IGNORED

Seewalds 27: Playing not Cleaning

Coconut Flan

Reformed theology is the sociopath's bastardization of Christianity. American conservative evangelicals* are the most morally bankrupt group of Christians I've ever encountered. It's amazing. It's like they got together and said to themselves, "Okay, how can we take the message of Jesus and twist it so that it's actually the complete opposite, and then use that as a weapon to oppress and terrorize everyone else while empowering and enriching ourselves?" And then they have the balls to call themselves 'biblical literalists'. The fuck?

*As a group. I'm not attacking individual conservative evangelicals, some of whom are wonderful people, and I sincerely hope that they can work to rescue their group from this vile hypocrisy, but I'm afraid it's already too late.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@singsingsing this sounds alarming as you have indicated. And this is what Bin is studying, am I understanding that correctly. I was raised RC and know noting of Protestant theology at all.

if so holy cow.

On 10/31/2017 at 4:16 AM, Marly said:

I really liked these pictures.
They did make me wonder though: how long are the church services they attend, seeing that they are taking infants with them?
The fundies I know never took children under four years old with them to church, because they considered the services to be too long for such young children. When they turned four, they were old enough to attend 'kiddy church': a special service attuned to children that was held in a different room in the church at the same time as the 'normal' service. The kids only had to attend 15/20 minutes of the normal service, and then they were off to kiddy church. (Mind you, these were very strict fundies: no birthcontrol, man is head of woman, strict gender divisions and roles, women aren't allowed to work outside of the home etc. ) I always thought that this was normal (for fundies). However, I noticed that the Duggars' and Bates'  do bring infants to church with them. How does that work? Are the services really short, or is there a special 'church daycare' room where the infants are being looked after while the partents attend the service? Or do they use some kind of (questionable/objectionable) disciplinary method to teach their kids to be quiet and mindful during service?

From past footage (from when Josie was young), I believe at the Duggars home church there is a back room with toys that they take the kids too when they can't sit still. 

But from what I gathered Ben & Jessa actually attend the church Ben is working at in Siloam Springs..they might have an infant  or quiet room there as well where you can sit and listen but kids wont disturb or they have a smaller service

I really don't understand how you can twist the new testament into what reformed evangelicalism apparently is. What's the point of even trying to be a good person if it's all predetermined???

DQ and Boob posted a happy anniversary message for Benessa. It, of course, is about how godly they are and not about their actual relationship. :2wankers:

Can Jim Bob and Michelle not for once post something about Jessa and Ben without bringing God into it. They seem to know little about them as people. They post the most generic crap for birthday and anniversary posts all the time. They just see their kids and in laws as numbers nothing about them as people.

2 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Can Jim Bob and Michelle not for once post something about Jessa and Ben any of their family without bringing God into it. They seem to know little about them as people.

And, I agree. :)

It's sad really. They know nothing about Jessa and Ben's personalities outside of that they love God. 

On 10/24/2017 at 10:04 PM, singsingsing said:

My top three favourite conspiracy theories:

1. Sasquatch

2. Phantom Time Hypothesis*

3. Wolves domesticated humans

*I don't even remotely think this one is plausible, I just find it incredibly amusing

I have never heard of number 3. Off down that rabbit hole! Thank you. 

@Screamapillar - Have you seen the recently released photo of what is thought to be Amelia Earhart and her navigator? There is this great episode of the show Unsolved Mysteries which presents the theory they were captured by the Japanese for being spies and in the 60's American Marines found her plane and personal information. When they went to tell their superiors - they burned the plane and all the ephemera which led the Unsolved Mysteries team to believe they were actually spies. There is more detail to be found, its really interesting. 

Spoiler

AmeliaEarhart.jpg.3ab65a117411b40ea331c80452f408e1.jpg

14 minutes ago, merg429 said:

@Screamapillar - Have you seen the recently released photo of what is thought to be Amelia Earhart and her navigator? There is this great episode of the show Unsolved Mysteries which presents the theory they were captured by the Japanese for being spies and in the 60's American Marines found her plane and personal information. When they went to tell their superiors - they burned the plane and all the ephemera which led the Unsolved Mysteries team to believe they were actually spies. There is more detail to be found, its really interesting. 

Reveal hidden contents

ETA: This is my favorite thread drift ever! 

30 minutes ago, merg429 said:

Hide contents

Debunked. This photo was taken two years before she disappeared.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/07/amelia-earhart-lost-photograph-discredited-spd/

Ben grew up with Calvinist leanings, so it's not at all suprising he's interning at a Reformed Baptist church. 

I will say that there is some nuance with theology and whatnot, so we don't know exactly what he believes, but some basic general theology is apparent.

Jeremy also has slight reformed leanings. Just look at his so-called idol; John MacArthur's (founder of GCC) Wikipedia page. Jeremy is deeply into theological accuracy, so I think we can get a grasp on what he believes by looking st MacArthur's theology. Spoiler alert: it involves complementariansim, distrust of psychology, young earth creationism and saying RC's aren't Christian. 

Basically, don't de sidetracked by pants, cute babies, art, media savvy etc. These people are dangerous and actively spread some really messed-up ideology. 

and here I was the only forgetting the wedding of the perfect couple 

Happy Anniversary. 
Who wants to watch the wedding with me tonight ? 8pm my time and we can snark on new stuff

Where is our standard greeting from the blessed couple - anytime now 

Anybody else's eyes roll so hard at Ben's "testimony". Poor Ben being consumed by dreams of being a football star at 12 years old. Thank goodness he came to his senses by the time he was a midteen. Some real life struggles right there. 

While I don't like reformed theology, I will say that Ben's twitter feed seems to reflect a modicum of mainstream Christian teaching.  Unlike Derick, whose tweets promote a politicized churchianity.      

Wow, that Ben bio doesn't even mention that he's married to a Duggar. As if anyone would care to listen to what he had to say if he weren't married to Jessa!

1 hour ago, snickerz said:

Wow, that Ben bio doesn't even mention that he's married to a Duggar. As if anyone would care to listen to what he had to say if he weren't married to Jessa!

I actually really liked that - it presents him as his own person, and isn't using the fame of the name.  I gave him points for that (though I guess fans would know anyway, but still)

5 hours ago, SCROW10 said:

actually attend the church Ben is working at in Siloam Springs

I didn't know that Ben was working at a church! ha, I feel out of the loop now! Does anyone know what it is that he's doing there? 

I know of someone who disappeared.  She was a single mother and went to a neighbor's place with her three year old, asked the neighbour to watch the child while the mother went to the store, left the apartment and disappeared off the face of the earth.  The store she was going to was not that far away (walking distance), and she'd been there before so they knew her there, but the shopkeepers didn't see her that night, so whatever happened, happened right after she left the house.

Over 30 years probably and no trace of her whatsoever.

Not really a conspiracy, but is anyone else familiar with the whole Missing 411 thing?  That and Skinwalker Ranch freak me out.

Jessa' letter to Ben, that she shared on the Blog for all to see, was very preachy but it is apparent she loves him. I imagine him to be her calming influence. 

13 minutes ago, Markie said:

Jessa' letter to Ben, that she shared on the Blog for all to see, was very preachy but it is apparent she loves him. I imagine him to be her calming influence. 

and good news he is meek as well 

wonders never cease and he PRAYS beside the bed 

Jessa's anniversary message to Ben in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Anniversary Message From Jessa!

November 1, 2017

Dearest Benjamin,

I thought we'd reached the pinnacle of our love on this day, three years ago... but since then, you've taken me from the mountain top up into the clouds! Darling, I love you more today than ever before. 

Sure, we worked through our squabbles and disagreements, like anyone else. But because of your meekness and gentleness in the midst of trials, I always come out loving you even more. 

God is constantly opening my eyes to the many blessings, big and small, that I've received through you...and my heart overflows with gratefulness. 

The greatest blessing is the visible evidence that Christ is truly your treasure. When I wake in the wee hours of the morning to tend to Henry and you're not beside me in bed, I know that you're already up reading and studying your bible. 

Many a time I have walked into the spare bedroom and discovered you there, kneeling beside the bed, in prayer... and it's brought tears to my eyes. 

I have loved our recently developing family devotions, as you lead us in prayer and reading the word. And though I laughed a bit and felt a teeny bit awkward at first, I'm now especially loving the aspect of singing together, with the boys, in family worship. 

You have a love for learning, and your ever-expanding library makes this quite evident. When an Amazon prime package shows up on the doorstep, it's almost always another book. I love that you share what you're learning with me, whether it's an excerpt from one of 9Marks new books or a link to a DesiringGod article. I love it when we break out into theological discussions and the back and forth of opinion that follows. Your words are engaging, and you draw out my perspective on things. 

You have a discipling mindset-- one that wants to see fellow believers grow and flourish in their relationship with Christ.  Conversations with you are spiritually driven and exhorting in nature. I love listening in. You're so passionate about the gospel. 

You are my calm when things are going haywire. Over and over, I've heard you say, "It'll be ok, Babe, just take a deep breath." And it's just what I've needed at that very moment. You know when I'm stressed you whatever to help lighten my load.  

You're a very detailed person, and your work is very meticulous--no matter what you're doing. For instance, you iron, I don't... ok, maybe I do, like twice a year.   

Ok, can I brag on your cooking skills for a min? How is it that you can think up recipes off the top of your head, and they actually taste good? I, on the other hand, try to be a cool chef... so I substitute sour cream when we run out of milk for the pancakes. It's dairy, right? No, that was not ok. You love the challenge of making a complicated recipe. I don't. I dump dressing on greens, and that's my salad. You gather 14 ingredients and spend 20 min throwing together an amazing Greek salad that tops any Mediterranean restaurant around. 

You're my motivator for lifestyle habits such as healthy eating and working out. I definitely eat wayyy less McDonalds french fries and cheeseburgers now. Haha! They just taste so good! Hey, and you even gave up our original steakhouse idea and treated me to whopper from Burger King on last year's anniversary... because I hadn't had one in years, and it was a "pregnancy craving". 

Dinner dates with you are great, and I love that you get me out of my comfort zone and encourage me to try new things. I am a creature of habit, but you rarely ever order the same thing twice. I remember one dinner date early in our marriage, finishing my food quickly... because I eat rather fast. And then I looked over, and there you are, taking your time. You told me "I like to really enjoy my food--savor the flavors." Seeing your food there, I felt I had room for a few more bites, so I grabbed my fork and took a few nibbles.

You: "Uhh Babe, are you still hungry, 'cause we can order you some more food?"

Me: "No, not much. It's just sorta romantic to snatch bites of food from your plate, ya know? I don't do this to anyone else!" 

You were so kind to oblige. 

"Aww, well you take as much as you want, Lovey." And you still offer me bites of your food to this day! I know it may sound dumb, but that really makes me feel loved. This is one of those little things that I just love about you. The underlying reality is bigger than a bite of your steak or sip of your Mocha latte. Maybe it's connected to the feeling a girl gets when she wears her guy's t-shirts, or when he offers her his jacket on a cold day. Thanks for these little selfless expressions of love. 

You're one of the most down-to-earth and humble people I know. I love that we have fun and laugh together. I love your made-up jokes and your cheesy play on words. You have me laughing out loud all the time. I genuinely love your sense of humor. 

The list of the things I love about you is endless. I am forever being reminded of just how incredibly blessed I am to call you mine. 

Happy anniversary, Benjamin. 

I think the world of you!

Love,

Jes

2 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Jessa's anniversary message to Ben in the spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

Anniversary Message From Jessa!

November 1, 2017

Dearest Benjamin,

I thought we'd reached the pinnacle of our love on this day, three years ago... but since then, you've taken me from the mountain top up into the clouds! Darling, I love you more today than ever before. 

Sure, we worked through our squabbles and disagreements, like anyone else. But because of your meekness and gentleness in the midst of trials, I always come out loving you even more. 

God is constantly opening my eyes to the many blessings, big and small, that I've received through you...and my heart overflows with gratefulness. 

The greatest blessing is the visible evidence that Christ is truly your treasure. When I wake in the wee hours of the morning to tend to Henry and you're not beside me in bed, I know that you're already up reading and studying your bible. 

Many a time I have walked into the spare bedroom and discovered you there, kneeling beside the bed, in prayer... and it's brought tears to my eyes. 

I have loved our recently developing family devotions, as you lead us in prayer and reading the word. And though I laughed a bit and felt a teeny bit awkward at first, I'm now especially loving the aspect of singing together, with the boys, in family worship. 

You have a love for learning, and your ever-expanding library makes this quite evident. When an Amazon prime package shows up on the doorstep, it's almost always another book. I love that you share what you're learning with me, whether it's an excerpt from one of 9Marks new books or a link to a DesiringGod article. I love it when we break out into theological discussions and the back and forth of opinion that follows. Your words are engaging, and you draw out my perspective on things. 

You have a discipling mindset-- one that wants to see fellow believers grow and flourish in their relationship with Christ.  Conversations with you are spiritually driven and exhorting in nature. I love listening in. You're so passionate about the gospel. 

You are my calm when things are going haywire. Over and over, I've heard you say, "It'll be ok, Babe, just take a deep breath." And it's just what I've needed at that very moment. You know when I'm stressed you whatever to help lighten my load.  

You're a very detailed person, and your work is very meticulous--no matter what you're doing. For instance, you iron, I don't... ok, maybe I do, like twice a year.   

Ok, can I brag on your cooking skills for a min? How is it that you can think up recipes off the top of your head, and they actually taste good? I, on the other hand, try to be a cool chef... so I substitute sour cream when we run out of milk for the pancakes. It's dairy, right? No, that was not ok. You love the challenge of making a complicated recipe. I don't. I dump dressing on greens, and that's my salad. You gather 14 ingredients and spend 20 min throwing together an amazing Greek salad that tops any Mediterranean restaurant around. 

You're my motivator for lifestyle habits such as healthy eating and working out. I definitely eat wayyy less McDonalds french fries and cheeseburgers now. Haha! They just taste so good! Hey, and you even gave up our original steakhouse idea and treated me to whopper from Burger King on last year's anniversary... because I hadn't had one in years, and it was a "pregnancy craving". 

Dinner dates with you are great, and I love that you get me out of my comfort zone and encourage me to try new things. I am a creature of habit, but you rarely ever order the same thing twice. I remember one dinner date early in our marriage, finishing my food quickly... because I eat rather fast. And then I looked over, and there you are, taking your time. You told me "I like to really enjoy my food--savor the flavors." Seeing your food there, I felt I had room for a few more bites, so I grabbed my fork and took a few nibbles.

You: "Uhh Babe, are you still hungry, 'cause we can order you some more food?"

Me: "No, not much. It's just sorta romantic to snatch bites of food from your plate, ya know? I don't do this to anyone else!" 

You were so kind to oblige. 

"Aww, well you take as much as you want, Lovey." And you still offer me bites of your food to this day! I know it may sound dumb, but that really makes me feel loved. This is one of those little things that I just love about you. The underlying reality is bigger than a bite of your steak or sip of your Mocha latte. Maybe it's connected to the feeling a girl gets when she wears her guy's t-shirts, or when he offers her his jacket on a cold day. Thanks for these little selfless expressions of love. 

You're one of the most down-to-earth and humble people I know. I love that we have fun and laugh together. I love your made-up jokes and your cheesy play on words. You have me laughing out loud all the time. I genuinely love your sense of humor. 

The list of the things I love about you is endless. I am forever being reminded of just how incredibly blessed I am to call you mine. 

Happy anniversary, Benjamin. 

I think the world of you!

Love,

Jes

Yes, it's preachy and has some very religious bits, but at least it's about BEN and shows that Jessa actually does know and appreciate more about her partner than *just* his "love for God." 

Add me to the voices who were impressed that Ben's bio actually focused on him and not that he was Jessa Duggars husband. I'm torn because I deeply disagree with his ideologies and theology BUT I can appreciate the work he likely puts in academically and it must be nice for him to be recognized for his own twisted merits. 

Also paint me surprised but I enjoyed Jessa's anniversary message, they seem to genuinely care about each other. Pretty good for a quick courtship/engagement/marriage, teenaged groom, 2 kids in like 2 years situation.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived