IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Getting Married is Too Much Work!

choralcrusader8613

33 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

You're welcome! It's a really great charity to work with. They help military Brides/military fiancées find nice dresses. Made me really happy that my dress would be able to help another couple make some beautiful memories.

Fpr anyone interested, here's the website: http://bridesacrossamerica.com/

Here is another good place to send old wedding gowns, especially older out of style gowns that won't work for today's brides. Angel gowns, they take old wedding dresses and turn them into burial outfits for, usually premature babies that didn't survive. It's a horrible thing to think of and even worse to live, but something sadly that is necessary.    https://stillremembered.org/angelgowns/ 

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I pick this dress for Joy:

7_M542F.jpg

It's youthful, not *too* fancy, and could pair well with cowboy boots if that's what she wants to wear. 

I could see Joy wearing something kind of like this:

joywedding.png.fd09114c0afde29927233cf615d492a9.png

Fairly light and flowy with short sleeves because it will probably be summer weather when she gets married (no way are they waiting till October). I think she'll keep it pretty simple, and I could see her feeling pressured and just wanting to choose something that's fine and get it over with, even if it doesn't fit quite right or it's not quite 'her'. I think she'll stay pretty traditional and keep it very modest, because so far her approach to courtship has seemed the most traditionally fundie of all of her sisters, and Austin seems the most traditionally fundie of all the spouses.

But I could be totally wrong. Maybe she'll walk down the aisle in a tea-length 50's inspired polka dot dress, rocking a pair of neon green converse and wearing a flower crown.

for some reason I could totally see Joy in something like this! simple, not bright-white, with a bit higher waistline. Maybe with just a soft chiffon skirt instead of the lace and satin. 

I do love seeing all the weddings of the Duggars (just not dragged out over 6 episodes of counting on...) because it's a rare chance to see each of the girls' unique style/personality come through a bit. especially in the dresses :D i mean think about it, their wedding dress is probably the first item of clothing in their lives that they don't have to share haha

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 11.26.24 AM.png

My wedding dress hot take: the sleeves on Jinger's dress looked awesome, but the crew neck collar did not. If the dress' neckline was made of the same sheer/lace applique stuff as the sleeves (a la Kate Middleton's bodice), or if the neckline was lower, it would have worked better. Kim K had a similar collar and sleeve thing going on with her second wedding dress, and it looked blah there too.

The picture of Anna's dress here is a particularly bad angle. If you google search, other photos have it appear to fit far better. I do actually like that dress because it is classic though the neckline is far too high. It would have been nice to see more of a boat neck like Jessa/Jinger but 10 years ago the manner of dress for the cult was far less on trend.

Jill's dress managed to look matronly and make her look boxy, of which neither are true... Jessa's was very nice in comparison.

My favorite dress would be Jingers. I love this silhouette if you have to do a high neckline and sleeves of some sort. It is actually much more flattering than cap sleeves or sort-of-sleeveless like Jill. It also fit well instead of leaving room in the bodice like all of the other dresses (the Bates' girls dresses also seem to leave room).

And Amy's boobs, woah. I don't think wedding dresses need to be modest but I wouldn't want my boobs to be the first thing people noticed about me at my wedding (though that's virtually impossible in my case anyway).

1 hour ago, jqlgoblue said:

The picture of Anna's dress here is a particularly bad angle. If you google search, other photos have it appear to fit far better. I do actually like that dress because it is classic though the neckline is far too high. It would have been nice to see more of a boat neck like Jessa/Jinger but 10 years ago the manner of dress for the cult was far less on trend.

Sorry! I was looking for photos with similar angles for the comparison. Here are two better photos:

IMG_5614.thumb.JPG.3ee8b47a1cfa0fc50c58f4a7b12f96e7.JPG

I paired the two of Anna with two of her sister, Priscilla (on the right.) Still not the best views, but I tried.

16 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Sorry! I was looking for photos with similar angles for the comparison. Here are two better photos:

IMG_5614.thumb.JPG.3ee8b47a1cfa0fc50c58f4a7b12f96e7.JPG

I paired the two of Anna with two of her sister, Priscilla (on the right.) Still not the best views, but I tried.

I thought these were all of Anna at first! 

8 hours ago, Casserole said:

I think I pick this dress for Joy:

7_M542F.jpg

It's youthful, not *too* fancy, and could pair well with cowboy boots if that's what she wants to wear. 

Ooh I like that dress. It's looks very comfortable and would look good on Joy.

On 4/29/2017 at 0:08 AM, Jinder Roles said:

If I recall, Anna (and her sisters) sewed her wedding dress. She borrowed the design of the bridesmaid dresses from her sister, but those were made too. 

Anna's bridesmaid dresses sure beat those "lets get Jana to made them modest' dresses the Duggar girls had.   The bridesmaid dresses were simple and attractive

Jinger's weren't bad, except for some of the color choices (I don't find browns to be attractive for formal dresses)

9 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

This is my pick for Joy: something young, poofy and fun but not as lacy/girly as what her sisters wore:

TB7698-1000x1320.thumb.jpg.4bf18ac83d78f2118834ff377622263c.jpg

Too Jessa -ish

On 4/28/2017 at 6:44 PM, VelociRapture said:

Best I could do.

IMG_5562.thumb.JPG.662d946f85715198b53e0907b7ad03da.JPG

I believe Anna borrowed her dress from her sister, which is why it may not have fit exactly right. I still think she looked lovely though - ridiculously young looking though! Talk about baby face! Lol!

My ranking:

1. Jessa- Loved her dress! I love the blush color and design of it. It looked comfortable to wear. I also loved how her hair was done. As someone with 2 feet of hair, I loved the overall look.

2. Jinger- Also liked the design of her dress. I really liked her hair also. It was perfect for her face and the overall look. Side note- her bridesmaids dresses were the best! I would've only picked 5 colors, instead of 10 but that's just me.

3. Jill- Her dress was nice but as others pointed out, wasn't well fitted. 

4. Amy- Her dress was ok. It was too plain for me and definitely was doing too much for me in the cleavage area. I would be paranoid about my boobs popping out the whole time.

5. Anna- Her dress was just too bland and boring for me. I need some type of bling. Not feeling the T-shirt dress.

Looking at those photos reminded me of something I've been curious about for a while: can Anna's hair not get long? I believe that's a genetic thing, which would make sense since none of the women in her family (to my knowledge) have ever sported the back-skimming, Gothard-approved ringlets. Bear in mind they could have a different set of standards, but I still thought it was unusual.

Some people literally just cannot grow their hair past a certain length, or they can, but it turns thin and wispy so they just keep it short(er). I think Anna's hair is pretty normal, it just stands out next to the Duggar girls, who all seem to have been blessed with very thick, healthy, fast-growing hair.

If Joy wore a short dress, I could totally see her wearing something like this. So pretty! 

download (1).png

I'm not all that up on dress lingo, even after having a wedding dress made, but I'll do my best. All the Duggar girls basically did a traditional A-line dress, right? I think Joy would look nice with a dropped waist A-line, but not too poofy, like Jessa's. A princess dress is not what I imagine for Joy. I think simple white without as much lace or as large a train as Jinger had would be more her style. But I still hope she doesn't do t-shirt dress style, and does something a little bit more... individual. I feel like Joy has always hung back a little and is more shy than her older sisters. I hope on a day that in her world is one where she has more agency to do things her way instead of her father's, she let's herself feel beautiful and express her own aesthetic. If that is a t-shirt dress, so be it, but I think she'd look lovely in a more formal bodice- something simple and classic.

She's just so young, which I think is why she is adhering so closely to the super fundie courtship model. I hope that she and Austin find their way to a loving and respectful partnership even if they never leave the cult. I may be naive but I like to hope that even in the patriarchal fundie world, some marriages are still relatively happy. (Not to suggest that the women are thereby fulfilled and everything is fine, despite their oppression). In every culture, even marginalized people find ways to be happy some of the time, without that nullifying the inequity. One of the most vibrant and alive places I've ever been are slums around Nairobi, Kenya.

I'm on a tangent here but it just strikes me as a tension in the discussions, about whether the girls can be happy in their lives even as they live with gender inequality. Maybe it's like Maslow's hierarchy, where they can be happy in their relationships with family and friends but not in their need for self-actualization?

16 hours ago, melon said:

Yes, Esther wore the same dress that Anna did.

I liked JInger's dress the most of all.

I like Michael Bates Keilen's dress ,too.

No, it was Rebekah's dress, not Esther's. Whoever's it was before Anna, I still disliked it. Jill's and Erin Paine's are also down there in "LOOK AT HOW MODEST I AM!!!111" land. Disliked them all. 

It is pretty much never successful altering a strapless dress to have not only a top above the bust but also sleeves.  The cut and fit of the bust line is simply so different that there will always be that not quite fitting look.  I also thought Erin's dress was altered to fit too tightly in spots and it couldn't drape gracefully. 

I actually like all the duggar wedding dresses so far. I don't really like Anna's but it's not offensively ugly and she got married a long time ago...styles change and the duggars till had crunchy hair and frumpers that point, so it's hard to find too much fault with a simple short sleeved dress. Im betting joy will have something similar in style to Jessa but with less fluff. 

With all the "seamstresses" in the family why don't these girls MAKE their own wedding dresses?  A gal I went to HS did this, I was looking at her wedding pictures and complimented her dress and she said thanks I made it myself.  It would have to be cheaper to make a dress to your asinine modesty standards than to buy one and pay to have it altered.  Or in Anna's case save from having to wear your sisters ugly/plain ill fitting dress. Anna and her sisters made all the brides maids dresses why not add a wedding gown into to that? 

34 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

With all the "seamstresses" in the family why don't these girls MAKE their own wedding dresses?  A gal I went to HS did this, I was looking at her wedding pictures and complimented her dress and she said thanks I made it myself.  It would have to be cheaper to make a dress to your asinine modesty standards than to buy one and pay to have it altered.  Or in Anna's case save from having to wear your sisters ugly/plain ill fitting dress. Anna and her sisters made all the brides maids dresses why not add a wedding gown into to that? 

that would take too much time traipsing all over the place

modest-vintage-wedding-dress-1.jpg

I would also love to see Joy in something like this! classic/vintage-y and very natural looking. she could make the neckline a little higher, like Jinger's was, and it would still look so gorgeous on her. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived