IGNORED

Maxwell 13: And Another One Bites the Dust - John is Engaged

Coconut Flan

18 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

The girls were in matching outfits? What a surprise.

I'll give them a pass because the girls are still little. But if they're still dressing alike when the older girls are teens, then it's not cute anymore. Just like when we first "met" the Bates family on However Many Kids and Counting. Josie and Katie looked cute in the matching prairie dresses. Carlin was maybe still young enough to pull off the matchy-match look. But from Alyssa on up, er... not so much. 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, johnhugh said:

Isn’t the blonde girl the one Stevie renamed Grace as she had the same name as Anna or Mary?  Life is so complicated that people cannot have the fsame first name.

Yup, that's her. I think her name is Sarah. 

Renaming a person is just dumb. Normal practice is to use an initial, like Sarah M and Sarah H or whatever. If they have the same initial, maybe use middle names. 

A name is a big part of someone's identity. Renaming someone like that without seemingly asking is rude and disrespectful IMO.

35 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Renaming a person is just dumb. Normal practice is to use an initial, like Sarah M and Sarah H or whatever. If they have the same initial, maybe use middle names. 

A name is a big part of someone's identity. Renaming someone like that without seemingly asking is rude and disrespectful IMO.

They went by her middle name right? So why didn't they just do what they did with the two Anna's? Anna and Anna Marie is fine. So Sarah and Sarah Grace would be fine too. It's not changing anyone's name. It's just calling them by their first and middle. I never mind when people call me by my first and middle. But it would be terribly odd if people called me by my middle name. I would forget to answer!

1 hour ago, johnhugh said:

Isn’t the blonde girl the one Stevie renamed Grace as she had the same name as Anna or Mary?  Life is so complicated that people cannot have the fsame first name.

Yes.

Gosh, I normally hate mother-daughter matching outfits, but Anna seems to pull it off. It always strikes me how natural her smiles look, as well, especially when compared to Sarah for example.

Ok, fair enough on the name thing. I just hope the Maxwells checked that it was OK.

I just saw that Meet Chelsy post on the Bontrager blog. She LOVES organising. That'll be a big plus for the Maxwells. 

Is it Chelsy who's normally done the blog posts? I haven't read many, do we think her writing skills are better than Sarah's? 

Also, both Chelsy and John come from a background of touring the country and performing music (ok, that wasn't the main reason for the Maxwell conferences, but it did play a part). I wonder if they'll do something similar. 

I'm still surprised they're not celebrating John's engagement because of his brother's mistake. How terribly depressing. 

On a petty note, did anyone else notice it appears they made their The Knot website with Chelsy & John first, then disabled it and used John & Chelsy. Heaven forbid. Lol

IMG_8792.PNG

I also see from her Pinterest that Chelsy is a Jane Austen fan, and seems to have a particular liking for Jonny Lee Miller. It's no wonder John was her type.

She seems to prefer the Keira Knightley Pride and Prejudice to the Colin Firth one though, so I'm judging her for that!

9 minutes ago, physicalscience said:

On a petty note, did anyone else notice it appears they made their The Knot website with Chelsy & John first, then disabled it and used John & Chelsy. Heaven forbid. Lol

Gotta be fundamentally correct!!

26 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I just saw that Meet Chelsy post on the Bontrager blog. She LOVES organising. That'll be a big plus for the Maxwells. 

I have a sense from reading here on fj that Chelsy will be a huge blast of energy, maybe too much for the Maxwell fusspots, who may gain sudden insight into how dated and irrelevant they've become under the Stevehovah soul-death regime. 

4 hours ago, terranova said:

I've been cruising the photos from #cssdevcon on twitter and OMG! Women! Women in trousers! Women without chaperones! Booze! Mennin drag! New Orleans! Parties! Glow sticks! Costumes!

How the hell did Jesse cope?! Did he stay in his room for the whole conference??

Fasting, praying and weeping...no animal crackers for our boy.

37 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I also see from her Pinterest that Chelsy is a Jane Austen fan, and seems to have a particular liking for Jonny Lee Miller. It's no wonder John was her type.

She seems to prefer the Keira Knightley Pride and Prejudice to the Colin Firth one though, so I'm judging her for that!

I think I saw a reply to a reader where she said she watched too many Jane Austen movies at one point when she was a teen. Hey, I think we've all done that with a romance movie in our teens. Mine was Romeo + Juliet with Claire Danes.

I think there's a reason why we see very little of Joe and family on the blog. Even though he still lives 0.7 miles away from Maxhell, I think he isn't up their asses like the others. He has an almost 2 year old child and no announcement of a new blessing. They aren't constantly at the Maxwell home nor are they taking trips with them. I'm not saying Joe is a rebel and is no longer fundie or anything like that. But I think he has some boundaries. And I can easily see John following in those footsteps. It's much easier to do when you see your older brother doing it and making it work. I think Chelsy will be pretty involved with the family at first since she's new to the area. But once she gets to know some people and starts popping out a family of her own, we won't see her much on the blog. 

I left a very innocent comment on how our family is collecting rubbers for the Christmas boxes, especially ribbed rubbers. It got rejected.

Stevie you are more worldly than you let on.

54 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think I saw a reply to a reader where she said she watched too many Jane Austen movies at one point when she was a teen. Hey, I think we've all done that with a romance movie in our teens. Mine was Romeo + Juliet with Claire Danes.

Romeo + Juliet was simply amazing!  I still have the soundtrack to it, I love it!

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think there's a reason why we see very little of Joe and family on the blog. Even though he still lives 0.7 miles away from Maxhell, I think he isn't up their asses like the others. He has an almost 2 year old child and no announcement of a new blessing. They aren't constantly at the Maxwell home nor are they taking trips with them. I'm not saying Joe is a rebel and is no longer fundie or anything like that. But I think he has some boundaries. And I can easily see John following in those footsteps. It's much easier to do when you see your older brother doing it and making it work. I think Chelsy will be pretty involved with the family at first since she's new to the area. But once she gets to know some people and starts popping out a family of her own, we won't see her much on the blog. 

How will she get to know anyone outside the family?

12 hours ago, Coconutwater said:

Maybe John proposed without the fasting and prayer through Stehovah and didn't ask for permission from his parents. Might be the reason for the silence because he knew she's too worldly for their standards. I've always gotten the vibe he wants different for himself. 

I'm really asking myself wether Mr. Bontrager would have agreed to this engagement without being sure that John's father was okay with it. 

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The only "romance" kinda movie I liked was Tromeo and Juilet. I'll let you search that one for yourself. Preferably when you're not at work ;)

4 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

How will she get to know anyone outside the family?

Maybe she will get to know some neighbors, lol. I bet Chelsy won't go for home churching. She will probably want to find a church for them to go to. She doesn't seem like she would put up with a Maxwell home church every Sunday. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe she will get to know some neighbors, lol. I bet Chelsy won't go for home churching. She will probably want to find a church for them to go to. She doesn't seem like she would put up with a Maxwell home church every Sunday. 

Yes, exactly.  But, headship?

21 minutes ago, Howl said:

Yes, exactly.  But, headship?

Does Joe go to the church of Steve? I wouldn't be surprised if he and Elissa had a brick and mortar church they went to. 

On 10/12/2017 at 5:26 PM, Captain Obvious said:

I'm sure the family have stayed in hotels with TVs before. I bet he has some kind of family prayer where they passive aggressively shame the TV for existing.

What an excellent title for the next Maxhell travel thread: Passive Aggressively Shaming the TV

Five (5) Days, count’em! Five!

if this gets to a full week I’m treating myself to a Maxwell Anti-Fast! And I’ll do it at Lotawata Creek, one of the Arndt Family’s favored feeding troughs, where 2 animal crackers might be garnish for an incr cream sundae but would be the equivalent of 1/100ths of a dessert. What I’m saying is, No Bean Burritos.

Confession: if I were a guy or lesbian, I would consider Mrs. Anna Maxwell a stone cold fox. Varicosities & all. Pretty, natural, seems happy even married to a very damaged man, her children exhibit their own personalities (glower on, Lydia! Frown if you feel like frowning, other daughter)!, as opposed to the constantly smiling old photos of their poor Maxaunties as children.

I think she, of all of them, really enjoys the life.

On 10/11/2017 at 4:11 PM, Jana814 said:

How is John least isolated.  But glad that someone posted something about the Maxwells being so isolated. 

He goes on secret missions! But, less snarky, he does go to Magento conferences, seemingly quite a bit based on his mentions on Twitter. 

Anything else is all shrouded in secrecy since the dog & pony public money making scheme has dried up. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived