IGNORED

Dillards 33: Now Including Samuel

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Beermeet said:

The baby needs extra care.  It is a good sign that there was picture time.  If the shit was hitting the fan, we'd not see a pic.  Of course they took one.  I can't fault him for that.  It's a birth for crying out loud!  The staff would never allow medical treatment to be interrupted for a pic if the baby was in danger.  They are not at home.  

If at all possible a picture is taken so that the father can take it to show the mother. Jill will have been still groggy from anaesthetic or numb from an epidural. She will have an IV in situ also a catheter. She will have been bed bound for a number of hours. Seeing a picture of the baby really helps lower mothers stress levels and recovery. Seeing Sammy crying would have been a positive for Jill as he is obviously pink,alive and breathing. 

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/9/2017 at 0:54 PM, SilverBeach said:

I have read that giant babies may sometimes be the result of gestational diabetes. 

I weighed 10# 14 oz. Gestational diabetes wasn't a thing back then, but my mother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes around age 52-54.

21 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

If at all possible a picture is taken so that the father can take it to show the mother. Jill will have been still groggy from anaesthetic or numb from an epidural. She will have an IV in situ also a catheter. She will have been bed bound for a number of hours. Seeing a picture of the baby really helps lower mothers stress levels and recovery. Seeing Sammy crying would have been a positive for Jill as he is obviously pink,alive and breathing. 

PREACH!  While I was in recovery,  my husband ck'd on me, I gave him a kiss and said "I'm fine hunny, please just be with our baby as I can't ".  He happily agreed even though he wanted to be with both of us.  He watched our baby like a hawk and I fell in love all over again! 

I've been to two endocrinologists since I was diagnosed with type 2 around age 54 and they both told me that GD means you will get Type 2 with very few exceptions.  

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I've been to two endocrinologists since I was diagnosed with type 2 around age 54 and they both told me that GD means you will get Type 2 with very few exceptions.  

Hmm, I looked that up and found otherwise. From wikipedia, citing several studies:

One of the longest studies followed a group of women from Boston, Massachusetts; half of them developed diabetes after 6 years, and more than 70% had diabetes after 28 years. In a retrospective study in Navajo women, the risk of diabetes after GDM was estimated to be 50 to 70% after 11 years. Another study found a risk of diabetes after GDM of more than 25% after 15 years.

70% is very, very high, but it isn't 100%.

Is gestational diabetes a fairly recent diagnosis? Or just significantly more common that 25 years ago?

I've always thought that maybe my mom had undiagnosed G.D. My siblings and I were all around ten pounds at birth. My sister and I have had babies from 4-7 pounds (all full term).

I had Gestational Diabetes with both of my pregnancies. When I got pregnant with my first I only weighed about 100 lbs and I was over 9lbs when I was born so I was a nervous wreck as to how big they would be .....my first ended up being 6-12 and my second was 6-6....I definitely did not follow the rule of GD = large child.

No announcement or spot on CO? No congrats videos from Jessa/Ben/Joy/Austin? Not a word on how Jill is doing? I'd almost expect a "we're happy, healthy, and spending some getting to know baby Sam, an update will be along soon" kind of thing after this long. Dwreck scrubbing the info? (Tell me somebody screenshoted it?)  Michelle's two posts on DFO over the last 2 days that aren't her gushing over her new grandson? 

Either they have an exclusive deal with People or something isn't right. I don't buy the idea of just trying to rest/recover/wanting privacy.  It's the Duggars, they're never THIS quiet 

7 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Is it just me or is it weird he is not wrapped up?  In all of the photos of LO's birth post actually being born he is covered up (blanket over him on my chest, inside DH's shirt on his chest, swaddled in my parents arms . . . )

My daughter couldn't keep her temperature up for a few hours after birth, so they just put her in a diaper in the warmer. She was warmer that way than in clothes and a blanket. 

Babies born to moms with GD also have a higher risk of developing Type II diabetes later in life. 

I think there may be ethnic or cultural risk factors among certain populations for GD.  I know when I worked in the OB  it seemed more common in women from India.  I have no idea if women who live in India have a higher risk in general, or if somehow living in the USA puts Indian women at higher risk.  

When I got it,  I was actually thin and eating quite well.  Oddly with my second, I was less careful with my diet and I never developed it.  So I am not really sure why some get it and some don't.  I used to know the risk factors, but my brain is rusty.

So far, in my 50's, I still haven't developed Type II DM, but I sort of feel like it will happen as it runs in the family.  So with my history of GD and family tendency for Diabetes, it seems unlikely I will escape it, unless something else kills me off before it shows off.  I generally eat healthy, but could benefit from more exercise.  My weight is maybe 5 pounds over what is the healthy range for me.  So I am hoping to hold it off as long as possible.

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Sorry I think this though train is just BEC.  This is a photo of a father & his newborn child, nothing more nothing less. 

I don't think there's a single thing wrong with them taking the picture, having it, or even eventually sharing it with the world. It DOES seem odd to me for it to be the only picture you share with the public for the first X days, when your livelihood/identity is basically "appealing to the public". The fact that they felt it was an appropriate choice doesn't say anything about their fitness as parents or anything. It just says they're bad at their jobs. (But that's hardly news.)

I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but @Buzzard's recap mentioned Derelicte (my balls) talking about the significance of the el ending of his children's names. Funny enough I was actually noticing that today, and wondering if all their kids will have names ending in el: Israel, Samuel, Daniel, Emmanuel, Rachel, Muriel, Nathaniel, Ariel...

My sister had her baby yesterday - 7.0something pounds and he looks so tiny compared to Samuel!

Congratulations to your sister & family!

6 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Omfg they just uploaded a congratulations video from Josh and Anna :wtsf:

Where?  I dont see it on the fb page.

11 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Omfg they just uploaded a congratulations video from Josh and Anna :wtsf:

I just threw up all over my keyboard from this news. Bad Josh! Back in your cage! :puke-left:

5 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but @Buzzard's recap mentioned Derelicte (my balls) talking about the significance of the el ending of his children's names. Funny enough I was actually noticing that today, and wondering if all their kids will have names ending in el: Israel, Samuel, Daniel, Emmanuel, Rachel, Muriel, Nathaniel, Ariel...

Poor Jill. If it's true that Derrick wants all his children's names to end in "el" then Jill will never get to name a daughter Selah, although maybe he'd make an exception since the "el" is still in the name.

14 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

there's also one from jb and Michelle 

"Number Eight Grandbaby! Going on 200!!!"

Direct quote from DQ.

29 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Where?  I dont see it on the fb page.

neither do I - thank god 

i don't see it either there 

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived