IGNORED

Seewalds 27: Playing not Cleaning

Coconut Flan

Taking a look at the various social media accounts, Jill is the only married daughter who has her maiden name anywhere. 

I'm loving that Ben just retweeted "Share your heart with God before twitter." I wonder who that might be directed at?

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That message from Jessa was a great one by Duggar standards, but wow it made me sad for what Jessa's life was like pre-marriage.  All the stuff about how he opens her up to new experiences, and its things like trying new food and discussing different ideas - in anyone else that could be benign, but in the context of the Duggars having so many youngsters at home, without those opportunities, it just makes me depressed.

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

That message from Jessa was a great one by Duggar standards, but wow it made me sad for what Jessa's life was like pre-marriage.  

When I read it, I couldn't help but be a little sad. The thing that made me wonder was when she said that eats fast, did that come from years of not having enough food? Eat fast before someone else gets it. Now it's just a habit. 

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

When I read it, I couldn't help but be a little sad. The thing that made me wonder was when she said that eats fast, did that come from years of not having enough food? Eat fast before someone else gets it. Now it's just a habit. 

Yeah, I thought that too.  And the bit about being given food from Ben's plate to try as a really intimate gesture!  I know some people hate sharing food, but it's such a common thing to give people a taste, it feels really sad that it seems to special to her. 

I know it's probably wishful thinking, but I do hope that she wants to give her own kids a better life than she has.  I guess that would mean recognising that her own childhood wasn't great, though. 

2 hours ago, cascarones said:

Taking a look at the various social media accounts, Jill is the only married daughter who has her maiden name anywhere. 

I'm loving that Ben just retweeted "Share your heart with God before twitter." I wonder who that might be directed at?

I think much of what Ben tweets is at least partially in response to D'wreck's blathering.  When I put on my orthodox Christian hat, I can see twittering back to D'wreck the same kinds  of comments and retweets Ben comes up with.

8 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

When I read it, I couldn't help but be a little sad. The thing that made me wonder was when she said that eats fast, did that come from years of not having enough food? Eat fast before someone else gets it. 

Her saying that put in mind of the Friends episode where Ross and Rachel are arguing about food and Ross says I grew up with Monica if I didn't fast I didn't eat. Jessa probably had to eat quick because she knew if she didn't a sibling would likely grab her share. Before they got TV fame food was probably more scarce as well. Jessa does seem to love Ben and he is a loving husband and father. His beliefs may be terrible but beneath it he is at least a nice guy, Derick sucks on all levels.

This isn't the first time one of them has mentioned having to eat fast when they lived at home. I think it was Jill who said she would hide in the bathroom to eat. Seems like such a sad way to grow up, not to mention it probably encourages an unhealthy relationship with food.

9 minutes ago, Lurky said:

Yeah, I thought that too.  And the bit about being given food from Ben's plate to try as a really intimate gesture!  I know some people hate sharing food, but it's such a common thing to give people a taste, it feels really sad that it seems to special to her. 

I know it's probably wishful thinking, but I do hope that she wants to give her own kids a better life than she has.  I guess that would mean recognising that her own childhood wasn't great, though. 

Considering her childhood I can understand that line of thinking, however in my own relationship I do enjoy and appreciate how my husband and I share food. He doesn't have to ask to take a bite of my food, he'll just reach over and help himself and I'll do the same to him (just a bite, we don't steal half each other's plates). When we do stop at a fast food place or see a movie its often assumed that we will just get one drink to share between the two of us (unless he wants caffeine and I don't). If we're watching TV and I have water or juice or something and he doesn't he just helps himself to mine and I don't mind at all. I wouldn't do that type of stuff with anyone else so it does feel intimate in a way. So I don't really find it all that sad that she thinks its special- I feel the same way. I do have to wonder why she feels the need to share all these details of their relationship with the whole world though. I felt a little awkward reading that message. 

I just can't imagine sharing a note like that written to my husband to the entire world. It's just a bit too intimate for me.

I guess that's what not being a famewhore does to you.

Where is this spare bedroom that Jessa refers to in her message about Ben??

"Many a time I have walked into the spare bedroom and discovered you there, kneeling beside the bed, in prayer... and it's brought tears to my eyes. "

I thought they lived in Josh and Anna's old house which is 2 bedroom 1 bath?

Where are Spurge and Henry stashed? In a closet cage?

17 hours ago, seashell1025 said:

I didn't know that Ben was working at a church! ha, I feel out of the loop now! Does anyone know what it is that he's doing there? 

I thought someone upthread said he was Interning at Harvard Avenue Baptist in Siloam Springs: http://www.habc.net/

It is unclear if he is getting paid as an intern, but Moody Bible might require an internship/award credit for it.

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I eat super fast and food has never been an issue, some people just don't chew!

5 minutes ago, karen77 said:

I eat super fast and food has never been an issue, some people just don't chew!

My husband eats like it's his JOB.

32 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Where is this spare bedroom that Jessa refers to in her message about Ben??

"Many a time I have walked into the spare bedroom and discovered you there, kneeling beside the bed, in prayer... and it's brought tears to my eyes. "

I thought they lived in Josh and Anna's old house which is 2 bedroom 1 bath?

Where are Spurge and Henry stashed? In a closet cage?

think Spurgeon sleeps in a crib in their room and Henry sleeps in their bed. I'm not sure why they wouldn't put at least Spurgeon in the other room, but hey, if it works for them, rock on. I know they kept talking about being in the market for a bigger house, so maybe they're just not bothering to change the sleeping situation up until they move?

Jessa has mentioned before that Spurgeon didn't sleep well for quite a while. I think she said 18 months so maybe if they all sleep in the one room together, he sleeps better. My son still doesn't sleep that well and ends up in our bed a lot. Whatever works. It also gives me some comfort that if they all sleep in the same room, Jessa isn't likely doing any harsh sleep training with them.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

think Spurgeon sleeps in a crib in their room and Henry sleeps in their bed. I'm not sure why they wouldn't put at least Spurgeon in the other room, but hey, if it works for them, rock on. I know they kept talking about being in the market for a bigger house, so maybe they're just not bothering to change the sleeping situation up until they move?

I’d agree, but I feel like this post implies they have their own room. Unless they refer to the master bedroom as the boys’ room. 

ETA: Maybe they just alternate referring to the second bedroom as the boys’ room or guest room, depending on what it’s currently being used for?

13 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Jessa must love those brown towels.

I just remember when Josh and Anna lived there, every single room was just brown on brown on brown. Those might be the same brown towels from J&A. The only thing not brown was the razorbacks-colored kitchen. It drove me nuts. 

I cannot stand brown, the house we bought had the entire bottom floor painted in brown and I attacked that with paint the minute I got the keys. 

3 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I cannot stand brown, the house we bought had the entire bottom floor painted in brown and I attacked that with paint the minute I got the keys. 

I agree - brown anything is just not flattering.  I have white towels for hands and face, a yellow Maui towel and a striped towel for my hair.

TMI :)

It may be that the room they refer to as a spare bedroom is not a legal bedroom. It could be a den or an office that functions better for them as a guest room, so that's how it's set up (maybe also with an office set up). I know lots of houses that do double duty with their office space like that and call it the spare room. 

I also know families where the kids sleep with the parents but still have a "bedroom". It's currently a place to store their things that they will eventually transition into.

Lots of options. Who knows what Jessa means or how they use their space.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived