IGNORED

Seewalds 25: Jessa is allowing Spurgeon to "jump for joy", er, dance

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I know every single time I hear biscuits this is what I think of...

9a0fb-upload_-1.jpg

My grandma always had a tin of those WITH biscuits in them! But I think we called them shortbread cookies. 

Biscuits and gravy were a staple growing up in the Midwest. Everyone ate them at home and most restaurants had them on the menu. Sausage gravy and biscuits was even served at school. 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, SuffolkNWhat said:

Black pudding is another acquired taste from the UK. 

And one I never acquired ... 

Aren't tomatoes also part of a Full English Breakfast? I don't think my tummy is ready for tomatoes until at least twelve o'clock. :pb_lol: 

We've been watching the Great British Bake Off and mr. cascarones keeps exclaiming he's never eaten that and giving me puppy dog eyes, when I explain that yes he has, but yes, I will make it for him. He in turn discovered a lovely South African tea joint near us that has all savory pies his heart could desire, all the tea and sweet scones and pudding mine could. Another confusion is the concept of British puddings (sponge cake with flavor injected to form the custard at the bottom) and Southern US poke cake.

20 hours ago, karen77 said:

my grandmother -in-law wears those, they are hideous.

Karen77,Not only did my mother try to convince me to cut my hair really,short...I hate short hair..on me.My mother had me in a pixie until I was 8,I hated it.She also tried to convince me to wear polyester pants!I won't wear leggings cause I don't think I would look good in them.I refused the polyester pants!I will continue to wear my jeans.And I agree,polyester pants are hideous.

13 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Aren't tomatoes also part of a Full English Breakfast? I don't think my tummy is ready for tomatoes until at least twelve o'clock. :pb_lol: 

Yes. They're fried. They look like blood clots... hahaha

The only part of the Full English I'll eat is the eggs. Maybe the hashbrown (depending on where in the UK you order it, sometimes you get a hashbrown).

Add me to the list of Americans who aren't super enamored with biscuits and gravy. I really prefer darker gravies in general, like from beef or mushrooms, and while the dish tastes good it's sooooo so so heavy it kind of throws off the rest of my day. Ideally, I'd eat one (1) biscuit with gravy with something else, but whenever they're served to me it seems to be the only option :pb_neutral:

34 minutes ago, SuffolkNWhat said:

I love it! Best part of a Full English

Or a full Scottish! :-) Orkney black pudding is amazing *waves from up north* 

22 minutes ago, cascarones said:

the concept of British puddings (sponge cake with flavor injected to form the custard at the bottom

Does he perhaps mean Lemon Dainty.  I have a recipe and it is one of the few dessert or puddingy things that I succeed in making.  You cook it in a bain marie (fancy way of saying putting the casserole in another casserole half filled with water) and the batter magically turns into a souffle (cake-like) top with lemon custard underneath.  Nothing like poke cake.

When I was a kid, my parents had a house in Florida and we used to drive down every year for a few weeks.  I would eat practically the same thing for every meal:  biscuits and gravy for breakfast, and chicken fried steak with green beans for dinner.

This thread is making  me crave biscuits and gravy, but unfortunately I've given up gluten.  Need to find good gluten free biscuits and gravy recipes.

1 hour ago, SuffolkNWhat said:

Black pudding is another acquired taste from the UK. 

Black pudding and Tripe are both disgusting. 

My Lancashire born and bred Dad loves Tripe and Onions. I remember, back in the 70s having to visit the local market on Saturday morning to buy his Tripe for Saturday lunch when he arrived home from work. The Tripe hung on hooks at the front of the stall. Mum chose a piece, the Butcher wrapped it in brown paper. We all hated the smell. Mum opened the windows and backdoor before boiling it in a huge pot with roughly chopped onions. 

She fished it out of the water to drain using wooden tongs and wearing Marigolds!!!!!

It was served with the onions, well salted and black peppered. Large chunks of bread liberally spread with butter accompanied it. Gallons of milky tea finished off the meal. 

Dad had to eat it sat by himself!!!!

34 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Grilled tomatoes, yes.  You might like them.  The contents of a Full English vary a bit:  sausage (or blood pudding), bacon, eggs, mushrooms, kidneys (yuck), fried bread, sometimes baked beans.  You need a big plate.

@Gobsmacked you may need to translate Marigolds.

Tripe and onions is as disgusting as liver and onions.  I don't do offal. Obviously.

Love offal - liver with bacon, onions, mashed potatoes and really thick gravy may be one of my very favourite meals! And as a child, we of course ate steak and kidney pie - the kidney makes the gravy very rich....

But we also ate stuffed hearts.

And I'm with @Gobsmacked - tripe is disgusting, almost as bad as jellied eels......:puke-front:

@Palimpsest More like Malva pudding (sorry, blanking on the British equivalent), I want to say Sticky Toffee, but know that's wrong since it's too dense. If you've seen the show, they use syringes to inject the cakes post oven, I'll ask him which ones he means. It's a chocolate chip cookie bake day over here, his sister is having a rough beginning of college so care package time.

This probably isn't the thread for it, but is anyone familiar with hospitality customs in India? He'll be going for work and has been invited over to a close colleague's house to meet the rest of his family and eat dinner. I'd like to send him along with a nice hostess gift! His wife was very sweet to me when we both tagged along on their Hawaii trip and is disappointed I'm not accompanying him. We've ruled out unnecessary 20 hour flights for me while pregnant, but I'm not a missionary so there's that.

@cascarones - got you and I'm blanking on the name too.

Gifts for Indian people.  Obviously avoid anything that would offend religious beliefs - do you know if they are Hindu, Muslim, or something else.  Nothing too ostentatious for a business colleague.  

American candy or flowers - except for frangipani (plumeria) because that is for funerals - are safe. Alcohol is a no no unless you know they drink it.  And no beef jerky (that's a Shrader joke) for a Hindu!

If you want to go in a household item direction, no leather or animal designs (especially pigs or dogs).

I'm sure they will enjoy whatever you send. 

8 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

As a northerner I've never had biscuits and gravy :mindblowing:

Whuuuuuuhhhhhhhttttttt? LawdHammercy. Life without biscuits & gravy (at least once) is so disappointing. Now that I can't have gluten, I'm missing out on biscuits & gravy. It's one of those foods I would want once or twice a year. So sad now.... 

1 hour ago, cascarones said:

This probably isn't the thread for it, but is anyone familiar with hospitality customs in India? He'll be going for work and has been invited over to a close colleague's house to meet the rest of his family and eat dinner. I'd like to send him along with a nice hostess gift! His wife was very sweet to me when we both tagged along on their Hawaii trip and is disappointed I'm not accompanying him. We've ruled out unnecessary 20 hour flights for me while pregnant, but I'm not a missionary so there's that.

If they have kids, something for them would be a nice gesture. My husband is Indian and his friends and family ALWAYS bring trinkets or coloring books for the kids and some kind of dessert for the family. Matchbox cars, sunglasses, t-shirts, and candy are fun. If you don't know the religion of the host, bring along a Packaged vegan sweet, just to be safe. When my husband goes to India he takes a suitcase full of dollar store toys and candy so he always has something to take if he's invited to a home. 

I had never had biscuits and gravy (though I'd heard of it) until I received Chrissy Teigan's cook book for my birthday last year. It was the first recipe I made from the book and omg....game changed! So yummy. I make it every couple of months now because it's so good!

The cook book itself is pretty great- she's really funny and all the recipes I've tried have been delicious! 

I don't like gravy but made it for my husband when we were first married. It was so bad he called it America's newest secret weapon! I have not made it since.

6 hours ago, cascarones said:

We've been watching the Great British Bake Off and mr. cascarones keeps exclaiming he's never eaten that and giving me puppy dog eyes, when I explain that yes he has, but yes, I will make it for him. He in turn discovered a lovely South African tea joint near us that has all savory pies his heart could desire, all the tea and sweet scones and pudding mine could. Another confusion is the concept of British puddings (sponge cake with flavor injected to form the custard at the bottom) and Southern US poke cake.

And good Rooibos?

Those biscuits with that hot dog or weinie gravy,sorry it looks disgusting.I am not a fan of Spam,Treet,and Potted meat.That's what it reminds me of.

20 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

And good Rooibos?

Such good Rooibos! They even have little signs on the tables reminding you to enjoy your tea, so if you're going to work to limit to an hour. As someone who appreciates the soothing of a good cuppa, it's nice, and as a freelancer I appreciate it too so I don't wear my spots out as quickly.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived