IGNORED

Jinger 32: Light into the Darkness According to Jeremy

Coconut Flan

16 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I know 2 people with BFA degrees. One is a massage therapist and the other was a bartender and is now who the hell knows. I also know a couple of photographers who have never taken a class and are pretty damn good...and make a living at it. 

I have a shitty AAS degree...I was too fucking dumb to pass Calculus so I never did get the BSME I wanted. Thing is, I have a pretty good job again...I've freelanced, taught and now I'm the "head" of the engineering department at the company I currently work for...

So...that 4 year degree may or may not be useful, no matter what you major in. 

I don't think not being able to pass Calculus makes you dumb - I truly believe that math is a skill/attribute you are born with, you're either good at it or you're not.

I consider myself a fairly smart person, but I am terrible in math and am actually mathphobic (thanks to my grade two teacher).

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jqlgoblue said:

There is no doubt Jill put in a lot of work, even if it didn't materialize into 'real' qualifications. That is the fault of the cult, as she was steered towards certifications that weren't real and people that were shady. She honestly doesn't know better. Also, I do remember her trying Spanish out with the Latina friend. Again, it was wisdom booklet level stuff, but it certainly wasn't something Michelle was likely to have wanted the kids to do so there was some initiative/interest there even if she and the other kids don't have the educational baseline to really learn it (which is super sad btw b/c while I don't believe any of these kids are naturally gifted they were super stunted by ATI school).

It's really interesting to me that while they were courting both Jill and Derick looked like go-getters, relatively speaking, and here they are today grifting and looking totally silly. I do think whatever is going on with Derick health wise could be a real contributing factor here (not to get them off the hook entirely).

You and another user mentioned Jill’s spanish classes. Jill took lessons from Analucia Jackson, mother of Marjorie Jackson (Josiah’s ex-girlfriend.) I believe Marjorie appears briefly in one scene where Analucia is teaching Jill and some of her brothers - this was a while before she and Josiah began courting. 

I believe that Analucia immigrated here - I think from Guatemala. She definitely speaks Spanish fluently. So as far as teachers go Jill could have chosen far worse. 

And I don’t watch the show, but do we know for sure what type of proficiency Jill actually has? Did they show her speaking Spanish or taking lessons down there or anything?

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

I don't think not being able to pass Calculus makes you dumb - I truly believe that math is a skill/attribute you are born with, you're either good at it or you're not.

I consider myself a fairly smart person, but I am terrible in math and am actually mathphobic (thanks to my grade two teacher).

I got A's and B's all the way thru pre-Calc. Calc 1....oh hell no. 

7 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I got A's and B's all the way thru pre-Calc. Calc 1....oh hell no. 

I got A's and B's all through school until it came to math and I got D's and E's.  My teachers all said I really should have been held back a grade, but because I was so good in other areas, they couldn't do it.

Mad props to you, even if you couldn't do Calculus 1!

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

You and another user mentioned Jill’s spanish classes. Jill took lessons from Analucia Jackson, mother of Marjorie Jackson (Josiah’s ex-girlfriend.) I believe Marjorie appears briefly in one scene where Analucia is teaching Jill and some of her brothers - this was a while before she and Josiah began courting. 

I believe that Analucia immigrated here - I think from Guatemala. She definitely speaks Spanish fluently. So as far as teachers go Jill could have chosen far worse. 

And I don’t watch the show, but do we know for sure what type of proficiency Jill actually has? Did they show her speaking Spanish or taking lessons down there or anything?

They did show or (there was a photo of Jill) taking a private Spanish level with an instructor in her home in CA. IIRC, Jill stated that it was easier for her to get private in home lessons, than it was to go to classes. Jill was holding IDD on her lap during this particular lesson that was being conducted at the kitchen table.  There was also documentation shown, again on film or in photos, of Derick passing at least one level of Spanish class, but there was no such documentation shown for Jill. DD was shown with his diploma. 

40 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I got A's and B's all through school until it came to math and I got D's and E's.  My teachers all said I really should have been held back a grade, but because I was so good in other areas, they couldn't do it.

Mad props to you, even if you couldn't do Calculus 1!

I half-assed high school. I hated the school, it was probably the worst 5 years of my life. Imagine, blue-collar redneck kid with a very ethnic last name stuck in an uppity private Catholic high school. I mean, brand new beemers and sports cars in the parking lot when someone turned 16 and I drove a 1972 Nova (which was totally bad-ass but...) I spent my junior and senior years sleeping in the back of the classroom, trying to deal with my fucking parents who chose to rip my dreams out from under me...I wasn't allowed to pursue music, I wasn't allowed to go away to college, the only school they'd let me go to did not offer an engineering major. A school 45 minutes away did, but I wasn't allowed to drive across the tunnel. So...I went to the school they told me I had to go to, got knocked up at 17 and basically let them fuck me 28 ways from last week.

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

O level GCE. Friend and I were in the top math set, and we both failed, she with a grade 9. That was the lowest you could get. I blame the teacher. We tried again at Christmas, and both passed. 60 years on, and we still laugh about it when we see each other.

Looks like Jinger and Jeremy are in CA, again. The guy he's talking with, Phil Johnson, is apparently associated with John F. MacArthur/Grace to You/Master's Seminary. I tried to figure out what his brand of fundie Christianity he is, but my eyes started to glaze over after awhile. 

Spoiler

He seems to be a Charles Spurgeon/pre-determination type, though. No wonder Ben and Jeremy get along so well.

Jeremy and Jinger appear to be constantly traveling to weddings, see family, etc.  They also go out a lot in Laredo.  My question is how are they able to attend to the "needs" of their congregation?  Besides Sunday sermons, Jeremy doesn't appear to be spending much time at his church or outreaching.  And what does Jinger do at the church?  Being a pastor's wife is a big job and typically they are more involved in organizing bible studies, women's groups and church events.  Jinger doesn't appear to be doing any of that.  

10 minutes ago, Informedresistance said:

Jeremy and Jinger appear to be constantly traveling to weddings, see family, etc.  They also go out a lot in Laredo.  My question is how are they able to attend to the "needs" of their congregation?  Besides Sunday sermons, Jeremy doesn't appear to be spending much time at his church or outreaching.  And what does Jinger do at the church?  Being a pastor's wife is a big job and typically they are more involved in organizing bible studies, women's groups and church events.  Jinger doesn't appear to be doing any of that.  

They live the exact lifestyle of the Duggar family where they seem to travel to every event for which they receive an invitation. I am sure they are able to travel so much because of the money they make on the show. No way is Jeremy paid enough for that lifestyle as a minister at is little church and he wasn’t a soccer star so he doesn’t have savings from playing.

This is why I don’t think Jeremy will ever pull Jinger away from her family, TLC or their belief system as they have given him opportunities he would not have had were Jinger not a Duggar. Ministers of small churches don’t get to travel so often on a whim and where money doesn’t seem to be an issue. Jeremy doesn’t seem any different than Derick as he doesn’t seem to want to stay in one place and work. Jeremy just presents better than Derick and allows his wife better clothing options so he is always given more points as a better husband. Would Jeremy really be traveling to any of these places or would anyone in their religious circle even know who Jeremy was if he had not married Jinger?

19 minutes ago, Informedresistance said:

Isn't it a very, very small congregation?

Our minister's wife occasionalyl counts the weekly offering, it's a rotating job, but other than that, she is not actively involved in the operations of the fellowship.

Our pastor's wife has "retired" from the church. When they planted the church 40 years ago, she was the pianist, the children's Sunday School teacher, and just about anything else needed. Once the church grew past a certain point, she stopped. Most pastors' wives I know of are not really actively involved in running the church. 

1 hour ago, Informedresistance said:

You're seeing probably <8% of their time, documented on social media/in the "news"/on Counting On. 

Think about it. I have a Facebook page, an Instagram account, a Twitter account, and a blog. If you ONLY went by what I post, you'd think I ate out ALL THE TIME (facebook) and went to Europe ALL THE TIME (instagram) and only bitched about poor service ALL THE TIME (twitter) and spent hours and hours crafting travel blog posts with carefully edited photos (blog), because that's what I post on various platforms. The reality is, I work 9-10 hours a day, spend about an hour in my car commuting, go to the grocery store, do laundry, clean my bathrooms, mow the yard, etc. But you don't SEE that because I don't put it "out there" for others to see.

32 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

You're seeing probably <8% of their time, documented on social media/in the "news"/on Counting On. 

Think about it. I have a Facebook page, an Instagram account, a Twitter account, and a blog. If you ONLY went by what I post, you'd think I ate out ALL THE TIME (facebook) and went to Europe ALL THE TIME (instagram) and only bitched about poor service ALL THE TIME (twitter) and spent hours and hours crafting travel blog posts with carefully edited photos (blog), because that's what I post on various platforms. The reality is, I work 9-10 hours a day, spend about an hour in my car commuting, go to the grocery store, do laundry, clean my bathrooms, mow the yard, etc. But you don't SEE that because I don't put it "out there" for others to see.

Do any of them have jobs outside the show or a commute? I would love for all of this to be true, but damn, did you see the video of Jessa and Ben arriving at the TTH last Christmas morning, only to find the entire house dark and everyone asleep, albeit it many on couches? 

What kind of Christian home with at least 6 minor kids isn't up and busy, busy, busy on Christmas morning? Not these folks- Duggar time even on one the biggest days of the year to honor their Savior.

Schrodinger's Uterus is about to strike again, but too bad.........Jinger looks pregnant in that photo. I'm throwing it out there now.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Math, I'm quite sure the only reason I passed math in high school was because all my math teachers were my coaches in various sports, and I'd get benched if I didn't pass. I did really well in every other subject but math. I remember one of my science teachers told me it was like he got a completely different student when we went from environmental science to physics. I just can't get it. My now husband did my math homework for me in college. Thank God my kids have him for future math questions because I would offer nothing but "Google it."

On 11/11/2017 at 9:40 PM, VelociRapture said:

I’m not sure whether it was illegal for Jill to assist with a birth in Oklahoma though because requirements vary between states and it’s possible the NARM certification would allow her to assist in states other than Arkansas. It definitely wasn’t a good decision in my opinion.

IIRC Oklahoma doesn't regulate or license CPMs, so Jill can practice there (as can Venessa).

On 11/11/2017 at 11:38 PM, marmalade said:

So NARM allowed Jill to sit for their exam despite her hours being revoked? Something is fishy there. 

The hours were revoked by Arkansas not NARM, so they might still have been eligible. I'm not sure if she used the same hours for her NARM portfolio but I know that NARM never revoked Venessa's certification or preceptorship . 

Interesting. I had no clue that there were such discrepancies between the two. One would think that NARM would have more stringent criteria for their "licensure." 

Adding onto the math discussion, don't feel bad for not understanding calculus!  Calculus kicked my butt pretty hard when I first got to it and it took me far longer than it should have to get the hang of it.  I think a lot of understanding it (as well as any subject) has to do with a teacher who is patient and knowledgeable and caring enough to actually make sure you learn.  

5 hours ago, Bethella said:

IIRC Oklahoma doesn't regulate or license CPMs, so Jill can practice there (as can Venessa).

The hours were revoked by Arkansas not NARM, so they might still have been eligible. I'm not sure if she used the same hours for her NARM portfolio but I know that NARM never revoked Venessa's certification or preceptorship . 

"Eh, what's a couple of dead and disabled babies who are that way because of your dumb ass? You can totally keep your license and continue being a danger to mothers and babies all over the south central US!"

7 hours ago, potato said:

Adding onto the math discussion, don't feel bad for not understanding calculus!  Calculus kicked my butt pretty hard when I first got to it and it took me far longer than it should have to get the hang of it.  I think a lot of understanding it (as well as any subject) has to do with a teacher who is patient and knowledgeable and caring enough to actually make sure you learn.  

I did horribly in math my entire life. The only class I ever got an A in was the final math class I took for my Bachelor’s degree. It was a class for Liberal Arts majors and the Professor was of the opinion that having us memorize various equations wasn’t fair because most of us wouldn’t need to use them much, if at all (she didn’t think it was fair to have other majors - like Math or Engineering - memorize either.) So we were allowed to use one single sided page of notes on exams and quizzes. You could put anything down that you wanted, it just had to fit on one page. 

I took Statistics at a community college a few years later. It was online with an in-person final - the professor let you make an exam notebook (like a cheat sheet) to be used on the final. I didn’t do too well in that course for some reason, but I earned a B on the final and ended with a C average. I was kind of disappointed because I needed a C+ for the program I had been interested in* and I was literally one point away from a C+, but I was proud too. It was a tough course in a subject I’m not naturally talented at and I managed to pass. 

*The program was a well respected accelerated nursing program at a state university. I decided not to pursue that program soon after taking Statistics, partly because we wanted kids sooner than later (that program would have been extremely tough to pursue with a baby) and partly because I’d have to retake the Stats class. Plus, Nursing can be a tough field for many parents and I wasn’t completely sure how I’d handle the stresses of the job with the stresses of everyday life. 

11 hours ago, SassyPants said:

What kind of Christian home with at least 6 minor kids isn't up and busy, busy, busy on Christmas morning?

To be fair, we don't know exactly what time that was. It was still kind of dark out. I'm in the same time zone- I'd guess it was in fact early. And remember, there's no Santa to get up early and excited for.

40 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

To be fair, we don't know exactly what time that was. It was still kind of dark out. I'm in the same time zone- I'd guess it was in fact early. And remember, there's no Santa to get up early and excited for.

What about celebrating the birth of their Savior?

Their entire lives are about Jesus- why weren't the parents even up?

56 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

IIRC, she said in the video that they were told to be there at 7am; they got there at 7 and nobody was up.

1 hour ago, snickers34 said:

And remember, there's no Santa to get up early and excited for.

This. That's the only reason my brother and I got up early as kids (and subsequently woke our parents up). Now that we're grown, it's a miracle we're all downstairs by noon.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived