IGNORED

Michael and Brandon Keilen Part 3

Coconut Flan

Blood donations saved my sisters life on several occasions. I am not trying to guilt anyone into donating.  My oldest son and I do it regularly. The very idea of doing it freaks my husband and youngest son out. 

Just out of curiosity how much are Americans paid for donations ? I only ask because tv shows show it as a quick way to make some money. In Canada we are not paid but there are many commercials urging donations so I wonder if your country has a more stable supply.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have needed blood three times in my life, after a gall blatter surgery and after both my births. I am so grateful that people donate. For different reasons I cannot repay that favor myself but I have signed up as an organ donor upon my death as my own way of hoping to save a life when my own cannot continue anymore. My colleague was asked to go in and donate because of low supplies around the time of my daughter's birth and we are the same blood type so I sometimes imagine that I actually got his blood. It feels strange to think about it but good too since he is a nice guy.

59 minutes ago, Botkinetti said:

Just out of curiosity how much are Americans paid for donations ? I only ask because tv shows show it as a quick way to make some money. In Canada we are not paid but there are many commercials urging donations so I wonder if your country has a more stable supply.

We don't get paid for blood donations, usually. A lot of times places will offer a small perk (around here, it's usually either a slice of pizza and a drink, or a free movie ticket). However, you can get paid for donating plasma, but I'm not sure how much (a quick Google search says $20-$50 per donation, not sure how accurate that is though!) I've never donated plasma, but I used to donate blood a lot, particularly in college.

@VineHeart137Thank you for answering. I did google after I posted ( yes I realize I should have done it before ) and the answers do seem all over the place. Shown so often on tv and movies as a fast way to get some cash it was just something I always wondered about.

@elliha I don't think it is strange to think about your coworkers blood. My sister said after receiving all her blood donations she silently thanked all the people who had gone out of their way to donate and ultimately help her. She like you cannot donate so it is the major reason I do. Strangers helped save her life. Needles don't bother me so it seems like the least I can do is donate to help other people's loved ones.

1 hour ago, elliha said:

I have needed blood three times in my life, after a gall blatter surgery and after both my births. I am so grateful that people donate. For different reasons I cannot repay that favor myself but I have signed up as an organ donor upon my death as my own way of hoping to save a life when my own cannot continue anymore. My colleague was asked to go in and donate because of low supplies around the time of my daughter's birth and we are the same blood type so I sometimes imagine that I actually got his blood. It feels strange to think about it but good too since he is a nice guy.

I’ve been listed as an organ donor since I got my driver’s license at 17. It made sense to me because I’m not going to need my organs if I’m dead and it could help someone else out. 

Eight years ago my brother became a living donor to a teenager with an incurable disease from our hometown. He may ultimately end up needing another transplant at some point, but my brother’s choice to donate has given this young man and his family eight years they wouldn’t have had otherwise. Now I’m a big advocate for organ donation and correcting misinformation that’s been spread about the process.

1 hour ago, Botkinetti said:

Blood donations saved my sisters life on several occasions. I am not trying to guilt anyone into donating.  My oldest son and I do it regularly. The very idea of doing it freaks my husband and youngest son out. 

You were already answered about the payments, but we usually don’t have a steady supply of blood in many parts of the states. I see a lot of ads for donating and I still receive emails from the Red Cross. I feel bad not donating, but there’s not much I can do about it right now. My mom makes a point of donating though since she’s O-. Her blood can be used by pretty much everyone. 

@VelociRapture please don't feel badly about not donating right now. When I am thanked for donating I always feel slightly embarrassed as it is easy for me. I have the time to do it. Needles don't bother me and I never feel shaky or uncomfortable afterwards. Other people do so much more than me in terms of helping that I sometimes feel I take the easy way out.

I am O+ and donate regularly, 3-4 times a year. I agree with @Botkinetti- its such an easy way for me to help out. I work on a university campus with a donation center, have a flexible work schedule, and, when I'm healthy, giving blood is physically easy for me. It's a low-effort way for me to help out. (Bonus- it's actually a continual reminder for me to treat my body well. I am a few years removed from an eating disorder during which I fainted while trying to donate blood. That I can donate now with no effect shows me how far I've come.)

However, I get called frequently by the Red Cross and the calls annoy me. I plan my blood donations around my running/race schedule, because while I feel great during everyday life after donation, it definitely affects my training. I need to tell the Red Cross that I will continue to donate, but please stop calling me!!!!

19 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

I am O+ and donate regularly, 3-4 times a year. I agree with @Botkinetti- its such an easy way for me to help out. I work on a university campus with a donation center, have a flexible work schedule, and, when I'm healthy, giving blood is physically easy for me. It's a low-effort way for me to help out. (Bonus- it's actually a continual reminder for me to treat my body well. I am a few years removed from an eating disorder during which I fainted while trying to donate blood. That I can donate now with no effect shows me how far I've come.)

However, I get called frequently by the Red Cross and the calls annoy me. I plan my blood donations around my running/race schedule, because while I feel great during everyday life after donation, it definitely affects my training. I need to tell the Red Cross that I will continue to donate, but please stop calling me!!!!

You can opt out of the calls. 

http://www.redcross.org/privacy-policy

I had to a few years ago when they were like a crazy stalker ex-boyfriend. I'm O+ as well and apparently test negative for particular flu antibodies that 85% of adults have, so my blood can be donated to fragile preemies. I still donate regularly, just am not bombarded with weird nighttime phone calls.

I haven't donated blood yet but it's something I'm considering doing, I have been on the organ donor register since I was 17, two family friends growing up had transplants, one multiple kidney transplants until he sadly passed away three years ago and one a liver transplant that cured him of Hepatitis C. I was always weary of needles and that put me off donating but yesterday my young nephew fell down his friends stairs and snapped his arm in half and needed an operation, that got me thinking about how his injuries could have been worse and he could have needed blood donation. I definitely will do it next time they are in my area.

O- here.I have not donated in awhile.I have tiny veins and they roll and collapse.Sometimes,I am lucky,and they get a good vein,other times..they end up sticking me several times.

On 10/24/2017 at 5:27 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I don’t think Trump’s hair is a wig. Maybe a hideously expensive weave.

I'm almost positive he had bad plugs done way back in the 80s and he combs his hair forward like that to cover the bad plug job. Plugs are hair transplanted from other areas of your body. It's probably his back hair :-/

On 11/4/2017 at 6:53 AM, elliha said:

I'm not eligible to donate blood (to Red Cross) since I lived in Europe before rules about feeding protein from animals to cow went into affect (Mad Cow). I've always signed my organ donor card but I wonder if they'll still take my organs? You could test my dead brain for Mad Cow but probably not get results in time to still be able to use my organs. Is organ donation less strict?

4 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I'm not eligible to donate blood (to Red Cross) since I lived in Europe before rules about feeding protein from animals to cow went into affect (Mad Cow). I've always signed my organ donor card but I wonder if they'll still take my organs? You could test my dead brain for Mad Cow but probably not get results in time to still be able to use my organs. Is organ donation less strict?

I don't know. I am in Europe so we can obviously donate blood otherwise there would not be any blood. With organ donations in my country you can choose if you donate to research or just for humans to receive the organ or both. The research option can be used sometimes when your organs cannot be used for donations. I would guess that the risk of getting mad cow from organs that are not the brain or the spinal cord would be low so there might be a chance you can donate anyway. 

My reason for not being able to donate is for personal health reasons.

5 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Here’s a link that may help:

https://www.organdonor.gov/about/facts-terms/donation-faqs.html

As far as I know, whether you can donate or not is determined after your death. They’ll run tests to be sure your organs are healthy enough to be transplanted. I believe there are only a few conditions that would bar a transplant from happening (like cancer or HIV), but I don’t know if Mad Cow’s would be included in that or not. Even then, you can still donate certain organs or tissues if they aren’t affected by the disease (like donating your kidneys if you had lung cancer.)

Best bet would be to register anyways and let Doctors decide when the time comes (hopefully not for a very, very long time.) I’d also inform your next of kin about what you’d like done if they won’t accept your organs for donation as well. 

8 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

If it turns out you are not able to donate organs, you can maybe talk to your relatives about donating your body for research or for medical students to use.

I'm not eligible to donate blood because of medication I am on but I've had two blood transfusions so THANK YOU to everyone who regularly donates! 

21 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Red Cross rules are stricter (some say too strict) about this than some other blood donor places. For example, I have many friends & family here in the DC area that can't donate blood to Red Cross because they've spent too much time overseas, but they can donate elsewhere, like to the Inova Hospitals system.

14 hours ago, Ali said:

If it turns out you are not able to donate organs, you can maybe talk to your relatives about donating your body for research or for medical students to use.

I've actually been involved in that program on the receiving side so I know I'm too heavy. :exercise:

It only takes a few minutes to provide your info and a few seconds once you get your swab kit in the mail. And Boom! you're on the list for the bone marrow registry. The chance to actually donate is about 1 in 430, but any chance to save a life would be worth it.

My mom let me donate blood in high school (I started at 16) but I always wanted to sign up to donate bone marrow too (I have cousins who have sickle cell anemia and that's one way that has helped cure it in a sense) but it just made her very nervous. Glad college came cause I finally got to register two-ish years ago!

I just need to sign up to be an organ donor (have no idea why I wasn't originally). We had a gift to life coordinator talk to us and it's just so very necessary for all of us who are able to.

I've had two transfusions and I have donated blood in the past. The last time was painful, they had a hard time getting a vein. So it put me off a little. 

10 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

My mom let me donate blood in high school (I started at 16) but I always wanted to sign up to donate bone marrow too (I have cousins who have sickle cell anemia and that's one way that has helped cure it in a sense) but it just made her very nervous. Glad college came cause I finally got to register two-ish years ago!

I just need to sign up to be an organ donor (have no idea why I wasn't originally). We had a gift to life coordinator talk to us and it's just so very necessary for all of us who are able to.

I found it really wasn't that bad! My back was a little sore for a few days, but otherwise, it was easy peasy, totally willing to do it again.

This is 15 minutes away from where I live and about a minute away from the former IBLP headquarters. It’s so strange that all of this fundiness was based in a very normal, non-fundy, suburban Chicago area. Thanks Bill G. I can’t believe there are many followers around here, but there are many conservative Christians so who knows. It made a lot of sense to move the headquarters to Texas though when Gothard was ousted.

11EE7710-3710-4395-9E41-452A5E2A9E75.jpeg

I know that Michael's fertility issues have been discussed ad nauseum but I really feel for her right now because two of her sisters are preggo.

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived