IGNORED

Seewalds 27: Playing not Cleaning

Coconut Flan

7 minutes ago, JMO said:

How did I not realise that Benessa and Cherin have the same anniversary? 

Same. No idea how I missed that fun fact!

EDIT: Just kidding. They don't. Benessa's was yesterday and Cherin's is today. I didn't realize they were so close though but in two super sized families, overlapping birthdays and anniversaries are no surprise!

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

[SNIP]

Benessa's was yesterday and Cherin's is today. I didn't realize they were so close though but in two super sized families, overlapping birthdays and anniversaries are no surprise!

Ha, I was just thinking it was a funny coincidence as November isn't that popular a time to get married, and then I remembered they don't really have a concept of 'wedding season'. There's no choosing. Doesn't matter if you've always envisioned a summer wedding, you get married 10 weeks after you get engaged, whenever that might be.

I guess that's how ice cream in a parking lot in November happens.

3 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

Ha, I was just thinking it was a funny coincidence as November isn't that popular a time to get married, and then I remembered they don't really have a concept of 'wedding season'. There's no choosing. Doesn't matter if you've always envisioned a summer wedding, you get married 10 weeks after you get engaged, whenever that might be.

I guess that's how ice cream in a parking lot in November happens.

It depends on the people you know. My second anniversary is early this month. We celebrated the weddings of two separate couples we’re friends with the weekend after we got married - thankfully we attended both as one wedding was a Saturday and the other was a Sunday. And right around Thanksgiving time is the date my sister got married in 2014.

Fall is getting to be a really popular season to marry around here and November tends to be a much less expensive month than September or October. So it’s a great option for budget conscious couples.

3 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Same. No idea how I missed that fun fact!

EDIT: Just kidding. They don't. Benessa's was yesterday and Cherin's is today. I didn't realize they were so close though but in two super sized families, overlapping birthdays and anniversaries are no surprise!

Lol! I was going to point out their anniversaries are a day apart. Cherin married in 2013 and Benessa married a year later. Had Benessa wanted a Sunday wedding they would have shared an anniversary. 

As it is, Cherin do share their wedding date - with Bill Gothard’s birthday. And no amount of internet scrubbing will erase the fact that they had a special cake for him at the reception (I’m looking at you Kelly!) 

5 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Fall is getting to be a really popular season to marry around here and November tends to be a much less expensive month than September or October. So it’s a great option for budget conscious couples.

November has actually gotten so popular around here that there really aren't a lot of discounts offered. Mid-April through at least mid-November is considered wedding season (it keeps spreading every few years). In the Mid-Atlantic and the South you can still get a good 65 to 70 degree Saturday in November.

Ice cream in a parking lot is still inexcusable though. And yes, this is my hill to die on. :lol:

Just dropping in to say I now think of Jessa every damn night now, when I wipe my stove off after dinner.  :roll:

That is all. 

Re:eating fast, everyone I know from large families (all Catholic, not fundy), have similar stories of eating fast, and not being late to the table, or going to bed hungry. 

My former boss was in the middle of 13 kids. She had four older brothers who all grew up to six feet plus. One Sunday, they had pork chops for dinner. One of the kids was missing, because they were eating elsewhere. So there was one extra. As their mother was saying "who wants the ext.." four forks came flying down to the meat platter. One brother ended up with a fork stuck in the back of his hand. 

All of the people I know from large families all had 1or 2 kids, max.

Jessa's letter, though long and rambling and a bit odd for public consumption, was fairly well-written and sounded mature. She seems to have a facility for communication. But her parents' letter to them both sounded like it was written for a ten year-old to read.

:-)

8 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

But her parents' letter to them both sounded like it was written for a ten year-old to read.

That's because they use a template for both messages and videos on special occasions:

1) Start with Name or Nickname of person. 

2) Wish them a happy birthday/happy wedding/happy birthing/happy funeral

3) Remember how small they we're or how big they've gotten. If you can remember, list birth order (Unlikely for anyone but Josie.)

4)Talk about their servants heart and love for the Lord. Because they can't have any other defining characteristics or individual traits.

Optional extras:

5) Are they married? Congratulate them on not being a gay because God.

6) Do they have children? Congratulate on having god approved sex and being a role model to an infant that probably can't roll over yet. Optional bonus points for pro life statements about abortion or contraception.

7) Is it a wedding? Congratulate spouse on ownership transfer and talk about their servants heart too.  Because spouses also are not allowed to have unique characteristics besides this one.

Accompany with a proof of life video or photograph and you've got yourself a Duggar congratulations!

Yes. But also the syntax was so limited, whereas Jessa's was far more complex. It was an amusing thing to note.

14 hours ago, nausicaa said:

November has actually gotten so popular around here that there really aren't a lot of discounts offered. Mid-April through at least mid-November is considered wedding season (it keeps spreading every few years). In the Mid-Atlantic and the South you can still get a good 65 to 70 degree Saturday in November.

Ice cream in a parking lot is still inexcusable though. And yes, this is my hill to die on. :lol:

Lol! Ice cream in a parking lot is ok as long as you plan accordingly - meaning, don’t fucking do it if it’s freezing outside and you don’t have heaters available! :pb_lol:

We fully expected our wedding day to be pretty cold because it’s New England. Oddly enough, it was in the 60’s that day - which was great because our venue usually does ceremonies outside. I was able to wear my gown without a jacket or anything the entire ceremony and during the photos as well. My sister’s wedding day, however, was pretty cold. The Bridesmaids were all freezing outside the Church, but thankfully we were only outside to go to and from the ceremony. All photos with us and the families were taken inside. 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:00 AM, VineHeart137 said:

This isn't the first time one of them has mentioned having to eat fast when they lived at home. I think it was Jill who said she would hide in the bathroom to eat. Seems like such a sad way to grow up, not to mention it probably encourages an unhealthy relationship with food.

I'm fairly certain that prior to the TV shows, the Duggar household was very food insecure. TV money didn't really start rolling in until after Jenni was born, so they were feeding 19 people on a very VERY small income. I remember Michelle saying one time they were always grateful when someone from church would give them a large bag of clothing for the kids because they really couldn't afford clothes.  I can't imagine, not having enough food for your kids or money for clothes, or even a home big enough for your child and to then continue having more kids, just how selfish a person are you, that you would think "I can't feed house or clothe my 14 children, why not have MORE kids" I'm betting JB never went to bed hungry, and DQ being endlessly pregnant probably wasn't missing meals either, so that left the kids to go hungry.  That is just cruel, The more I think about this family the more I hate them the parents are horrible awful people who have birthed 19 children who will not be able to function in society. I was going to say raised, but they stopped doing that shortly after Joy Anna was born.

I have heard my dad and his brother and sisters talk about having to eat fast, and there were only five of them. I can't imagine what it would be like with 18 brothers and sisters. And the Duggars seemed to serve up carb-heavy, nutrient-poor meals which probably weren't all that filling or energizing.

17 hours ago, llg1234 said:

More cuteness from Henry

Best video ever (full disclosure, Ben and Jessa are my pet fundies).....I just love their kids. And for everyone who used to snark that Spurgeon got all the personality and Henry was a serious baby and not quite as "cute" as his brother (OK...no one was outright mean, but I did see on other boards people comparing the two and seemingly putting little Henry down, calling him Winston Churchill, etc)...Henry has turned into a little dynamo full of personality. I love that kid!  And you can tell by the banter of Jessa and Ben int he background, they really enjoy their children...but we already knew that! 

re: that video of Henry... I love how he finally gets the food in his mouth and then is immediately like, "THIS IS WAY MORE WORK THAN I ANTICIPATED" omg

He's still a srs baby to me, but I find that precious

20 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

It depends on the people you know. My second anniversary is early this month. We celebrated the weddings of two separate couples we’re friends with the weekend after we got married - thankfully we attended both as one wedding was a Saturday and the other was a Sunday. And right around Thanksgiving time is the date my sister got married in 2014.

Ah, this is interesting. Actually, now I think about it, in the last few years I've been to two beautiful November weddings and one on new year's day. But holy crap, July-September each year is hectic with weddings for me. Here in the UK it's a toss-up as to whether you'll get sunshine even then, so I suppose it makes sense to seek the best possible odds for good weather if that's important to you, but I agree It does totally depend on what sort of people you know. And probably age and life stage. The folks my age who got married 3-5 years ago were mostly quite traditional about it; as we hit our late 20s and 30s I see more leftfield choices, by people less preoccupied with the whole white gown/coordinated bridesmaids and chair covers thing. 

Oh, just remembered my cousin got married in late October. The bride and bridesmaid's outfits were not suited to the weather at all, and they posed for photos with the poor little flower girl howling with cold.

On 11/2/2017 at 7:32 PM, llg1234 said:

More cuteness from Henry

At 1st I thought that was a piece of popcorn, but its a baby puff.  He is so damn cute, and really good with those pudgy little fingers. Jessa needs a humper to send her her a new booster/highchair whatever it is called, the tear on the side makes me nervous. 

I've been researching some of my family's genealogy, and it's surprising how many children were incorporated into it through adoptions, probable affairs (husband was away at war/sea for a long period of time and a child or two were born), kinship acquisitions etc. It's also something else how many lies and partial truths I've uncovered.

One of my great great grandmothers was married and had three kids before she (apparently) left her husband and two young daughters behind to go to Canada with my great great grandfather. They claimed to be married when they arrived at Montreal (no records exist of their marriage), and listed her eldest child - a son - as belonging to my gg-grandfather. Her husband remarried (no death or divorce records for my gg-grandmother have been found in her country of origin, so not sure how this was accomplished) after she left, and her daughters appeared to continue living with their father and his new wife and their children. I wonder how that situation came to happen and what was said to everyone involved to explain or cover the stories. I can't imagine that gg-grandfather was able to maintain direct contact with the children she left behind, but she did keep in communication with her sister, and she and my gg-grandfather helped others from their home country emigrate to Canada and settle in their new district, so it's unlikely that they would have been able to convince many people that she had died.

I've also just discovered that the people my father told me were his mother and stepfather were actually no relation at all. My father had whole family - parents and three siblings that he never mentioned (he shaved 12 years off the date of his birth when he entered Canada), yet I remember getting letters from my fictive 'grandmother' instructing me to be sure to tell my father that his cousin __same same as sibling__ had married/had a child/moved to new town... So probably no direct contact after he emigrated. It was just weird. I also found out that he was married twice before my mother and had at least four kids that he neglected to mention. Add those into the two other families I believe he had after he left my mother and I'm probably one of ten children with rafts of first cousins and a huge extended family. It appears I even have an aunt and uncles still living. I'm in shock, so used to being without any close relatives except my mother, and I'm utterly terrified to go any further or contact any of my father's probable relatives because he and his fictive parents were so awful to me. I'm also very much afraid that he abandoned his first family completely and I dont want to hurt them more by sticking my oar into the dynamics of that. I almost wish I'd never looked.

@ViolaSebastian I watched the Richard III documentary tonight that you linked. Fascinating stuff!!

How would one join the FJ genealogy club? My ancestry is Germans from Russia, Welsh, and Swedish, however the Welsh line completely dies outside the US - trying to look for a "Robert Jones" with little other info is HARD you guys! The multiple German lines from both sides of the family have some crazy typos and misspellings as well, but still much easier to work with than the super common names. 

Sad thing is that Michelle and JB won't have near as personalized a message as Jessa gave to Michelle. 

So Jessa admits to being strong willed and hard headed. Ha ha, did she grow out of it? Interesting how they were not able to convert or modify her personality. But so far she appears to be living a life that both parents approve of. Still fundie for now with no end in sight.

Michelle sounds like such a boring Mom (besides the whole neglectful thing). “Memorizing scripture with us and reading the Bible to us”. Jeez did she do anything fun that was not biblically related with them? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived