IGNORED

Seewalds 25: Jessa is allowing Spurgeon to "jump for joy", er, dance

samurai_sarah

6 hours ago, cascarones said:

We've been watching the Great British Bake Off and mr. cascarones keeps exclaiming he's never eaten that and giving me puppy dog eyes, when I explain that yes he has, but yes, I will make it for him. He in turn discovered a lovely South African tea joint near us that has all savory pies his heart could desire, all the tea and sweet scones and pudding mine could. Another confusion is the concept of British puddings (sponge cake with flavor injected to form the custard at the bottom) and Southern US poke cake.

I've eaten poke cake, but I've never heard it called that before. I had to Google it to confirm that I knew what you meant.

It's too bad so many of you have missed out on biscuits and gravy. They have it at IHOP and Cracker Barrel. 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The texture of the gravy in biscuits and gravy makes me feel a little queasy. 

But American biscuits are the shit! I love that stuff. It's flaky, soft and warm. It takes like happiness. No butter though. \

@Shadoewolf Please post pics of the cake :) 

10 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

Currently baking a S'mores cake, about 5 more minutes in the oven. 

Can I have some? Sounds delicious.

Golden butter cake, marshmallow fluff and crushed graham crackers in between the layers. Whipped milk chocolate frosting, graham cracker dust and toasted marshmallows on top. I use a brulee torch for that pretty brown toastiness. It's amazing but more than one slice and you're in a sugar coma.

2 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

Golden butter cake, marshmallow fluff and crushed graham crackers in between the layers. Whipped milk chocolate frosting, graham cracker dust and toasted marshmallows on top. I use a brulee torch for that pretty brown toastiness. It's amazing but more than one slice and you're in a sugar coma.

I'm drooling over here. That sounds amazing.

56 minutes ago, cascarones said:

Such good Rooibos! They even have little signs on the tables reminding you to enjoy your tea, so if you're going to work to limit to an hour. As someone who appreciates the soothing of a good cuppa, it's nice, and as a freelancer I appreciate it too so I don't wear my spots out as quickly.

Rooibos is one of my favorite teas!

I'm glad I'm stuffing my gob with some B-Bops, I was STARVING and all this cake talk would have done me in.  Now I'm wishing I still had some of the chocolate chip cookies I made.  

41 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

Could you please send me some! 

1 hour ago, Shadoewolf said:

Can you please post the recipe?  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

i made rice krispy squares that didn't turn out 

i am not kidding 

2 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

I had no idea there was a S'mores cake until I saw it on Gilmore Girls when Sookie made the S'mores wedding cake and immediately had to check online to make sure they really did exist. I don't know how I made it all those years without knowing such a thing existed. 

I LOVEEEE all things s'mores!! But since I still live at home, my ENTIRE family hates the concept that is s'mores. I love looking at desserts and that cake looks so great but I would have to eat it by myself (actually tbh I think I should just do that).

I usually bake from scratch but everyone was waiting up so I short-cutted it. Beware, this baby is insanely good and I recommend with vanilla ice cream or a big glass of milk. The easy way...

-1 box golden butter cake mix, I used Pillsbury. This one uses 1 cup water, 3 eggs and 1/3 cup butter. Definitely use butter not margarine, it won't taste right.

-1 quarter packet vanilla instant pudding mix (keeps cake moist)

-Duncan Hines WHIPPED chocolate frosting. I use whipped because it has less sugar.

-1 pack (about 5 full crackers) Honeymaid graham crackers. Put in a zipper storage bag and crush. I smack then roll it with a rolling pin.  

-1 jar Kraft Jet-puffed marshmallow creme

-Mini sized marshmallows 

Directions...

Make cake according to box directions but add in quarter pack of pudding mix too. I split the batter between two 9 inch round pans. It says bake for 29-33 minutes, I go for 30 then pull it out and let it rest. 

Once they are fully cooled, remove from pans and level the tops off with a long bladed knife.

Using a good sized spatula CAREFULLY spread the marshmallow creme on one side of each of the cakes. You may get some oozing, especially if the cakes aren't fully cooled or your kitchen gets too hot like mine does. 

Sprinkle a LOT of crushed graham crackers on top marshmallow creme on one of the cakes, then flip the other cake, marshmallow side down, onto the first one, sandwiching the graham crackers between two layers of marshmallow creme.

LIGHTLY use the chocolate frosting on top and all sides. If you aren't big on frosting, just do the top. 

Put mini marshmallows all over the top. Now normally this is where I take a brulee torch and brown the marshmallows but I was out of fuel. 

Sprinkle some graham crackers on top too. Let set in the fridge for at least 10-15 minutes.

I don't recommend big slices! It tastes amazing but it packs a sugar rush. 

I don't bake at all, too  exacting for my style (But I am a very, very good savory cook). Right now I am on day 4 of creating a sourdough starter, so far, so good. Wish me luck. I want to start baking all of our bread.

I've had biscuits and gravy a few times. While I love biscuits and make my own (using butter- yum!) I'm not a fan of the gravy. Fried mush, though, gets all of my love. Cook 1/2 lb of bulk sausage (breakfast type, not Italian type). Mix water, cornmeal, and a little salt and boil for about 10-15 minutes. Drain sausage and mix in, then put in a loaf pan and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, slice and fry on eash side. Serve with syrup. Tastes like love.

(Description because I think it's less well known than biscuits and gravy.)

I only had biscuits once while in Tennessee they were soooo good (I also had fried green tomatoes, grits, cinnamon bread and a whole lot of bourbon...amazing). 

But I do love my  local food...we have the best barbecues (charcoal, NEVER gas), what I consider the best pizza in the world (and that includes Italian), the most amazing pastries with a lot of dulce de leche, and artisanal gelato shops everywhere (you don't usually buy ice cream at the supermarket, you go the heladeria (gelateria) and get something that looks like this and tastes like heaven)

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 1.13.27 PM.png

That gelato looks amazzzing! I'm from WI and frozen custard is the bees knees here. We even have one local place that has an ice cream parlor situated on a farm and they make the ice cream using their own cow's fresh milk. It is the best around and they are always crazy busy. And once you're done there you can just drive down the road to the  meat market and pick up some locally made brats- a summer must have in WI. 

On 9/7/2017 at 9:21 AM, fluffernutter said:

My 16 year old tried biscuits and gravy at a resort at skyline drive in VA one morning last year and fell in love with it. She kept begging me to make it and so i found a good recipe for the sausage and gravy but can't make a biscuit to save my life. So canned it is. So good. So so good.

@fluffernutter,  don't used canned biscuits!  Try Grands frozen biscuits that are made by Pillsbury.  They're about as close to homemade from scratch as you can get.  Your biscuits and gravy will be even better.

@SassyPants, the Fall issue of Sift  magazine  has an article with recipes about things you can use your sourdough starter on.  

I second the frozen biscuit advice.  I was told about them by an ex boyfriends Southern grandma.  She stopped making them from scratch years prior and no one ever noticed.  Boy did they love her "homemade" biscuits.  She has since passed an I think took the secret to the grave.  I feel privileged she shared with me.

All this talk about biscuits and other baked things makes me wish I'd gotten a frozen biscuit out of the freezer and baked it when I was hungry for a snack a little while ago.

1 hour ago, albireo said:

@JesSky03 I'm in Wisconsin and always on the lookout for good sweets! Where is that farm ice cream parlor located?

It's just south of Fond du lac. Its called Kelley's Creamery- they were once featured on Good Morning America. 

We've got family in central New York State and the Cornell Dairy bar's ice cream is so rich it legally can't be sold as ice cream. It's part of their food science and agricultural sciences program.

Pumpkin pie is in the oven, yeast rolls a rising. I enjoy baking and when we eventually build our house I'm requesting a kneading counter set for my height, or a pull out ledge under the cabinet so I don't have to keep wearing heels for dough work. My grandmother's kitchen had the baking pews.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived