IGNORED

Seewalds 27: Playing not Cleaning

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

Not trying to jump back on the past thread-drift - but can anyone suggest ways to trace genealogy that are affordable (or maybe even free)

Agree with @Rachel333 about Family Search as a decent free starting point.

Even better is to use Ancestry.com (amazing wealth of info). The Mormons ("The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints") maintain Family History Centers at most of their local churches. You don't have to be a Mormon or a church member to use them, and they don't proselytize; when I've gone, they've been very helpful and friendly (like reference librarians). The hours are usually a bit limited, but if you can go when they're open, you can use their computers and their Ancestry.com subscription.

A few (but not very many) public libraries have Ancestry.com subscriptions; worth asking anyway. Personally, I find it worth subscribing (annual subscription that works out to less than $10 per month) but then genealogy is my hobby. If you only pay for one thing, that's what I'd recommend paying for.

What's the status of the Genealogy Club here at FJ? Someone said upthread that it would be approved, but I haven't seen it show up on the Clubs page yet.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's sad that Jessa feels she has no choice but to give birth to eleventy children (refering to her message to J'chelle). That she is not really in control of her own body. I hate fundamentalism.

1 hour ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

Every time Jessa has a birthday it reminds me that she's the closest Duggar to me in age, a few months younger than me. It's so weird to compare her day to day life with mine. I can't imagine already having two kids to take care of! Do any of you who are close in age to a Duggar or other fundie think about this sort of thing?

Josh is two months older than me and Anna is one month younger. I prefer to avoid thinking about either of them. So no. :pb_lol:

Every time Jessa has a birthday it reminds me that she's the closest Duggar to me in age, a few months younger than me. It's so weird to compare her day to day life with mine. I can't imagine already having two kids to take care of! Do any of you who are close in age to a Duggar or other fundie think about this sort of thing?

Not really. I try not to put people into boxes just based on their age and the Duggars are so far removed from reality that its hard to make a fair comparison. 

I’m the same age as Michelle...and am very glad that I had only two kids.  I cannot imagine having to raise all the under 18s that she still has.  Oh wait, she’s got Jana to do that.

Just looked up the Duggar and Bates birthdays out of curiosity. I'm closest in age to Jana, JD, and Michael (they're all between 4-5 months younger than I am) but I was married at 23, had my first child at 25, and #2 is in the works. Very different life journeys! ETA: I really hope that doesn't come across as "Haha I got married and had kids and they didn't!" Because that would be awful. I'm extremely sympathetic to Michael's fertility struggles and I truly hope Jana isn't married by her choice and not because her parents need her at home. I certainly don't think I'm better or more worthy than them or anything! Just noting that we're all at very different places in our lives.

Because I was born just before the typical cut-off date to begin school though, I would have been in the same grade as Josh *blech* and Zach had they gone to a traditional school.

To be honest, yeah, I sometimes think about it. Josh is just a month older than me, and Anna's a couple months younger. It doesn't cross my mind that often, but I've definitely contemplated how vastly different our lives are even though we're the same age. Not in a 'Wow, poor them, I've done and achieved so much more in my life!' sense, because that happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves. Just in the same sense I might casually reflect on how different my life is to, I don't know, Princess Beatrice's, or a 29-year-old's from Yemen.

I haven't really compared but every time I heard that Josh and Anna were having another kid, my eyes would widen. They have five kids before they turn 30 and I have two fur babies. My comparison usually just runs along the lines of, how different we all are.

I would also have to point out that I think many a time, thank Jesus I'm not Anna. 

Erin Bates Paine is just 1 day younger than me. She has been married like 5 years with 2 kids and 1 on the way. I'm an unmarried heathen (in a long term relationship of 6 years) with 1 child. Not so different, but so very different at the same time.

22 minutes ago, eandre31 said:

Erin Bates Paine is just 1 day younger than me. She has been married like 5 years with 2 kids and 1 on the way. I'm an unmarried heathen (in a long term relationship of 6 years) with 1 child. Not so different, but so very different at the same time.

She’s actually been married four years. They married November 2, 2013.

(Sorry... I’m kind of a know-it-All sometimes. :pb_lol: )

9 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

She’s actually been married four years. They married November 2, 2013.

(Sorry... I’m kind of a know-it-All sometimes. :pb_lol: )

You are right! I saw it was their anniversary the other day and mistakenly thought it said 5 years.

2 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I am not close in age to any of the Duggars but I always have an OMG-I'm-so-old moment when people that are born in the 90:s do anything adult. If people that are born in the 90:s are old enough to marry, have kids, go to work, win olympic medals and/or write bestsellers, then what have I done with my life? :pb_confused:

I predict a major aging crises when the 2000-kids start adulting. 

I'm closest in age to Jana and JD as well but unlike them I choose to be single, living on my own, working, about to start Medical School and not planning to get married or have kids anytime soon (I had to leave a super strict catholic household in order to do what I wanted though) but for these fundies seems like they have no choice but they do have it. Is it hard to leave? Yes, my situation wasn't as extreme as these people but they can leave, sure being supported by mommy and daddy, not having to work or study your ass off is easier than growing up and choose freedom, I guess.

I know people like Michaella Bates are happy with the cult but I'm sure not all of them are, sadly they're just too lazy, too afraid and have no drive to make their choices. I'll give a pass to the unmarrieds but once they're out the house THEY'RE MAKING CHOICES.

It stunned me to learn how young Sierra is considering how many kids she has. Definitely in a different situation than most 20-somethings I know.

I am 7 months older than Jana (and JD). I've always had daydreams and fantasies about meeting them and becoming friends and leading them out of fundiedom. A huge castle in the air, I know. Like  Jana, I am unmarried and live with my mom. Unlike Jana, I have a son who is 5 months older than Michael Duggar.

My sister is 3 months older than Jinger, has no kids, lives with her bf, and has 2 kitty-babies. She also has pink hair and a Hello Kitty tattoo. 

Re: Family history. My mom is a professional genealogist so I love surfing thru Ancestry when I'm bored. Some interesting things I find in hints I'll save as maybe so my mom can verify it with her records. And I just want to say: Don't add info from other peoples trees into your own without verifying and fact checking first. 

Michelle is two months older than I am, and GryffindorDisappointment is 10 months younger than Jana/John-David, and 6 months older than Jill.

29 minutes ago, VixenToast said:

I am 7 months older than Jana (and JD). I've always had daydreams and fantasies about meeting them and becoming friends and leading them out of fundiedom. A huge castle in the air, I know. Like  Jana, I am unmarried and live with my mom. Unlike Jana, I have a son who is 5 months older than Michael Duggar.

My sister is 3 months older than Jinger, has no kids, lives with her bf, and has 2 kitty-babies. She also has pink hair and a Hello Kitty tattoo. 

Re: Family history. My mom is a professional genealogist so I love surfing thru Ancestry when I'm bored. Some interesting things I find in hints I'll save as maybe so my mom can verify it with her records. And I just want to say: Don't add info from other peoples trees into your own without verifying and fact checking first. 

And I’ll add another - if it isn’t your work then ask before you upload it anywhere (if the person who researched and made the tree is still alive.) My Grandma spent many long years tracing her and my Grandfather’s family trees. She traveled to other countries and spent time pouring over records in person. The result was a huge spreadsheet that stretched across their dining room. 

One of my Grandfather’s cousins has a Grandson who is around my age. He got ahold of a copy through his branch of the family and uploaded it to ancestry.com. No credit was given to Grandma and he never stopped to think if he should ask first. This was several years ago and it still pisses Grandma off. She had no intention of uploading something she felt was so personal and the no credit just added insult to injury. 

7 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I definitely do, not to judge but just because of how weird it can be to imagine myself where they are in life already. I'm between Jed/Jer and Jason's birthdays in the Duggar family, but I usually compare my life to Joy. I cannot imagine getting married and being pregnant in less than 2 years. I share a birth month with Josie Bates and I can imagine myself in her place a little easier. She's in school and dating, I'm taking a gap year, and single so we aren't very similar, but her life doesn't feel so far removed. (Minus the hateful beliefs and general fundieness of course)

I'm closest in age to Erin and Jill. Boyfriend, job, no kids, spent my college years kinda being a ho, then lived overseas until basically this year, and might be going back overseas again if I play my career cards right. Cannot imagine having kids now, but maybe in a few years. But definitely not now.

8 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I am not close in age to any of the Duggars but I always have an OMG-I'm-so-old moment when people that are born in the 90:s do anything adult. If people that are born in the 90:s are old enough to marry, have kids, go to work, win olympic medals and/or write bestsellers, then what have I done with my life? :pb_confused:

I predict a major aging crises when the 2000-kids start adulting. 

I'm sorry for your predicament. I'm a 94 baby, so right in between Jinger and Joseph... and I'm hitting the stages where I'm struggling SO HARD to accept that literally all 90s babies are 18 and up this year, and that all the teenagers now are 2000s babies. WTF?! It's even harder when those 2000s babies are starting bands and doing all the cool things I didn't do because I was insecure and going through a lot of shit.

I still remember crying on my 4th birthday because I didn't want toddlerhood to end :pb_lol: I really think aging needs to be celebrated because my word is it a depressing experience otherwise... and I'm still in the youngin' bracket. 

14 hours ago, Karma said:

I’m the same age as Michelle...and am very glad that I had only two kids.  I cannot imagine having to raise all the under 18s that she still has.  Oh wait, she’s got Jana to do that.

I'm a few years younger than you and Michelle, but I don't exactly relate to either of you. :pb_lol: I got married at almost 29 and had my kids at 38 and 40. So, I'm a lot older than most of the moms of my kids' classmates, and my friends who are my age have kids who are adults, or pretty close. (Or they didn't have kids.) 

Despite the fact that my kids are close in age to Josie Duggar, I also don't relate to Michelle. I can't imagine having 3 kids most days, let alone 19. The idea of being mother of the bride seems especially alien to my experience at this point! :my_biggrin:

My husband and I are closest in age to Kendra's parents. We have 1 year old twins, they have one kid already married. But my husband is 43 and some of his friends are already grandparents as well.

Im the same age as sierra Dominguez and boy do I think about that every time I see her on the show or on instagram.  i got married at 22 (almost 23) which many people in my circles considered very young. We were also each other's first boyfriend/girlfriend so a little duggars in that way, but 5 years in its still working great. No kids though, my husbands new business venture is our baby ( it has taken over our sleep, finances, etc.) Id  love to have 1 kid  now if we could afford it/ my health was a bit better, but the thought of 6 sounds bonkers to me. Physically and mentally I would probably crack. 

*edited for my many phone type-os!*

When I say that I thank God that I am not Anna Duggar, I am sure that she would look at me and thank God she is not me. That is the part that makes me scratch my head. Our worlds are just so very different.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived