IGNORED

Seewalds 25: Jessa is allowing Spurgeon to "jump for joy", er, dance

samurai_sarah

Weird coincidence just happened- work is holding a breakfast potluck today and someone made biscuits and gravy. Thank goodness because this discussion was making me crave them and pregnancy cravings must be fed. 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to school in the southern US, biscuits and gravy or fried bologna breakfast was the hangover cure all with coffee, tea and usually the gatordate from the fountain. 

@Rachel333 Before pregnancy got me eating meat again, I'd use left over crumbled tofu sofritas for a bit of a Tex mex. or if I really wanted the texture just crumbly veggie burger. 

The PNW crew might know about Biscuit Bitch, about the only breakfast place we go to since he's nowhere near as in love with breakfast as I am. I have to have something breakfasty first, before I can eat other food, but we've all got our food quirks. Pretty pumped for a visit to Texas next week where I will eat all of the breakfast tacos and kolaches.

26 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Born in England, biscuits and gravy confused me until I realized biscuits =/= cookies.

Fish and chips really confused me until I realized chips are fries and not potato chips.

Who needs a recipe for biscuits and gravy??? I use canned biscuits but the sausage gravy...easy peasy...no recipe needed. Sausage, flour, milk and pepper is all you need. 

Long hair - mine was down to my hips at one point. It only got in my way when I wanted to roll the windows down in the car and didn't pull it back. Now, it's about my shoulder blades/bra strap. Maybe I'll grow it out again. 

I was thinking, "What the heck are canned biscuits?" Googled it and they're just those Pillsbury things. I have no idea why, but I've never heard those called 'canned' biscuits before. Bizarre, given that they, you know... come in a can...

(I was picturing like a big soup can with already-cooked biscuits preserved inside somehow. :pb_lol:)

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Born in England, biscuits and gravy confused me until I realized biscuits =/= cookies.

I know every single time I hear biscuits this is what I think of...

9a0fb-upload_-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Yup this sums it up for me! 

IMG_2184.PNG

4 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

As a northerner I've never had biscuits and gravy :mindblowing:

Bless your heart!  Come down to where I live, and I'll fix you right up.  You'll love it.

Nooo! No canned biscuits!

Easy-peasy:  Self-rising flour (White Lily is best), milk, crisco. Smoosh it up, roll it out, cut, bake. YUM.

22 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I know every single time I hear biscuits this is what I think of...

9a0fb-upload_-1.jpg

What are cookies doing in this sewing kit tin?? :tw_grimace:

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I was thinking, "What the heck are canned biscuits?" Googled it and they're just those Pillsbury things. I have no idea why, but I've never heard those called 'canned' biscuits before. Bizarre, given that they, you know... come in a can...

(I was picturing like a big soup can with already-cooked biscuits preserved inside somehow. :pb_lol:)

All this talk about canned food makes me miss @OkToBeTakei and her canned chicken.

18 minutes ago, Ms. Squishels said:

Bless your heart!  Come down to where I live, and I'll fix you right up.  You'll love it.

Sounds good! :) Thank you! Haha

7 minutes ago, cptbailey said:

What are cookies doing in this sewing kit tin?? :tw_grimace:

Hahah yes! They rarely actually had biscuits in them. Sewing stuff, nails, legos, hooks for trouting. Occasionally, you might open them and actually see biscuits! :P 

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Aaahhh! Now I get it. Thanks! The last pages were like 'WTF do they eat'?:confused2: 

After I checked the translation for gravy I was even more confused. I never had the idea to check the translation for biscuits...

@cptbailey I couldn't resist 

IMG_20170907_184807.thumb.jpg.92d890ae84921fad2fb8d9671c9c30fb.jpg

I'm Canadian and have only had biscuits and gravy on trips to Florida. At first the gravy weirded me out because to me gravy is brown and tastes like meat. This stuff was like wallpaper paste. But I adjusted and would definitely eat it again.

As for biscuits, I have a neighbor who constantly offers her dogs treats and always calls them biscuits. The headship and I have been tempted to take a swing at her after ten minutes of "Do you want a biscuit? Do you want a biscuit? Here's a biscuit. Come and get your biscuit." It has left me with an irrational hatred of the word biscuit.

Just now, SorenaJ said:

I really don't want to know what biscuits and gravy is. I don't even know what American biscuits are. 

Apparently they are softer, more savoury scones. But that could be complete bollocks!

Gravy to me is meat gravy, Bisto, have it on a roast dinner. The white gravy confuses me, what does it taste of?

10 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I really don't want to know what biscuits and gravy is. I don't even know what American biscuits are. 

My husband says they're sour scones. Same texture - much different flavor.

10 minutes ago, SuffolkNWhat said:

Apparently they are softer, more savoury scones. But that could be complete bollocks!

Gravy to me is meat gravy, Bisto, have it on a roast dinner. The white gravy confuses me, what does it taste of?

If prepared correctly, it tastes of a little slice of heaven ( and I'm a semi heathen).

9 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

American biscuits are sort of like a cross between a dinner roll and a savory scone. This recipe can give you an idea of what they're like:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.food.com/amp/recipe/southern-buttermilk-biscuits-26110

Biscuits go well with any meal of the day, although they are particularly popular as breakfast food. You can fill them with butter, margarine, jam, etc. if you want. If you cut a biscuit in half, you can use it as the ends of a sandwich. In my opinion, the Flying Biscuit diners in Atlanta make the best biscuits, no competition at all.

10 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

My husband says they're sour scones. Same texture - much different flavor.

9 minutes ago, SuffolkNWhat said:

The white gravy confuses me, what does it taste of?

Mostly, it tastes like whatever grease is used to make the roux, typically sausage or bacon. The leftover grease is heated, flour is stirred in until it browns, then milk is added, along with salt and pepper. It's simmered (stirring constantly) until it thickens. I can't make it to save my life.

Just now, EmmieJ said:

If prepared correctly, it tastes of a little slice of heaven ( and I'm a semi heathen).

I need to try me some of these then!

15 minutes ago, SuffolkNWhat said:

Very like savoury scones but I think the texture is slightly different.  Not in a way I can explain.  (ETA @Cleopatra7 nailed it)Buttermilk biscuits are good.

The white gravy is basically bechamel (white) sauce except made from pork fat (sausage or bacon drippings) with the meat added back in after the sauce has thickened.  It tastes meaty.  If it tastes like wallpaper paste it hasn't cooked long enough.  Heart attack on a plate!

Grits are maize porridge.  If you were ever forced to eat semolina pudding as a child - similar but a bit "grittier."

Some of our British recipes sound disgusting to Americans.  Like fish pie.  Although tuna casserole is one of the most disgusting things I have ever had to eat.  :)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived