to be against them because Satan or something. But it's pretty hard to get knowledge to people like this though, because they usually run from it to preserve their worldview. 

Yes exactly. Knowledge is the key. But how do you bring knowledge to people who go to great lengths to avoid it?

How is it that there are more threads about these two than anyone else, even the main Duggars thread? Is it because Derrick is that much of a dick that he causes such passionate responses?  Did I just answer my own question? 

"Santa conspiracy theorists" :pb_lol: They're called CHILDREN, you asshole. Also Santa's sleigh is a UFO? Interesting...I like it. Advanced alien technology must be the secret behind Santa getting to houses all over the world in one night.

40 minutes ago, JMO said:

How is it that there are more threads about these two than anyone else, even the main Duggars thread? Is it because Derrick is that much of a dick that he causes such passionate responses?  Did I just answer my own question? 

I don't know, but whenever I'm away from FJ for a few days this is always the thread that takes me the longest to catch up on. 

Also that clip of Derick reading to the boys is so awkward. How he interacts with them is just so strange. Even Michelle who wasn't the most warm seemed to be at least comfortable around the Jkids, Derick just seems like he can't grasp that they are an infant and a toddler. 

I honestly don't know that I've seen another Duggar or Duggar inlaw seem so distant in their interaction with their kids. Heck even Jeremy seems to be more engaged when I see clips of him with Spurgeon and Henry and they aren't even his kids. 

The vibe I get from Derick is that someone just plopped two strange kids on his lap and walked away. 

Santa Conspiracy Theorists?! I didn't realize that Santa was one giant conspiracy. Thank God Derick is around to set me straight. *sarcasm* 

Derick's the reason we can't have nice things! 

14 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

"Santa conspiracy theorists" :pb_lol: They're called CHILDREN, you asshole. Also Santa's sleigh is a UFO? Interesting...I like it. Advanced alien technology must be the secret behind Santa getting to houses all over the world in one night.

He's a jerk, but he was very clearly not serious here.

14 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

He's a jerk, but he was very clearly not serious here.

He still manages to come across as a Dick though. Even when he attempts to be sarcastic.  Just not good with the talkin' that one. 

He constantly looks miserable - from embracing his wife to reading to his kids.  He doesn't groom himself; he wears ill-fitting, sloppy clothes.  His tweets are full of vitriol and defensiveness.  Any one in isolation wouldn't amount to much, but together it paints the portrait of a disappointed and depressed man.

Just watched the video.  8===Derick is so annoyed!  I figured a little exaggerating was going on.  Nope.  No one is having a good time because of Dericks story time.   Izzy and Sam are so sweet together.   Look how Sam loves big bro!! And, Izzy loves his baby brother.  Oh, I miss my kids being that young together.  It's the best.   Why can't their dad see this?  Disturbing, actually.  

• samurai_sarah pinned, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived