IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Getting Married is Too Much Work!

choralcrusader8613

I favor Reitmans because I am shortwaisted and have short legs and breasts :D and Jones New York and Ralph Lauren 

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Express can be pricey for someone who is still growing (idk your budget) but it SAVED me at that age! Especially curvy cut jeans (THANK YOU RUFUS)

I'm barely 5'3 and pretty heavy. Best jeans I've found for fit, comfort and style are Old Navy.  Finding longer shirts that still look good is my battle.

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Snip

BUT many stores seem to think that Missy is for OLD MARRIED WOMEN (you know, over 30). She hates the looks and won't shop unless it's "Jennifer Lopez"

And then there's me.. in the PLUS sizes. I admit I'm a large woman, but isn't there some better name!

Snip

And then there is the fat women's selection that screams 60+ with ugly prints, polyester stretch pants and unshapely everything.  I know I'm fat, I don't need to accentuate it with unflattering clothing. I like to be covered and comfortable, I don't like prints as a general rule, I like subtle designs, but prints are like colors everyone is different. Depending on the season I wear everything from black to baby pink. 

Couple of years ago my size 16 (euro), so 'average' bod and myself were sent on a mystery shopping assignment to a particular branch of NEXT (sort of equivalent by the sounds of - key clientele the young and beautiful).

Approached a saleswoman and made the scripted enquiry and was met with "we don't cater for your sort of woman". ...now, internet making tone difficult to read, let me take you to the wheelhouse of it: 'OMG, where did the sun go? Get out of my shop you hag. How are you managing to roll your blimp form up our aisles without popping on the racks?!'

I confess - I never enjoyed writing up the report more.

8 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

And then there is the fat women's selection that screams 60+ with ugly prints, polyester stretch pants and unshapely everything. I know I'm fat, I don't need to accentuate it with unflattering clothing. I like to be covered and comfortable, I don't like prints as a general rule, I like subtle designs, but prints are like colors everyone is different. Depending on the season I wear everything from black to baby pink. 

You are absolutely right! I never understood why so many women who get older wear these ugly print shirts. I have nothing against older women who wear print shirts or print pants but WHY are these prints so ugly? Can't they produce something else (without letting the  costumers  pay a fortune for it) ? I remember my mum showed me her newest blouse a couple of years ago and I told her directly that only because she is now older than 50 there ist no need to wear this. It was a turqouise huge flower print blouse in polyester and it made her look older than she was. The thing was she agreed with me but she needed a new outfit for my cousin's communion and that was the best she got. I remember she found it hard to get new clothes after her menopause when nature added some extra layers of personality around her belly-button. But the clothes industry was not a great  no help. It must have changed because last week my mum showed me her new outfit for a wedding she is invited to and she looked gorgeous.:Yes:

10 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

And then there is the fat women's selection that screams 60+ with ugly prints, polyester stretch pants and unshapely everything.  I know I'm fat, I don't need to accentuate it with unflattering clothing. I like to be covered and comfortable, I don't like prints as a general rule, I like subtle designs, but prints are like colors everyone is different. Depending on the season I wear everything from black to baby pink. 

I AM 60+ and I don't want to wear that stuff, and neither did my mother!! And WHY is there no silk, no linen, no lovely fabrics for the larger woman? I SWEAT in polyester!

So when I can find a decent blouse that fits well in a cotton/poly or a linen (not very often!) I buy every color.

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I AM 60+ and I don't want to wear that stuff, and neither did my mother!! And WHY is there no silk, no linen, no lovely fabrics for the larger woman? I SWEAT in polyester!

So when I can find a decent blouse that fits well in a cotton/poly or a linen (not very often!) I buy every color.

I wish I could upvote this more! And EVERYBODY I know sweats in Polyester, why is this shit in clothes? Can't we do something else with our plastic bottles?

5 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I'm entering the neighborhood next-door to 50 and there are a lot of us in my age group that LIKE what some of the younger women are wearing, we just want our skirts, dresses, shorts & shirts a bit longer, and little roomier for a little extra around the middle after having a few kids and being sedentary for years at work.  I do like that we have stores like Lane Bryant and Torrid now but holy hell are they expensive. 

3 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I wish I could upvote this more! And EVERYBODY I know sweats in Polyester, why is this shit in clothes? Can't we do something else with our plastic bottles?

yeah, stop making them and force people to buy reusable bottles.  Ok so not really practical but in a perfect world. :) 

It's not that I LIKE Alyssa's Bridesmaid dresses... but I like that they're so bright. It makes me giggle to think about the Bates' funny little definition of "modesty." Like, no shoulders, cool, but WOW I CAN'T TAKE MY EYES AWAY. Funny.

I want to see Joy in a knee-length A-line at an outdoor wedding. That'd make me happy, and I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. Jessa's dress was not white, the couples always seem to hang out a lot on their wedding days... for all the obsession with (young, hetero, virginal, Christian) marriage, the Duggars are actually pretty good at calling out what wedding traditions are based in fashion and nothing more.

Limited Too got me a bit too obsessed with underwear when I was a tween in the early aughts! They had sparkly string bikinis, which got me begging my mom for thongs at a bit too young an age. I think this was before evening news started blowing up with fear regarding the sexualization of girls'/tweens' clothes. For me, the cute underwear hit me right in the hormones.

1 hour ago, NakedKnees said:

Limited Too got me a bit too obsessed with underwear when I was a tween in the early aughts! They had sparkly string bikinis, which got me begging my mom for thongs at a bit too young an age. I think this was before evening news started blowing up with fear regarding the sexualization of girls'/tweens' clothes. For me, the cute underwear hit me right in the hormones.

OH my god yes! All the Limited Too slander in this thread makes me sad. I LOVED that store and I'd still wear glitter-covered-anything if it was socially acceptable as an adult. YOLO 

Alas, I was poor and legit only got a purse from there once. 

I'm with @Shadoewolf -- Old Navy is one of my favorites!  It's not too expensive and seems to have a lot of versatile items, both of which I really appreciate.  I'm also a fan of Target for clothes in general, especially their dresses!

21 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

when nature added some extra layers of personality around her belly-button.

Perfect!

14 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

I had glittery underwear from Limited Too that said "A for Adorable" on the crotch bit. I was eleven when I got them, I think. Maybe a poor life choice, but whatever. Though I was much more a Hot Topic girl after age 12 or so; so many Happy Bunny/Emily the Strange t-shirts, bracelets up to my elbows, skull earrings, and checkered Vans (though I begged my mom to buy me Doc Martens; she refused but relented to the Vans because at least they were practical).

I'm trying not to buy too many clothes until my daughter is a year old - that way I have a better idea of what my shape will be long term. But I did buy a few looser fitting shirts at Burlington that are cute and super comfy. And I bought a pair of jeans at Kohls too - Lees relaxed fit straight leg. Still a bit snug at the button when I sit down, but they're almost as soft and comfortable as my maternity jeans. So I'm calling that a win for now. 

Best part is all the clothes can be dressed up or down depending on the shoes I wear. Except the NY Jets t-shirt I bought. There's no classing that up. :pb_lol: 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm trying not to buy too many clothes until my daughter is a year old - that way I have a better idea of what my shape will be long term. But I did buy a few looser fitting shirts at Burlington that are cute and super comfy. And I bought a pair of jeans at Kohls too - Lees relaxed fit straight leg. Still a bit snug at the button when I sit down, but they're almost as soft and comfortable as my maternity jeans. So I'm calling that a win for now. 

Best part is all the clothes can be dressed up or down depending on the shoes I wear. Except the NY Jets t-shirt I bought. There's no classing that up. :pb_lol: 

I'm with you on the last bit. I wore my NYR t shirt to work today. Appropriate? Probably not. Can anyone stop me? Never! :pb_lol: There's no  classing up a sports shirt lol

My beef with Old Navy is that things seem to fall apart very fast after they're brought home from the store. I like my trendy clothing to last at least until the next time that season rolls around, and with ON, it doesn't seem to happen for my kids. They, of course, have nothing that will fit me. We've given up going there.

Shouldn't these kids be married about now? Going along their usual 3 month engagement lines...

On facebook, apparently Duggars were supposed at Renee's Bridal in Kentucky a few days ago. 

18274903_1220810071351133_69348480496265

On 5/4/2017 at 8:31 AM, Four is Enough said:

And no pretty bras and panties.    I need a 48DD .    What I wear is good enough to be used for bridge construction - and looks it.   I want some pretty bras!   

7 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

And no pretty bras and panties.    I need a 48DD .    What I wear is good enough to be used for bridge construction - and looks it.   I want some pretty bras!   

I have had good luck with Roaman's.

31 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

Amen!  I want pretty!  My kohls has a decent supply of DD bras...and in more colors than white!  Even some were lacy and a bit prettier than I've found elsewhere.  But I miss when i was 19, a C cup, and alllllll the cheap and pretty bra and panty sets were available!  And I could wear cheaper bras cause they didn't need to support quite as much! 

6 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm with you on the last bit. I wore my NYR t shirt to work today. Appropriate? Probably not. Can anyone stop me? Never! :pb_lol: There's no  classing up a sports shirt lol

I'm kind of wearing one of my Rangers shirts today as well. But I am in a thousand depressions because I can't find my Lundqvist tee! :5624796058123_Aseaoftearscrying:

I haven't tried Roamans for a while. When I did, it was all polyester, cheap, and garish looking. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived