IGNORED

Maxwell 13: And Another One Bites the Dust - John is Engaged

Coconut Flan

I had no idea the Maxwells were friends with the Bucking-hales. I went down that rabbit hole maybe 6 months ago and DAMN. That was one of the craziest FJ rabbit holes in existence. I think I came out of that hole 10 years older.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, lilith said:

The Hales are one hell of a rabbit hole. Google Papa Pilgrim. There's even a (very good) book about the whole fiasco titled Pilgrims Wilderness. There are old FJ threads about a BuckHale road trip blog (shut down when FJ attention was noted) that are interesting too. 

And after that, this book: https://www.amazon.com/Heard-Brother-Call-Name-psychological/dp/1491275162

A memoir written by the wife of Papa Pilgrim’s brother, with an inside perspective on that madness.

I've always thought John looks much more like Steve than Teri. I hate to admit it but Steve is more conventionally good looking than Teri. However Hot John looks way more attractive when he has a beard or scruff because he looks less like his father. 

I knew Chelsy would dig into the hard work of renovating that house. She would never let John do all the planning and work without her input. I'm sure she's the one doing all the decorating of that house. She's such a planner and she seems to know what she likes. That's probably one of the things John finds attractive. I can't blame him for not wanting some submissive meek doormat of a wife. My husband is the same way. One of the first things he said he liked about me was how sure I always was of what I liked and what I wanted to do. My husband would HATE he patriarchy life of fundies. He's way to laid back. 

If Chelsy  is anything like Allison, she'll won't be a breath of fresh air in Maxhell, she'll be a damn tornado!  I suspect they will be a financial powerhouse of a couple as time goes on, because Chelsy will understand business dynamics much better than her husband and she'll be a whirlwind of activity, and not blogging about the wonders of chopping up lettuce with a damn pizza cutter or whatever it is they do.  She'll be thinking of successful business ideas and getting after it.  Do the Bontragers attend a local church when they are home? 

Really, really hoping they move far away from slow death by Stevehovah and Teri and towards the openness and energy of the Bontragers. 

43 minutes ago, Howl said:

Do the Bontragers attend a local church when they are home? 

Really, really hoping they move far away from slow death by Stevehovah and Teri and towards the openness and energy of the Bontragers. 

I believe they do. And isn't that the church where Mitchell and Brynn got married, and where this lovely couple will get married? Yeah, I can't see Chelsey wanting to go to the Nursing Home/Assisted Living church on a regular basis; maybe once in a while, but want to try the other churches in Leavenworth as well. We'll see, but it's hard to say if we'll know about it or not. Depends if she DOES keep blogging after the wedding.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

So how many days are we into the engagement-that-must-not-be-named now?

Engagement is now-named--in a Max-blog post amusingly defensive and  grammatically pockmarked. 

They (likely Steve) nearly admit that the burn of the broken Munck engagement means no news until the marriage is inked and beyond the annulment stage....

"Some [namely those harlots over on Free Jinger] have wondered why we hadn’t posted anything earlier. Well, we had planned not to post about them until they were married like we did for Joseph and Elissa. We had chosen the path of not posting about a relationship until after the wedding for the privacy of our children [fearing that yet another train wreck of a broken engagement would further besmirch our family's oh-so-carefully edited, sanitized, courtship-is-the-only-way public image]. However, the Bontragers’ [that uncontrollably happy, f*n, life-enjoying lot] posted about the engagement [WITHOUT consulting with me first, damn them! Who do they think they are?!], so it is now public, and we re-evaluated."

Fixed that for ya, Steve.

Objectively Steve's a pretty average looking guy for his age, certainly not hideous out anything.  If he was a normal person no one would bat an eye at his looks.

Some have wondered why we hadn’t posted anything earlier. Well, we had planned not to post about them until they were married like we did for Joseph and Elissa. We had chosen the path of not posting about a relationship until after the wedding for the privacy of our children. However, the Bontragers’ posted about the engagement, so it is now public, and we re-evaluated.

Oh ffs, why say it like that?! It just sounds like a snide dig at Chelsy's family. Why not just say, "We had planned not to post about them until they were married out of respect for their privacy; however, John and Chelsy let us know that they were more than happy for us to share their exciting news, and we are thrilled to congratulate them now!"

I hope Chelsy really, really, really loves John, because I can't imagine anything being worth marrying into this obnoxious, controlling, passive aggressive, tragic cult of a family!

Steve, please forward this brief grammar tutorial to Sarah:

Bontragers'   this is plural possessive, indicating that multiple members of the Bontrager family have/own a particular thing/concept.

Bontrager's    this is singular possessive and would seldom be used without an honorific or first name, especially in an informal setting.

Bontragers   this is plural, indicating a reference to multiple members of the Bontrager family and not their possessions (and no, people are not possessions, no matter how patriarchal you are).  

while example #1 was used in the long-awaited engagement post, #3 is correct in that sentence.  

i'm glad to see that Sarah took these pictures (per the watermark) instead of Christopher.  the second one with the umbrella is nice. 

Oh, this is too funny!  Steve finally figured out that they are looking foolish for not announcing.  The engagement cat is out of the bag and he can't grab it by the tail and put it back!

Some have wondered why we hadn’t posted anything earlier. Well, we had planned not to post about them until they were married like we did for Joseph and Elissa. We had chosen the path of not posting about a relationship until after the wedding for the privacy of our children. However, the Bontragers’ posted about the engagement, so it is now public, and we re-evaluated.

Some have indeed wondered, you Maxwell twits.  The bolded sounds so pissy.  Steve lost control of the narrative and had to re-evaluate.  Those silly Bontragers for making it public!  Steve is now rewriting his list of questions for the parents of future spouses. 

Question 2,044:  Do you agree not to announce any engagement until after the wedding?

Re-evaluated. That's probably the happiest word I've heard from the Maxwells since all the significant changes we've seen; the big broken engagement one week before the wedding, Mary's coming of age and graduation, Sarah getting a dog and actually getting to "gasp!" travel alone, etc. And that's all I really wanted to see from this family. That they re-evaluated the over-sheltering of ADULT children, and other extreme beliefs. Steve is stumbling over what he needs to do. Poor Steve. Baby steps, though. You can do it, Steve.

English isn't my first language, so I might sense this wrong, but "re-evaluated" sounds very formal to me. Even by Maxwell standards. 

Ha! I was right! Steve had no intention of saying anything until it was a done deal. And of course, only no-touch engagement pictures on the Maxwell blog.

Cute pictures, but I noticed John doesn't have his arm around her or is as close like he is when with the Bontragers. Seems like he's towing the line that Steve probably got on to him that he crossed with the no-touch thing. He just seems less at ease in these photos or is it just me? I'm glad to see Chelsy is hanging on him and being herself. 

Just now, Coconutwater said:

Cute pictures, but I noticed John doesn't have his arm around her or is as close like he is when with the Bontragers. Seems like he's towing the line that Steve probably got on to him that he crossed with the no-touch thing. He just seems less at ease in these photos or is it just me? I'm glad to see Chelsy is hanging on him and being herself. 

I had the same impression. And yes, really cute pictures!! They surely are an attractive couple!

In everyone of those pictures they both look like:

• How long do we have to stand here?
  • This is awful!
  • Help - get me out of here!

The pictures are AWFUL & the umbrella is idiotic.

Wow, those pics make me sad. She's dressed more Maxwellian and they aren't touching. And of course, the pictures had to be taken by a Maxwell. 

It's very clear that Steve was not happy with how this all went down. His obsession with his family and the whole keeping an image of "us only" is so deeply disturbing. 

30 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Objectively Steve's a pretty average looking guy for his age, certainly not hideous out anything.  If he was a normal person no one would bat an eye at his looks.

Very average and not bad looking for his age.  It is the eyes that are off.  He is given to intense stares.

23 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Chelsy turned into Mary in those pics  :tw_frown:

I think the glaring difference in announcements between the families is HUGE. 

Bontragers=bright red dress showing knees with arms around her and very close.

Maxwells=bland colors and barely touching. She even died down the eyeliner

I hate to see her change for the Maxwells. I'm still hoping she will be herself in her home and out with John but conform only at the Maxhell home. She will go fucking insane if she is forced to become a maxhellion of blandness and schedules.

15 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Very average and not bad looking for his age.  It is the eyes that are off.  He is given to intense stares.

John's eyes + Chelsy's eyes = children who will see through your soul

They look so uncomfortable in the Maxwell pictures. The other pictures show that they are more relaxed with each other at least when they aren't being glared at by Steve. Did Christopher take these? 

53 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

In everyone of those pictures they both look like:

• How long do we have to stand here?
  • This is awful!
  • Help - get me out of here!

The pictures are AWFUL & the umbrella is idiotic.

Prissy Chris probably took the pics.. Read the wedding list.  Interesting there is a Bontragers cousin as a bridesmaid.  No flower girls and ring bearer?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived