IGNORED

Dillards 33: Now Including Samuel

Coconut Flan

So, Derelict has removed the "40 hours of labor" from his Instagram post and apparently also went on a deleting spree. What to make of this? I know I am now a bit suspicious. 

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, marmalade said:

So, Derelict has removed the "40 hours of labor" from his Instagram post and apparently also went on a deleting spree. What to make of this? I know I am now a bit suspicious. 

Clearly, TLC is cutting down the hours of labour because they know how irresponsible Jill was. :P I have no idea. Who knows why Dirty Jesus does what he does? 

25 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Is it just me or is it weird he is not wrapped up?  In all of the photos of LO's birth post actually being born he is covered up (blanket over him on my chest, inside DH's shirt on his chest, swaddled in my parents arms . . . )

NICU is always kept very warm. Samuel is under a lamp possibly for/to prevent jaundice. Also he has monitors on his ankles and an IV in his arm. He will very probably be going into an incubator as soon as the doctors have done their stuff. Most NICU babies don't get wrapped unless they won't settle with out. Monitoring the baby's skin colour is important. Low oxygen levels can cause baby skin to take on bluish colour. Keeping the baby warm but in nappy only allows the staff to observe baby quickly.

1 minute ago, Gobsmacked said:

NICU is always kept very warm. Samuel is under a lamp possibly for/to prevent jaundice. Also he has monitors on his ankles and an IV in his arm. He will very probably be going into an incubator as soon as the doctors have done their stuff. Most NICU babies don't get wrapped unless they won't settle with out. Monitoring the baby's skin colour is important. Low oxygen levels can cause baby skin to take on bluish colour. Keeping the baby warm but in nappy only allows the staff to observe baby quickly.

Thank you, that was super informative!  I've always found hospitals super cold, so its good to know there is an area (I've never been allowed in thank G-d) where it makes sense to assume the patients are warm.  

21 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Yeah Jill, get your butt out of your hospital bed and put a hat and blanket on Samuel. My god, the criticism they both get for just being Jill and Derick!

This made me laugh. 

My kids were never wrapped up because they needed to be under bilirubin lamps. 

I don't think anything is seriously wrong otherwise TLC would probably shut it down and not let Derelict do PR. I think he just has no common sense that he is in the spotlight. While that was a perfectly fine first photo to send to family or to post to personal social media, it's not a photo for people making a living in he spotlight and require management of their image/brand. Particularly a brand that is all about family/babies. He should know by now to be careful and consult for every post. Jessa has it figured out.

12 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Clearly, TLC is cutting down the hours of labour because they know how irresponsible Jill was. :P I have no idea. Who knows why Dirty Jesus does what he does? 

I have a feeling it's nothing.  Jill and Derick have shown they are absolute crap at marketing themselves or making themselves likable.  Unlike Jessa (especially) and Ben, they really don't seem to have a sense about what will be received well and make them look good...and what is going to get criticized.  They probably put up the blurb about 40 hours of labor thinking it would explain the C section or garner public sympathy or create interest for the show, but in reality it just lead to more criticism around their irresponsibility.  They just don't get it.  

24 minutes ago, marmalade said:

He also took the 'property of Dillard family, must have written permission to use' watermark off the photo. I guess he realised it was posted all over the Internet and he'd given written permission to exactly 0 people to use it :D

4 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

My daughter and the other babies near here in NICU were all kept wrapped up while in their isolettes. The only time she wasn't was when a medical professional was examining her, we were caring for her, or the night she was put under lights in a NICU isolette to treat a bit of jaundice. It's likely different for preemies born earlier than my daughter (I'm thinking younger than 32 weeks). I'm guessing that's partly for the reason you explained and partly because preemie sized clothing is too big for some of them to wear.

(Gave birth last December to a 5 pound, 34 week preemie. I looked through her baby book quick to be sure I was remembering right.)

And I'm pretty sure we don't actually know that Samuel is in NICU or not. Its a possibility, but last I knew there were no further updates. I honestly hope he isn't as NICU can be a scary experience for a lot of parents.

I also didn't find NICU to be warm, but that's likely because I was suffering constant panic attacks at that point in time. I was constantly shivering and freezing, even when bundled up in a sweatshirt and big comforters. Only time I felt all again was when I was cuddling my baby.

Considered how many women on FJ still suffer from birth trauma and wish their births had gone differently, it is surprising how much shaming is going on HERE when it comes to Jill's SUPPOSED feelings of failure about another c-sec, or her wish of having an easy, vaginal birth. 

WHAT WOMAN IN THIS WORLD DOESN'T DESIRE AN EASY BIRTH? WHAT WOMAN ISN'T UNHAPPY ABOUT 40 FUCKING HOURS OF LABOR AND A TERRIBLY PAINFUL MAJOR ABDOMINAL EMERGENCY SURGERY PAIRED WITH LACK OF SLEEP&REST AND A FUCKING HURTFUL RECOVERY? 

Show me that woman and I'm gonna go worship at her feet. 

8 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Why haven't we seen Jill? Maybe something is wrong or maybe she wants quiet time with her family or maybe they're waiting for People magazine. Or maybe she just doesn't want to smile big and pose for pictures right now because she has other priorities. I really see no reason to be concerned or impatient right now. She just had major surgery for the second time in about three years. Give her a bit of time. :)

THIS.

Pregancy and labour, even in the best circumstances, is an emotional and often private thing for most women, many of us do not even want family around until we're good and ready, let alone pictures for the entire world to see. Given that Jill has now had two labours that probably didn't go as planned and could likely now impact her future childbearing/labour, it's completely understandable that she wouldn't want a camera shoved in her face.

I'm sure she's probably also got the additional stress of how the "birth episode" story will be told in a few weeks/months time, so that can't be easy. As a member of this fucked up family she's expected to make each of her births joyfully available to the cameras and the media, so I won't begrudge her a few private moments away from Instagram after a birth that has likely had significant emotional impact on her.

Jill at this point ( at least at picture time) literally cannot move the lower half of her body and that's if she only had an epidural.  She could've gone under general for all we know.

I has c-sections and it's so freaky!  To not be able to move or care for baby.  It scared me.  Major yoga breaths helped keep me calm.  And my babies were not hooked up to anything.  I do feel for her.  I understand. 

9 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

My daughter and the other babies near here in NICU were all kept wrapped up while in their isolettes. The only time she wasn't was when a medical professional was examining her, we were caring for her, or the night she was put under lights in a NICU isolette to treat a bit of jaundice. It's likely different for preemies born earlier than my daughter (I'm thinking younger than 32 weeks). I'm guessing that's partly for the reason you explained and partly because preemie sized clothing is too big for some of them to wear.

(Gave birth last December to a 5 pound, 34 week preemie. I looked through her baby book quick to be sure I was remembering right.)

And I'm pretty sure we don't actually know that Samuel is in NICU or not. Its a possibility, but last I knew there were no further updates. I honestly hope he isn't as NICU can be a scary experience for a lot of parents.

I also didn't find NICU to be warm, but that's likely because I was suffering constant panic attacks at that point in time. I was constantly shivering and freezing, even when bundled up in a sweatshirt and big comforters. Only time I felt all again was when I was cuddling my baby.

Yes, it's terrible under "normal" circumstances to give birth and have your baby outside your body but not able to touch it or nurse it.  It's traumatic.  I hope you feel better about all that soon.  It's PTSD.  I'm glad you are talking about it, it helps.  Hang in there mama. Much love.

48 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Is it just me or is it weird he is not wrapped up?  In all of the photos of LO's birth post actually being born he is covered up (blanket over him on my chest, inside DH's shirt on his chest, swaddled in my parents arms . . . )

Not weird to me. I think it's pretty obvious Samuel had only just been born recently since Derick was still dressed for the OR in the photo. They were likely just working on him a bit - getting IV placed, cleaning him up, attaching monitors, etc. You can't do all that easily if the baby is already bundled up. 

The fact that they stopped to take a photo at that point is a good sign to me. I highly doubt a Nurse would have stopped working to take a picture of Samuel if he were actually in really bad shape. I mean, my daughter was taken up to NICU within ten minutes of her birth - we still had time to hold her a few minutes and the Nurses were happy to take photos of her for us (from those first photos of her covered in gunk to a few nice ones of us holding her for the first time.) None of that would have happened if she was in true danger.

8 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Yes, it's terrible under "normal" circumstances to give birth and have your baby outside your body but not able to touch it or nurse it.  It's traumatic.  I hope you feel better about all that soon.  It's PTSD.  I'm glad you are talking about it, it helps.  Hang in there mama. Much love.

Aw thank you! I still get upset thinking about it. Our experience wasn't anywhere near as bad as many families - I didn't see her for fourteen hours after her birth because of my epidural, but it was just a week in NICU and we were able to hold her whenever (other than that night she got her "tan" on - the Nurses were very happy to have us snuggle her as long as we wanted.) It was horrible for me and for husband, but we're grateful because it could have been so much worse.  I have nothing but respect and love for other NICU families (regardless of their beliefs), especially the families of micropreemies.

Scottish NICU 20+ years ago. #1 wasn't preemie. 6lb and bang on time. His lungs were 'wet' skin needed observing to check oxygen levels quickly. He was dressed in onsie after his oxygen levels stabilised and he stayed a nice healthy pink colour. Babies say end up in NICU for a variety of reasons. That is possibly why velaciobaby was dressed. Preemie babies would need to be kept warm as their own temperature gauges possibly don't work properly.

If Derick is randomly deleting/scrubbing/changing things around, that to me would suggest that they're getting ready to put out more photos and/or a more detailed announcement. But that would just be my inkling. I've long given up trying to understand the vast majority of what the Dillards do.

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

apparently also went on a deleting spree.

I've never understood this. With screen shots being so ubiquitous.... Seriously.

@VelociRapture.  The hardest part of all that is nothing can prepare a new mother for the flood of maternal instincts that come instantly.   You just know what to do and you want to do it but cannot for varying reasons.  Those instincts are hard to shove down but you have no choice.  What you feel is so normal because normal did not happen.  You may have suffered personally but you mom'ed up!  Did what you had to do and that is parenting in a nutshell.  All that could serve you well in the future with your daughter, you just got stronger!  

32 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Scottish NICU 20+ years ago. #1 wasn't preemie. 6lb and bang on time. His lungs were 'wet' skin needed observing to check oxygen levels quickly. He was dressed in onsie after his oxygen levels stabilised and he stayed a nice healthy pink colour. Babies say end up in NICU for a variety of reasons. That is possibly why velaciobaby was dressed. Preemie babies would need to be kept warm as their own temperature gauges possibly don't work properly.

My Son wasn't in the NICU but was re-hospitalized in the PICU shortly after we were released from the hospital.

I couldn't swaddle (wrap him up) until they verified he was stable for awhile (they wanted quick access to him) and they showed me how to swaddle while keeping the wires/IVs working properly.

Its definitely possible Sam was "okay" for this photo but they had t had time to fully settle him after getting everything set up.

also, I was given a quick moment to hug my Son before they took him for a lumbar puncture. I could see him being stable enough for a quick photo but they were not done working on him all together

3 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

The picture rubbed me the wrong way as well. The poor baby looks so distressed and Derick's big stupid face is being stupid. I don't think that would be the very first picture I would share with the world.

Sorry I think this though train is just BEC.  This is a photo of a father & his newborn child, nothing more nothing less. 

My oldest was in the nicu and he was almost never wrapped up. He just had too many IVs and monitors at first. I feel like they were probably just finishing up baby Sam's exam and they got a quick picture. 

I feel for Jill. Birth trauma is real and so hard to overcome. If she is suffering from birth trauma and PPA/PPD like I suspect she was after Izzy then my heart breaks for her. Nobody deserves that. And we all know she won't get any real counseling for it, if any at all. I'll be so pissed if Dildick drags her back to CA before this kid turns one. He needs to get a job, let Jill heal, they need to get established as a family and just take a damn chill pill. I'm not a dr but Jill changed after she had Izzy. The light in her eyes is gone. 

3 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Yeah Jill, get your butt out of your hospital bed and put a hat and blanket on Samuel. My god, the criticism they both get for just being Jill and Derick!

That baby is obviously not under Jill or Derick's direct care, as evidenced by the fact he's hooked up to several machines.  My guess is that the nurses didn't think he needed one, or they put one right back on him as soon as his idiot father was done taking pics. 

Sick babies are generally not dressed, especially when they are newly born. You have to watch their breathing and color, as well and manually control their temperatures with overhead heating.

He's under a warmer light.  We call them the chicken lights because when you have to work under them during peds surgery you feel like a chicken leg being kept warm at KFC.  Not only are the lights warming devices but the oxygen and IV fluids are most likely heated as well.  Babies can't shiver like adults.  They stay warm through a process of brown fat metabolism and loose heat very quickly.  Keeping a neonate warm is of  great importance and I'm sure he's being warmed in he picture.  That OR could be 50 degrees but it's 98 and sunny under that light.

17 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

That baby is obviously not under Jill or Derick's direct care, as evidenced by the fact he's hooked up to several machines.  My guess is that the nurses didn't think he needed one, or they put one right back on him as soon as his idiot father was done taking pics. 

The baby needs extra care.  It is a good sign that there was picture time.  If the shit was hitting the fan, we'd not see a pic.  Of course they took one.  I can't fault him for that.  It's a birth for crying out loud!  The staff would never allow medical treatment to be interrupted for a pic if the baby was in danger.  They are not at home.  

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived