IGNORED

Counting on - Season 4, part 3 - Lying but not Laying while camping

Buzzard

38 minutes ago, flycat said:

I was a little shocked that Austin reached into Joy’s hammock to feel her feet in the morning. From any other non-fundie couple I wouldn’t be surprised but it was very forward in a culture that has hug rules. 

I thought that was just me that was surprised by that.   But it's not as bad as Jinger and Jeremy huddling on the couch like they would have been broken apart if separated. 

things are progressing between new engagement people. 

Although Jessa would NEVER have allowed Ben to do that. 

well this is fascinating 

http://www.fame10.com/entertainment/6-rich-reality-stars-who-went-broke/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=FT_FBK_CA_DESK&utm_content=A1

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@subsaharanafrica, I'm happy to do your camping for you, but I refuse to go potty in the woods! I can deal with vault toilets, but stay at a campground with flush toilets and showers, if I have any say about it! I know- to some, not camping, but I do love sleeping in my tent!

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

For some reason I didn't like the updo all that much. And I didn't like the headband. And I thought the makeup looked ridiculous (really, it was probably just the giant fake eyelashes that ruined it, otherwise it would've been nice). I actually liked her hair the way she wore it on her wedding day, and it seemed more 'her'. Hopefully she did her hair and makeup the way she wanted it on her wedding day and had control over at least that.

I agree.  Lose the lashes, too much on young girls, IMO.  I did like the hair but not for her dress.  A grecian like gown, yes!  It was a bit Princess Leia though, goid start.  

Also, the wedding dress lady would make me cranky,  I find her annoying.  " Soooo, is The Joy?!"  Shut up lady.  I know, I'm mean.  Lol

Just watching the newest episode and Im thinking about Austin's house. If you are taking that much apart of the house's main structure, and rebuild it, isn't it easier to just built a new house? Especiall since there is no basement/cellar, I assume? It didn't look like it has a basement...

21 hours ago, Queen said:

@IReallyAmHopewell I have no idea about the material condition in Ben's family home, but wasn't his dad the one who said he himself (the dad!) would molest a sister or daughter if he'd had the chance and if his god didn't forbid it? 

WHAT??

10 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Just watching the newest episode and Im thinking about Austin's house. If you are taking that much apart of the house's main structure, and rebuild it, isn't it easier to just built a new house? Especiall since there is no basement/cellar, I assume? It didn't look like it has a basement...

Um, but we have to see how "capable" he is of "providing." He is a husband now. He must pretend to work. If he built a new house it wouldn't show his acquired "wisdom" in  flipping houses. Plus, maybe the location is great? (I haven't seen it).

2 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Also, the wedding dress lady would make me cranky,  I find her annoying.  " Soooo, is The Joy?!"  Shut up lady.  I know, I'm mean.  Lol

Mizz Renee gets on my nerves so much that I would smother her with all that tulle.

1 hour ago, eveandadam said:

I thought it had a basement? I'm going by 1 quick scene where Austin was looking at the water heater or furnace (I think that is what he was looking at) and it looked like a basement.  I could be totally wrong because it was literally about 1.5 seconds on the TV.

As for taking the house down vs fixing it, if the frame of the home is good, which it seems to be they will save a lot of time and money keeping the bones of the house intact rather than ripping it all out and starting over.  The siding is in fine shape, just needs paint, new shingles and you are good on the roof,  There is a lot left behind that you won't have to replace by doing it this way, they probably save $40-50k.

7 hours ago, singsingsing said:

For some reason I didn't like the updo all that much. And I didn't like the headband. And I thought the makeup looked ridiculous (really, it was probably just the giant fake eyelashes that ruined it, otherwise it would've been nice). I actually liked her hair the way she wore it on her wedding day, and it seemed more 'her'. Hopefully she did her hair and makeup the way she wanted it on her wedding day and had control over at least that.

I would have liked the hair more if it looked as if it were done THAT DAY and not done three days ago, slept in, and tried to get away with using... I do not like "messy" hair setups.

I liked the headband but not for that hair.

Eyelashes were WAAY too much.

I enjoy camping, but that looked like no campsite I've ever been to. It looked like the side of a farm road that had some space, though they seemed to enjoy their time being young.

I liked the big braid, but Mr. C looked up and asked if we were watching the Hunger Games, from the braid, headband and lashes. Then amused himself by assuming all of the Fundies have a big summer conference where the jumbo families compete on their martyrdom and looking up the big Christian gatherings for his work (he's in targeted activity based tourism).   I like going with him on work trips, but really think we'd be a bit fish out of water at those events.

5 minutes ago, cascarones said:

I like going with him on work trips, but really think we'd be a bit fish out of water at those events.

I'm my former fundy light adjacent life I went to a couple women's retreats in camps similar to Ft. Rock, they were fairly fun, but I hung with other heathen women who liked to do heathen things, like wear pants and make our husbands 'babysit' their own children.  DH & I were invited to a marriage retreat camp in S. Mo many many moons ago, we probably would have run into the Duggar's as this was, I think, about 06, but figured we would stick out like liberal fish in holy water.  My friend and her DH (now EX-dh)  went and said it was "a little much" even for them and they were pretty Fundylite almost full fundy at that time. I'm glad we didn't bother.

8 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

SNIP

I loved Ben's suggestion that the plush horses weren't easily washable and could have bugs. Does this mean that Ben's kids won't be wearing thrift store shoes? That is unimaginable in Duggar-land!

I'm with Ben here as well. When you've witnessed young children chew and spit up on their toys...well, you really start to think about things that are easy to clean. I understand if buying used toys is what a person can afford, but realistically, Ben and Jessa can certainly afford to buy brand new $20 stick horses. There are honestly just some things that are better to buy brand new versus used if you are able. As another poster said (apologies for not giving credit, but my memory is not so good these days), the stick horses seemed to be a fond memory of childhood for Jessa which is probably why she was so insistent on getting them - not worth the argument. Then you've got Jackson and Tyler who are all, "yeah yeah yeah! Get the stick horses!" and it's even more of a lost cause for Ben. 

10 hours ago, Lurky said:

Who's the guy sticking 2 fingers up at Josiah's selfie in his insta?  That's not very Fundy at all!

2 fingers up isn't rude in the US. I'll always remember the moment I found this out, on a conference in NYC when I was 18 and I asked the group leader when a meeting was.  He said "2pm", gave me twos and walked away, and I was sat there stunned for a few seconds like "excuse me??" 

It's rude in the UK, Ire, Aus and maybe a few other places. In other places, v common to do in pictures especially in Japan. #FactOfTheDay! 

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

As for taking the house down vs fixing it, if the frame of the home is good, which it seems to be they will save a lot of time and money keeping the bones of the house intact rather than ripping it all out and starting over.  The siding is in fine shape, just needs paint, new shingles and you are good on the roof,  There is a lot left behind that you won't have to replace by doing it this way, they probably save $40-50k.

Yep, and saves a lot on permits too!

@allthegoodnamesrgone.  I for one, wish you two went!  For purely selfish reasons, especially id Duggars were there!

9 minutes ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

2 fingers up isn't rude in the US. I'll always remember the moment I found this out, on a conference in NYC when I was 18 and I asked the group leader when a meeting was.  He said "2pm", gave me twos and walked away, and I was sat there stunned for a few seconds like "excuse me??" 

It's rude in the UK, Ire, Aus and maybe a few other places. In other places, v common to do in pictures especially in Japan. #FactOfTheDay! 

It's a peace sign in the USA...what does it mean elsewhere??? 

36 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

It's a peace sign in the USA...what does it mean elsewhere??? 

In the UK it is the like flipping the bird here in the US. 

1 hour ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

Where I'm from we call that a peace sign, lol

I know I missed this convo like 3 pages back, but in the preview for next week's "ode to joy", it said it's the last episode before joy's better-edited wedding episode... anyone have a guess as if that will that be the end of the season already? if so, oh my word we will endlessly be delayed on their lives, progressively worse each season >:( ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

In the UK it is the like flipping the bird here in the US. 

I learned the hard way in Europe that when showing numbers on fingers one begins with the thumb.  I held up my index finger and broken French asking for something ( I think a pastry) and got 2 of them in a box. It actually worked out ok but it took me a min to realize what happened. I went happily on my way with two treats.  If I was ordering a colonoscopy that would be a different story. :wtsf:

The two fingered salute, is done with the palm of your hand facing you, like the middle finger here.  The palm facing away was Churchill's V for victory sign, and the cub scout salute. Of course, naughty little boys would turn it around. Could have changed, but that's how it was back in dinosaur days.

10 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Mizz Renee gets on my nerves so much that I would smother her with all that tulle.

I just figured out who she reminds me of!  Effie Trinket from The Hunger Games.  With no Cinna to buffer.  

Just watched the makeup part of the episode. Oh Jody (black male MUA) if only you knew what the Duggars truly thought of you.

On the bright side, he made her makeup look really good. It's a natural soft glam. I know some people think it was too much but it's very tame compared to the instagram, beat for the gods, fleekiness that's typical nowadays. This is a standard 'natural bride' look.

Also, Duggar genes are a mindfuck. How is it that Joy looks like Jill from certain angles and Jessa from other angles? (when Jill and Jessa look nothing alike). Genetic variation is really something. 

10 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

Thanks!   So many things that are culturally different across the Atlantic!

@MayMay1123 In the UK and everywhere I've been in Europe, as @Bad Wolf says, doing it with palm facing out (as in Japan etc) is completely benign, peace sign.  But palm facing in is F you.  I had wondered if that lad was going for "rock" but look at where that comes from!  Sign of the Horns, man! (and don't point that at people in Mediterranean countries, either!)

15 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

t figured we would stick out like liberal fish in holy water.  My friend and her DH (now EX-dh)  went and said it was "a little much" even for them and they were pretty Fundylite almost full fundy at that time. I'm glad we didn't bother.

Love the phrase in bold. Being an interracial couple where I'm Christian and he's not made trying testing church waters a bit different than when I've moved before. I have family that's fundylight and did some youth camps with my cousins, but when we went to event where my cousin was performing his take aways were tall Asian men are mythical creatures in Kentucky and that I'd been trotted out like a county fair winning goat to every good single Christian man there to be saved from the New York heathen. It was the first time we'd encountered blatant racism over our relationship. Clearly not all fundylite or people from shielded rural communities are racist. Yet it was strange having people be open about how if I was Asian and he was white that was just fine (Vietnam vets!), but us being the reverse is weird and a shame.  I really felt for Jana when the courtship rumors about Jonathan Hortono (I think?), just knowing what we've encountered. 

Anywho, I just looked at the photos again and now very much want a lipstick or stain in the color Kendra had. It was very pretty and not crazy enough that you'd need to be careful about remembering touchups to avoid looking like a hot mess as it wore off.

ETA: Was anyone else raised with the anti-red lipstick thing, because it's too inviting for men? 

• Buzzard locked and unpinned this topic

Archived