IGNORED

Dillards 47: Tweeting Twit

samurai_sarah

A synagogue one town over has started inviting families in neighboring towns to attend story times on the Sundays before major holidays. Velocibaby was a bit young this year, but I’d love to start taking her at some point. Other than that my only real experience was attending one night of Hanukkah at a neighbor’s house when I was very young, knowing a few Jewish people, and the excellent “Rugrats” episodes that focused on the Jewish faith. I loved those episodes and I really need to try and find DVDs with them on it. 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

A synagogue one town over has started inviting families in neighboring towns to attend story times on the Sundays before major holidays. Velocibaby was a bit young this year, but I’d love to start taking her at some point. Other than that my only real experience was attending one night of Hanukkah at a neighbor’s house when I was very young, knowing a few Jewish people, and the excellent “Rugrats” episodes that focused on the Jewish faith. I loved those episodes and I really need to try and find DVDs with them on it. 

Having been raised Jewish, those story time things are often super fun. If it's anything like the synagogue I went to growing up (Reform with what my grandma somewhat derisively calls a "guitar rabbi"), it's a lot of fun songs and while they're pushing the God thing (it's kinda obligatory), the focus is more on the morals and how the stories apply to our world and daily lives. 

Keep in mind I went to a pretty hippie-ish Reform Jewish synagogue and an even more hippie-ish Jewish summer camp (how hippie, you ask? I can count at least five ways to shoehorn a Dispatch/Bob Marley/Guster/Phish song into a Shabbat service), but it is a lot of fun. 

My husband's father (and his entire side of the family) are Jewish.  My husband's mother is Catholic. (the marriage was a pretty big scandal at the time.  She's still the only non-Jewish spouse in the family except me and husband's brother's wife.)  They raised their two sons largely non-religious but in the occasional Catholic mass.  I was raised baptist by a baptist mother and a Church of God father, attended a presbyterian college, and still am not sure what I am, but hubs and I take our kids to a baptist church.  It's still super important to me that we allow our daughters to explore their heritage, so as they get older, I'll make sure they attend the Jewish weddings and celebrations with FIL's family.  It has been a wonderful experience for me since I joined the family and I think my husband has liked reconnecting with his roots, so to speak.  Even his mother is more involved in certain traditions than she used to be.  It just made me sad that my FIL was lighting his Hanukkah candles alone every year, so I'm glad I'm making everyone participate. :my_biggrin:

@VelociRapture and anyone else who has children and is interested in Jewish culture, check out PJ Library.  They send free books every month or so and you do not have to be Jewish (but maybe remember them when you make annual charity gifts...but that's optional).  My girls love the books and I learn from them as well.

Please carry on here- sorry, there were so many great suggestions for a new thread-title, I had to pick something...

• samurai_sarah pinned, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived