IGNORED

Seewalds 25: Jessa is allowing Spurgeon to "jump for joy", er, dance

samurai_sarah

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

Ehhhh Michelle seemed to wean at 6 months whether the baby wanted to or not. ;) I wouldn't say she was attached or attentive. 

I saw an interview where she said she wanted to nurse until 18 months but seemed to get pregnant at 6 months and the baby weaned itself. I think it was on the Christian Broadcast Network 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew people would snark on her for the bottle. My son is a week older than Spurgeon and still has a bottle (same brand in fact) before bed and at 6 am when he wakes up. During the rest of the day he doesn't have a bottle, and drinks just fine from cups with straws. He never has anything other than milk or water - no juice, no sugar at all actually. Could I do battle with him at the crack ass of dawn to take a sippy cup for his milk? Sure. Is it a hill I'm going to die on, no thanks.

And my son also speaks two languages in full sentences, he is far, far ahead of his milestones for verbal skills so no, having a bottle once or twice a day doesn't retard verbal development. Who the hell are these people honestly...

I still think Spurgeon could be a model for baby shampoo (and be paid in a trust fund that only he can access when he turns 18, and then uses that money to go to a non-fundie accredited college...)

6 hours ago, calimojo said:

Before we praise Jessa too much, remember,  she chooses to put her innocent and very adorable children's pictures on her Public Instagram.  She has control over this and she could protect her children from being overly exposed in the public eye. 

So, while I appreciate a good dose of sass and 'tude,  and I agree that the mommy brigade is OTT much of the time,  Jessa, doesn't get much play from me on this because she could simply stop posting pictures of her kids. 

can I just give you a brownie and call it a night.  What you said is brilliant.  The woman can't have it both ways.  Post endless photos of the child with whatever is in his mouth then lambast people when they comment.  Sweetie you are and want to be in the public eye. 

42 minutes ago, nst said:

The woman can't have it both ways.  Post endless photos of the child with whatever is in his mouth then lambast people when they comment.  Sweetie you are and want to be in the public eye. 

Hahah well she can. In some cases it is rather ridiculous what Jessa gets called out for. Spurgeon drinking out of a bottle at not yet 2? The horror. Supporting some anti-abortion thing? Cool.* 

Seriously though, the child isn't going to be scarred for life because he's still drinking from a bottle. 

*Didn't happen, I don't think but she's been careful of late and I can't think of something. 

56 minutes ago, nst said:

The woman can't have it both ways.  Post endless photos of the child with whatever is in his mouth then lambast people when they comment.  Sweetie you are and want to be in the public eye. 

Oh, I love this argument. "You choose to be in the public eye, so you're not allowed to complain about anything anyone says to you or about you."

Er, no, that's not how it works. She can have it both ways. She can post whatever she wants, and she can complain about whatever comments she gets. Just like you can complain about her complaining. Or should I say that you can't have it both ways - you can't choose to follow Jessa and then complain about what she posts? No, because that would be ridiculous.

38 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Oh, I love this argument. "You choose to be in the public eye, so you're not allowed to complain about anything anyone says to you or about you."

Er, no, that's not how it works. She can have it both ways. She can post whatever she wants, and she can complain about whatever comments she gets. Just like you can complain about her complaining. Or should I say that you can't have it both ways - you can't choose to follow Jessa and then complain about what she posts? No, because that would be ridiculous.

Thank you. I get so sick of the BEC comments some times. There is plenty to snark on these people about, Joy's size, how Jessa feeds Spurg, Jill putting a tortilla on Sammy's head, or the condition and length insert J sister here hair.  This isn't at you specifically just the whole board in general, focus the snark on things that matter. mommy shaming, body shaming, baby shamming is just not cool.  

3 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Thank you. I get so sick of the BEC comments some times. There is plenty to snark on these people abo. mommy shaming, body shaming, baby shamming is just not cool.  

Totally agree, especially the histeria with the kids is crazy. I'm quite sure most of us became functioning adults without car seats, perfect bottle weaning, etc etc. 

On 9/1/2017 at 8:13 AM, Carm_88 said:
Jessa and Ben had a date night with Henry, Spurgeon, and a spider. 

I am always impressed with Spurgies fine motor skills

I love Henry's smile!! He's too cute. Look at that little punim!! (Punim is Yiddish for face...and that's the extent of my Yiddish knowledge) 

Jessa has always been a lil smart ass when defending her family and their way of living. I personally don't have an issue with the bottle. I do have an issue with kids nursing til their in 1st grade. Saw it on Youtube. But hey if anyone up here is nursing for 5-6 years, that's your business and your child. My mom claims I was still asking for my bottle at 3 and she cursed out many for having an opinion. So I probably should shut up. 

For all we know he might be using a cup at home and a bottle at the wedding as to not screw up his suit. Kids who are just learning to drink from a cup mess up all the time. He's right in the age range that he probably could drink from it but has accidents as well from being distracted and knocking stuff over. I would take the easy way out on a wedding too. 

4 hours ago, Dutchie said:

Totally agree, especially the histeria with the kids is crazy. I'm quite sure most of us became functioning adults without car seats, perfect bottle weaning, etc etc. 

(bolding mine)

Okay, hold your horses. Criticizing Jessa for the fact that Spurgeon still has a bottle is ridiculous mom-shaming. Criticizing fundies for neglecting their children's safety with regards to car seats is absolutely appropriate. You wanna know who didn't grow up to become functioning adults? The kids who died in traffic accidents because they were not in proper car seats. So fuck that stupid "argument."

3 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Jessa has always been a lil smart ass when defending her family and their way of living. I personally don't have an issue with the bottle. I do have an issue with kids nursing til their in 1st grade. Saw it on Youtube. But hey if anyone up here is nursing for 5-6 years, that's your business and your child. My mom claims I was still asking for my bottle at 3 and she cursed out many for having an opinion. So I probably should shut up. 

Internationally the average weaning age is 4 years old so I don't think longer term BF is that much of an issue

52 minutes ago, SuffolkNWhat said:

Internationally the average weaning age is 4 years old so I don't think longer term BF is that much of an issue

That's absurd! For that to be so there would have to be many, many countries where large amounts of women BF for 6,7 or more years, given that in most western countries <12 months is the norm and many mums choose not to BF at all!

Seems I'm not the only one to think so:

http://thelactivist.blogspot.co.uk/2008/01/myth-busting-average-age-of-weaning-45.html

http://breastfeedingwithoutbs.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/bullshitometer-no-average-age-of.html

it seems this is an urban myth.

10 hours ago, Dutchie said:

my  mom tells the story of me in the back seat of a convertible Mercedes at the age of two with no seat belt driving from Vancouver to banff with her just holding my hand for however long it takes to get there.  

14 hours ago, crazysnark said:

I saw an interview where she said she wanted to nurse until 18 months but seemed to get pregnant at 6 months and the baby weaned itself. I think it was on the Christian Broadcast Network 

Michelle said her period always returned when her baby was 6 weeks old.She said her milk dried up when she became pregnant with the next one.

14 hours ago, crazysnark said:

Right! She said. I would take anything that Michelle says with a hefty grain of salt. She also says that they are not quiverfull, Josh's molestations were just mild inappropriate touching, she raises her own children, so on and so forth. 

15 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Sure. Is it a hill I'm going to die on, no thanks.

I love this phrase! Parents need to pick their battles wisely. The older they get the more fun it is (not).

Re Spurgeon, the bottle isn't the biggest issue, being raised in a cult is. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived