IGNORED

Maxwell 13: And Another One Bites the Dust - John is Engaged

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

3. On Melanie's schedule....  Over 300 words to say I love my phone way more than I love homeschooling? Or 300 words to say I married a dick and must obey his every whim even when trying to educated the kids. Honestly.....

The Maxwell blog makes motherhood-- and especially homeschooling-- sound so incredibly painful and boring. Notice how we NEVER see any of the kids doing any projects or experiments or anything that might remotely appeal to a normal parent who might be thinking of homeschooling. I have a friend on FB who homeschools her 6-year-old twins and those kids are always doing something interesting, whether it's a nature walk, or an art project, or going to the beach on the same day when the school year begins for most of the kids in this area. Another example of fun homeschooling is the Bateseseses cousins' blog where their kids are into musical theatre, plus they live on a farm with lots of cute animals. If I were a mom, that's the kind of thing I would want for my kids, not sitting around a table doing endless workbooks. If my kids were going to do that, they might as well go to school.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

The Maxwell blog makes motherhood-- and especially homeschooling-- sound so incredibly painful and boring. Notice how we NEVER see any of the kids doing any projects or experiments or anything that might remotely appeal to a normal parent who might be thinking of homeschooling. I have a friend on FB who homeschools her 6-year-old twins and those kids are always doing something interesting, whether it's a nature walk, or an art project, or going to the beach on the same day when the school year begins for most of the kids in this area. Another example of fun homeschooling is the Bateseseses cousins' blog where their kids are into musical theatre, plus they live on a farm with lots of cute animals. If I were a mom, that's the kind of thing I would want for my kids, not sitting around a table doing endless workbooks. If my kids were going to do that, they might as well go to school.

That's how it's supposed to be. Homeschooling is being able to do things you can't do in a traditional classroom while learning and having fun. 

I posted a reply that said how my sister and I love to spend time together and our favorite thing is to try new wineries wherever we go and how it's so much fun since we don't live together and when we see each other there are two separate lives to catch up up with. 

Shocker. It's in the abyss.

Poor Maxwells. Can't allow people living lives unlike theirs to 'exist' in their world. b

Of course, I knew it wouldn't be posted. But, it had to have been read to be rejected.

Can't unread that there is a world outside their cult.

9 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

The poor writing/spelling/grammar is just downright painful.

Sorry, thread drift here... we recently launched our new website so lots of resource documents went to the big internet trash can in cyberspace (because they were old) and only the most needed & most up to date documents stayed. One of the students asked for a document today and I told him I needed to update it first & repost it. Well, let me just say the person who had my position before me was not the best speller. I find mistakes in documents all the time. So I open the document to update it and in every instance the words receipt and receive were misspelled. Hello, those red squiggly lines mean “Danger Will Robinson the word is spelled wrong!” Then, the last sentence was telling the students about reimbursement. It said “you’ll receive your reimbursement withing three weeks.” OMG.... proofreading is so important. 

I sent my old boss a text telling him about all the errors. Why he didn’t proofread her stuff is beyond me. He knew she was notorious for spelling errors. He spent part of his early career working as an editor for a magazine. He just laughed at my text and said “I’m not surprised.” Now I realize why he told my current boss “This is the BEST (insert my title) I think we’ve ever had!” 

Now, I’m going to the prayer closet for making myself an idol and not supporting my sisters in Christ. 

interesting choices.  they're requesting 12 dinner plates and 20 cereal bowls; i wonder if they'll add other pieces later.  my (ebil catholic) mom has the same Corelle pattern.  

32 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

In related news, Chelsy and John's Amazon registry is up: https://www.amazon.com/wedding/chelsy-bontrager-john-maxwell-washington-december-2017/registry/1K6R16376WWNO

So far it's pretty barebones, but at least the stuff they're asking for is sensible.

19 minutes ago, catlady said:

interesting choices.  they're requesting 12 dinner plates and 20 cereal bowls; i wonder if they'll add other pieces later.  my (ebil catholic) mom has the same Corelle pattern.  

Better than chain restaurant gift cards, guns, and Pringles.

Yikes, that is one boring registry. Also if anyone here is connected to either family and can get a message to the happy couple, tell them that the Ninja blender sucks and to pick a different one!

On 10/15/2017 at 1:49 AM, snowfootwaltz said:

And that, my friends, is why I will no longer catch up on FJ in the middle of the night while feeding my baby.

Random thoughts...

Once I had a dream that I took the Anderson kids to Disneyworld.  They were very happy.

Chelsy's nails look atrocious in her engagement pic.  She should have gotten fake nails put on.  Now she is stuck with that terrible picture the rest of her life. 

Sarah finally learned how to spell sisters-in-law! 

Sarah's latest blog post is depressing.  She is not living life to the fullest.  Playing games with your sisters is fun.  I sometimes play Scrabble when my sister comes over.  But that's all Sarah has.  It's so sad.  Her parents did a terrible job raising their children.  Adult children shouldn't be slumming it at home.  I have no problem with adult children at home, but they need to work.  The Maxwells post how busy they are, but they're lazy in my book.  It would be unacceptable in my house if my kids lived the way they do. 

I was looking around the internet one day and found that Mary took an online art class.  I was surprised they let her do that.

I was looking at Melanie's sister's instagram.  One of the siblings had gotten married and the sister said that one of her sisters and her kids didn't attend the wedding.  It was probably Melanie. 

Elizabeth Munck is going to give birth soon.  I am so happy she got out of that mess of a family before it was too late. 

7 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

If I were a mom, that's the kind of thing I would want for my kids, not sitting around a table doing endless workbooks. If my kids were going to do that, they might as well go to school.

When I was in school, we went on lots of exciting trips, like to a 1800s style schoolhouse, apple farm, maple syurp farm, and a bunch of other places. In 6th grade we even went to the chocolate factory, and also to the Barnes exhibit where we saw lots of paintings of not-clothed people! By highschool (when the goverment was more conservative, so I guess they had less funding?) we only really went to the movie theatre to watch something connected to what we were studying in drama class.

At home, I went on more educational trips than the non-hellschooled Maxwells: Science centre, planetarium, museum, and yes, even the zoo.

I wonder if Chelsy will be allowed to keep her blog after they're married... I highly doubt it though.

And I definitely think her Amazon wedding registry is still in the process of having items being added to... it's way too small as it is right now. On the other hand, I assume Chelsy must have a hope chest overflowing with house and kitchen-related items, and John must have already bought stuff debt-free for their debt-free abode... will just have to wait and see.

I feel so sad for Chelsy: in her engagement picture she looks happy. She doesn't dress in frumpers and has nice makeup and hairdos... I hope that transfering to the Maxwell compund won't crush all of this. 

Don't be silly. Chelsy will be too busy painting her walls beige to blog.

Well, strictly speaking, the last remaining true Frumper Humper is Anna Marie, and I think she wears them because she genuinely prefers them to other garments. Melanie and Elissa both wear variations of the stylish scarf/layered shirts/skirts of varying lengths look, and both seem to get actual hair cuts. In the past year or so, Elissa occasionally appears to be wearing some (extremely minimal) makeup, whereas she's bare-faced in the earlier courting and wedding photos. All of the women in the Maxwell immediate family have matured in their wardrobe choices over the past 5 years. I can't think of the last time Teri, Anna, Sarah, or Mary appeared in a frumper. Sure, they still wear the Chastity Undershirts and buy everything a few sizes too big (leave room for Jesus, I guess?), but the rudiments of attempted personal style are there. I do live in rural southern nowheresville, so my standards may be lower than the average bear's, though. 

I think that Chelsy's current style will continue. It will take a stronger power than Steve Maxwell to wrest that black eyeliner from her at any rate.  I also don't see the Maxwells having a problem with her social media presence or shutting Chelsy down, so long as she sticks to her current winning formula of 5-part posts on laundry, and how to be best friends with your siblings. The alternative would be Chelsy contributing to the main family blog, and I'm sure that only a "real" family member is allowed to regularly post there. Chelsy herself has explicitly stated that she plans to continue personal blogging, so I think that's exactly what she'll do. 

4 hours ago, terranova said:

Don't be silly. Chelsy will be too busy painting her walls beige to blog.

I know this is a joke but we were pleasantly surprised to see a bold color of blue on NRAnna's bedroom walls after she gave birth the last time. So I'm guessing they are allowed to paint color on the walls of their own homes. I don't think Chelsy will do fire engine red but I can see her doing some pretty pale greens or blues or maybe some pops of yellow. I hope there's no pink bedroom like Erin Bates. 

8 hours ago, theologygeek said:

I was looking at Melanie's sister's instagram.  One of the siblings had gotten married and the sister said that one of her sisters and her kids didn't attend the wedding.  It was probably Melanie. 

Iinteresting.  I still think Coward Steve insusted Smug Joe's wedding be scheduled the same day as Melanie's cousin's wedding so she couldn't attend it.

10 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Chelsy's nails look atrocious in her engagement pic.  She should have gotten fake nails put on.  Now she is stuck with that terrible picture the rest of her life.

I liked and agreed with everything in your post except the above. My nails have always looked exactly like that, including in our wedding picture with the closeup of the rings. Reason: I'm a professional violinist (actually played a concert the night before my wedding) and I've never had long nails in my life. I would feel like an idiot in fake nails, which honestly I think look terrible on everyone.

It's possible Chelsy has reasons of her own to keep her nails short. If it's how she looks in daily life, I don't see the problem with an engagement picture reflecting that. And I don't think it looks bad.

Thanks @VVV. As a chef my hands always look pretty much like Chelsy's. Lots of people who work with their hands have to keep their nails short.  For me, the constant hand washing coupled with small cuts, burns, etc means my hands would probably be judged as "atrocious." :pb_rollseyes: Oh well- all I can see when I look at long fake nails is how much grime must be hiding under there!

I keep short nails for cleanliness as well. But I am lucky because I have long nail beds. So when I paint them, they look nice and formal. 

9 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Horrible picture? Her nails look like normal nails. God forbid! :my_huh:

I look at it this way... Some people who are used to fake long nails think that is the normal look and are put off by real nails that are short. and people like me who are used to natural short nails are put off by fake nails. So we are basically looking at one another's nails in disapproval, ha. So different strokes for different folks I guess. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived